PDA

View Full Version : Rubins Leaves / Jordan's Comments

Snafu
13-11-2002, 12:59 PM
Offical website says he has left by Mutual consent. Such a shame but I suppose if you play more internationals than first team games it is inevitable. Good luck wherever he goes but not suited for the rough and tumble of division 1

Snorwood Eagle
13-11-2002, 01:04 PM
Probably the best thing for him to progress as a player.

Thanks for those two rocket goals in the Cup though Rubes!:p

elgin eagle
13-11-2002, 01:04 PM
If its true I can't help feeling we didn't get the best out of him, not to mention the 2 million we lost on his transfer fee. With the pace he had I'm sure he could have been utilised better.

He could have served the burgers at half time or anything.

Cleon
13-11-2002, 01:05 PM
It's disappointing that he never achieved consistentancy... what a waste of 2m!! Still, we seem to be making progress in bringing the wage bill down...

Cyneagle
13-11-2002, 01:08 PM
Never rated the guy from day one and to much of a luxury IMHO.

Beanie
13-11-2002, 01:09 PM
Good move all round I think. Rubins is the sort of player it's great to have around, but when you look at the impact that Gray and especially Routledge have made in wide roles you have to say Rubins never came off.

Also releases more space in the wage bill - perhaps a few extra quid to keep Gray happy.

kolinkins
13-11-2002, 01:09 PM
the fee was no where near 2mill. it was hyped up to win over us fans with smith etc. the actual fee was 1.25mill. and i cant help but feel that this is a huge mistake. he will be a star somewhere else.

Psychokiller
13-11-2002, 01:12 PM
This is so typical of Smith's signings. Look at the pattern:

Pollock
Hopkin
Rubins

Possibly next:

Kolinko
Aki

The man was useless at both spotting and keeping talent. What an utter shyte of a manager he was! The only good signing he made was Dougie!

Eagle Kneevil
13-11-2002, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Psychokiller
The only good signing he made was Dougie!

It says the same about our scouting system too. And Dougie was hardly a tough one to call!

Palacetillidie
13-11-2002, 01:16 PM
I cant help but think we didnt get the most out of him. He showed some signs of pure class and scored two good goals (apart from that he wasnt all that). What a waste of 2m. I bet he goes somewhere else, becomes an awesome player and comes back to haunt us!

bobmatt
13-11-2002, 01:19 PM
At least we won't have games called off for internationals now. :D

Psychokiller
13-11-2002, 01:20 PM
It says the same about our scouting system too. And Dougie was hardly a tough one to call!
Well, the same scouting system spotted the likes of Cole and Gray before Smith and Popovic after him!

Smith is probably the worst thing to have happened to CPFC in recent years, next to Goldberg!

Bandstand
13-11-2002, 01:25 PM
Alex will be next to go. The lad from Grimsby will come in in January.
If YOU think Smith signed tht Doug, get real it was SJ. :p

The Vicar
13-11-2002, 01:26 PM
What do people think were Rubins' greatest weaknesses? Why did he never make it with Palace?

Ben H
13-11-2002, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by The Vicar
What do people think were Rubins' greatest weaknesses? Why did he never make it with Palace?

Wasn't up to the physical side of the game. A shame to see him go though -definately didn't get the best out of him. Interesting though that Arsene Wenger supposedly rated him very highly, or was this just another Alan Smith bullshit line.:rolleyes:

WorthingEagle
13-11-2002, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by The Vicar

probably the fact he'd lose a physical tussle with Victoria Beckham....

the word lightweight was invented for a player like Rubins, he'd probably shine in a good Premiership side and on the international stage but Division One wasn't for him.

Psychokiller
13-11-2002, 01:33 PM
If YOU think Smith signed tht Doug, get real it was SJ.

No, fairs fair, it was Smith. As was Hopkin. These were both players scouted during Smith's first spell as manager and he re-signed them either (A) so that every time they done something good he could say "Well, I spotted him doing that sort of thing every week at Barnet/Chelsea" when doing his media whore thing or (B) to try and carry on where he left off previously.

I would say that A is the most probable explanation as B would require a certain amount of affection for our club. Alan Smith only cares about Alan Smith.

Sir.S.C Remembered
13-11-2002, 01:33 PM
I agree with what everyone has been saying. Felt he had potential but don't think he will ever be better than Gray (despite his lack of confidance of running at players of late) or Wayne and like Fuller he needs to go to an easier (less physical so not Scottish like Fuller) league to fulfill the potential.

I feel we could have receieved a fee for him but then again such clubs where he needs to progress as I talk about have little money.

What a waste of money and well done Alan Smith

Bartman
13-11-2002, 01:34 PM
Shame - back to the Latvian National Ballet for old twinkle toes then. Should get back just in time for the auditions for Swan Lake.

Neil, yes, another one!
13-11-2002, 01:43 PM
completely agree that we never got the best out of him, nor did we see the best of him (aside from the wonder goals), but i'm still gutted he's gone.

Anything to save a bit of cash can't be a bad thing, and quite simply, he's a luxury we can ill afford...

Kember didn't rate him (can't trap a ball etc) and Francis never played him, so there was no point in keeping him.

He's a luxury few teams can afford and so i'll guess we'll never see him again...

Sir.S.C Remembered
13-11-2002, 01:47 PM
After Rubins departure today I say no wonder clubs are in financial trouble. I have not looked in depth at the figures that some BBSers have posted in the past which predicts our balance sheet, Profit & Loss account and cashflow but surely even in the financial climate at the more attractive time a player such as Rubins would not live upto a 2million worth. Not to mention many other poor signings mainly by Alan Smith such as Hopkin etc. I know it is not his fault if he is being told he has a certain amount of money and therefore can spend it and I know transfer fees were very high at the time but even in that financial climate how could such players live upto their transfer fees? To do so they would have to have got us to the Premiership at first try not to mention their wages.

Many other clubs have made such signings also. I am now glad that any transfer fee over 1million is being seriously considered before being pursued although I realise the rewards are less at the moment and it is all relative.

This is no dig at Ade but tell me how Akinbiyi can justify 2.4 million spent on him and a 10,000 (reportedly) weekly wage? Even in the old financial climate not many players could justify such a fee in our division. The only way it could be justified is as I said if it meant us getting to the Premiership of if his goals were the difference to take us e.g. into the top 2. Its a very slim chance for a player to have such a huge impact so to splash out big fees for players in less effective positions is mad. you may say that Rubins potential delivery to such a player could have made a impact in assists but again it is very unlikely for all these players to make maximum impact

P.S I do think it is good cost cutting measures by SJ in shipping out Rubins as the mutual agreement makes me think Rubins was desperate to leave and accepted alot less than his contract

MAFL
13-11-2002, 02:25 PM
Now when Rubins has been released, do we have any backup player
for Gray in the youth team?

nookiebear
13-11-2002, 02:32 PM
The first few times he played I thought he was a good player.

But I think a season in a struggling team with a maniac like Smith as manager and people like Pollock shouting at you and making you cry in training sucked all the confidence out of him.

He never recovered from it.

Shame, as it really was a waste of 1.25m

AndyChapman
13-11-2002, 02:54 PM
Good luck to Rubins although he will sigh for another club and come back to score against us some day all the ex-players do!:sob:

I also think that some are being a bit hard on Smith. Remember 93/94 season? That was the best season as a Palace fan ever. (Iwas only 7/8 years old).

Psychokiller
13-11-2002, 02:57 PM
Good luck to Rubins although he will sigh for another club and come back to score against us some day all the ex-players do!

I also think that some are being a bit hard on Smith. Remember 93/94 season? That was the best season as a Palace fan ever. (Iwas only 7/8 years old).

Too young to remember how Smith completely f*cked us up the following year.

David of Kent
13-11-2002, 02:59 PM
Hopefully this does at least mean the club has not the slightest intention of accepting any kind of offers for Julian Gray at the time of the transfer window.

wedgetail
13-11-2002, 03:01 PM
No, fairs fair, it was Smith. As was Hopkin. These were both players scouted during Smith's first spell as manager

They were both post Smith (version 1) signings. If Smith had scouted Doug, he could have taken him on a free before he went to Barnet.

DANGERMOUSE
13-11-2002, 03:04 PM
Too young to remember how Smith completely f*cked us up the following year. I was away at college for much of that time, but I was always under the impression that the Noades/Smith spat which ****ed up the season and drove away players like Southgate was more down to Noades than Smith. I seem to remember Smith being quite popular, despite the relegation - or am I deluded?

Beanie
13-11-2002, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Bandstand
Alex will be next to go. The lad from Grimsby will come in in January.

Why January? Neither Palace nor Grimsby are bound by the transfer window, so if we want him and can afford him, why wait?

With Clarke out for the season and Nic the Greek being subject to recall to Burnley I can't see Aleks going anywhere

sydnsteve
13-11-2002, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by AndyChapman

Absolutely nothing to do with Smith, my granny could've got that team promoted. The difference was she would have kept them in the top division. And she's been dead for 30 years.
Alan Smith was more full of bullsh@t than a bull's rectum, and the amazing thing was he fooled so many of the Palace supporters with it.
Every time I feel a bit down at having TF as manager I just cast my mind back to that tosser Smith, and then I'm OK.
The fact that SJ brought him back in place of Coppell I'm afraid shows a lot about Mr Flash's judgement.

freekickuk
13-11-2002, 03:09 PM
just a bit light weight for div 1
kember throught he was a waist of space,
not suited to trevor francis style of football.
also saves on a big wage.

http://www.c-palace.org/f00/gifs/ptsm_h2.jpg

wedgetail
13-11-2002, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Beanie
Why January
Maybe 24th Novemeber? They need a striker, we need a keeper.

Psychokiller
13-11-2002, 03:11 PM
At the risk of suffering ridicule from Les Butler, if anyone wants to read the TRUTH about Smith, check out this thread http://cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27170 as I really cannot be bothered to type it all out again.

nookiebear
13-11-2002, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by sydnsteve
Absolutely nothing to do with Smith, my granny could've got that team promoted.

Great minds think alike - that's the exact words I was going to use.

That team never should have gone down under Coppell in the first place, but was far too good for Div 1.

Just look at two seasons of incompetence, arguing and general ego-rubbing from Smith to get a real idea of his abiliy as a manager. And one time he took us down, and nearly did the second time if it wasn't for the Doug.

DANGERMOUSE
13-11-2002, 03:32 PM
At the risk of suffering ridicule from Les Butler, if anyone wants to read the TRUTH about Smith, check out this thread http://cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27170 as I really cannot be bothered to type it all out again. That really was a great promotion side. What a ******* waste. :hmph:

It's frightening how virtually the whole of the period 1994-7 (some of the most tumultuous years in our history - but then, aren't they all? :rolleyes: ) is a blank page to me. I remember how, the day after the Cantona incident, virtually every football fan I knew came up to me at breakfast and told me he should be banned for life...

(Apologies for going off-topic.)

Ouch that Hurt!
13-11-2002, 03:38 PM
Whenever Rubins's Played he was a godsend. Never really saw him do badly. A great shame. I feel more sadness than Clinton's departure!

Good luck Andrejs!

He only scores great goals!

Samo*
13-11-2002, 03:39 PM
Good luck rubins where ever you go! Thanks for the goal against liverpool in the cup,one not to forget! :)

2can
13-11-2002, 03:48 PM
What a waste. Perhaps he didn't put enough effort in training and reserves games? Or is it something to do with his faked injury at the end of the 99/00 season?

Lords Eagle
13-11-2002, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by kolinkins
the fee was no where near 2mill. it was hyped up to win over us fans with smith etc. the actual fee was 1.25mill. and i cant help but feel that this is a huge mistake. he will be a star somewhere else.

100% Agree, I liked him.

RDSdaEAGLE
13-11-2002, 03:56 PM
Funny, since they had a feature concerning Latvian imports struggling in Britain in the latest edition of When Saturday Comes. Rubins was mentioned.

I think chances are that Rubins will return to Skonto Riga.

Chunder Pants
13-11-2002, 03:57 PM
That has saved us 3500 a week!!!!!!!!

jempie
13-11-2002, 05:25 PM
:sob:

Crystal Palace winger Andrejs Rubins has left the club by mutual consent after failing to hold down a regular first-team place this season.
Eagles chairman Simon Jordan recently warned of "18 months of pain'' as he attempts to cut costs at Selhurst Park, and clearly decided that Rubins was surplus to requirements.

The Latvian winger has made just four appearances after falling out of favour with manager Trevor Francis this season. The 23-year-old made more appearances for Latvia than for Palace last season after signing in a £2m transfer from Skonto Riga in October 2000.

He made a total of 37 appearances for Palace but will be best remembered for his spectacular goals against Leicester and Liverpool in the Worthington Cup the season before last.

Farnboro' Eagle
13-11-2002, 05:26 PM
Already a Thread (http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29051)

Billyd
13-11-2002, 06:14 PM
Rubins quits Palace (from teamtalk.com)
Crystal Palace winger Andrejs Rubins has left the club by mutual consent after failing to hold down a regular first-team place this season.
Eagles chairman Simon Jordan recently warned of "18 months of pain'' as he attempts to cut costs at Selhurst Park, and clearly decided that Rubins was surplus to requirements.
The Latvian winger has made just four appearances after falling out of favour with manager Trevor Francis this season. The 23-year-old made more appearances for Latvia than for Palace last season after signing in a 2m transfer from Skonto Riga in October 2000.
He made a total of 37 appearances for Palace but will be best remembered for his spectacular goals against Leicester and Liverpool in the Worthington Cup the season before last.

Its a shame to see him go, he wasnt the best but a valueable back up player. I also have been told Gray and Mullins are almost certain to leave in January when the transfer window opens

:confused:

ozeagle
13-11-2002, 06:23 PM
are 1st team players and will not be released.
we will be charging onto promotion, the last thing we will do will be to weaken the squad.
hacks will be released.
:)

Mal Come Ally Son
13-11-2002, 06:26 PM
It was only this morning that I said on another thread that he's one of the few players we have who could make it in the Premiership.

Not using him is the sort of stupidity that at one time would have had me foaming - but I'm at the stage now where nothing surprises me.

I think the majority of fans don't rate him. That's excellent because in 12 months time when he's playing at a higher level than Palace (which he will be) I'll take great pleasure in starting an "I told you so thread" (which I will do).

AndyChapman
13-11-2002, 06:49 PM
Too young to remember how Smith completely f*cked us up the following year.

No. I remember Selhurst giving him a standing ovation that year.

AndyChapman
13-11-2002, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by sydnsteve
Absolutely nothing to do with Smith, my granny could've got that team promoted. The difference was she would have kept them in the top division. And she's been dead for 30 years.
Alan Smith was more full of bullsh@t than a bull's rectum, and the amazing thing was he fooled so many of the Palace supporters with it.
Every time I feel a bit down at having TF as manager I just cast my mind back to that tosser Smith, and then I'm OK.
The fact that SJ brought him back in place of Coppell I'm afraid shows a lot about Mr Flash's judgement.

I suppse we did have a good team back then but the manager still has his part to play!

themarine
13-11-2002, 06:58 PM
rubins, all the luck in the world! sorry that once again palace have shown that if you want to be treat like SH*T you should come to palace.
just look at the likes of jolly, sir sc!

ps, please dont score againest us, when your with SB!

the_next_matt_jansen
13-11-2002, 07:16 PM
Bollox.

Riccardo
13-11-2002, 07:20 PM
Great. 2m down the kermit.

Never forget that goal vs. Liverpool.

Benzhiyi
13-11-2002, 07:28 PM
Christ you guys are slow!!!!

http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29051

I see a closed thread sign imminent......

Latvian
13-11-2002, 07:33 PM
:sob: :eek: :( :sob:

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Good luck fella, please dont join Brighton!

ozeagle
13-11-2002, 07:35 PM
couldn't afford him...

Latvian
13-11-2002, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by RDSdaEAGLE
Funny, since they had a feature concerning Latvian imports struggling in Britain in the latest edition of When Saturday Comes. Rubins was mentioned.

I think chances are that Rubins will return to Skonto Riga.

C'mon Jock, Im your mate. Im doing ok for Oxted Os?!

Ruskin Old Boy
13-11-2002, 08:55 PM
Sorry to see him go, like many others above I don't think we saw him at his best - and his recent appearance for Latvia against Sweden showed all too clearly that he could hold his own against a physical side. Afraid that Smith and co have a lot to answer for our lack or return on Andrejs. Best of luck to him, wherever he goes:p

The Vicar
13-11-2002, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by WorthingEagle
probably the fact he'd lose a physical tussle with Victoria Beckham....

the word lightweight was invented for a player like Rubins, he'd probably shine in a good Premiership side and on the international stage but Division One wasn't for him.

I can't help but think we (CPFC) failed more than Rubins in this situation.

Routledge is coming along really well, and I'm a fan of Julian's as well. However, both have already been injured this season.

I can understand the point about being "lightweight" in this division...but then so was one Vince Hilaire -- in the old 3rd division, 2nd and 1st (Premier) for Palace. He didn't do too badly for us, did he?

Malakite
13-11-2002, 10:59 PM
I cant believe we have let him go..ANOTHER wasted buy down the toilet :( 1.5 million for him and what do we do?..Let him leave by 'mutual consent'...ridiculous :(

ozeagle
14-11-2002, 12:01 AM
word is that Trev once had a Latvian lady who shafted him, hence his dislike of all Latvian !
:D

ANL
14-11-2002, 12:09 AM
I was sad to see that Rubins has been released today although I suppose it was not exactly a surprise. Never worth 2m but you can't blame him for the fee Palace paid for him. Never the same after Gerrard assaulted him at Anfield.

Good luck for the future Andrejs and thanks for that goal.

What?
14-11-2002, 12:57 AM
Good luck. I have allways had a soft spot for him. His performance against Preston last year proved what a good player he CAN be, and i would imagine he Will be a good player wherever he ends up.

Good luck Acne-Man!

Gooders
14-11-2002, 07:45 AM
Every time he came on I used to will him to do well, because he so obviously had ability.

But in his recent brief substitute appearance at Selhurst every time he got the ball he was knocked off it (not unfairly, just very easily). I knew then that he'd had his chips.

Doubt that he'll come back to haunt us as I can't see who would sign him - and Mal, he certainly won't be playing at a higher level than us in this country!

Can't see Kolinko staying long without his mate - they're joined at the hip you know.

La Bombonera
14-11-2002, 08:18 AM
Following on from my "Swindlehurst Released" expose ... I have it on equally good authority the club are set to release Andrejs Rubins.

Given that he played in a trial match for Arsenal some 12 months before joining Palace and was described by Arsene Wenger as "the quickest thing I've seen on two legs" - glad you saw this one Arsene:p - what chance the little Latvian may yet have his finest hour?

La Bombonera
14-11-2002, 08:30 AM
OK, I admit defeat on this one ... I've just seen it's inclusion in last night's CP-FRIS bulletin.

I shall be having stern words with my source for having woken me up at some God forsaken hour this morning to break the news.

Before you ask ... my source rang me ... we're not in the same bed you realise ;)

Gooders
14-11-2002, 08:32 AM
Which planet were you on yesterday La B? :)

La Bombonera
14-11-2002, 08:35 AM
Gooders - regrettably I was on the planet "getting stuck into a couple of bottles of a fine red", which alas left me in no position to even consider operating my PC :p

Freddy Kurz
14-11-2002, 09:02 AM
Can't understand why nobody has referred to the serious ankle injury Rubins sustained AFTER his goal scoring exploits in the League Cup v Leicester City and Liverpool in 2000-01. Following that injury, his confidence suffered and he never really recovered his appetite for the "theatre of hard knocks" and in my viewed played only one really decent first team game for us thereafter(ie in the 2-0 home win v Preston on 13th April, 2002). Watched him numerous times for the reserves in Combination and friendly games against usually mediocre opposition in which he rarely excelled or provided leadership for the young players around him. Think the decision to let him go is probably the correct one for CPFC both financially and from a playing point of view, but wish him well for his future career in the game. His departure leaves the way open for some of our promising Academy players to break into the reserves, who in recent weeks seem to have done tolerably well without him.

jempie
14-11-2002, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Gooders
Can't see Kolinko staying long without his mate - they're joined at the hip you know.

I'm afraid you might be on to something there.

I think we've let him down by not giving him the chance to show his worth. His brief (and they have been very) appearances have not given him much of a chance.

Good luck Rubins. I have been a fan of your football skills since you joined, and I hope you join a successful club.

ANOTHER POSSIBLE BRIGHTON SIGNING????? I BELIEVE IT WAS SC THAT BOUGHT HIM. :eek:

Back to the quote, and whenever I saw AR and AK on the pitch together, and Kolinko had the ball, he always looked for Andrejs.

I don't blame him for doing that. Just think it's a shame that he's had to go.

With Gray and Mullins' contract out in the summer, and their growing possible departure, I would of thought he would have been the perfect replacement for Gray (even though I think Rubins is better than Gray).

Gark Moldberg
14-11-2002, 09:53 AM
Coincidence that he leaves within weeks of Kember taking over the reserves?

Panther
14-11-2002, 10:14 AM
I'm afraid I'm with Steve Kember on this one. Two excellent goals and a 20 minute cameo against Preston do not add up to 1.2m. For all the talk about his pace, I never once saw it; most of his crosses ended up in the Holmesdale and, as Freddy Kurz says, even in the reserves he didn't stand out. Good luck to him if he can find a niche in a less physical league (and don't forget Troyes sent him back after a week) but I'll be very surprised if he provides Mal Come Ally Son (sorry if that's spelt wrong) with the excuse for an "I Told You So" thread.

Jimbo ?
14-11-2002, 10:24 AM
best of luck rubins!!! we will remeber you In particluar that goal v liverpool (as that was the one i saw) I felt he was in the wrong position!! He plays up front for latvia and i woudl have given him a shot there - but nevermind I'm sure he will find a new club soon enough

Santos-er
14-11-2002, 11:54 AM
In January we will have no left sided midfielders. Gray IS going to a premiership club, possibly Charlton, for 1m. Either that or keep him and lose him for nothing at the end of the season. Gray isn't stalling on a contract because he thinks he'll be offered a better deal. He wants to go to a premiership club. He is the first team because he is in the shop window, trying to bump his price up a bit.

The only way I can see Gray staying is if we suddenly march up the table and charlton sit in the bottom 3 until after Xmas. The situation is down to the player, the club knows it so i am surprised at the timing of Rubins' departure. Maybe this Kinet bloke is being lined up as a replacement? Is he a left sided midfielder?

Clapham Grand
14-11-2002, 01:42 PM
The lack of left midfield cover given Gray's prediliction for injuries is a liitle worrying

Gooders
14-11-2002, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Santos-er
Gray isn't stalling on a contract because he thinks he'll be offered a better deal. He wants to go to a premiership club.

Simple question.

When is he going to start to play as if he wants it?

Blind_Eagle
14-11-2002, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Ben H
Interesting though that Arsene Wenger supposedly rated him very highly, or was this just another Alan Smith bullshit line.:rolleyes:

I seem to remember that Wenger supposedly said he was the fastest player they had looked at on trial.

Just as well no-one told Alan Smith that Linford Cristie was pretty quick

kong
14-11-2002, 11:05 PM
agree with the fella up above, i would have played him as a striker. After the Liverpool game me and a mate stitched a Latvian flag with a Latvian greeting, Djivak Latvija, and I wore it to the Sunderland game, but as flag is maroon and white stripe was perhaps flawed, got a few blokes scowl at me over their beer. Anyway Kolinko got injured that game and that was the best we ever saw of Rubins, at end of day just inflated prince, not good enough.:S: But Alex has got better since Clarke came in, has someone chained him to his upright?

jlmatthews
15-11-2002, 06:28 AM
wish Rubins were here....what a ******* goal against Leicester!!!?!?!!!!!

jlmatthews
20-11-2002, 02:40 AM
Apparently he was a waste of 2M..Too bad he never got a realy chance IMHO..What a goal against Leicester!

Andrejs Rubins has been branded a 'shocking waste of money' by Crystal Palace chairman Simon Jordan.
The Eagles supremo paid Skonto Riga 2million for the Latvia international winger two years ago.

But Rubins spent more time last season playing for his country than Palace, and Jordan paid up the remaining 18 months of his contract last week.

He said: 'Rubins has been sitting on the bench under four different managers - none of them wanted to play him.

'He was a shocking waste of money. We held onto him as long as possible but he was never going to get into the first team.'

Rubins started just 17 league matches for the club.

http://www.soccernet.com/england/news/2002/1118/crystalpalace_20021118_jordanrubinsa``wasteofmoney .html

Hedgehog
20-11-2002, 03:47 AM
I make that 118,000 pounds per game.... Were his goals that good!

jlmatthews
20-11-2002, 04:28 AM
Originally posted by Hedgehog
I make that 118,000 pounds per game.... Were his goals that good!

YES! :o

rednbluevegas
20-11-2002, 05:46 AM
But he was the fastest player Wenger has ever seen ;)

themarine
20-11-2002, 06:05 AM
i think he should have been give more of a chance to prove himself and get used to the pysical side of the game! i would put money on him scoring againest us!
:(

pete eagle
20-11-2002, 08:01 AM
well he was. 2million was way too much

Eagle Kneevil
20-11-2002, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by rednbluevegas
But he was the fastest player Wenger has ever seen ;)

I remember (former postman) John Williams of Coventry winning the Rumbelows Sprint Challenge one year. Still think I'd prefere Thierry Henry ;)

Ouch that Hurt!
20-11-2002, 08:35 AM
Its was a lot but he was good enough. Don't know why he didn't play, as Gray was injured or on the bench a lot aswell. I liked him and don't think it was his own fault he didn't play.

Freddy Kurz
20-11-2002, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by themarine
i think he should have been give more of a chance to prove himself and get used to the pysical side of the game! i would put money on him scoring againest us!
:(

This player broke his ankle AFTER his two spectacular goals against Leicester City and Liverpool, but never fully recovered his confidence thereafter. He was given ample opportunity by Smith, Bruce, Kember and Francis to regain his physical and mental fitness in numerous Reserve friendly and Combination games and from time to time in First team League games but didn't impress, except in one memorable second half performance against Preston on 13th April, 2002, a display he has failed to repeat for Palace this season in any match. Why on earth should the Chairman, who spent millions of his own money getting the Club out of Administration and putting it on its feet again, continue to pay several thousand pounds a week to a player only prepared to turn it on when he feels like it? The possibility that Rubins, in these stringent times, may find another Club in Division One willing to pay him oodles of cash, so that he can make you some money by scoring against us, is totally irrelevant. The issue is, what is good for CPFC? Most rational Palace fans will think Jordan, in this instance, has done the right thing.

Richard
20-11-2002, 09:09 AM
quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He said: 'He was a shocking waste of money. We held onto him as long as possible but he was never going to get into the first team.'

I trust that Jordan will have the sternest of words with the idiot who sanctioned this signing. I bet he was the same fool who signed the cheques for, inter alia, Ade Akinbiyi, David Hopkin, Neil Ruddock and Jamie Pollock

Panther
20-11-2002, 09:12 AM
How much money has it cost us lot to post all these different threads about the man?

Del Boy
20-11-2002, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Richard
quote:

He said: 'He was a shocking waste of money. We held onto him as long as possible but he was never going to get into the first team.'

I trust that Jordan will have the sternest of words with the idiot who sanctioned this signing. I bet he was the same fool who signed the cheques for, inter alia, Ade Akinbiyi, David Hopkin, Neil Ruddock and Jamie Pollock

I hope that's not the same guy who appointed Alan Smith as manager. Palace must be full of idiots. I hope Jordan sorts this out!!

Freddy Kurz
20-11-2002, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Richard
quote:

Shouldn't Jordan be credited with a modicum of intelligence in having learned, somewhat belatedly, how much money he has wasted and by refusing to throw even more down the drain? It would be refreshing if he were to acknowledge publicly his own role in this ill-judged spending-spree, but I wouldn't advise supporters to hold their breath......Suppose he could say it was his money and he was entitled to spend it how he liked!

candide
20-11-2002, 09:41 AM
'He was a shocking waste of money.'

...and a shocking way to express yourself to the media.

Richard
20-11-2002, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by candide

...and a shocking way to express yourself to the media.

Good point. To all those players (& their agents) faced with more than one club bidding for their services: if the offers are similar, go to the club that will look after you the best, even if you struggle despite your best efforts. Certainly beware of clubs that may demean you or affect your ability to get future contracts.

Doh !!

RednBlue
20-11-2002, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by jlmatthews
..What a goal against Leicester!

One goal does not a championship make

brighton_eagle
20-11-2002, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Freddy Kurz
This player broke his ankle AFTER his two spectacular goals against Leicester City and Liverpool, but never fully recovered his confidence thereafter. He was given ample opportunity by Smith, Bruce, Kember and Francis to regain his physical and mental fitness in numerous Reserve friendly and Combination games and from time to time in First team League games but didn't impress, except in one memorable second half performance against Preston on 13th April, 2002, a display he has failed to repeat for Palace this season in any match. Why on earth should the Chairman, who spent millions of his own money getting the Club out of Administration and putting it on its feet again, continue to pay several thousand pounds a week to a player only prepared to turn it on when he feels like it? The possibility that Rubins, in these stringent times, may find another Club in Division One willing to pay him oodles of cash, so that he can make you some money by scoring against us, is totally irrelevant. The issue is, what is good for CPFC? Most rational Palace fans will think Jordan, in this instance, has done the right thing.

Thanks Si....I mean Freddy. :D

brighton_eagle
20-11-2002, 11:01 AM
I hate to say I told you so, but, I told you so. I was extremely concerned when I first saw Rubins by his lack of strength and how easily he got brushed off the ball. He might be fast, but without the ability to hold onto the ball, he'll never do much, certainly not in the first division.

Linford Christie was fast, but probably not much of a footballer.

Cleon
20-11-2002, 11:24 AM
Re: Jordan's comments

I'm no great fan of Rubins, but is there any need to stick the boot into a player released? Surely this damages his chances of getting another club to 'waste' their money on him, which seems a little petty.

Yes, Simon Jordan wasted a lot of money on a player that wasn't upto it, but there is no need to try and kick the man further.

Dartford Lad
20-11-2002, 12:33 PM
Good to see that they will be giving Rubins a good reference then!

What a way to tarnish a players reputation! :eek:

Men At Work
20-11-2002, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Cleon
Re: Jordan's comments

I'm no great fan of Rubins, but is there any need to stick the boot into a player released? Surely this damages his chances of getting another club to 'waste' their money on him, which seems a little petty.

Unfortunately this is a side of Jordan that he hasn't eradicated. Some of his programme comments over the last 18 months have been of the style 'so-and-so has left but we've now got someone in who can do the job properly'. It just makes him sound bitter and childish and detracts greatly from the decent things he has done at the club. Also, you never know when you will run into people again.

weltklasse
20-11-2002, 02:20 PM
Jordan

Might have been able to run a mobile phone shop...lets face it what monkey couldn't. Frankly his man mangement skills are crap...putting the boot in when player have left a la Rubins is childish and pedantic and just show himself and Palace in a bad light. Also paying off the guys contract....if we were paying for him why not at least get some use out of him even if it is in the reserves....really talk about making full use of your resources.

Also his comments with regard to Kabba never making it at Palace....this coming from the man who spunked many millions over Ade.....and about a player who was desparate to play in the first team...I might trust Jordan to tell me what phone tarrif to buy....I certainly would not trust his footballing judgement.

brighton_eagle
20-11-2002, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by weltklasse
Jordan

Might have been able to run a mobile phone shop...lets face it what monkey couldn't. Frankly his man mangement skills are crap...putting the boot in when player have left a la Rubins is childish and pedantic and just show himself and Palace in a bad light. Also paying off the guys contract....if we were paying for him why not at least get some use out of him even if it is in the reserves....really talk about making full use of your resources.

Also his comments with regard to Kabba never making it at Palace....this coming from the man who spunked many millions over Ade.....and about a player who was desparate to play in the first team...I might trust Jordan to tell me what phone tarrif to buy....I certainly would not trust his footballing judgement.

Shame....cos he's all we've got. :)

I actually think he was spot on about Kabba, and about Rubins. And as for Akinbiyi...give the guy a chance when he comes back from his injury...you might just be pleasantly surprised.

YASSA the PALACETINIAN
20-11-2002, 02:30 PM
Originally stated by Jordan

How did this pratt ever "succeed" in business?
What a great way to sell a valuable "asset" - Waste of money....

Is this how he sold his company?
"Want to buy my mobile phone business mate?...more trouble than it's worth to me....bloody whinging customers...always complaining when the phone breaks after a couple of months.....never fu<k|ng satisfied....

weltklasse
20-11-2002, 02:35 PM
Thank you Yasser....my sentiments exactly....as all crap businessmen do he always tries to shift the blame...

brighton_eagle
20-11-2002, 02:35 PM
I'm confused Yassa. He's gone hasn't he. It's not like we are trying to sell him.

brighton_eagle
20-11-2002, 02:38 PM
Just one thing about this stuff about SJ being a crap businessman, and only making so much in mobiles because it was easy. How many of you saying this made millions in the mobile phone business? Surely if it's so easy, you'd have done it too?

Just wondered. It's easy to criticise isn't it?

YASSA the PALACETINIAN
20-11-2002, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by brighton_eagle
I'm confused Yassa. He's gone hasn't he. It's not like we are trying to sell him.

Your correct, of course BE. (where's the embarrased smilie gone? :( )

Still he might get done under the trades description act? :D

brighton_eagle
20-11-2002, 02:50 PM
To be honest, the strangest thing about his comments are that they just make SJ himself look bad......after all, it was him that bought the player in the first place, with AS help.

nookiebear
20-11-2002, 02:56 PM
Not every player every club buys is going to be a success

Panther
20-11-2002, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by nookiebear
Not every player every club buys is going to be a success

That's true but you can almost guarantee one thing which is if you allow a Palace manager to spend big money he'll screw up. Ismael, Padovano, Zohar, Hopkin (return of), Roberts, Rubins......hopefully not Akinbiyi in the fullness of time. Personally I'd rather stick to the John McCormicks and Geoff Thomases.

themarine
20-11-2002, 04:57 PM
[B]This player broke his ankle AFTER his two spectacular goals against Leicester City and Liverpool, but never fully recovered his confidence thereafter. He was given ample opportunity by Smith, Bruce, Kember and Francis to regain his physical and mental fitness in numerous Reserve friendly and Combination games and from time to time in First team League games but didn't impress, except in one memorable second half performance against Preston on 13th April, 2002, a display he has failed to repeat for Palace this season in any match. Why on earth should the Chairman, who spent millions of his own money getting the Club out of Administration and putting it on its feet again, continue to pay several thousand pounds a week to a player only prepared to turn it on when he feels like it? The possibility that Rubins, in these stringent times, may find another Club in Division One willing to pay him oodles of cash, so that he can make you some money by scoring against us, is totally irrelevant. The issue is, what is good for CPFC? Most rational Palace fans will think Jordan, in this instance, has done the right thing.

Last edited by Freddy Kurz on 20-11-2002 at 02:59 AM

MR FREDDY KURZ, yeah of course i would put palace befor any player! but i dont like seeing players leave the club because of money issues! there is a problem, a big one and i understand that there has to be cut backs! but what pi**es me off is that if we get read of some first players of all our "second string players", the likes of kabba but what will happen when we start getting more injurys? then what will happen to the club! D2 i doubt it but i dont want to see another "stoke port"
its a kach 22! an thats being rational!

weltklasse
20-11-2002, 05:06 PM
marine

I find your logic hard to follow.....1. we pay off the players contract thereby getting NO return on said money...2. we make the player a free agent whereby we can make NO money from any sale.....Did you go to the SJ school of business management? Therefore who is being rational...not SJ who admits we need money...

jlmatthews
20-11-2002, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by RednBlue
One goal does not a championship make
Yeah, but it wa a good goal wasn't it :D

themarine
20-11-2002, 05:32 PM
weltklasse

look at the end of the day i dont think anyone like the money problems we have at the moment and as i said i no is going to cut backs in the sence that we have have to get read of players coaching staff the list goes on! iam just glad sj is not like MG and is telling us whats going on. well want he wants to tell us!

glaziers fan
21-11-2002, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by Panther
I'm afraid I'm with Steve Kember on this one. Two excellent goals and a 20 minute cameo against Preston do not add up to 1.2m. For all the talk about his pace, I never once saw it; most of his crosses ended up in the Holmesdale and, as Freddy Kurz says, even in the reserves he didn't stand out. Good luck to him if he can find a niche in a less physical league (and don't forget Troyes sent him back after a week) but I'll be very surprised if he provides Mal Come Ally Son (sorry if that's spelt wrong) with the excuse for an "I Told You So" thread.

he lost his pace after doing his ankle ligaments, just like Hopkin. Neither were the same player after they came back from their injuries

Men At Work
21-11-2002, 07:25 AM
I find your logic hard to follow.....1. we pay off the players contract thereby getting NO return on said money...2. we make the player a free agent whereby we can make NO money from any sale.....Did you go to the SJ school of business management? Therefore who is being rational...not SJ who admits we need money...

If Rubins stayed for another 18 months at, say, 4K a week then that costs Palace 312,000. If we get rid of him now by paying out his contract it probably won't be at the full rate; perhaps it may cost 150,000. That means Palace lose 162,000 less than it would if his contract went to term. The decision to be made is whether or not someone would be willing to pay Palace money for Rubins before the end of the 18 months and whether that amount would be greater than the amount it would cost to cover his wages until that bid is received. Management have taken a look at the financial situation in football and decided that they will not be able to get a suitable bid for the player and therefore have elected to write off the rest of his contract ie: an outstanding debt. It is a standard accounting practice. Not even mentioning the problems about keeping a player around for 18 months when he has no chance of making the first team.

That is actually the rational approach, weltklasse.

Gooders
21-11-2002, 08:37 AM
marine...I find your logic hard to follow

I find his postings hard to follow, never mind the logic. Is it just me?

look at the end of the day i dont think anyone like the money problems we have at the moment and as i said i no is going to cut backs in the sence that we have have to get read of players coaching staff the list goes on! iam just glad sj is not like MG and is telling us whats going on. well want he wants to tell us!

:confused: :confused: :confused: