PDA

View Full Version : New left back

brb rule
18-11-2002, 10:35 AM
I think we are in major need of a left back as Danny Granville is useless, if it wasn't for his silly mistake on sat we might of got something out of the game. Cant really blame TREVOR for staurdays shambles as no manager can allow for such silly mistakes.

Does anyone rate GRANVILLE then as i see him to be palaces weakest link of the side.

nookiebear
18-11-2002, 10:53 AM
We are short in that department, especially as we let Framps go and Hairy is still out.

Granville might benefitn from some competition. He has been poor for a while and had a mare on Saturday.

Isn't Borrowdale a left-back, and he was on the bench on Sat

AndyChapman
18-11-2002, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by brb rule
I think we are in major need of a left back as Danny Granville is useless, if it wasn't for his silly mistake on sat we might of got something out of the game. Cant really blame TREVOR for staurdays shambles as no manager can allow for such silly mistakes.

Does anyone rate GRANVILLE then as i see him to be palaces weakest link of the side.

Totally agree with etherything said above. I dont rate him one bit hes slow and has no stength, has no confidence to take on any players so he turns back all the time. Cant remember him having a good game for ages. Only good thing seen out of him was a load of free-kicks last year against Birmingham.

Definately need a new left back thats the main weakness of the team at the moment also!

Benzhiyi
18-11-2002, 11:02 AM
I was ranting this all the way home, much to the displeasure of the Palace fans I travelled with who all seem to think Granville is ok.

He's the worst player in our side, Adebola and Thomson included.

Are you watching E_girl? :o

nookiebear
18-11-2002, 11:03 AM
Left back isn't oour only weak link, though. Derry needs a decent partner in midfield, as Aki and Thompson are not up to the job on current form

Cleon
18-11-2002, 11:12 AM
Alternatively, we could play 3-5-2, and play Julian Gray as the left wingback. A far better idea.

Gooders
18-11-2002, 11:13 AM
I thought Granville looked ok when he first joined but his performances this season have clarified why it is that he is making his way down the leagues.

Not good enough.

Highway Star
18-11-2002, 11:16 AM
Not a fan of DG, BUT, Symons and Butterfield were equally to blame. I feel both full back slots are a problem and therefore our wingers end up doing too much support work deep in their own half.
Yeah, 3-5-2, i agree.

When away from home Lads, HOW ABOUT WE KEEP IT TIGHT FOR THE FIRST 25 MINUTES?????????????

DOH!!!!!!!!!!

brb rule
18-11-2002, 11:16 AM
Well shame danny couldnt of done a pass like ashley coles when he played at Norwich in the days when we won every year.
Yeah i think wing backs is a good call but maybe put mullins in midfield & play kit, pop & powell as centre backs, with butterfield on right, we surley have got to see him perform soon aswell.

the_next_matt_jansen
18-11-2002, 11:17 AM
Oi, Stevie Thomson is good, leave him alone! As for Granville, its clear to see why Man City let him go for so cheap now...

Gooders
18-11-2002, 11:18 AM
Every time I see Thomsons name on the teamsheet, I feel like we're down to 10 men already.

Captain Pizza
18-11-2002, 11:20 AM
We have to accept that given how few left footed players there are, left back will typically be one of the weaker positions in any squad. Any left footed player worth his salt is off to the premiership pronto. Does anyone think Leeds would have signed a right-footed Seth Johnson, or Man U a right footed Quinton Fortune? (I know they're midfielders, but you get my point). I bet the fans of most other Div 1 teams also see the position as a weakness.

p.s. on a related topic - I've never understood why left footed, quick, skillful players like Matt Jansen & Robbie Fowler (for example) haven't persuaded their club managers to play them on the left wing - they'd stand a much better chence of getting into the England set-up, rather than being 7th or 8th choice striker for the national team. We all know how much England needs a left-footed left-winger.

grovesy77
18-11-2002, 11:48 AM
I'm not if this is me???
But i thought we did play 3-5-2 at Norwich (at least at the start).

Granville was supposed to be playing at CB, Gray was playing wing back.
Granville was certainly the weak link, although Gray showed why he has so many doubters - his display was lacking in quality and commitment.

I thought Symons played ok, considering his match fitness.

Butterfield was exposed by our poor tactics, it seem optimistic to expect our wing-backs to contain the Norwich wingers who where not short on Pace.

Why don't we play 4-4-2 in those situations?

Mad Raschic Ken
18-11-2002, 11:53 AM
Personally I don't think that Granville is that bad. Not that good either, but he doesn't stand out as particularly poor compared to the rest of the team. I didn't notice who was to blame for that first goal, but that's because the mistake came before the sobering effect of the ball ending up in the back of our net!

As for the formation I didn't really think we did play in a rigid 4-4-2. It seemed to me that Granville tucked inside as a left sided central defender with Gray and Butterfield operating as wing backs. Certainly Tommy Black played as a striker and not a right midfielder and Gray did plenty of defending. It seemed like a 3-4-3 formation rather than anything else.

Neil the Eagle
18-11-2002, 12:05 PM
Welcome back Ken!

arussell
18-11-2002, 12:15 PM
Welcome back "Freelance Consultant" :p

Mal Come Ally Son
18-11-2002, 12:15 PM
Granville is not up to the job - at least not on his performances so far. Perhaps TF sees something that I don't - but I doubt it. Granville keeps his place mainly because TF won't concede that he's made a bad buy.

However, Granville's weakness as a defender is exacerbated by Gray's performances and attitude. (cue replies from all those who'll slat eme for being too blind to see the skill bubbling just below the surface, just waiting to explode into the Premiership where hsi true talenst will be properly appreciated :rolleyes:

So it's not just a case of one weak link, but two. And both right beside each other.

Sleeping Giant
18-11-2002, 12:44 PM
I agree that he is an appalling defender. A total waste of money, bought on the strength of who he'd played for previously and the fees he'd commanded. The problem at the back is worse for the fact that Butterfield is also an appalling defender. I don't think I've ever seen him make a decent tackle. Unlike Granny though he might develop into something in midfield. Our left back looks a very well balanced footballer,
reminding me of Kenny Sansom in that respect, but is utterly hopeless defensively.

Daddy Long
18-11-2002, 12:54 PM
Gray and Granville don't link up well. Granville cannot tackle and Gray is not a defender or wingback. Therefore that experiment was destined to fail. It is little surprise that we were exposed down the flanks. There's no point playing Gray so deep. If we are to persist on playing Granville then we should play 4-4-2 where both himself and Gray get more protection defensively. Ultimately we should try to find someone who can tackle at left back. Maybe Fleming is the answer short term.

MAX
18-11-2002, 12:59 PM
I personally think DG is ok particularly going forward.If anyone thinks Hairy Harrison is better then they have short memories!

the_next_matt_jansen
18-11-2002, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by MAX
I personally think DG is ok particularly going forward.If anyone thinks Hairy Harrison is better then they have short memories! Who put in the cross for Morrison's goal v the scoucers?

brb rule
18-11-2002, 01:13 PM
HARRISON was quality at centre back V sunderland in FA CUP up there but will not solve our left back problems so TREVOR needs to splash out.

Has anyone heard any rumours that TONY will be signing for FULham in JAN, bloke at Norwich told me that, if that is true then palace must be having serious money troubles.

Billyd
18-11-2002, 01:19 PM
If we sell Popivic we have no chance of going up, we missed him on saturday.

Gilow
18-11-2002, 03:18 PM
I feel that Granvilles performance on Saturday was very poor! He so called clearance into the middle of the park Saturday led to the first goal? I thought that he was a good signing re-placing the likes of Harrison and Frampton but to be honest there is not alot between them!

Beanie
18-11-2002, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by MAX
I personally think DG is ok particularly going forward.If anyone thinks Hairy Harrison is better then they have short memories!

Either that or they saw some of his away performances - where he got support from the fans, not slagging off before he even touched the ball from some parts of the Selhurst faithful!

Latvian
18-11-2002, 06:44 PM
Im hoping we are flogging Kabba etc to get a left back in transfer window.

I dont think Granville wins any challenges in a match, just shadows the players into the box!

ozeagle
18-11-2002, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by brb rule

agreed, he is our no.1 liability. must go.

:sob:

glaziers fan
18-11-2002, 10:59 PM
i suggest once again that you all vote on the poll "should danny granville be dropped?". Julian Gray is not good enough at running into space, and so wing-back actually suits him! At least when he plays wing-back, you can't just slate him for not scoring enough goals or setting up enough, because the other part of a wing-back responsibility is defending and he is very good at that!

StevieCsredandbluearmy
19-11-2002, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by nookiebear
We are short in that department, especially as we let Framps go and Hairy is still out.

Granville might benefitn from some competition. He has been poor for a while and had a mare on Saturday.

Isn't Borrowdale a left-back, and he was on the bench on Sat

Totally agree about Granville but Harrison, when fit, is useless, and Framton was no better. Last good left back we had was Kenny Samson. perhaps Arsenal will loan us Ashley Cole again!!!

grovesy77
19-11-2002, 02:24 PM
What about Kenny Brown?

bald-eagle
19-11-2002, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by ozeagle
agreed, he is our no.1 liability. must go.

:sob:

What!!!! Not the Ak-meister? (makes him sound like a carpet!)

StevieCsredandbluearmy
19-11-2002, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Billyd

Wait until the transfer window re-opens and then watch SJ touting Premiership clubs with the likes of Gray, Routledge, Popovic etc.

StevieCsredandbluearmy
19-11-2002, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Billyd

if you watch Popovic each week, he covers for Granville in the left back slot time and time again, as well as having to fullfill his centre back role. Granville is adequate going forward but cannot defend to save his life. How he ever got into the Chelsea team is beyond me.

I would rate his playing skill alongside Alan Smith's managerial skill i.e. non existent.

Flying Higher
19-11-2002, 09:25 PM
the irony is that Keegan sold him because he wanted to play a back 5 and said that Danny was no wingback - but he was a decent fullback - -nice one Kev!

Highway Star
19-11-2002, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Flying Higher
the irony is that Keegan sold him because he wanted to play a back 5 and said that Danny was no wingback - but he was a decent fullback - -nice one Kev!

Funny thing is, when we bought DG Francis said that the good thing about DG is that he can play full back and wing back. Personally i back KK on this.
BTW there is a real danger of losing players in the transfer widow, becos the prem strugglers will start to panic buy. Powell, Pop, Gray, AJ, Mullins, Black all could be targets. How many we would miss is down to personnel opinion!