PDA

View Full Version : Is it the end for Leicester? (started in 2000)

LP
07-06-2000, 10:47 PM
Being a bitter and twisted sod I for one have always yearned for the day when Leicester get relegated ever since they wrecked my summer and enjoyment of Euro 96 a few years back at Wembley. Now O'Neill has gone could this finally be their time to return to the nationwide? Lets hope so.

Small number
07-06-2000, 11:00 PM
they will go down unlkess they get Taylor! (peter)

------------------

In the words of crowded house:
Don't dream it's over!

In the words of me: 'The wise will one day rise'

richit
08-06-2000, 03:14 AM
Depends if the big names take a swift route out of the club. I'd give them two years tops in the Premier League regardless.

Gooders
09-06-2000, 02:19 PM
If the core of their team remains (and the soundbytes coming out just now imply that they will) then there is absolutely no danger of them being relegated. There are many, many worse teams than Leicester in the Premier League.

Thye have had an unbelievable work ethic under O'Neill (easily the most determined team in any league over the past few years) and it will be interesting to see if it carries on now that he's gone.

Spanish Dan
09-06-2000, 02:35 PM
I think Wimbledon are a prime example of how hard it is to replace a good manager. It wouldn't surprise me to see Leicester go the same way, but probably not next year.

Pistike
09-06-2000, 02:51 PM
So where has he gone?

Clapham Grand
09-06-2000, 03:07 PM
Now that NTL have snapped up a 9.9% stake in the club, giving the Foxes some 11m, you would have to fancy them staying up for a few seasons to come.

John 24
09-06-2000, 11:20 PM
Agreed, also all their big names have come out and said they'll stay now. Leicester won't be going down for a long time to come if they get even a half decent manager.

Mat ov CPFC
10-06-2000, 03:30 PM
I have always thought that Leicester are the best role model for a club going into the premiership and I hope that they stay there.

I knew that they where doing the right things when the press started slagging them off for being 'negative'. There understanding of the word seems to mean that a team refuses to roll over and die for the premiership big boys.

Anyways lets hope that Clowntown are called 'plucky' all season by the Scorp's as that is media code for going right back down again.

Ian of Chatham
10-06-2000, 03:49 PM
I agree with your points on Leicester, Mat. I'm going against the grain when I say this but despite the play-off final I never hated Leicester. They put on that 10 foot tall goalkeeper late in extra time to stop all the penalties, but by doing that caught us off guard and Claridge's goal went in. OK that was devastating at the time but I don't hold it against them for ever. I doubt if there are many Sheffield Utd fans who will hate us forever because of what happened the following year.

[This message has been edited by Ian of Chatham (edited 10 June 2000).]

LP
15-06-2000, 10:40 PM
I suppose my opinion of Leicester hasn't been helped by the fact that all their fans I ever meet seem to be a bunch of total w*****s. My girlfriend's family are from near Leicester (although naturally she supports chelsea) and I've not met a more unfriendly bunch of people, with the exception of possibley Man Utd supporters and a few others.
As for Sheffield United, well I'm afraid many of their fans do harbour a grudge if the nasty behaviour of several that I came across after our recent home game with them is anything to go by.

leicester1
25-06-2010, 11:12 PM
10 years ago,does'nt time fly.:D .................:sob: ...............:cool:

hilairehair
25-06-2010, 11:35 PM
Bit of a mardy thread, me ducks. Shouldn't be having a cob on about Lesta. It's bad enough living here.

cpfc4evandeva
26-06-2010, 09:29 AM
they will go down unlkess they get Taylor! (peter)

:D

leicester1
26-06-2010, 10:57 AM
Hilaire,.....perfect local accent,you'll struggle to lose it mind,

Akinbyi and Peter Taylor season,lost 5-0 at home to Bolton on the opening day,painful.

cpfc4evandeva
26-06-2010, 11:23 AM
Hilaire,.....perfect local accent,you'll struggle to lose it mind,

Akinbyi and Peter Taylor season,lost 5-0 at home to Bolton on the opening day,painful.

Dennis Wise too if I remember correctly?

leicester1
26-06-2010, 11:34 AM
Can't remember when Wise joined us,i'd have to see a fixture list to jog my memory as don't think i missed a home game that season.Main things that stick out from that final season at Filbert Street are the Bolton game,Akinbyi's woeful finishing week after week,and the cracking atmosphere next to the Spurs fans standing in the ramshackle East Stand on the final day......Matty Piper scoring the winner for us.

917L
26-06-2010, 12:06 PM
Team from that day

Leicester: Flowers (http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=2562), Sinclair (http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=7315), Rowett (http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=6911), Elliott (http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=2314), Davidson (http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=11188) (Junior Lewis (http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=12828), 47 ) , Impey (http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=3787), Savage (http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=7051), Wise (http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=8639), Izzet (http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=3834), Sturridge (http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=7701) (Gunnlaugsson (http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=10525), 47 ) , Akinbiyi (http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=62) (Marshall (http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=10695), 47 )
Subs not used: Royce (http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=6916),Benjamin (http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=9124),

leicester1
26-06-2010, 12:43 PM
Cheers 917l,

Flowers - very popular and a good keeper,after the end of each game won he used to come over to our kop pen 3 and 4 usually,punching the air,after a nervous start for the team this happened less and less.

Sinclair - i'm not saying a word.....

Rowett -he put the effort in.

Elliot - top bloke,as well as pure quality at centre half he used to win games at the other end.....v Villa,league cup semi,his goal gave us the opportunity to sing Brums song for almost the entire 2nd half,then hit both goals at Wembley to bring home the cup.

Davidson - another trier and it seems he's popular at Preston even now.

Junior Lewis - more out of his depth than some of the others.

Impey - popular on the wing,and pretty sure he was occasionally asked to play out of position.

Savage - likes his money and fame,and to be honest for us he ear'nt it,

Wise - you do surprise me that we had him in the team,can't have made much of an impression football wise.

Izzet - fans favourite,effort,quality,spectacular goals,should have gone further in football.

Sturridge, ex Derby but he made an effort and scored a few goals.

Gunnlaugsson - fraid nothing sticks out,a bit of regression and it would all come back.

Akinbyi - words fakkin fail me,deep breaths....hmm.......hmmm....hmm....

Marshal - warhorse,proper fans player,scruffy i don't care about money attitude,i saw him at Beaumont Leys the week he signed and could'nt believe it.Always gave his all and put his head in where it hurt,...and for that short period at Athletico Madrids ground when a couple of hundred of our fans were in the Athletico end ringed by police and we sang our heads off after he scored.......Respect to Ian Marshall.

Royce - decent keeper,

Benjamin - much travelled trev,felt sorry for him as it never quite wworked out,a bit out of his depth but i retain good memories of him.

We were short on quality that year,Taylor spent a lot of money for players that did'nt perform,there was a lot of effort but it was never going to be good enough,i think we were already relegated with a couple of games to go.

The home fans in pen 1 part of our by now seated kop had refused to sit down all season,Spurs last day of the season was the last time our fans called the shots at a home match,unbelivably wild kop rushes and atmosphere.....police left everyone too it.

Just to explain,this is both a summary of our season and also a general impression of a couple of players during their time here....i could of sworn Matty Piper scored in the final game.

ElwissAtMemphis
26-06-2010, 01:40 PM
Akinbyi - words fakkin fail me,deep breaths....hmm.......hmmm....hmm....

You should be grateful that you saw him at his supposed best.

We got the frankly surreal announcement that we'd paid over 2 million for a striker who had become the biggest laughing stock in football. I assume that most fans, like me, thought that he'd been the victim of a witch-hunt by the press and that he'd eventually come good. It took about 15 minutes to dispel that bit of wishful thinking.

The complete lack of ball control. A total inability to head the ball. A curious lack of pace (what the hell was his game based on anyway?) But we also had the embarassing evidence of an enormous and misplaced ego. The 5+5 shirt number because somebody already had No 10. The unspeakably awful habit of ripping his shirt off and flexing his over-developed torso infront of the fans when his first goal bobbled in off his shin from 3 yards (after about 15 appearances)

If he'd spent half of the time on the training pitch practicing his finished as he obviously did in the gym he might have been a better player. Our worst signing ever. I usually feel inclined to feel sorry for players who fail so spectacularly; he was just an embarassment.

cpfc4evandeva
26-06-2010, 02:56 PM
We got the frankly surreal announcement that we'd paid over 2 million for a striker who had become the biggest laughing stock in football.

Paying 1million for Macken wasn't much better, but I'd say 75% of our fans thought it was a great signing. I just shook my head and realised that the Dowies were starting to lose it.

leicester1
26-06-2010, 05:21 PM
Elwiss,

Good summary though a bit over kind to the player.I'd forgotten he went to Palace,2 Million you say.......that was outright madness and one hell of a gamble on someones reccomendation......we brought him for 5 mill.....crazy money,we sure suffered for that season in a financial sense.

Akinbyi's main strength as i remember was creating space for himself to run on to through balls,countless times he was one on one with the opposition keeper,........never an end product though.

Gooders
26-06-2010, 09:49 PM
I read today that Leicesters manager would be leaving to take over at Hull.

Why on earth would he do that?!!!

cpfc4evandeva
26-06-2010, 09:51 PM
Really?

Can't understand that one either.

The Gerry Queen
26-06-2010, 09:52 PM
I read today that Leicesters manager would be leaving to take over at Hull.

Why on earth would he do that?!!!

Hull must have persuaded him that they are on course for financial stability. Pearson took a league one side to the Championship Play offs in two seasons and hardly spent at all. I guess they like the sound of that as they will have no cash to splash this year or next.

hook
27-06-2010, 12:27 AM
These sort of managerial moves annoy the bejesus out of me. The whisper is that Pearson wasn't offered enough money to himself or in transfer kitty.
Some of these managers need to wake up. Clubs at this level need to reign in the spending or basically go through what we went through and I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Ian Holloway showed what can be done with no cash and these guys need to follow suit.
No doubt we are soon to hear a self-serving "The club needs to match my ambition" speech from Pearson. Leicester are a great club, well set up and from what I can see well run. He should be so lucky at Hull.
As for me I can sit here and get more annoyed as Leicester pinch some one elses disloyal ambitious manager and in the mean time ruin another clubs hopes for the season.

leicester1
27-06-2010, 07:49 AM
Looks like Pearson is due to be announced as Hulls new manager on Monday.
He must think he has a better chance of promotion to the Premier with Hull and a bag full of Parachute payments....mug.

Shame it's turned out like this after the previous 2 years,but life moves on and a new chapter begins......Palace v Leicester - battle of the new managers,exciting times,:p

gold76
27-06-2010, 08:30 AM
I've tipped Leicester & Forest to go up automatically this season (kiss of death!) Feel Leicester lack goals & if they can address this they'll be frontrunners again.

Pearson leaving is a blow, wonder who will be in the frame?

The Gerry Queen
27-06-2010, 08:58 AM
Looks like Pearson is due to be announced as Hulls new manager on Monday.
He must think he has a better chance of promotion to the Premier with Hull and a bag full of Parachute payments....mug.

Shame it's turned out like this after the previous 2 years,but life moves on and a new chapter begins......Palace v Leicester - battle of the new managers,exciting times,:p

Sadly it seems true. Unbelievably Pearson apparantly shaded it from Ian Holloway !!!! .... who is clearly not relishing the prospect of 38 cup finals with Blackpool.

Pearson won't get a sniff of the parachute cash. I'ts all earmarked into their debt restructure. They like Pearson because he didn't sign expensive players and has a winning mentality in this division. I think that Adam Pearson has painted a very rosy picture for Nigel P , much as Jordan embellished the truth when Warnock came to us.

Mickey Adams back to the Walkers according to the BBC today ? Hope not for your sakes.

Gooders
27-06-2010, 09:00 AM
Hull have placed every single player on the transfer list and as someone else has said, won't be reinvesting much in the team.

Pearson is a feckin' eejut if you ask me.

adrenalin john
27-06-2010, 09:18 AM
Milan Mandric, Milan Madric, Milan Mandric, Milan Madric, Milan Mandric, Milan Madric, Milan Mandric, Milan Madric, Milan Mandric, Milan Madric, Milan Mandric, Milan Madric, Milan Mandric, Milan Madric, Milan Mandric, Milan Madric, Milan Mandric, Milan Madric, Milan Mandric, Milan Madric, Milan Mandric, Milan Madric, Milan Mandric, Milan Madric, Milan Mandric, Milan Madric, Milan Mandric, Milan Madric, Milan Mandric, Milan Madric, Milan Mandric, Milan Madric,

m355y
27-06-2010, 10:54 AM
Can't believe Pearson's leaving to join Hull, what a twit. See this as a pretty damaging move for both him and Leicester, Pearson gave them the continuity, the consistancy after years of Mandaric dicking about appointing a new manager every fortnight. They built up momentum and started moving in the right direction - now what happens is anyones guess.

As a neutral Pearson's departure makes me rethink quite a lot how strong they're going to be next season.

917L
27-06-2010, 11:03 AM
You should be grateful that you saw him at his supposed best.

We got the frankly surreal announcement that we'd paid over 2 million for a striker who had become the biggest laughing stock in football. I assume that most fans, like me, thought that he'd been the victim of a witch-hunt by the press and that he'd eventually come good. It took about 15 minutes to dispel that bit of wishful thinking.

The complete lack of ball control. A total inability to head the ball. A curious lack of pace (what the hell was his game based on anyway?) But we also had the embarassing evidence of an enormous and misplaced ego. The 5+5 shirt number because somebody already had No 10. The unspeakably awful habit of ripping his shirt off and flexing his over-developed torso infront of the fans when his first goal bobbled in off his shin from 3 yards (after about 15 appearances)

If he'd spent half of the time on the training pitch practicing his finished as he obviously did in the gym he might have been a better player. Our worst signing ever. I usually feel inclined to feel sorry for players who fail so spectacularly; he was just an embarassment.

I agree witheverything there Elwiss, but he actually scored on his 4th appearance for us (then not for a long time afterwards)

telodaja
27-06-2010, 11:40 AM
I remember seeing a pre-season freindly at the Gills and Akinbiyi ran our back four ragged, so much so I told my son in all confidence "we should buy him looks like he will be a great striker". :o

My son used to take great joy in reminding me everytime we watched him miss for Leicester, wiped the smile of his face when we did buy him though. :D