PDA

View Full Version : Kabba to Sheff Utd for 250k

Mateyboy
12-11-2002, 12:52 PM
That regular source of fact, The Daily Star, reports that Neil Warnock has targeted Steve Kabba in his search for a striker.

Likely?

What about previous Francis target, Michael Brown, in part-ex?

Farnboro' Eagle
12-11-2002, 12:55 PM
It's on teletext page 312 as well (also linked to someone else, but I can't remember who is was now).

sydnsteve
12-11-2002, 01:52 PM
Regretably, stupidly, he will go.

Panther
12-11-2002, 02:01 PM
Teletext suggest it's a loan move, which would seem unlikely at present.

kolinkins
12-11-2002, 02:22 PM
let him go - his recent comments show that he is not committed to the palace cause.

kit82
12-11-2002, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Farnboro' Eagle
It's on teletext page 312 as well (also linked to someone else, but I can't remember who is was now).

Kevin Kyle of Sunderland I think.

He wont be allowed to go out on loan, otherwise he wouldnt have been brought back!

I hope he is given a decent chance at Palace before he is let go again, whether on loan or permenantly.

Dave
12-11-2002, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by kolinkins
let him go - his recent comments show that he is not committed to the palace cause.

Are you taking the piss?

kolinkins
12-11-2002, 02:52 PM
ummm, no. he has recently said that he wanted to stay at grimsby, and he didnt want to be on the bench at palace. if he really wanted to play here, he would have been glad to be back, no matter how.

Dave
12-11-2002, 02:53 PM
ummm, no. he has recently said that he wanted to stay at grimsby, and he didnt want to be on the bench at palace. if he really wanted to play here, he would have been glad to be back, no matter how.

:S:

PalaceFan in Alabama
12-11-2002, 03:01 PM
he has recently said that he wanted to stay at grimsby, and he didnt want to be on the bench at palace. if he really wanted to play here, he would have been glad to be back, no matter how.

You do understand what he was saying don't you?

Cyneagle
12-11-2002, 03:04 PM
"With no disrespect to Grimsby, Palace are a better side and I think I could score more goals with them because of the quality balls the wingers put in.

"At Grimsby it's been more of a case of making my own chances.

"I just want to play first team football, and now I have done well playing for Grimsby I want to do the same for Palace - I'm a Croydon boy. They are my team. I don't want to come back and play in the reserves - I've had a taste of first team action and it's so different. I'm doing okay and enjoying my football."

Kabba has kept in touch with the Palace players and called in to the Beckenham training ground on Wednesday.

He said: "I was down about a month ago and Trevor Francis told me Grimsby had asked if they could keep me until the end of the season. When I saw Trevor this week he said the loan wouldn't be extended which means he wants me back at Palace - and he wouldn't have said that to me if I wasn't part of his plans."

Jimbo ?
12-11-2002, 03:05 PM
as sheff utd are 1 of our serious rivals this year - it wont happen - if anywhere he will go back to grimsby who we could do with taking points of the top teams like sheffutd watford forest and alike

Will S
12-11-2002, 03:32 PM
I should think the Grimsby manager might have a word with TF if Kabba goes out on loan to Sheff Utd in the near future.

If we have a much admired emerging striker making an impressive adjustment to First Div football, could he not do it Palace colours?? I'd have thought he's worth a run in the side now with Adebola dropping to the bench.

David of Kent
12-11-2002, 03:37 PM
Warnock likes playing hard-ball doesn't he over transfers and quoting silly prices for his players (was it 5m he thought Michael Brown was worth). Well I concede that Kabba is only 1/2 the player Brown is, so he can have him for 2.5million ;)

arussell
12-11-2002, 04:27 PM
Kabba likes contradicting himself doesn't he !

He'll be moved on - which is right - since we have five strikers already to choose from. As I've said before - something has to give, and it won't be the four choices we already have.

Would you play him in front of Johnson or Freedman for example ?

Gazza2
12-11-2002, 04:32 PM
He is poor. No 1st touch. God knows how he managed to score some goals for Grimsby. Maybe, all the oppo defenders were up the other end trying 2 score as Grimsby are such a poor side.
He is behind Freedman, AJ, Dele, Akinbyi, Gareth Williams and Routledge. So let him go and bank some cash in January.
Always came across as a little bit arrogant to me when I used to use the same dressing rooms (when Palace trained at Natwest Sports Ground a couple of seasons ago).

Daddy Long
12-11-2002, 04:36 PM
He is not behind Williams. If he was Williams would have come on vs Forest. And he's not behind Routledge as Wayne is to be used as a wide right winger. So infact, at the end of the season the only players he'll be behind are Dougs, AJ and Ade. I doubt we'll keep Adebola on. In those circumstances it would be wise to keep Kabba. He is certainly not bad for a 4th choice striker.

arussell
12-11-2002, 04:38 PM
The four strikers refered to are of course Johnson, Adebola, Freedman and AKINBIYI (!)

I'd also rank him behind Williams, although he's ahead by virtue that he's played first team football.

bald-eagle
12-11-2002, 04:44 PM
IMO Kabba hasn't shown enough, or had the chance to, to warrant being in the team. Perhaps a couple of sub apearances and he'll look the part a bit more. I'm sure this is what TF is thinking. I didn't think he did anything above average on Saturday. I'd still like to see Williams come on as sub a couple of times to see how he gets on.

Gooders
12-11-2002, 05:05 PM
He was bound to say something nice about Grimsby so as not to alienate their fans wasn't he? There was never a chance that he would end up there permanently as they are skint.

I haven't seen anything like enough of him to know whether he'll make it or not (chances are that if we let him go, he will :rolleyes: ).

But no one can argue that he's currently down the pecking order and therefore very likely to leave in January.

And I thought all footballers were arrogant to a degree? Can't say I blame them.

kolinkins
12-11-2002, 05:39 PM
he may have sadi nice things about palace, but if he was 100%, then he would not have been miserable about coming back to palace. what gets me, is that is, say TF was to say something along those lines, there would be calls of TF out etc. even if it was a player such as deano, some fans would say let him go. for my money, kabba has done far less for palace than any 'unpopular' characters such as TF, deano et al.

Clapham Grand
12-11-2002, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by arussell
The four strikers refered to are of course Johnson, Adebola, Freedman and AKINBIYI (!)

I'd also rank him behind Williams, although he's ahead by virtue that he's played first team football.

can't disagree with that. Will we get any money for him though as his contract's up at the end of the season?

LLCOOLSTEVE
12-11-2002, 09:02 PM
Next home game against Grimsby innit?? be interesting if he plays...

Gazza2
13-11-2002, 09:35 AM
Routledge has been used as centre forward (for last period of Gills home game). I would assume if he was fit, and although best posistion is wide right, he would be ahead of Kabba in centre forward rankings.

Accept that Williams may be behind Kabba in TF's rankings now, but I feel this will change by end of season.

Beanie
13-11-2002, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Clapham Grand
can't disagree with that. Will we get any money for him though as his contract's up at the end of the season?

No free transfers for players under 24. We get paid "compensation" for all the time and effort developing him. Won't be as much as we might have got as a transfer fee, but the club will have to pay something.

cpfcben
13-11-2002, 11:21 AM
the truth of the matter is that kabba has never played hi sbest football with us and therefore it is hard for us to comment on whether he i sgood enough of not. he obviously did really well at an underachieving club which shows has some potential and that he must be given a chance to prove himself

Jimbo ?
13-11-2002, 11:24 AM
maybe not - but 6 in 14 games for a team near the bottom for a youngster - he must stay with us till we see what he can do with a run in the first team!

Snorwood Eagle
13-11-2002, 11:27 AM
Kabba should be given a chance in Palace colours - and for a decent period of time. We can all say that we've not seen enough of him, etc, etc, but he hasn't been given the opportunity for us as yet. He is on form, and confident, and this is the ideal time for him to break into the first team.

This guy has the potential to be a real class act - Remember he is still very young (21?) and has already proved that he can do a job against defences in this division. I know AJ is red hot at the moment, but Steve would be a perfect replacement when his form inevitably wilts. Letting him go would be a big mistake, and with his best years very much ahead of him it wouldn't surprise me if he comes back to haunt us if we do.

sydnsteve
13-11-2002, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Snorwood Eagle
Kabba should be given a chance in Palace colours - and for a decent period of time. We can all say that we've not seen enough of him, etc, etc, but he hasn't been given the opportunity for us as yet. He is on form, and confident, and this is the ideal time for him to break into the first team.

This guy has the potential to be a real class act - Remember he is still very young (21?) and has already proved that he can do a job against defences in this division. I know AJ is red hot at the moment, but Steve would be a perfect replacement when his form inevitably wilts. Letting him go would be a big mistake, and with his best years very much ahead of him it wouldn't surprise me if he comes back to haunt us if we do.

Couldn't have put it better myself (and probably didn't).

OKnotOK
14-11-2002, 12:16 PM
According to the reports, he is gone:

http://www.teamtalk.com/teamtalk/Team_News/0,1562,16,00.html#552235

http://www.planetfootball.co.uk/article.asp?id=118832&cpid=10&title=Blades+move+for+Kabba&clid=31

Expected within the next 24 hours.

They must have called him back having been told Sheff U wanted him permanently.

What is gonna happen while Dougie is out? Will Tommy Black be cover or will they bring in Gareth Williams maybe?

Skin Up
14-11-2002, 12:19 PM
Put your house on him to score on the 30th.

RDSdaEAGLE
14-11-2002, 12:41 PM
What a shame for Grimsby...they've missed out, and will no doubt suffer from it.

arussell
14-11-2002, 01:16 PM
From the Sheff U Website .....

United's attempts to sign striker Steve Kabba has hit a stumbling
block and the deal is now on hold.

Kabba, 21, was due at Bramall Lane for talks on Thursday afternoon
but will not make the trip north after transfer talks were halted.
United wanted to sign Kabba on loan for a month with a view to a
permanent deal should he have impressed, but the player - and
Crystal Palace boss Trevor Francis - did not agree to the loan.
Neil Warnock explains: "The thing is Steve doesn't want to go on
loan anywhere and Trevor Francis isn't keen on that either - they
are looking for a permanent deal. At this moment in time, it is on
hold.

"We will keep an eye on the situation and see what happens in the
next couple of weeks rather than rush into a deal. We have to weigh things up, I've brought Dean Windass in and we will see we go with the lads we've already got for Saturday's game. There is a possibility that some other club may come in and offer Steve a permanent deal, but at the same time, Michael Boulding is nearing full fitness as well," added Warnock.

Mateyboy
14-11-2002, 01:22 PM
As alluded to at the beginning of this thread, if Sheffield United are so desperate for strikers, and are keen on Kabba, should we not be looking to benefit from this interest?

After the resistance we have met in the past couple of seasons, with our alledged enquiries / bids for Bent and Brown, perhaps we ought to be looking for some quid pro quo?

We let them have a look at Kabba, with a view to purchase, and they let us take Brown or Tonge.

Or are we that desperate to reduce the wage bill?

Gollum
14-11-2002, 01:33 PM
The position seems pretty clear.
Kabba is up for sale and we're not interested in a loan as we want to recoup a decent fee. Any more loans and we creep closer to the end of his contract when we will realise a much poorer return.

I don't concur with some voices here that say give him a go in the first team. In terms of ablilty and pecking order at this club he lies 5th or 6th. 6th if you regard Williams sensational scoring form at reserve level as an indication of potential.

Sell him now and get a decent fee. If it's Sheff Uts, haggle for one of their two excellent midfielders, funding permiting.

kolinkins
14-11-2002, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Mateyboy
As alluded to at the beginning of this thread, if Sheffield United are so desperate for strikers, and are keen on Kabba, should we not be looking to benefit from this interest?

After the resistance we have met in the past couple of seasons, with our alledged enquiries / bids for Bent and Brown, perhaps we ought to be looking for some quid pro quo?

We let them have a look at Kabba, with a view to purchase, and they let us take Brown or Tonge.

Or are we that desperate to reduce the wage bill?

the current financial climate does not allow any selling club the luxury of bargaining power. anyway, tonge and brown are rated at 1mill plus - kabba is not worth any more than 100k

Gooders
14-11-2002, 01:39 PM
No more loans, especially not to play-off rivals.

Put up or shut up, Sheff U.

N W Eagle
14-11-2002, 01:50 PM
Seems like the loan to Grimsby was just a shrewd move to put a promising young striker in the shop window. We obviously need the money.
Although it does conflict with the quotes from TF.

Cleon
14-11-2002, 02:02 PM
We'd all like to see Kabba given a decent run, and Kabba definitely wants to play for Crystal Palace. I think we & he should be looking to the future. Assuming that we do not get promoted, then we shall surely not be renewing Adebola's contract in the summer, leaving a strike force consisting of:

Freedman, Akinibiy, Johnson, Kabba & Williams

Given that TF seems to be playing 3 strikers, and the always present possibility of injury, Kabba has a pretty good shot of a run in the team that he supports. I don't see why he would want to leave, and we've got a dedicated player on low wages. Problem?

If we get promoted, who cares?

Steve in Phoenix
14-11-2002, 02:53 PM
If he goes, please put a % sell on clause in there! Just in case he turns into Andy Cole or something.

We dont do this enough and I think its a good business move.

Beanie
14-11-2002, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Cleon
Assuming that we do not get promoted, then we shall surely not be renewing Adebola's contract in the summer,

Is this a foregone conclussion? Adebola seems to be improving game by game. At this rate he could be useful to ahave around next season. He's probably only just fully fit - he did miss the whole of last season. We shall see.

I don't see why he would want to leave, and we've got a dedicated player on low wages. Problem?

Ah, the key questions. IF he is dedicated - at the moment the jury is probably out on this one. Time will tell

Jimbo ?
15-11-2002, 10:25 AM
Given the choice of adebola or kabba - would always go for the prven goal scorer - kabba:) but i would keep the young striker who has got lots ahead of the older dele

Beanie
15-11-2002, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Jimbo ?
Given the choice of adebola or kabba - would always go for the prven goal scorer - kabba:) but i would keep the young striker who has got lots ahead of the older dele

Taken over a period of a couple of seasons, not a third of one ,Adebola has a better record, but that makes little difference as I don't think there is a choice between these two, they are very different players. I believe the choice is actually Kabba or Williams.

Hoof 'n Chase
15-11-2002, 02:33 PM
Kaba sold to Sheff U for 250,000??????????????

Geezer
15-11-2002, 02:35 PM
eh?! wheres this?!:eek: :(

sfchapman
15-11-2002, 02:38 PM
This is CRAZY

He should be the front line with Gareth Williams in a season or two.

Geezer
15-11-2002, 02:40 PM
Looks like someones got their wires crossed, Warnock wanted him on loan.

Sheffield United manager Neil Warnock has confirmed he has made enquiries about bringing either Kevin Kyle or Steve Kabba on loan.

Crystal Palace striker Steve Kabba impressed on a loan spell at Grimsby Town while Sunderland front man Kevin Kyle has struggled to breakthrough despite winning Scotland caps.

Warnock said: "I've made enquiries about them but that's all at the moment so we'll have to wait and see".

As well as Steve Kabba and Kevin Kyle it is rumoured that Sheffield United have shown a interest in Leicester City forward Trevor Benjamin.

The Foxes striker has yet to break into the first team and a short term move to Bramall Lane may be just what the doctor ordered.

Psychokiller
15-11-2002, 02:41 PM
Sheffield United wouldn't be able to actually buy Mr Loverman until the transfer window opens anyway!

It wasn't me!
15-11-2002, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Psychokiller
Sheffield United wouldn't be able to actually buy Mr Loverman until the transfer window opens anyway!

Psychokiller
15-11-2002, 02:46 PM
:confused:

The Omen
15-11-2002, 02:49 PM
:confused: :confused:

It wasn't me!
15-11-2002, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Psychokiller

sorry i couldn't put what i wanted to write so i tried deleting the post altogether but it wouldn't let me.

Dartford Lad
15-11-2002, 02:51 PM
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Psychokiller
15-11-2002, 02:53 PM
What did you want to write?

GreatGonzo
15-11-2002, 02:58 PM
I didn't think that 1st division clubs were restricted by the transfer window, just the premiership so effectively we just can't sell to them.

Maybe i have misunderstood all the crap about the window but i think we can buy and sell within the 3 divisions still.

Beanie
15-11-2002, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by GreatGonzo
I didn't think that 1st division clubs were restricted by the transfer window, just the premiership so effectively we just can't sell to them.

Maybe i have misunderstood all the crap about the window but i think we can buy and sell within the 3 divisions still.

Quite true - I believe the Football League requested "clarification" on some point or other and didn't get it so they said that they would not enforce the window between league teams until the "clarification" is received. Knowing FIFA that will be around 2005.

If this is true 250k sounds about right, more than I would have expected.

Gooders
15-11-2002, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Hoof 'n Chase
Kaba sold to Sheff U for 250,000??????????????

Why do posts like this one always come from people we've never heard of with 6 posts in the last 2+ years?

Dartford Lad
15-11-2002, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by GreatGonzo

While you are here Gonzo, you were correct when you pointed out in another thread that Palace have the opportunity to buy Clint back if we get back in the Premier. Im not sure of the fee though! :)

Beanie
15-11-2002, 03:12 PM
Move - although not fee - now confirmed on official site.

Dartford Lad
15-11-2002, 03:14 PM
Blades complete Kabba signing

Sheffield United have completed the signing of Crystal Palace striker Steve Kabba for a fee reported to be in the region of 250,000.

The 21-year-old travelled up to Yorkshire on Friday morning to discuss personal terms with Blades boss Neil Warnock after the two clubs had agreed a fee late on Thursday.
Negotiations over an initial loan move broke down after Palace and Kabba decided against a temporary switch to Bramall Lane.
However, the deal was resurrected after Warnock was given the go-ahead by the United board to snap up the frontman on a permanent basis.
Kabba was recalled early from a successful loan spell with First Division strugglers Grimsby, in which he scored six goals in 14 appearances, in order to boost Palace's striking ranks after an injury to Dougie Freedman.
But Eagles boss Trevor Francis has decided to allow Kabba to move on, despite claiming recently that the pacy striker was "Palace through and through".
Kabba is expected to make his Blades alongside fellow new-boy Dean Windass when Reading visit Bramall Lane on Saturday.

15-11-2002, 03:19 PM
Now that's more like the Palace I know and love.

Freedman out for a Month - so we sell Kabba -!!!

Priceless
:D :D :D

nookiebear
15-11-2002, 03:20 PM
Assume then Williams will be on the bench on Saturday

Dartford Lad
15-11-2002, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by nookiebear
Assume then Williams will be on the bench on Saturday

I would be much happier with him than Kabba to be honest!

Gooders
15-11-2002, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Bumgas
Now that's more like the Palace I know and love.

Freedman out for a Month - so we sell Kabba -!!!

Priceless
:D :D :D

Ain't that the truth!

Still, 4th or 5th in line and all that - good luck Kabba man (you're guaranteed at least one goal in the not-too-distant future!).

nookiebear
15-11-2002, 03:31 PM
While it's a shame we're not giving Kabba a chance, if someone had offered us 250,000 for him in the summer I don't think many of us would have complained.

We're either very very desperate for cash, have faith in Williams or Freedman and Akinbiyi must be nearer to fitness then we all thought.

Let's hope it's not the first one of those, eh?

freekickuk
15-11-2002, 03:33 PM
gone to sheffield united for 250 000 according to the offical web site!:eek:

Gazza2
15-11-2002, 03:37 PM
Yep, just seen it. It is official. Look on the bright side, it is 250k more than we would have got for him before he went on loan.

So a big thank you to Grimsby.

calne eagle
15-11-2002, 03:39 PM
What's the betting he scores against us on November 30th?

SKATE
Originally posted by calne eagle
What's the betting he scores against us on November 30th?

odds on favorite :(

Batsta
Gonner Kabbab

Stonewall
15-11-2002, 03:41 PM
would have liked to have seen more of him but 250 not bad for a reserve with little 1st team action. will he be teaming up with Asaba? two Palace fans leading the Blades!:D

Pub Idol
I guess Gareth Williams might get his chance now.

biggus mickus
I think its a good move for him, and us. At the time I was pished, but I am sure he played in the Sevilla tournament against Malmo. He was very lightweight and disapeared during the game.
A wage packet saved, money in the bank.

Palacetillidie
I detect desperation at the palace - 250k for Kabba - your having a laugh. I bet he goes on to be a top player. Nice one guys!!!!!!!!!!!

biggus mickus
15-11-2002, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Palacetillidie
I detect desperation at the palace - 250k for Kabba - your having a laugh. I bet he goes on to be a top player. Nice one guys!!!!!!!!!!!
There might be a sell on clause.

Palacetillidie
15-11-2002, 03:43 PM
Plus..............with the Doug ot who plays up front with AJ? Adebola? and he gets injured or plays (as normal) a below average game?

ozeagle
15-11-2002, 03:44 PM
if someone told you 20 weeks back we'd get 250K for him, you'd have laughed yourself silly...
great move for us and him, good luck to Steve.
remember Akinbiyi back soon !

:p

Martin Cat
15-11-2002, 03:48 PM
Seems like good business he would have been a reserve team player when we got Ade back. Forwards competing for places in the first team Johnson, Freedman, Adebola, Ade (when he returns) and a great prospect in Williams. Who certainly will see a light at the end of the tunnel now he has one less competition.

Plus good luck to Kabba he never would be a regular at palace with players in competition with him to similar in style. So he gets his regular football wish and we get 250,000 not bad seeing as he was out of contract in the summer.

Perhaps some of that will finance a new Mullins/Gray deal

Benzhiyi
15-11-2002, 03:50 PM
As Mickus says, good for us, good for him.

He would have gone on a free at the end of the season were it not for Grimsby - they've made us 250K there. And it's another name off the wage bill. Granted, he wouldn't have been earning much, buts it's a few more pennies I guess.

Cleon
15-11-2002, 03:51 PM
Am very sorry to see him go, but understand that 250k in the present climate could be a significant help. Hopefully this means that we can keep Hayden and Gray etc. come January. I just hope he doesn't come back to haunt us. I hope he becomes more a McKenzie, and less of a Chris Powell.

Should certainly mean Williams will finally have a chance.

freekickuk
15-11-2002, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Pub Idol
I guess Gareth Williams might get his chance now.

spon on i think trevor rate williams higher than kubba and i'm sure we will be seeing more of him soon?

firesign
15-11-2002, 03:54 PM
I would like to have kept him for a bit longer but given the current climate I'd say it's a very good deal for him and a farily good deal for us.

Now we can guarantee Akinbiyi's wages for at least another 25weeks :p ;)

Nelson Muntz
15-11-2002, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by ozeagle

Oh no.......!

c_block_lad
15-11-2002, 04:00 PM
ANOTHER good call from SJ here. Despite being a big supporter of Kabba, I relise that 250,000 is a great bit of business, also Williams according to some people is better than Kabba also Akinbiyi to return. Also wasn't he going to Southend United for a free! :eek: 250,000 makes it a good bit of business from SJ:p

E_girl
15-11-2002, 04:01 PM
Good luck Steve - thanks for the winning goal in the penalty shoot-out a couple of seasons ago & the winner up at Preston this year! :p

biggus mickus
15-11-2002, 04:02 PM
How much would his wages gon up at the end of the season? He would have been out of contract.
I think Williams will be a better player.
A long road for clubs this year, no money Blah blah. This sale makes sense to me. Money, its all down to money.

Good luck Kabba.

Pamber Eagle
15-11-2002, 04:04 PM
I don't suppose we have a clause preventing him from scoring against us (oops I meant playing) when we meet them in 2 weeks time....??

Baloo
15-11-2002, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Batsta
Gonner Kabbab

Classic :p

Good luck, Steve. You will no doubt go on and score shed-loads, especially against us, but it doesn't hide the fact that today's business is probably the best for all parties in the current circumstances.

Look forward to seeing Gareth Williams in the first team in the not-too-distant future.

It wasn't me!
15-11-2002, 04:10 PM
http://www.sufc.co.uk/today/view/breaking_news_detail/0,,10418~302557,00.html

Kabba and his new club :(

Baloo
15-11-2002, 04:12 PM
Actually, no one's answered how we have managed to complete a player transfer before January. :confused:

Skin Up
15-11-2002, 04:12 PM
Too early to tell if this is a wise move or not but good luck Steve anyway, I am looking forward to seeing Williams get a run out before xmas now.

Skin Up
15-11-2002, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Baloo
Actually, no one's answered how we have managed to complete a player transfer before January. :confused:

That actully is a very good question, maybe the transfer window doesn't count for players who were listed before it came out, thats the best explanation my brain can come up with.

Igor Iconic
15-11-2002, 04:15 PM
Good business.
Good celebration when he scored that penalty against Tranmere, anyone would have thought it was the winner inthe World Cup Final, I love all that over-exuberence.
Good luck, Steve.
Goodbye, bring on Williams.

Daddy Long
15-11-2002, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Skin Up
That actully is a very good question, maybe the transfer window doesn't count for players who were listed before it came out, thats the best explanation my brain can come up with.

Nationwide Leagues gained a reprieve from the transfer window. It simply doesn't apply to us this season.

Beanie
15-11-2002, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Skin Up

There is no transfer window for Nationwide clubs doing deals with other nationwide clubs. Never has been. In England it only applies to Premiership sides and any sort of international deal. It is covered on one of the threads which now seem merged.

Skin Up
15-11-2002, 04:25 PM
Oh well you learn something new everyday.

ozeagle
15-11-2002, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Baloo

good point.

glaziers fan
15-11-2002, 04:38 PM
When assessing Kabba, I must admit that I did come from SK's school of thought, so I think 250k is excellent business, even if he has improved a lot recently, and especially if we have a sell-on clause.

Rubins was also a good deal, although i must admit i did really like him as a player, because we need the money.

"Julian, Hayden, please come into the office. SJ is ready to offer you new deals" :cool: :) :)

James Simmo
15-11-2002, 04:39 PM
No one knows how much it was yet. If it was 250K then prob not a bad deal as he is out of contract BUT would we have got more from a tribunal at the end of the season if he was on Loan there banging in goals?

Kabba, I'm guessing as you do on such a BBS !, must of been told that there is no money to offer him a contract at the end of the season and then moved hense the reason why he has gone after saying he didnt want to move there because he loves Palace.

Bet this comes back to haunt us on the 30th November !

Shame he has gone because I did see promise in him but I am still waiting for Williams to be given a chance. I cant say that I have seen him but the reserve stats make good reading.

J

Psychokiller
15-11-2002, 04:42 PM
Why did the Blades pay 250k when it's been reported that 80k would have been enough?:confused:

I hope there's a sell-on clause - just in case.

grovesy77
15-11-2002, 05:03 PM
SJ the good business man????????

I don't think this is a indication that SJ is a good business man, but it is an indication that young Kabba has his head screwed on. It was Kabba who was unwilling to go on loan until the end of the season when he would be out of contract. Seems a good move to secure a deal now, rather than the end of the season when he would only be one of a number of palyers out of contract.

Kabba done well in a poor market!
He's secured a contract whilst playing some good football,
good luck to him.

NRM the 2nd
15-11-2002, 05:25 PM
And we play them in 2 weeks. Thats 1-0 to them already!!!!

NRM the 2nd
15-11-2002, 05:25 PM
And we play them in 2 weeks. Thats 1-0 to them already!!!!

Isle of Wight
15-11-2002, 05:27 PM
With these sell on clause's, why cant we have written in that they have to pay 100k each time they score against us:p

The Vicar
15-11-2002, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by firesign
I would like to have kept him for a bit longer but given the current climate I'd say it's a very good deal for him and a farily good deal for us.

Now we can guarantee Akinbiyi's wages for at least another 25weeks :p ;)

Aaarrrgggghhhhh!

Al From Bromley
15-11-2002, 05:34 PM
"Good luck Steve - thanks for the winning goal in the penalty shoot-out a couple of seasons ago & the winner up at Preston this year! "

Yes that was pretty much it. Don't know why some are making a fuss, he's ok but certainly not outstanding.

Kabba and Asaba to score for Sheff U?

Sir.S.C Remembered
15-11-2002, 06:40 PM
Althoug he would be in my plans as Palace manager he doesn;t oofer us much different to AJ and was clearly not in the manager plans considering how many forwards we have. If he can play regularly and develop then good luck to him but Sheff Utd have many forwards so I'm not sure it'll be the right move.

Goiod luck Stevie

WorthingEagle
15-11-2002, 07:12 PM
I think it's a good deal, he's never looked anything like a 250k player in a Palace shirt. Hopefully Williams will get a chance now, when Dougie and Akinbiyi are back we'll have a lot of depth and quality in that position.

He will of course score against us, but in the end I don't think Sheff Utd will get their money's worth, luckily for us he had a good run at Grimsby and that pushed his price up ten-fold.

Ben H
15-11-2002, 08:28 PM
Why didn't Grimsby sign him?

If I was a Grimsby fan right now I would be pretty gutted.

Malakite
15-11-2002, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by WorthingEagle
I think it's a good deal, he's never looked anything like a 250k player in a Palace shirt. Hopefully Williams will get a chance now, when Dougie and Akinbiyi are back we'll have a lot of depth and quality in that position.

He will of course score against us, but in the end I don't think Sheff Utd will get their money's worth, luckily for us he had a good run at Grimsby and that pushed his price up ten-fold. He has been scoring regularly against top clubs in the 1st division so he couldnt be that bad...250k?....wat a deal for Sheff Utd..nightmare for us :(

humpo
15-11-2002, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Malakite
He has been scoring regularly against top clubs in the 1st division so he couldnt be that bad...250k?....wat a deal for Sheff Utd..nightmare for us :(

i agree, 250k seems like a bargain to me

Ben H
15-11-2002, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by humpo
i agree, 250k seems like a bargain to me

What, when you think we might have sold him for a couple of mill a few years later.

And this after Francis decides to recall him 'cos we need cover. Obviously didn't need the cover that much:hmph:

Highway Star
15-11-2002, 09:14 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by WorthingEagle
[B]I think it's a good deal, he's never looked anything like a 250k player in a Palace shirt. Hopefully Williams will get a chance now, when Dougie and Akinbiyi are back we'll have a lot of depth and quality in that position.

How many games did he get to prove he was worth any money to us. This Williams kid had better be sh*t hot because a lot of people are relying on him it seems? For the record i think 7 goals in about 15 1st div apps is better than 20(ish) against the likes of Wycombe and Cheltenham reserves. Don't get me wrong, i hope Williams becomes a legend, but i have a bad feeling about this latest masterstroke of SJ's.:eek: :rolleyes:

Ben H
15-11-2002, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Highway Star
[QUOTE]Originally posted by WorthingEagle
[B] but i have a bad feeling about this latest masterstroke of SJ's.:eek: :rolleyes:

..you're probably right. SJ, given the financials, had more to do with this deal than TF. (IMO)

Highway Star
15-11-2002, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Ben H
..you're probably right. SJ, given the financials, had more to do with this deal than TF. (IMO)

Agree, i don't think many of the outgoing deals in the last 6 months have had much to do with TF. These are all financial deals not football ones. 250k that will do a lot ,hey?:rolleyes: :eek:

Ben H
15-11-2002, 09:34 PM
Agree, i don't think many of the outgoing deals in the last 6 months have had much to do with TF. These are all financial deals not football ones. 250k that will do a lot ,hey?:rolleyes: :eek:

Yeah, they can spend it on better bar staff...:rolleyes:

nookiebear
15-11-2002, 09:41 PM

How many games did he get to prove he was worth any money to us. Don't get me wrong, i hope Williams becomes a legend, but i have a bad feeling about this latest masterstroke of SJ's.:eek: :rolleyes:

It's not that black and white, though, is it? Palace have been blessed with decent strikers for a long time, not even just the past few years.

Kabba has not had many games to prove himself, but that's because of the quality in front of him in the pecking order (Morrison, Akinbiyi, Adebola, Johnson, Freedman, Jansen , to name a few)

When you've got those players no manager is going to rest them to test out a youngster. There's too much at stake.

Now if you were Kabba, and you'd scored 7 goals this season but suddenly found yourself back at Palace where you knew you weren't going to start every week, how would you feel? You'd want to be playing, wouldn't you? No matter how much you love Palace.

Now if you're Palace and you've already got 5 or six decent strikers, then you're going to sell one as it'll benefit the player and the club. We get some cash in difficult times, cut down the wage bill and remove a potentially unhappy and not playing player from the squad.

Kabba may come back to haunt us and he may go on and be worth 2m in a few years.

But you can't ignore the fact that right now he's still very far down the pecking order at Palace despite scoring those goals for Grimsby.

Good deal for him, good deal for us.

Good luck to the fella.

Ben H
15-11-2002, 09:43 PM
Has Jansen re-signed then?

nookiebear
15-11-2002, 09:54 PM
Has Jansen re-signed then?

I said a long list of good strikers, fool :)

Highway Star
15-11-2002, 09:56 PM
Good move for Kabba, definately. Your point about the strikers is valid and will also hold back Williams. Two years ago everyone was going on about Kabba, Boardman, Sharpling etc....... None of these has made it at Palace, but Kabba was the one with the best shot at the big time. We never gave him the chance and it could hurt us in the long run becos he has proved he can score goals in this division, even in a struggling side!

pallet
15-11-2002, 10:07 PM
I feel it is sad he has'nt had a real run in the side to prove what he can do. But he s gone now, must like it up north. Good luck Steve.

Ben H
15-11-2002, 10:14 PM
I said a long list of good strikers, fool :)

You may as well add Wright, Bright, Whyte, Armstrong and Williams then, fool. :)

Jimbo ?
15-11-2002, 10:16 PM
marcus bent similarities?????
Should never have let him go!!!!!!!

nookiebear
15-11-2002, 10:18 PM
You may as well add Wright, Bright, Whyte, Armstrong and Williams then, fool. :)

I've had a few sherberts, so my memory is foggy, but who did Smith play upfront with Clinton before re-signing Freedman?

I remember Kabba playing once at the start of the season but who else did we have up front?

Even they would have been in front of Kabba. Was it Forsell?

Highway Star
15-11-2002, 10:29 PM
I always thought the Bent sale was a bad one for us, but he's never really taken off at his other clubs. Think it's an attitude thing? I really do beleive this move is very bad for us(i don't know why), but i'm also very angry about the decimation of our squad. Ignoring the kids we have 21 1st team players right now and 6 are injured.

nookiebear
15-11-2002, 10:32 PM
I always thought the Bent sale was a bad one for us, but he's never really taken off at his other clubs. Think it's an attitude thing? I really do beleive this move is very bad for us(i don't know why), but i'm also very angry about the decimation of our squad. Ignoring the kids we have 21 1st team players right now and 6 are injured.

But the arse has fallen out of the footie market. We're cutting costs like many other clubs.

Highway Star
15-11-2002, 10:47 PM
But the arse has fallen out of the footie market. We're cutting costs like many other clubs.

Yeah, i know and like a lot of other "normal" people i saw this coming before the Chairmen apparently? Our squad was one of the major reasons we felt we had a good chance this year, don't think that boast is relevant anymore? If the money situation is so severe why did SJ sign all those players since SB ran off. A problem of his own making methinks??

nookiebear
15-11-2002, 11:14 PM
Yeah, i know and like a lot of other "normal" people i saw this coming before the Chairmen apparently? Our squad was one of the major reasons we felt we had a good chance this year, don't think that boast is relevant anymore? If the money situation is so severe why did SJ sign all those players since SB ran off. A problem of his own making methinks??

We' ve still got a decent squad which will get better when those injured players return

IMO we're just lacking a midflielder to partner Derry, but that's for another thread...

And the more sensible of us 'saw this coming' when Goldberg bought the club

Highway Star
15-11-2002, 11:21 PM
There will always be someone injured, so the squad will never be at full strength. The squad is decent, but i don't think decent is good enough!!!

wedgetail
15-11-2002, 11:34 PM
marcus bent similarities?????
Should never have let him go!!!!!!!
He is NOT a Marcus Bent.
This deal is a win for all concerned (except Grimsby!)
We cannot afford to pay or play everyone, someone had to move on and Kabba was last in the pecking order.

N Herts Eagle
15-11-2002, 11:37 PM
Sorry to see him go but with 4 forwards plus Williams it had to happen eventually the deal may not be the best for us shades of Stan Collymore even sold by us for 100,000 and went to Liverpool for what 7million but we have to be realistic we are losing money hand over fist we cant keep all the young players a selection has to be made and we have got 130000 more than we were going to let Luton have him for. In the squad we have lost Hopkin Rodger Rubins of the bigger earners Frampton and Kabba of the lesser earners

As for the squad Highway in the squad we have lost Hopkin Rodger Rubins of the bigger earners Frampton and Kabba of the lesser earners none would start automatically and therefore I would say its holding up strongly except goalkeeper which we covered by a loan signing at the moment we have a strong three in the centre of defence covered by Granville Mullins and Antwi on the right of defence Butterfield and Flemming on the wings we have Routledge added to Tommy Black and Julian Gray in the middle we have Aki Thompson backing up Mullins and Derry. Look at the team we put out tomorrow with six or seven out it still looks a strong side which many teams in this division would be happy with. Ther trouble is come January if we are not in a top six postion we have thepossibility of two going Mullins and Gray we then need to look again at tightening the squad but with players at wages no doubt less than these two hence the rumours in the papers of us being liinked with lower division middlefielders Invincible being just one

Latvian
16-11-2002, 12:41 AM
Just Like Marcus Bent to Port Vale!

2can
16-11-2002, 12:54 AM
I've had a few sherberts, so my memory is foggy, but who did Smith play upfront with Clinton before re-signing Freedman?

I remember Kabba playing once at the start of the season but who else did we have up front?

Even they would have been in front of Kabba. Was it Forsell?

I may be wrong as I am not 100% sobeeeeeeer ;) , but it was a mixture of Forsell, MacKensie and Harris :D .

Jon Thompson
16-11-2002, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by N Herts Eagle
Sorry to see him go but with 4 forwards plus Williams it had to happen eventually the deal may not be the best for us shades of Stan Collymore even sold by us for 100,000 and went to Liverpool for what 7million

If that was such a bad deal for us, why were Southend the only club to bid for Collymore at the time? Liverpool or Forest could have paid 100,000 for him, but paid millions. We sold him for what he was worth at the time. That is the similarity with Kabba.

I hope he plays for Sheff Utd against us. You know how excited Palace fans get when an ex-player comes back. I bet there's a few salivating already.

pete eagle
16-11-2002, 09:47 AM
he'll score against us. No doubt about it.

But it is best for his career that he finds regular first team football. He was very unlikely to get it here

Will S
16-11-2002, 10:37 AM
We have a lot of strikers, and the one which probably tipped the balance was the signing of Adebola, who himself is going to have problems with first team football once Akinbiyi is fit... which is always assuming we stick with 4-4-2 and don't revert to the 4-3-3 which TF tried last season.
I've got a horrible feeling we will revert to 4-3-3 when Akinbiyi returns - lets just hope that with the squad predominantly consisting of TF signings now, the team adapts better than it did last season. I suspect the reason it failed last year was because it broke the Morrison/Freedman partnership which the players clearly believed in.

Al From Bromley
16-11-2002, 11:07 AM
I was under the impression that we changed our formation often two or three times a game rather than sticking to regimented system?

Snorwood Eagle
16-11-2002, 11:26 AM
Disappointing to see him go. Was never given the chance in a Palace shirt, a while the goals are flying in at the moment, we don't have many consistant scorers at the club. AJ is on fire, and Dele is hitting some form, but this has taken time to happen, and they can't keep this level up all season. The Doug is struggling with injury, and is our one class attacker. Akinbiyi should make a difference when he returns, but I think this is a severe case of bad timing from Palace - All the signs lead to Steve coming back to haunt us on the 30th, and go on to be one of the Divisions top scorers.

Will S
16-11-2002, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Al from Bromley
I was under the impression that we changed our formation often two or three times a game rather than sticking to regimented system?

I'll rephrase; I expect to see TF utilise a 4-3-3 formation in his plans once Akinbiyi returns to full fitness.

Al From Bromley
16-11-2002, 11:36 AM
I expect to see him adapt his formation according to what the oppostion are doing. That could include 4-3-3 but not exclude 3-5-2 or 4-4-2 or even 5-3-2.

arussell
16-11-2002, 11:50 AM
It's a good bit of business all round.

Good for the player because he'll get to play football, and good for us, as for once the fee is decent, and the right amount for a player not playing first team football.

Everyone wins, and we clear the way better for Williams to be involved.

Al From Bromley
16-11-2002, 12:11 PM
Not going to "Narrrrch" Alan?

Freddy Kurz
16-11-2002, 12:13 PM
Disappointing to see him go. Was never given the chance in a Palace shirt, a while the goals are flying in at the moment, we don't have many consistant scorers at the club. AJ is on fire, and Dele is hitting some form, but this has taken time to happen, and they can't keep this level up all season. The Doug is struggling with injury, and is our one class attacker. Akinbiyi should make a difference when he returns, but I think this is a severe case of bad timing from Palace - All the signs lead to Steve coming back to haunt us on the 30th, and go on to be one of the Divisions top scorers.

Have you ever seen Gareth Williams, our Welsh U21 International play Snorwood Eagle? You fail even to give him a mention, yet over the past two years he has scored goals consistently for the Academy U19's and Reserve team, and has already netted twice for Wales U-21's. On July 26, he scored in our 2-0 win at Swansea (the only First team friendly in which he started). He then went on to score 9 goals for the Reserves in 4 pre-season friendlies(3 starts) 2 v Selsey, 3 v Whyteleafe, 4 v Sutton U. In the Combination side he has netted 13 times(in 6 games & 5 starts) : 2 v Bournemouth (A); 1 v Plymouth(H); 3 v Gillingham (A); 3 v Wycombe W.(A); 4 v Cheltenham T.(H) ie. 11 in 4 successive matches! You clearly believe you have greater football knowledge and insight than Steve Bruce, Steve Kember and Trevor Francis collectively -so can you please tell us how YOU would have persuaded Kabba to wait his turn for first-team football?

arussell
16-11-2002, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Al from Bromley
Not going to "Narrrrch" Alan?

Already here since yesterday Al :)

Good bit of research Freddy :)

Al From Bromley
16-11-2002, 12:27 PM
Doing things in style these days eh Alan? Did they allow tennis shorts in the Linton Travel Lodge? ;)

biggus mickus
16-11-2002, 12:27 PM
What, when you think we might have sold him for a couple of mill a few years later.

And this after Francis decides to recall him 'cos we need cover. Obviously didn't need the cover that much:hmph:

Or, he came back to Palace because a bid had been put on the table by the blades. They were watching him at Grimsby.

Freddy Kurz
17-11-2002, 10:54 AM

May I, with respect, Jimbo, suggest you borrow or buy a reliable Football Annual to check your facts? If you examine the entry for individual players' records for Birmingham City on page 430 of the Rothman's Football Yearbook for 2001/2, you will note that up to that season Adebola had scored 70 goals in 253 League games for Crewe A. and Birmingham City, a ratio of a goal in every 3.6 games, a very respectable return for any Nationwide striker. Up to the beginning of this season, through no fault of his own, Kabba had made only 3 starts and 3 sub appearances for Palace without scoring. He then made 3 Palace sub appearances this season, scoring in the opening game v Preston before going out on loan for three months to Grimsby, where he scored 6 goals(a creditable performance - but not yet conclusive proof that he has "proven goalscorer" credentials). It is interesting to note that neither Kember, Bruce or Francis saw fit to make Kabba a regular first- team squad member. With more experienced strikers like Freedman, Johnson, Akinbiyi and Adebola ahead of him in the pecking-order and up-and coming talents like Williams scoring heavily in the Reserves, it is understandable that the ambitious Kabba decided to move somewhere where First team football would be more realisable. Good luck to him.

Snorwood Eagle
17-11-2002, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Freddy Kurz
Have you ever seen Gareth Williams, our Welsh U21 International play Snorwood Eagle? You fail even to give him a mention, yet over the past two years he has scored goals consistently for the Academy U19's and Reserve team, and has already netted twice for Wales U-21's. On July 26, he scored in our 2-0 win at Swansea (the only First team friendly in which he started). He then went on to score 9 goals for the Reserves in 4 pre-season friendlies(3 starts) 2 v Selsey, 3 v Whyteleafe, 4 v Sutton U. In the Combination side he has netted 13 times(in 6 games & 5 starts) : 2 v Bournemouth (A); 1 v Plymouth(H); 3 v Gillingham (A); 3 v Wycombe W.(A); 4 v Cheltenham T.(H) ie. 11 in 4 successive matches! You clearly believe you have greater football knowledge and insight than Steve Bruce, Steve Kember and Trevor Francis collectively -so can you please tell us how YOU would have persuaded Kabba to wait his turn for first-team football?

My point as that we had, in Kabba, a young striker, full of confidence, scoring plenty of goals in Division 1. Right now, with Freedman and Akinbiyi injured, we have no experienced striker that we can call upon - and I think that point was proved by the quality of our bench yesterday. No doubt, Williams has shown promise, and I've seen him a couple of times (and I'm not claiming to have such extensive knowledge of the player as you and others on this board do) but he is yet to cut it in Division 1. Palace didn't give Kabba a chance, even after his form at Grimsby in the past months, and to let him go right now might have been a mistake.

Good luck to Gareth Williams, I hope he does well, and he obviously has immense support from those that see him regularly but if he had been treated in the same way as Kabba I think many people would be disappointed that he didn't get a chance. When you pull a young lad back from out on a succesfull loan with the message he is still part of the club's plans (wasn't this quoted by TF?), only to sell him within a week isn't quite right. It souds as though Steve was always going to leave, by choice or otherwise, but I question the timing of it all.

Martin H
17-11-2002, 11:59 AM
It's not that Kabba has no potential that he has gone, it's a combination of things surely:

MONEY
cash is very tight and squad total wage bill, squad average wage and squad size has to be reduced - ergo people will leave

POTENTIAL
Kabba is older than Williams and yet has not made anything like the impact that guarantees success (Routledge). Increasingly the question has to be asked, will he develop enough to be worth the wage investment.

CONTRACT
Kabba's contract is up for renewal in summer and he can sneak off wherever he likes for free if it's not renewed. Renewing the contract only makes sense if you are confident that he will make the grade, as he will want more cash not the same - see money.

SQUAD MANAGEMENT
BY retaining Kabba he roadblocks some of the younger talent that still have time to develop physically and skillwise - i.e. better bets with personal headroom to develop.

CONTRIBUTION TO DATE
I have just checked the Grimsby stats and he scored 6 goals. 2,2,1 and 1. Don't know how many games but I guess it would read well enough. Not convinced this means he is a proven Div 1 goalscorer though. At Palace he has scored few in his few chances.

OPPORTUNITY
Someone somewhere in this cash strapped football world is actually willing to pay something for him!

OVERALL
He may come back and haunt us - it happens, and more often than not at Palace! - but on balance it seems a sensible decision to me. It's a shame but it's fair enough surely. He will get a chance at Sheffield to prove us wrong soon enough!

Louis
17-11-2002, 01:52 PM
Poor decision to let him go, in my opinion.

I've seen signs of Kabba maturing from headless chicken to successful striker. He has that extra ability to open up defences - which Johnson and Adebola are lacking. I would have liked to have seen him given a run in the side. There must have been better ways to earn 250k.

hughff
17-11-2002, 09:23 PM
I don't want to bag Williams, who seems a natural finisher by all reports. However, Kabba scored in Div 1, not the reserves. I seem to remember that in a reserve fixture this season he managed to knock in 4 goals, just as Williams has done and scored most times he played, just as Williams has done. That suggests that Kabba has something to offer.

And I'm more than happy to bag Akinbiyi - I cannot believe the number of people who've post on this thread and others about what damage he's going to do when he comes back. Any damage he'll do will be to us as he clogs up a first spot for a more talented player. Sadly, I think Akinbiyi is unsalable but Kabba was, hence we got rid of potential so that we could continue to hold up the millstone with our neck.

I hope Williams is the next Morrison, it's starting to look like he'll need to be.

Grim Reaper
17-11-2002, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Louis
Poor decision to let him go, in my opinion.

There must have been better ways to earn 250k.

Good point. I accept some of the arguments for letting him go but having seen at close hand the effect hehad on the poor Grimsby side, I was positively drooling over the prospect of him returning to Palace. My wife's been tearing her hair out at the amount of times I've mentioned his name this past month while he was here in Lincolnshire.

While 250K is nota tragic amount I really believe it'll be there with Gray (150 in 1987) and Collymore (150K + 250 later on in 1992) as being deals where we rued letting them go so cheaply.

At least if we'd kept him on for a couple of months, at least we'd have seen for ourselves how he performed in a Palace shirt.

As Louis says, surely there are better ways to raise 250K.

StevieCsredandbluearmy
18-11-2002, 09:45 AM
as sheff utd are 1 of our serious rivals this year - it wont happen - if anywhere he will go back to grimsby who we could do with taking points of the top teams like sheffutd watford forest and alike

Do you want to reconsider this comment in the light of him signing for Sheffield United for 250K. What is going on at the SJ Circus. We brought Kabba back from Grimsby as Dougie was injured and then we sell him to the Blades. Makes me more sure than ever that SJ will sell our best players in January.

StevieCsredandbluearmy
18-11-2002, 09:45 AM

Do you want to reconsider this comment in the light of him signing for Sheffield United for 250K. What is going on at the SJ Circus. We brought Kabba back from Grimsby as Dougie was injured and then we sell him to the Blades. Makes me more sure than ever that SJ will sell our best players in January.

Freddy Kurz
18-11-2002, 10:25 AM

What planet were you on when the ITV/Digital deal collapsed? It appears to have escaped your notice that every Nationwide First Division club has lost well over two million quid in revenue over two years as a consequence. The new players signed during the summer were financed from the sale of Morrison, and he could have walked away for nothing at the end of this season (as could Kabba by the way!). Unfortunately, gates at the start of the season then fell below the 17,000 per home game which Jordan said last year were necessary to enable the club to break even. Gates are picking up again, and we COULD be on the brink of a lucrative Cup run, but businesses (even professional football clubs) can't be successfully run on the basis of hope and speculation. Hence it has been necessary to cut down on playing staff and other overheads to see the Club through the next 16 - 18 months of financial difficulty, in common with virtually every other club in the Nationwide. If its any consolation most Premiership clubs will also be forced to don hair-shirts when they have to re-negotiate their next TV deal with Sky who, having no competitors can impose their own terms.

AndyChapman
18-11-2002, 10:57 AM
250 K Great bit of businiess of our behalf:p

Highway Star
18-11-2002, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Freddy Kurz
What planet were you on when the ITV/Digital deal collapsed? It appears to have escaped your notice that every Nationwide First Division club has lost well over two million quid in revenue over two years as a consequence. The new players signed during the summer were financed from the sale of Morrison, and he could have walked away for nothing at the end of this season (as could Kabba by the way!). Unfortunately, gates at the start of the season then fell below the 17,000 per home game which Jordan said last year were necessary to enable the club to break even. Gates are picking up again, and we COULD be on the brink of a lucrative Cup run, but businesses (even professional football clubs) can't be successfully run on the basis of hope and speculation. Hence it has been necessary to cut down on playing staff and other overheads to see the Club through the next 16 - 18 months of financial difficulty, in common with virtually every other club in the Nationwide. If its any consolation most Premiership clubs will also be forced to don hair-shirts when they have to re-negotiate their next TV deal with Sky who, having no competitors can impose their own terms.

I've never flown let alone visited other planets.
So we've lost 2 mill over 2 years, better go out and buy some players. Surely the 4 mill from Clint would of tided us over the 2 year short fall? Oh yeah, what planet were you on when SJ claimed that the digital collapse would not affect Palace as his projections were done without taking the digital money into account. Kabba would not of gone for nothing as he is under 24 and therefore a fee would have to be set by the tribunal, not as much as you would hopr but still a fee. I totally understand why he is doing this and that the prem boys are next in line. All i said was i think SJ has to take some of the blame for the measures having to be so drastic. BTW the digital deal was already collapsing when SJ signed Akinbiyi (10 grand a week allegedly).

Beanie
18-11-2002, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by StevieCsredandbluearmy
We brought Kabba back from Grimsby as Dougie was injured and then we sell him to the Blades. Makes me more sure than ever that SJ will sell our best players in January.

Was he brought back because of Dougie being injured? We assumed he was at the time, but it is now obvious Sheff Utd were sniffing round. Would have been a bit hard on Grimsby to have sold him while he was still there, or even to have asked them to let him go over to Sheffeild for talks. It seems more likely with hind-sight that we brought him back to clear the way for this move. As for January - who are these Premiership side gasping to grab out assets? The only sniff seems to be Julian Gray to Charlton.

Del Gland
18-11-2002, 01:55 PM
Isn't it strange how football is different to the real world. If Kabba worked in an office, he would be stuck in a corner doing the same uninteresting crap everyday. However, he has ambition and has jumped at a golden opportunity in a limited job market. Why should we be judgemental on him- even Mr Blair's ambitions has led to him having a go at being the Prime Minister.

Also, I am growing concerned at the growing hysteria over the Aki comeback. Any WWF(E) fan will know that Stone Cold Steve Austin never lived up to the billing upon his return and had to concentrate on the soap opera side as the wrestling just wasn't up to it.

Now can you dig that,,,sucka?

Walrus
18-11-2002, 04:09 PM
I hope Kabba does well at Sheffield. It's the right move for him, the right move for us and the right move for our reserves :D

How long as he been playing at u19 and reserve level for Palace, and how much REAL impact has he made when compared with the likes of Routledge and Gareth Williams ?

And we get a fee for someone who would not have been too keen on signing a new contract in the summer given his palce in the CPFC pecking order.

917L
18-11-2002, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by 2can
I may be wrong as I am not 100% sobeeeeeeer ;) , but it was a mixture of Forsell, MacKensie and Harris :D .

Thought McKenzie had already left, but Forssell did dtart that season at Palace being reintroduced on a years loan in Coppellls last game, the 0-6 at Scumwall.

250k for Kabba is great business he's not worth 25k:)

And Gareth Williams is a far better player.

Chester 76
18-11-2002, 04:42 PM
So we've lost 2 mill over 2 years, better go out and buy some players. Surely the 4 mill from Clint would of tided us over the 2 year short fall? Oh yeah, what planet were you on when SJ claimed that the digital collapse would not affect Palace as his projections were done without taking the digital money into account. Kabba would not of gone for nothing as he is under 24 and therefore a fee would have to be set by the tribunal, not as much as you would hopr but still a fee. I totally understand why he is doing this and that the prem boys are next in line. All i said was i think SJ has to take some of the blame for the measures having to be so drastic. BTW the digital deal was already collapsing when SJ signed Akinbiyi (10 grand a week allegedly).
The problem is transfer fees are not paid immediately,they are paid in instalments over the course of years.In the case of the Clinton Morrison transfer fee,the cost of signing Andy johnson is included.

Kabba's Magic Shorts
18-11-2002, 08:10 PM
Oh great, now my BBS username looks REALLY bizarre.
:)

We'll regret this when he is knocking in the goals for Sheffield Utd. :sob:

Snorwood Eagle
18-11-2002, 08:49 PM
I think there's an echo in here?! :D

Shame about the username KMS and lets hope he's not quite as sharp on the 30th.

Highway Star
18-11-2002, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Walrus
I hope Kabba does well at Sheffield. It's the right move for him, the right move for us and the right move for our reserves :D

How long as he been playing at u19 and reserve level for Palace, and how much REAL impact has he made when compared with the likes of Routledge and Gareth Williams ?

And we get a fee for someone who would not have been too keen on signing a new contract in the summer given his palce in the CPFC pecking order.

To my Knowledge he made 6 substitute appearances for us. He played more games in a Grimsby shirt. After 6 sub appearances would you of liked to see AJ sold to sheff utd. I don't know how good Kabba was, i just find it amazing how people can just dis' him when we have not seen him play.
By the way, what impact has Williams had on us? If i remember correctly everyone was raving about a kid called Kabba who was scoring loads of goals at youth and reseve level a couple of years ago.

Kabba's Magic Shorts
18-11-2002, 11:20 PM
I think there's an echo in here?! :D

Shame about the username KMS and lets hope he's not quite as sharp on the 30th.

Strange things are afoot - 1 post becomes 4, my Worthington Cup penalty shoot out hero is sold :grrr:, and a Portsmouth supporting work colleague has shown me a copy of their local rag containing Harry Redknapp's prediction that we are one of only 6 teams who can gain automatic promotion.

At least I've had one really good laugh today.:D

arussell
19-11-2002, 12:18 AM
If i remember correctly everyone was raving about a kid called Kabba who was scoring loads of goals at youth and reseve level a couple of years ago.

I think you remember wrongly. I don't remember anyone ever saying that !

Apart from one season where he was reserve top scorer with around 12 or 14, he's never been a prolific scorer for Palace.

Cleon
19-11-2002, 09:08 AM
Jordan is reported to have confirmed that there is a sell-on clause for Kabba, which makes me feel a bit better about this deal!

Freddy Kurz
19-11-2002, 09:09 AM
So we've lost 2 mill over 2 years, better go out and buy some players. Surely the 4 mill from Clint would of tided us over the 2 year short fall? Oh yeah, what planet were you on when SJ claimed that the digital collapse would not affect Palace as his projections were done without taking the digital money into account. Kabba would not of gone for nothing as he is under 24 and therefore a fee would have to be set by the tribunal, not as much as you would hopr but still a fee. I totally understand why he is doing this and that the prem boys are next in line. All i said was i think SJ has to take some of the blame for the measures having to be so drastic. BTW the digital deal was already collapsing en SJ signed Akinbiyi (10 grand a week allegedly).
Glad to hear you keep your feet on the ground! The two million plus revenue lost by ALL First Division clubs because of the collapse of Sky/Digital was unpredictable (whatever Jordan said). The players brought in with the Morrison deal/money are generally accepted as good signings. Jordan shrewdly achieved a "sell on" clause in the Sheffield Utd. deal, so we are well covered if Kabba exceeds expectations. As for Akinbiyi, the jury is still out and we must all wait and see.

Daddy Long
19-11-2002, 09:21 AM
Reading the Metro today there was a quote from Jordan. Can't remember the exact wording but someting along the lines of: 3 months ago no-one had ever heard of Kabba. We sent him on loan to Grimsby where he improved as a player but he was only ever going to be our fifth choice striker.

arussell
19-11-2002, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Cleon
Jordan is reported to have confirmed that there is a sell-on clause for Kabba, which makes me feel a bit better about this deal!

Isn't it nice to know that we're actually getting our house in order a bit ! :)

Duke
19-11-2002, 01:11 PM
how much do you really think he is worth if not 250k.

considering a proven scorer like Marcus Stewart went to sunderland for just 900k - I think 250k plus sell on fee - is great bit of business for kabba.

StevieCsredandbluearmy
19-11-2002, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by ozeagle
if someone told you 20 weeks back we'd get 250K for him, you'd have laughed yourself silly...
great move for us and him, good luck to Steve.

:p

Trouble is we have only AJ and Adebola as fit forwards at the moment. Dougie is out for a few weeks yet and Akinbiyi, when he comes back, will take time to settle back in - if indeed he does.

Sounds to more like SJ is trying to cut the wages bill and recoup some of the money he hass put in to the club. I have no problem with Kabba going, just the timing. After all, he was brought back from Grimsby in the middle of his loan spell, because Dougie was out for a month.

nookiebear
19-11-2002, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Duke
how much do you really think he is worth if not 250k.

considering a proven scorer like Marcus Stewart went to sunderland for just 900k - I think 250k plus sell on fee - is great bit of business for kabba.

This is why the timing of the sale is important

Yes, you could say it's strange selling him when we've got two strikers out injured but how often would we get offered 250k for him?

He could spend a few months on the bench at Palace and we'd probably only get the 80k for him that Luton were offering

Beanie
19-11-2002, 03:04 PM
After all, he was brought back from Grimsby in the middle of his loan spell, because Dougie was out for a month.

Says who? I agree we all assumed that this was the reason given the injury, but we really had to recall him before we sold him. If Sheff Utd were already enquiring that could have been the reason - afterall we didn't recall him as soon as Dougie was injured, it was some time later.

bald-eagle
19-11-2002, 03:18 PM
......After all, he was brought back from Grimsby in the middle of his loan spell, because Dougie was out for a month.

Being suspicious and slightly cynical it wouldn't surprise me, in fact I'd almost expect it, if Sheff Utd had offered to buy him while he was at Grimsby. It is widely reported that he was watched by scouts up there. To save face with grimbo, who clearly wanted to keep him, we pulled him back but then flogged him within a week. Once Steve was back in SE25 he was told that he was wanted by Sheff Utd and that he was 5th in line for one of 2 places here and did he want to go to sheffield or grimbo....no choice really for young steve. Good luck to him (starting next month that is!) I would imagine grimbo are pisssed off at the moment.

sydnsteve
20-11-2002, 12:14 PM
I think this is a really bad move that will come back to haunt us. All this about him being 5th in line presupposes several factors:
1. AJ keeps scoring and is not doing an Andy Preece.
2. Adebola scores some goals.
3. Williams can hack it at this level.
4, AA does anything on his return.

1 and 2 will only be clear in the next couple of months. For 3, arussell reckons Williams is better and he seems to have seen him more than most, so I hope he is correct, but there are plenty of reserve team strikers who have not made the step up. 4 is again one for the future.
Against this we have sold a striker who we know can score goals in this division, and has looked pretty good to me this season when he has had any chance. Presumably it would not have been a disaster to have had him to come on vs Norwich when the reports suggest we did not trouble their keeper.

Personally I think it is total stupidity to sell a proven goal scorer to one of our promotion rivals, but maybe Mr Flash was telling porkies when he said the ITV digital collapse would not affect us. Surely not though?

Cleon
20-11-2002, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by sydnsteve
1. AJ keeps scoring and is not doing an Andy Preece.
2. Adebola scores some goals.
3. Williams can hack it at this level.
4, AA does anything on his return.

I think he considered himself behind Freedman, not Williams!

Beanie
20-11-2002, 03:21 PM
Against this we have sold a striker who we know can score goals in this division, and has looked pretty good to me this season when he has had any chance.

I thought we sold Kabba!! when did we sell the guy we know can score?

We know he has had one scoring run of 6 goals in 13 games in his career to date, not bad, but hardly proof he can score long term, especially when you cast doubt that Johnson (10 goals in 5 if you recall) can do it regularly.

Personally I don't see either record as "proof" that either will score regularly, but I don't see how Kabba's poorer run can been as stronger proof than Johnsons. We have three strikers who DO have good scoring records at this level - Freedman, Akinbiyi and Adebola. All off form for one reason or another at present, but all more likely to do it long term than Kabba if the past is any indication.

I have nothing against Kabba, and wish him well, but really see 250k as more use to the club at present.

sydnsteve
21-11-2002, 09:53 AM
I sincerely hope you are right and I am wrong.

Clapham Grand
04-01-2003, 09:53 PM
Scored twice against Cheltenham in the cup today, but then again that isn't too hard is it?!

nookiebear
05-01-2003, 12:44 AM
no

sydnsteve
06-01-2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Clapham Grand
Scored twice against Cheltenham in the cup today, but then again that isn't too hard is it?!

And was the Man of the Match.

Beanie
06-01-2003, 12:26 PM
And was the Man of the Match.

Proving what exactly? So he had a good game, are we going to get this every time he has a good game? He wouldn't have been man of the match at Blackpool - because he'd probbaly wouldn't have made the bench. George Ndah had a pretty good game for Wolves as well, should be be re-hashing that? Different teams, different styles, different players. Kabba had no future at Palace, best for club and player that he moved on - we got some money, he got a new start. If he does it at Sheff Utd good luck to him.

Can we stop discussing ex-Palace players, or at least move the threads to World of Football as nothing to do with Palace.

Latvian
06-01-2003, 10:37 PM
I think Del boy's programme notes, sorry, Jordans. Summed it up perfectly!

sydnsteve
07-01-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Beanie
Proving what exactly?

he was man of the match?

sydnsteve
07-01-2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Beanie
Proving what exactly?

he was man of the match?

Duke
07-01-2003, 01:07 PM
I agree with Beanie on this one.....so what if he was MOM.

They were playing CHELTENHAM.... who are pants.......remember we manged to put 7 past them no trouble.

sydnsteve
10-01-2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Duke
I agree with Beanie on this one.....so what if he was MOM.

They were playing CHELTENHAM.... who are pants.......remember we manged to put 7 past them no trouble.

All I said was he was man of the match! (twice, apparently)

Phil O'Sophical
22-03-2003, 06:20 PM
15th goal of the season today making him 12th highest scorer in Div1 so far in his first season!!

Beanie
22-03-2003, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Phil O'Sophical
15th goal of the season today making him 12th highest scorer in Div1 so far in his first season!!

:S: :S: :S: :S:

Newsflash - he gone, he ain't coming back :bash: :bash:

boxing francis
23-03-2003, 09:00 AM
That ****** francis, he put adebola and akinbiyi ahead of a class goalscorer he couldnt judge potential if it bit him up the ass

Freddy Kurz
23-03-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by boxing francis
That ****** francis, he put adebola and akinbiyi ahead of a class goalscorer he couldnt judge potential if it bit him up the ass

But please don't forget the role of the Chairman in all this. He sought to justify the Kabba deal on economic grounds, and bought Akinbiyi instead of bringing him in on loan, which is generally believed to have been Francis's preference after Benjamin opted to return to Leicester City. Palace got Adebola on a "free", and despite his abysmal scoring record, he has helped the team in many other ways. We have a sell-on clause in the Kabba deal, but any future cash benefit to Palace that would yield, will surely pale into insignificance, when set against the probability that Kabba's goal-scoring potential would have greatly helped our promotion and Cup prospects instead of Sheffield United! The Akinbiyi and Kabba deals must rank as among the most short-sighted and damaging deals in Palace's history, and should be acknowledged as such by the Club in order that the necessary lessons are learned.

Maidstoned Eagle
23-03-2003, 01:25 PM
Bruce Dyers been banging them in at Barnsley, maybe that was a bad deal, and Wayne Carlisle has done well at Bristol. Kabba's gone, deal with it!

Phil O'Sophical
23-03-2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Maidstoned Eagle
Bruce Dyers been banging them in at Barnsley, maybe that was a bad deal, and Wayne Carlisle has done well at Bristol. Kabba's gone, deal with it!

The point that is being made in this and a number of other threads is that the current management's judgement is being called into question - quoting old transfers is a complete smoke screen.

I don't think any of us would dispute that to get promotion a team needs one, if not two 20 goal scorers, which we had last season, when unfortunately we were let down by a crap defence and a lot of critical injuries.

We have also had a lot of injuries this season but that cannot be used as an excuse for:

1. Virtually giving away Steve Kabba, who Harry Redknapp on Sky described as an excellent acquisition at 250k, when he had already scored 7 goals and has gone on to reach 15, while others have failed.

2. Not giving an opportunity to Gareth Williams who has knocked in over 20 goals for the reserves and 6 in his last 6 games for Colchester and seems potentially the best natural goal scorer we have had for some time.

3. Not structuring the front line to provide Dougie Freedman, who is a proven 20 goal scorer, with the service he requires. The frustration he is experiencing was only too evident to see yesterday.

If you employ a manager to run a business you expect him to make the best strategic and tactical decisions to take the business forward. I don't think even the wearers of the thickest rose tinted specs can say that the current management team is doing that at the moment.