PDA

View Full Version : Possible signings in January

craigos
27-11-2002, 01:54 PM
hopefully we will within touching distance of the play offs after the Christmas games and if we add a couple of players to the squad could finish strongly and in the top 6. How about..

Matt Lockwood-
Left back from Leyton Orient, was linked with him a while back could be good competition/replacement for Granville until Borrowdale has more experience to compete for a starting place. Would surely get for something like 200-300k

Muzzy Izzett-
Although signing on fee/wages would be high (wages poss 10k) with the trouble Leicester are in the fee would probably less than 2m. Would add the needed creativity. Maybe offer him a modest salary but a large bonus if promoted this year.

If we bought this two plus with the first team experience that will be gained by Routledge, Williams, Borrowdale, Antwi etc I think we should have a strong last third of the season

Gooders
27-11-2002, 01:56 PM
Izzet - totally out of the question - earns way too much for us to be able to afford him.

Clapham Grand
27-11-2002, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by craigos
hopefully we will within touching distance of the play offs after the Christmas games and if we add a couple of players to the squad could finish strongly and in the top 6. How about..

Muzzy Izzett-
Although signing on fee/wages would be high (wages poss 10k) with the trouble Leicester are in the fee would probably less than 2m. Would add the needed creativity. Maybe offer him a modest salary but a large bonus if promoted this year.

good grief :rolleyes:

GreatGonzo
27-11-2002, 02:00 PM
Can't disagree with the Matt Lockwood part though!

arussell
27-11-2002, 02:00 PM
Whilst players will be moved on - I'd be very surprised if Jordan allows any to be signed.

His entire policy at the moment with anything Palace is to cutback.

Lockwood proved when we played Orient that he's not good enough. If we want another left sided player (and we will when Gray goes, as there's no one in the reserves who's left sided as midfield backup) then I still say go for Wayne Quinn.

The Omen
27-11-2002, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by arussell

Lockwood proved when we played Orient that he's not good enough. If we want another left sided player (and we will when Gray goes, as there's no one in the reserves who's left sided as midfield backup) then I still say go for Wayne Quinn.

Too true. I work with a Leyton Orient fan and supposedly Lockword is not all that.

Izzet would be great - but he's not a realistic target. Ginola anyone? ;)

Batsta
27-11-2002, 02:12 PM
Where's Gazza these days?
At least he wouldn't complain about the catering:)

AddiscombeEagle
27-11-2002, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Batsta
Where's Gazza these days?
At least he wouldn't complain about the catering:)

He would complain about having to queue for so long for beer and then find they have run out.

Cynical Eagle
27-11-2002, 02:38 PM
I suggest that SJ keeps hold of any money he does have so that he can give it to the new manager because it will happen TF will not be our manager next season its just a question fo when not if !!

Dartford Lad
27-11-2002, 03:43 PM
We still should have signed Matthew Taylor from Luton last summer! A class act in this division now for Pompey! :(

ozeagle
27-11-2002, 03:45 PM
what about releasings, more to the point...

Psychokiller
27-11-2002, 03:54 PM
Rio Ferdinand? I hear he's struggled since he left Leeds and should be available for about 2.9M. Though here they've missed the decimal point out and it looks really silly!

sydnsteve
28-11-2002, 10:33 AM
When are people going to realise we aren't going to sign anyone, as arussell says. If we were we would not have sold Kabba, who would now be available to bolster our non-scoring strke force.

sydnsteve
When are people going to realise we aren't going to sign anyone, as arussell says. If we were we would not have sold Kabba, who would now be available to bolster our non-scoring strke force.

sydnsteve

wedgetail
28-11-2002, 11:13 AM
Definite signings in January as I see it are Mullins and Gray, but I don't know who will be signing them yet.

ozeagle
28-11-2002, 11:18 AM
ok, it'll be mullins, gray and black out, 3 of our 14 that play each week.....we will need to recruit to replace them, which frankly will be a good thing, if we can get the quality.
:p

Beanie
28-11-2002, 11:18 AM
Why should we wait until January?If we were going to sign players, do it now and get an extra couple of months out of them. Remember there is NO TRANSFER WINDOW unless we sign from an overseas (perhaps) or Premiership (Some chance) club.

It does seem unlikely that we will sign anybody though, I can still see a few more departures, especially if there are any more deals like the one for Kabba to be done.

Gooders
28-11-2002, 11:20 AM
Our squad is way too big, and departures make sense.

Get rid of the dead wood and give some of the promising kids a chance so that we can really give it a go next season - after all, the teams coming down will all be pretty pants as well.

cpfcben
28-11-2002, 11:28 AM
think it is more likely we will be losing players not signing any! any that we do sign will be to replace those that we have lost

Cleon
28-11-2002, 11:55 AM
I agree witht he coments about Lockwood. He was nothing special at all when we played Leyton in the cup last year, and I suspect he was only ever rated briefly. If we was any good, he'd have left Leyton by now.

As for Izzet, he ain't coming to Palace.

StevieCsredandbluearmy
28-11-2002, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by craigos

Matt Lockwood-
Left back from Leyton Orient, was linked with him a while back could be good competition/replacement for Granville until Borrowdale has more experience to compete for a starting place. Would surely get for something like 200-300k

Muzzy Izzett-

If we bought this two plus with the first team experience that will be gained by Routledge, Williams, Borrowdale, Antwi etc I think we should have a strong last third of the season

You are living in cloud cuckoo land, mate. Jordan spent over 2 million on one useless player, so he would not take a chance on Izzett, even if he had the money. With the collapse of ITV Digital, we are now a selling club (wait until January and you will see), not a buying one.

Neckinger Eagle
30-11-2002, 02:18 PM
With the current cutbacks, the only players we could afford to pay will be non-contract players. Fernando Der Ornelas, anybody?

Flying Higher
30-11-2002, 10:30 PM
Send dele back to Crewe with 400k for Rob Hulse and then we will have centre forward !

glaziers fan
01-12-2002, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by arussell
Whilst players will be moved on - I'd be very surprised if Jordan allows any to be signed.

His entire policy at the moment with anything Palace is to cutback.

Good call. Wayne Quinn is a cracking player. Sign him up.

Jimbo ?
02-12-2002, 10:24 AM
get some one in on loan??????

sydnsteve
02-12-2002, 11:18 AM
We obviously haven't even got the money to do that, or surely we would have gone for Carlton Cole? I am sure he would rather have been in London than Wolverhampton. I think our finances must be really bad. I would have no problem with this if SJ hadn't been shouting his mouth off about how we would be OK. And how does he expect the team to go up if he is selling rather than buying?
Also, AA is really on 10k a week, we will be keeping him at the expense of 5 other players.
Nice one.

muffdaddy
02-12-2002, 11:33 AM
If we continue to slide down the table, how about we sell a player like Mullins to Brum for a rip off price of 2m+ and use some of the fee to pay off the rest of Francis's contract ? We can buy all the players in the world, but if we haven't got a half decent manager, then it's mid-table at best in May.

Selhurst300
02-12-2002, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by muffdaddy
If we continue to slide down the table, how about we sell a player like Mullins to Brum for a rip off price of 2m+ and use some of the fee to pay off the rest of Francis's contract ? We can buy all the players in the world, but if we haven't got a half decent manager, then it's mid-table at best in May.

And just who would you replace TF with, bearing in mind that, if you want to bring in a manager in who is already with another club, you will have to pay compensation to that other club, and we can't afford that. And if you identify a manager who's not in work, you have to ask the question, "Why not?"
Sorry, that's the reality of the situation we're in.

Brett
03-12-2002, 05:03 PM
Mustafa Izzet is on something between 30-35k per week.

Samo*
03-12-2002, 05:05 PM
And he's ****

muffdaddy
04-12-2002, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Selhurst300
And just who would you replace TF with, bearing in mind that, if you want to bring in a manager in who is already with another club, you will have to pay compensation to that other club, and we can't afford that. And if you identify a manager who's not in work, you have to ask the question, "Why not?"
Sorry, that's the reality of the situation we're in.
Only if things go really badly between now and the New Year, I would think about going with the Bullivant-Kember dream team instead of Trev.

The Vicar
05-12-2002, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by ozeagle
ok, it'll be mullins, gray and black out, 3 of our 14 that play each week.....we will need to recruit to replace them, which frankly will be a good thing, if we can get the quality.
:p

:grrr:

arussell
05-12-2002, 04:20 PM
It's sounding like it's possible that "limited" funds could be made available in January (especially if some players leave) so we may pick up one or two out of contract or lower division players.

Geezer
05-12-2002, 04:32 PM
As long as Super Trevs still here ill be happy.

Levski
05-12-2002, 10:06 PM
I just hope SJ finds the cash for Black, Mullins and Gray to stay. We can't afford anyone. If we can afford anyone we just need some of our scouting staff (is there any left) to find a ball playing midfielder from abroad that we can get in on the cheap. No such candidates around that I know of.

Brett
05-12-2002, 10:10 PM
My brother works for a French programming company and some of his colleagues have seen a picture of Zinedine Zidane in a magazine.

Apparently they say hes signing for Palace in January.

Levski
05-12-2002, 11:00 PM
I work part time as a quantitiy surveyor in cafe based in a rift in the space-time continuum outside the Sainsbury's on Tverskaya Ulitsa. Apparently the subcontractors who clean our kitchen floor once worked for Man Utd, and they tell me that Ryan Giggs is about to sign for Frottingchester Bedlington Rovers United Town Alexandra Harriers.

What?
05-12-2002, 11:44 PM
A good cup run could provide enough income for us to forget selling anybody, and could tide us over until we win promotion in the play offs with our 3rd visit to Cardiff of the season!

Santos-er
06-12-2002, 12:06 AM
Why don't we just stick with bringing in unproven talent from lower divisions and our youth setup? Get rid of these overpaid second rate premiership rejects who really couldn't give a **** about CPFC as long as they get their ridiculously fat pay cheque at the end of the month.

It's where most of our past favourites have come from and where we should concentrate on picking them up again. It's players like Matt Lockwood who can have the best brought out of them by the correct management (oh dear... on second thoughts no :D ) and a bigger stage.

Freedman, Jansen, Wright, Salako, Morrison, Southgate.... etc are all good examples of how well it's worked for us in the past.

Thin on Top
06-12-2002, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by Levski
I work part time as a quantitiy surveyor in cafe based in a rift in the space-time continuum outside the Sainsbury's on Tverskaya Ulitsa. Apparently the subcontractors who clean our kitchen floor once worked for Man Utd, and they tell me that Ryan Giggs is about to sign for Frottingchester Bedlington Rovers United Town Alexandra Harriers.

He wouldn't get in their first team.

Cleon
06-12-2002, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Santos-er
Why don't we just stick with bringing in unproven talent from lower divisions and our youth setup? Get rid of these overpaid second rate premiership rejects who really couldn't give a **** about CPFC as long as they get their ridiculously fat pay cheque at the end of the month.

It's where most of our past favourites have come from and where we should concentrate on picking them up again. It's players like Matt Lockwood who can have the best brought out of them by the correct management (oh dear... on second thoughts no :D ) and a bigger stage.

Freedman, Jansen, Wright, Salako, Morrison, Southgate.... etc are all good examples of how well it's worked for us in the past.

Agree with most of that, but wouldn't sign Lockwood, and he strikes me a lazy in the third division - imagine what he would be like in the first :eek:

sydnsteve
06-12-2002, 04:21 PM
LET'S GET THIS STRAIGHT. NO NEW SIGNINGS, NOT EVEN ANY LOANS, AS WE ARE SKINT. ALL THERE WILL BE ARE PLAYERS OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!
CAN WE NOW STOP THIS.

CPFC Beckenham
07-12-2002, 09:20 AM
Forget about any players coming in. There will only be ones going, starting with Mullins more than likely going to Birmingham.

Beanie
07-12-2002, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by sydnsteve
LET'S GET THIS STRAIGHT. NO NEW SIGNINGS, NOT EVEN ANY LOANS, AS WE ARE SKINT. ALL THERE WILL BE ARE PLAYERS OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!
CAN WE NOW STOP THIS.

That's not the vibes around - and no I can't give a source, just reading between a few lines. No warchest certainly, possibly a war shoebox.

Mad Raschic Ken
09-12-2002, 10:15 AM
Clearly the intention is to cut costs, but if players leave it may well be possible to bring new ones in. I'm sure, for example, that if Mullins were to leave for a fee, SJ would see it as good business overall to bring someone in for a smaller fee and on lower wages. He has stated that he wants to reduce the average salary of the players at the club. That is not the same as reducing the number of players.

As for loan signings, we currently have Nic Michopoulos on loan, even though we could potentially have got away with Lance Cronin on the bench. I'm sure things are tight, but if they were as bad as all that we wouldn't have kept him when the initial loan ran out. Alan Smith used to regularly (and quite madly in my opinion) go into games without a keeper on the bench. We could certainly have got away with Lance on the bench.

Psychokiller
09-12-2002, 10:35 AM
Paul Furlong is my brother and he's leaving QPR for Palace in January.

Barney Gumble
09-12-2002, 12:15 PM
My brothers ex-housekeepers daughter, used to have a gay dog that was once owned by a fat bloke who lived next door to a travelling salesman who sold a life insurance policy to an 18 year old girl who's dad had an affair with a Hungarian trappese artist who bought a unicycle from a bloke in a Orpington market. Well Arsen Wenger was buying some oranges on the stall next door for his juice maker and was overheard saying that Stephen Tompson is going to Highbury for a day out, and in exchange we will get Tierry Henry and Ashley Cole.

IT MUST BE TRUE.....COS A BLOKE SAID.

09-12-2002, 12:31 PM
Despite what a lot of people are saying I have a sneaking feeling we might see a couple of new faces soon.
It will depend on continued progress but if we are in a play off spot after Christmas then I expect to see the departure of Gray (Good Riddance) and Hayden (Not sure - but at 1.5m I think I could live with it)

That will allow us to 'nick' Tim Sherwood from joining Portsmouth + get one other - probably a left sided wing back or full back.

That'll do for me.

Clapham Grand
09-12-2002, 01:58 PM
Tim Sherwood? I'd rather have Mullins (in his present vein of form anyway). Sherwood certainly could provide some creativity but his lack of first team action in recent months counts against him IMHO

Cleon
09-12-2002, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Clapham Grand
Tim Sherwood? I'd rather have Mullins (in his present vein of form anyway). Sherwood certainly could provide some creativity but his lack of first team action in recent months counts against him IMHO

Agreed. I'd rather have the younger, more committed, though the ranks at Palace, and quite frankly more talented Hayden Mullins than the old-timer just looking for a last team to play for in Tim Sherwood. Dennis Wise was played off the park by Hayden Mullins on Saturday, and I rate Wise as a better player (not person, mind) than Sherwood.

Mad Raschic Ken
09-12-2002, 03:32 PM
If we do bring in new players they are unlikely to be players that we have heard much about. We should hoping that our scouting system unearths a couple of gems from the lower divisions that would jump at the chance to come to Palace on a sensible wage.