PDA

View Full Version : Clinton back to Palace?


GreatGonzo
04-11-2002, 11:40 AM
Rumour has it that Clinton had a clause put in his Birmingham contract that allows him to come back to Palace should we get into the premiership for a set fee.

Would this be a good thing for Palace? should we take advantage of the clause if we go up? who would you play him alongside?

Al From Bromley
04-11-2002, 11:43 AM
For goodness sake Gonzo!

brighton_eagle
04-11-2002, 11:43 AM
We'd have to see if/when we got promotion. Personally, I'd like to see him back.

Psychokiller
04-11-2002, 11:45 AM
If he has a clause like that in his contract then I'm fu¢king the queen up the back door!

Georgie Boy
04-11-2002, 11:47 AM
Blimey, do we need any more strikers!!?!?

Would rather a 4-5 million rated midfielder personally.

Samo*
04-11-2002, 11:47 AM
Gonzo stop speading rumors you mong!

AJ1969
04-11-2002, 11:58 AM
It's almost as bad as the Lombardo rumour

GreatGonzo
04-11-2002, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Psychokiller
If he has a clause like that in his contract then I'm fu¢king the queen up the back door!

Well then the queen is in for a big suprise! :D

ozzieEagle
04-11-2002, 12:13 PM
errr, sorry boys the emperor aint wearing any clothes !

he may well have been the most outstanding player whilst playing at selhurst.

cold hard viewpoint from 12,500 miles away.

"consistency" bit of a worry for the whole team that actually !

i thought Popovic, had premier form, but he is too injury prone, and beyond that he too has been inconsistant.

Which player, in this squad would be the most successful in the premier, it probably isnt necessarily the most outstanding one either !

Samo*
04-11-2002, 12:15 PM
Mullins:)

David
04-11-2002, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by ozzieEagle


i thought Popovic, had premier form, but he is too injury prone, and beyond that he too has been inconsistant.




Sorry, but I must disagree with you.

Tony Popovic has been outstanding for Palace since day 1!

He is a Premiership player, playing in the first division.

ozzieEagle
04-11-2002, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by David
Sorry, but I must disagree with you.

Tony Popovic has been outstanding for Palace since day 1!

He is a Premiership player, playing in the first division.

ive gotta admit, tis hard to tell from here, but boy, am i glad of that news ;)

Icy
04-11-2002, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by GreatGonzo
Rumour has it that Clinton had a clause put in his Birmingham contract that allows him to come back to Palace should we get into the premiership for a set fee.

Would this be a good thing for Palace? should we take advantage of the clause if we go up? who would you play him alongside?

I think we should play him next too Ronaldo, with Totti playing just behind them as some other **** told me an un-substantiated rumor that they both had clauses saying that they could also join palace on free transfers if we were interested.

You Mug C@nt

ozeagle
04-11-2002, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by ozzieEagle
errr, sorry boys the emperor aint wearing any clothes !

he may well have been the most outstanding player whilst playing at selhurst.

cold hard viewpoint from 12,500 miles away.

"consistency" bit of a worry for the whole team that actually !

i thought Popovic, had premier form, but he is too injury prone, and beyond that he too has been inconsistant.

Which player, in this squad would be the most successful in the premier, it probably isnt necessarily the most outstanding one either !

johnson, popovic, or kolinko...

Parkice
04-11-2002, 12:54 PM
from the Ipswich programme (Facts and Figures page 59)

Goals CONCEDED

Set piece goals
C PALACE
Corners 1
Free Kicks 1
Total 2


Popo is a rock at the back..... and great at defending set pieces...

ozeagle
04-11-2002, 12:55 PM
whatever happened to elwolfie/babes
:confused:

Parkice
04-11-2002, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by ozeagle
whatever happened to elwolfie/babes
:confused:

??????????

GreatGonzo
04-11-2002, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Icy
I think we should play him next too Ronaldo, with Totti playing just behind them as some other **** told me an un-substantiated rumor that they both had clauses saying that they could also join palace on free transfers if we were interested.

You Mug C@nt

If you are gonna be insulting you better be quick to apologise WHEN you find this out to be true.

Ok i put it down as 'Rumour has it' but i know it is more than that, as do a couple more BBS'rs, but your insulting behaviour makes me think that when i get substantiated rumour i should only share it with friends rather than people on here who obviously don't appreciate it!

Daddy Long
04-11-2002, 01:17 PM
I had heard similar things about Clinton.

Also I am very surprised that we have let so few goals in from corners. That used to be a real weakness of ours. We also never ever ever used to score from corners but thats not the case anymore either.

A Wooden Fish On Wheels
04-11-2002, 01:43 PM
Yes Clinton would be welcome to come back any time...

I wonder how long the clause stands for and what the fee would be. Also would he be able to agree personal terms?

Sounds like it is unlikely ever to happen. But it's a funny game.

Maidstoned Eagle
04-11-2002, 03:18 PM
Quote from yesterdays "Sport First"

"Thomas Kay: We sold Andy Johnson to Palace for £750,000 and now he's getting the goals, while Clinton Morrison makes the reverse journey and costs us £4.5m; and yet we are still waiting for any sort of proof that he is worth that sort of money.
Just what are his talents? Somebody please tell me. He is not very quick, can't dribble, head, cross and doesn't score many goals. Give big Geoff Horsfield more run outs please"

Has the Premiership found Clinton out?

arussell
04-11-2002, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by GreatGonzo
Rumour has it that Clinton had a clause put in his Birmingham contract that allows him to come back to Palace should we get into the premiership for a set fee.


Something like that ;)

We covered this before Gonzo - why bring it up again now ? :confused:

Snorwood Eagle
04-11-2002, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by GreatGonzo
Ok i put it down as 'Rumour has it' but i know it is more than that...

Gonz, you got any more details of this clause - Its quite unusual by the sounds of things...but if its all true, then there is a more than decent chance that Clint might end up in our colours once again! :p

Snorwood Eagle
04-11-2002, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Maidstoned Eagle
Quote from yesterdays "Sport First"

"Thomas Kay: We sold Andy Johnson to Palace for £750,000 and now he's getting the goals, while Clinton Morrison makes the reverse journey and costs us £4.5m; and yet we are still waiting for any sort of proof that he is worth that sort of money.
Just what are his talents? Somebody please tell me. He is not very quick, can't dribble, head, cross and doesn't score many goals. Give big Geoff Horsfield more run outs please"

Has the Premiership found Clinton out?


I think anyone that believes this quote has got the blinkers on. I've seen Clint a few times this season and he is playing very well. Him and Stern John are looking like a very promising partnership.

Where do these quotes originate from?! And does this Thomas Kay actually think he is some kind of authority on football. Its almost as laughable as Rodney Marsh giving Sven Goran Eriksson tips on running the England squad. Marsh couldn't run a bath properly, and I suspect Mr.Kay is probably a distant relation of his. :rolleyes:

Gooders
04-11-2002, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Maidstoned Eagle


Has the Premiership found Clinton out?

Sounds like that bloke is talking out of his starfish.

I had also started to wonder if Clint was struggling but having watched the highlights of Brum's game on Saturday he looked like their most influential player to me.

And that carthorse Horsfield only scored from a tap in after Clinton had had his shot touched on to a post.

Maidstoned Eagle
04-11-2002, 03:50 PM
Hey! Don't shoot the messenger! I also noticed that one of Brums goals came from a Morrison cross. Shurely shome mishtake?

Snorwood Eagle
04-11-2002, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Maidstoned Eagle
Hey! Don't shoot the messenger! I also noticed that one of Brums goals came from a Morrison cross. Shurely shome mishtake?

Not having a dig at you Maidstoned, just the bloke who was quoted. :p

wedgetail
04-11-2002, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Maidstoned Eagle
Hey! Don't shoot the messenger! I also noticed that one of Brums goals came from a Morrison cross. Shurely shome mishtake?

Not surprising as Clinton has a superb cross.

Gooders
04-11-2002, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Snorwood Eagle
Not having a dig at you Maidstoned, just the bloke who was quoted. :p

Me too!

Sounds like a fan that goes to the games but doesn't have a clue what he's talking about.

We don't have any of those. :)

Icy
04-11-2002, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by GreatGonzo
If you are gonna be insulting you better be quick to apologise WHEN you find this out to be true.

Ok i put it down as 'Rumour has it' but i know it is more than that, as do a couple more BBS'rs, but your insulting behaviour makes me think that when i get substantiated rumour i should only share it with friends rather than people on here who obviously don't appreciate it!

I dont appreciate it unless you have some sort of evidence or you can say where you got the info from. Even if youd said "i was driving my taxi the other day and youll never guess what blah blah etc said" i could have some kind of respect for the information possibly being true. Unfortunately you dont and it sounds like bollocks.

If im wrong then i will apologise!

LLCOOLSTEVE
04-11-2002, 06:36 PM
No thankyou, we dont need him back.

Latvian
04-11-2002, 06:57 PM
He loves us as much as we love him...AJ and Clint up front or re-unite him with dougie

Sir.S.C Remembered
04-11-2002, 07:08 PM
Maidstone's cross was from my thread that I got off teamtalk have your say not "Sport First"

davematt
04-11-2002, 07:11 PM
where the f*** do you get these from gonzo. Why would Clinton want to leave Birmingham, and come back to us, even if we did get back to the premiership ONE DAY!!!!!

anti-addick
04-11-2002, 07:18 PM
I thought you said that you haven't got any time free at the moment?? Yet here I see you've got plenty to say and write when we're all waiting for our next match. Sheffield or Nottingham??

Granada allover
04-11-2002, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Psychokiller
If he has a clause like that in his contract then I'm fu¢king the queen up the back door!

Arise, Sir Psycho...

:eek:

PalaceFan in Alabama
04-11-2002, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Snorwood Eagle
Its almost as laughable as Rodney Marsh giving Sven Goran Eriksson tips on running the England squad. Marsh couldn't run a bath properly,

Based on your age, I assume that someone has told you about Rodney Marsh, because let me tell you right now that RM was a class player and as to his opinions on running the England squad, surely someone who lives in a glass house should not throw stones :D :p

Al From Bromley
04-11-2002, 11:52 PM
Lets exhume Johnny Byrne. He's available on a free. For god's sake. This thread is SUCH a waste of time.

LLCOOLSTEVE
05-11-2002, 12:02 AM
But Al, i thought Kenny Sansom was available on a free too??! :confused:

Stavros 69
05-11-2002, 12:15 AM
I dont want Clinton back at all. Ok he did a great job for us and he loved the club i didnt particular like to watch him play. He was good and a great talent no doubt but i like to look forward and hope Ade comes back to the player he used to be. Come on big Ade Get well soon and scoring goals. :afro:

Snorwood Eagle
05-11-2002, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by PalaceFan in Alabama
Based on your age, I assume that someone has told you about Rodney Marsh, because let me tell you right now that RM was a class player and as to his opinions on running the England squad, surely someone who lives in a glass house should not throw stones :D :p

PFiA, yes, I know of Rodney Marsh's ability as a player, and I don't doubt, he was class on the pitch. But he throws around scathing comments week in, week out with his cronies on Sky. I find him pretty patronising in all truth, but I guess thats just my opinion. Surely though, you can't take that quote from Joe Bloggs (whatever his name was) seriously though. Clinton has looked like he belongs in the Premiership from the word go.

(Btw, good homework on my age!) :p

PalaceFan in Alabama
05-11-2002, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by Snorwood Eagle
Surely though, you can't take that quote from Joe Bloggs (whatever his name was) seriously though. Clinton has looked like he belongs in the Premiership from the word go.

My comments was purely about Marsh, as for comments about Clinton by some arsehole in Brum is of little importance to me !

(Btw, good homework on my age!) :p

Very easy, just look at your profile :hmph:

StevieCsredandbluearmy
05-11-2002, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Icy
I think we should play him next too Ronaldo, with Totti playing just behind them as some other **** told me an un-substantiated rumor that they both had clauses saying that they could also join palace on free transfers if we were interested.

You Mug C@nt

Along with Zidane, Figo and Rivaldo, I heard.

brighton_eagle
05-11-2002, 11:36 AM
I heard this about Clint's contract just after he left for Brum too, from a reliable source. Perhaps those being so rude are the c@nts, or at least will feel so if and when this comes out.

Gooders
05-11-2002, 11:51 AM
Just found this on one of the Brum sites

"I have never been much of a Horsfield fan although I didn't get on his back last year. He has looked good coming on as sub but I am not sure he is the answer(today he made a massive difference though.
I have never liked John and didn't want us to buy Morrison in the first place. However, initially, they looked good together, all gone out of the window now. I don't think Bruce has faith in our wingers and demands they perform defensively first (I reckon anyway). I don't see the point of that, we don't need 4 full backs. If we arent going to have wingers playing as wingers we may as well lose them all together. I would go 4-3-3. with someone like tebily or powell or carter acting as a **** off triumverate, with full backs pushing up a bit in support. We cpould then play John and the ugly chuffer up front augmented by Horsfield, maybe. My choice would be for Kirovski or Hughes to be a little linker though between midfield and attack. A witty little tricky chuffer anyway, who can spring a surprise."

The "ugly chuffer" is Clint, by the way.

Couple of thoughts emerge:

They seem to be getting on his back already then (how could anyone prefer that donkey Horsfield? :confused: )

They obviously have a fair few master tacticians amongst their fans, just like us. :)

Oh and they seem to think that Kirovski will make a difference. :D

brighton_eagle
05-11-2002, 11:56 AM
Barstewards!!! How dare they treat Clint like that....

Flucking brummies
:veryangry

Duke
05-11-2002, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Gooders


Oh and they seem to think that Kirovski will make a difference. :D

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

clowns:clown: :clown: :clown: :clown: :clown: :clown: :clown: :clown:

Duke
05-11-2002, 12:59 PM
it would be a strange clause to include in a contract - why do it?

Bruce has said that CM was always his 1st choice target, so why run the risk of letting him after just one year ;)

El Aguila
05-11-2002, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Duke
it would be a strange clause to include in a contract - why do it?

Bruce has said that CM was always his 1st choice target, so why run the risk of letting him after just one year ;)
Well, maybe he wouldn't sign otherwise. F*ck knows. These clauses aren't exactly unheard of. Anyway if they start getting on his back and he doesn't particularly like it up there, he won't score goals, for sure - he needs the crowd on his side.

Duke
05-11-2002, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by El Aguila
These clauses aren't exactly unheard of.

You reckon?!? I can't think of anything even near what is being suggested.

x amount of money and such and such bonuses - yes that would make sense but a clause that he must be allowed to sign for the palace is unheard of.

Maybe if a bid of X was received then he could leave I might believe this a tad more.

GreatGonzo
05-11-2002, 01:43 PM
Duke, as outlined earlier in the thread, there is a figure of x involved, however i do not know how much it is, likely to to be in excess of £5m i would have thought.

Duke
05-11-2002, 01:53 PM
oops - sorry missed that a certain figure had been quoted.

makes more sense now.

but not sure palace will spend £5 mill on a player - even if we get promoted.

GreatGonzo
05-11-2002, 02:00 PM
Never said we would sign him, just let people know it was a possibility if we got promoted to sign the guy who on the way back from Walsall said to a mate on the phone 'yeah WE won 4-3'

He loved his time at Palace and wanted to play for US in the premiership, maybe he will one day.

Sick Bucket
05-11-2002, 02:12 PM
Nice one Gonzo ignore the co(k dishing out the abuse, totally uncalled for.
Personally I would welcome anyone back who had talent and a genuine passion for Palace, don't suppose it will ever happen but you never know, if we swopped places with the brum scum and they failed to go back up........

RichieG
05-11-2002, 03:07 PM
Clinton is a Palace fan, and I'd have him back any day we needed to spend whatever £x is for a striker.

Oh and Icy........you're the c@nt round here, if you knew any of the characters on here and the previous threads you would have already known that something like this was in his contract.

This board is about rumours......if you don't like them fack off.....there's plenty of other threads to read.

Cheers Gonzo!

Duke
05-11-2002, 05:11 PM
Would be great to have him back at the palace. if it happens I would be chuffed.

Brum fans haven;t got clue what talent is if they think horsefield is a better player

Daddy Long
05-11-2002, 05:18 PM
I would have Clinton back in a flash. He's a top class striker and has feelings for palace. What more could you ask for?

El Aguila
05-11-2002, 05:25 PM
Hear, hear. But it would be particularly sweet if he was driven out of Brum by their whinging fans, then triumphed with us in the Premiership after re-joining at a cut-price fee. Where are all those Blues fans that used to hang around here, by the way? Would be interesting to hear what they reckon on Clinton.

Jon Thompson
05-11-2002, 05:33 PM
I thought we had been told that he doesn't like Jordan or Francis. Does this clause include a new chairman and manager?

SIKO
06-11-2002, 09:08 AM
Gonzo is right, and I suggest you get the vaseline ready PK, sounds like you are going to need it.
Those of you who doubt Clintons loyalty to Palace, every opportunity he gets, he watches Palace, especially if its down Birmingham way. If he is back up this way, and Palace are playing at home, thats where you will find him.

Men At Work
06-11-2002, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by GreatGonzo
Never said we would sign him, just let people know it was a possibility if we got promoted to sign the guy who on the way back from Walsall said to a mate on the phone 'yeah WE won 4-3'

It's really sweet that he still has a fondness for his old club over his curent one. Makes you wonder why TF was criticised for exactly the same thing. And how would TF and Clinton get on if certain things did come to pass?

Maidstoned Eagle
06-11-2002, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Snorwood Eagle
But he throws around scathing comments week in, week out with his cronies on Sky. I find him pretty patronising in all truth

Just replace SKY with BBS and then there is never a truer word spoken.

AndyChapman
06-11-2002, 10:26 AM
I doubt it!

Psychokiller
06-11-2002, 11:46 AM
Gonzo is right, and I suggest you get the vaseline ready PK, sounds like you are going to need it.
Those of you who doubt Clintons loyalty to Palace, every opportunity he gets, he watches Palace, especially if its down Birmingham way. If he is back up this way, and Palace are playing at home, thats where you will find him.



Sorry, but I can't see Birmingham City paying <>£4m for a player and allowing a clause in his contract that allows him to leave for a set fee if his former club gets promoted.

Say that fee was set at £6m and he finished the Premiership's top scorer. People like Liverpool, Inter Milan etc were offering £20m+ for him. Brum would be duty bound to sell him to Palace for £6m, who could then sell him on at a £14m profit.

Get real!

Gooders
06-11-2002, 11:59 AM
Pk - there is definitely something in it, because loads of people have hinted that they know about it (people who don't only post rumours all the time).

I would guess. though, that it's not much more than 1st refusal if we go up and if Brum go down.

Doubt there's a specific figure in there either.

Cleon
06-11-2002, 12:22 PM
Ludicrous. This whole thread and the idea.

The only clause that might exist could be that Palace may have first option if Morrison was to be sold on. Such a clause would be essentially irrelevant unless Palace were in the Premiership, hence this garbled version. But Palace would certainly have to match any other offers Birmingham might receive.

SIKO
06-11-2002, 02:17 PM
I typed what I did this morning in haste. Palace do have first refusal if Birmingham sell him, and obviously there is a clause in there if Birmingham get relegated. Im not sure if amounts are in the clause, but certainly Jordan insisted on the first refusal bit.

So, you never know, he could end up back at Palace sooner than you think

wedgetail
06-11-2002, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Psychokiller
Sorry, but I can't see Birmingham City paying <>£4m for a player and allowing a clause in his contract that allows him to leave for a set fee if his former club gets promoted.
.....
Get real!
What I can see is a club allowing a clause in a contract that says a player can (even must) leave should they be relegated.

Justin
06-11-2002, 03:59 PM
If only we had included similar "sale on return" clauses with most of our big money purchases. If not happy within 28 days return goods to sender for full refund... Ade, Emblem, Gabbiadini, Flanagan, Allen, Taylor, Bodin, Padanavo .........

StevieCsredandbluearmy
07-11-2002, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by SIKO
I typed what I did this morning in haste. Palace do have first refusal if Birmingham sell him, and obviously there is a clause in there if Birmingham get relegated. Im not sure if amounts are in the clause, but certainly Jordan insisted on the first refusal bit.

So, you never know, he could end up back at Palace sooner than you think

Playing devil's advocate here, do we want him back given AJs form? Yes, of course we do and then we can sell Akinbiyi to Bruce!!

StevieCsredandbluearmy
07-11-2002, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Justin
If only we had included similar "sale on return" clauses with most of our big money purchases. If not happy within 28 days return goods to sender for full refund... Ade, Emblem, Gabbiadini, Flanagan, Allen, Taylor, Bodin, Padanavo .........

Add Brolin, Harrison, Granville, that Israeli bloke whose name I cannot remember, Ishmael and, probably, many more.

kolinkins
07-11-2002, 10:55 AM
surely its not too illogical for there to be a first refusal for palace, and a set fee if brum go down and we go up?

TAK
13-11-2002, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by SIKO


So, you never know, he could end up back at Palace sooner than you think

That's the most positive post you,ve made in ages SIKO, so you do believe we could go up and may have the fianaces to purchase a Premiereship standard player? :)

glaziers fan
21-11-2002, 03:31 AM
Originally posted by El Aguila
Hear, hear. But it would be particularly sweet if he was driven out of Brum by their whinging fans, then triumphed with us in the Premiership after re-joining at a cut-price fee. Where are all those Blues fans that used to hang around here, by the way? Would be interesting to hear what they reckon on Clinton.

I don't care if the fee was 6m! All that would mean is we bought Johnson for 2.25m! Bargain! I would buy him back as long as Johnson is not involved in the deal!