PDA

View Full Version : Will jamie smith be next to go?

cpfc_connection
19-11-2002, 07:37 PM
sorry if this is the wrong thread and no i have no "sources" to back this theory up but it has been on my mind. will jamie smith be next to go? the reason i ask this is because will all these players SJ is getting rid of and this "18 months of pain" he keeps going on about who will be the next casualty? i think it could be jamie smith because as it stands we have 3 right backs (Butterfield, Fleming (capt) and smith) and it seems to me that TF would rather play butterfield or fleming certainly before jamie. the other reason i think smith is the next one for the chop is because of the length he has been at the club. we signed him in exchange for the doug and muscat in 97 (october i think and made debut away vs. sheff wed 3-1 ? i think) and i should think that the loyalty bonuses must be starting to kick in and with SJ being pretty ruthless (some would say stupid) sales he has made, i think JS could next on the hit list.
personally i think he is the best right back we have had for a long time and i think he is the best one we have but i could be alone with opinion.

any thoughts on this?

RDSdaEAGLE
19-11-2002, 07:46 PM
I doubt Jamie would be released...he's popular at the club with both the players and the management.

Besides, he's injured at the mo...that's why he's not playing.

Gavin Axten
19-11-2002, 07:51 PM
Would like to see Jamie stay but I think it depends on his wages wether we keep him or not.As Jordan said today "our highest wage earners have not kicked a ball yet this season" suggests he is one of them.

pete eagle
19-11-2002, 07:57 PM
I doubt Jamie would leave, i'm inclined to think that Trev thinks of him more as a right winger rather than a right sided defender.

Flying Higher
19-11-2002, 09:21 PM
I think that Jamie (one good game in 3 ) Smith has flattered to deceive for sometime , is injury prone and is on around 4/5k per week. Better and cheaper alternatives are available.

Beanie
20-11-2002, 11:17 AM
It is impossible to say that TF would prefer to play Butterfield ahead of Smith, as he has never had the option. In any case I agree that he looks more like a right midfield than a right back. Perhaps the suggested departure of Black is indicative of the future role for Smith.

I'd be very surprised if Jamie is a high wage earner. I'd guess that SJ comment, which I believe was made a while ago, applied to Akinbiyi and Symons, who is only just back, and possibly even Rubins, although he did play a couple of times.

brighton_eagle
20-11-2002, 11:22 AM
I like him. I think he's a good enough player, little suspect defensively...but a good defensive right midfielder. And he's short, and we need more short players.

Duke
20-11-2002, 01:26 PM
When is smith supposed to be back playing again? any ideas.

wedgetail
20-11-2002, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Duke
When is smith supposed to be back playing again? any ideas.
The sooner the better.

scoobysnack
20-11-2002, 03:41 PM
Watching Jamie Smith a couple of seasons ago and last season, I think he is as good if not better on the right than Butterfield, I rate him as a right wing back for the first division.
As for the premiership - who knows if he would make the grade?
Lets hope to find out next season if he is still with us.:confused:

loomobardo
20-11-2002, 03:52 PM
4me he had his best spell 4the club just when his contract was about to run out playing in right midfield &looked really good getting forward... ive never been 100% confident in his defending +if hes not 1of the highest earners keep him or we wil have no1 left soon?! :eek:

Baz To The D
20-11-2002, 06:56 PM
A scandalous rumour heard by myself the other day was that Jamie's injury isn't as bad as he makes out, as he wants to stay at the club to pick up his "Premiership" wages, and knows he will be released when he regains full fitness...................

MENTALLY TOUGH
20-11-2002, 08:50 PM
His defending may be dodgy but he is the most consistant crosser of the ball at the club, so he alone for that is worth keeping. If we want to keep Gray, a player who beats 2 or 3 players when he feels like it & then genrally misplaces a cross then we must keep Smith, unless his legs are f*****. I think he would be a good option for the right sided midfield player/winger role, with say a Fleming behind him, Routledge could perhaps move to the left wing where I think he has far better potential than Gray who I think we should cash in on in January

Captain Black
20-11-2002, 09:35 PM
Well we haven't exactly had value for money from him have we? Smith has always looked like a decent player when he's had a run in the side but he never seems to be able to string together more than a dozen appearances between injuries. Would we really miss him?

Al From Bromley
20-11-2002, 11:45 PM
He has a bad injury and looked reallt downbeat about his prospects when i spoke to him recently. It wouldnt surprise me if he has to give up the game.

pete eagle
21-11-2002, 12:07 AM
I understand that he had a setback in his recovery but that it wasn't career-threatening. I think he may be downbeat because of the setback.
He is the best crosser the club has, he is also capable of taking people on down the wings but unlike Black, he gets to the byline and crosses

glaziers fan
21-11-2002, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by Flying Higher
I think that Jamie (one good game in 3 ) Smith has flattered to deceive for sometime , is injury prone and is on around 4/5k per week. Better and cheaper alternatives are available.

Exactly. I don't rate him. He tries hard and has an excellent cross but he's not Premier-class and thats where we are going! Fleming and Butterfield are better. i would like to see Granville, Fleming, Smith, Adebola and Thomson leave. Then I would bring into the squad some youth players like Antwi, Borrowdale, Williams. Cheaper, and better prospects. U can't lose!

glaziers fan
21-11-2002, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by brighton_eagle
I like him. I think he's a good enough player, little suspect defensively...but a good defensive right midfielder. And he's short, and we need more short players.

Short? He's a centre-half! (Oh sorry, that's just what Alan Smith thought!):rolleyes:

Sir.S.C Remembered
21-11-2002, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Gavin Axten
Would like to see Jamie stay but I think it depends on his wages wether we keep him or not.As Jordan said today "our highest wage earners have not kicked a ball yet this season" suggests he is one of them.

Agreed. I also believed he was a better paid player for many reasons such as his high regard he was held in when he joined the club. As much as I love to watch JS play and infact he would be one of my favourite Palace players I do not rate him that much. I feel his career has been dogged by injuries and that he has never fulfilled his potential. He may well be a luxury e cannot afford and he is certain dispensible but for a fee!

I love Caffeine boy as he runs round almost frothing at the mouth at the prospect of hacking someones achillies and he is always the first to stand up for fellow players, he will be sorely missed by mysefl and he has always seemed a nice cheeky chappie and more gentle man off the field.

Shame though as if you take away all the memories and consider his wage (if it is high) then it does make sense to sell him if we need to make the squad smaller

Gooders
21-11-2002, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Sir.S.C Remembered
I also believed he was a better paid player for many reasons such as his high regard he was held in when he joined the club.

By whom?

He was a makeweight in the deal that took Muscat to Wolves.

And he's mostly played like one, although I do like his commitment.

Sleeping Giant
21-11-2002, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Flying Higher

Absolutely agree. He always strikes me as a player who deoesn't fancy it when things aren't going well. On his wages i'd be happy to see him leave.

GreatGonzo
21-11-2002, 01:12 PM
The only player who has played regularly for palace in the premiership, during his current spell at the club isn't he?

Adrian
21-11-2002, 01:35 PM
I think those on this thread who've seen Jamie play reasonably often may be looking back with rose-tinted spectacles. Jamie Smith is a typical curate's egg, ie good in parts. On his day he had most of the attributes we all like to see in an attacking right-back/right wing-back/right-sided midfielder. But he had his "day" rather seldom, if we're honest. He has never been consistent, is no better crosser of the ball than Jolly or Gray and, frankly, despite his admirable tigerish attitude (usually) is not a great tackler.

It is not good enough, either, to rely on the youth product coming through: again, we all know that the way younger players learn is through gaining experience by playing with older and wiser colleagues - and it's a gradual process. You don't get Routledges that often and they have to be managed properly, meaning they don't play every game. Bringing people on at a sensible pace will benefit them and the team much more than by rushing things.

IMHO, Butterfield has a more considered and mature approach and reads the game better. He has his faults but I rate him over Jamie. Granville, on the other hand, I am very disappointed with: he is very inconsistent, is often beaten in the tackle and often seems uncomfortable on the ball. I would rather have Smith than Granville.

Sir.S.C Remembered
21-11-2002, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Gooders
Originally posted by Sir.S.C Remembered

Still was and England under 21 before at Palace

By whom?

RDSdaEAGLE
22-11-2002, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by Gooders

By whom?

Very much the other way round I believe Gooders.

Coppell was extremely impressed by Smith during the play off semi-final. We also paid quite a bit of dosh in addition to Muscat going in the other direction!

Gooders
22-11-2002, 07:56 AM
Really?

We wuz robbed!

MENTALLY TOUGH
22-11-2002, 09:31 PM
Wasnt Freedman part of the deal as well.(His contract was going to run out at the end of that season, sounds familliar)
Somthing about 800 grand changing hands.
Dunno in whos favour mind you, being that Noades was the chairman it must have been in his favour.

TAK
22-11-2002, 09:43 PM
At the time Smith was a Wolves favourite, their fans were mighty pissed off that he came to us. Shame he hasn't quite lived up to expectations.

I still rate him as a player though.

Scoot
25-11-2002, 02:12 PM
Played his best football alongside Lombardo and over lapped very well.
I still think he has alot of potential and is a better crosser than the others bar young Wayne. Would be my choice a right back allowing Butterfield to move into the middle alongside derry.

Cleon
25-11-2002, 02:30 PM
As I recall, no money changed hands, and Freedman and Muscat moved to Wolves in exchange for Jamie Smith. Smith was rated at 1m, Freedman 800k and Muscat the remaining 200k.

I think Jamie Smith is a good player with genuine potential of being able to cut it in the premiership, but only as a wingback. I don't believe he has either the defensive ability to be a fullback, nor the additional attacking edge needed to make it as a winger.

If we can keep him, then I would recommend it, but he may have to take realistic wages.