PDA

View Full Version : Dean Austin: how will he do in the Conference?


Beck
29-11-2002, 12:21 PM
Hi,

Woking have just signed Dean Austin. Our current right-back tries quite hard, but is rather lightweight and not much of a defender. How will Austin do in the Conference, do you think (bear in mind that several clubs are full-time now, and Woking will also be full-time by next season, so it's not really an amateur league).

Cheers

Beck

PS. Jon Boardman is doing well - got an England semi-pro cap, scored in Italy on his England debut, is now club captain. I really like him. He's playing alongside a lad called Chris Collins, who we picked up from Newport Isle of Wight ... and Collins is even better, but may not want to go full-time. Chris Sharpling has spent most of this season injured but has looked good when he's had the chance. Robbie Kember looked a bit lightweight to begin with but tries hard, and is improving. Roscoe D'Sane flattered to deceive and is now at Aldershot (I think they quite like him, but I didn't think he was anything special).

Daddy Long
29-11-2002, 12:36 PM
I think he'll do well for you, its about his level. Can play centre back or right back. I don't know if he's got the legs to play RB any more though.

Igor Iconic
29-11-2002, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the update on our rejects. I think Austin will do well for Woking, he is as committed as they come, and although not the best ball user in the game he does have alot to offer despite what alot of people on these boards have said. Just don't put him up against anyone quick. He is still a Palace legend in my eyes, for leading the players out after Stockport away when the ref and club officials had said they were not allowed to salute the travelling support on the last day. Bless him.

Cleon
29-11-2002, 12:38 PM
I'm sure he will do very well at Woking. He works very hard, and is very vocal - just not good enough for Divison 1. I'm surprised he couldn't get anything in Divisions 2 or 3 though, but I guess that's the state of football these days.

Beck
29-11-2002, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Igor Iconic
ref and club officials had said they were not allowed to salute the travelling support on the last day. Bless him.

Crikey, why did they say that?

GreatGonzo
29-11-2002, 12:51 PM
Cos they were worried that the 2000 odd travelling fans who had just seen their team avoid relegation by 3 minutes would invade the pitch and cause trouble!

Oppss most already had (invaded the pitch that is but there was absolutely no trouble)

Snorwood Eagle
29-11-2002, 12:54 PM
Deano will do a great job for your lot in the Conference. He could probably still cut it in the 2nd or 3rd Division. As committed and loyal as they come.

Gooders
29-11-2002, 12:56 PM
Hi Beck.

At that level he'll do fine. Probably captain material.

Pretty good in the air and he's as brave as they come and totally unafraid to go in where the boots are flying.

Has very little ability coming forward - his passing is mostly atrocious (although he occasionally goes on little mazy runs that stun everyone, including him).

Sometimes dives in a bit too quick and gets caught flat-footed. Not the quickest defender in the world - I reckon he's centre-back material these days and not a full-back or wing-back.

Good luck to the guy - keep us posted as to how he does.:p

anti-addick
29-11-2002, 12:58 PM
Austin has at last found his level, the bottom of the conference. Hopefully you aren't paying him too much.

Tarby
29-11-2002, 01:01 PM
Get ready for his pathetic clapping of the fans. He is awful. Let us know when the conference forwards are spinning him like a top and roasting him every week.

Beck
29-11-2002, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by anti-addick
Austin has at last found his level, the bottom of the conference. Hopefully you aren't paying him too much.

Thanks for the positive feedback, anti-addick. I think you'll find that Kettering are bottom of the Conference, however.

Duke
29-11-2002, 01:13 PM
Don't listen to some on here Beck - Deano will do a grand job for you guys.

like others have said I'm surprised no 2nd or 3rd division teams offered him something.....he still has plenty to offer.

Beck
29-11-2002, 01:17 PM
Thanks Duke (and others).

I'm hoping he can play at right back, because our right back is quite weak. Our centrebacks are all young, and strong - but there's a possibility that one of them might leave, so perhaps he's coming in as a centreback. There are some pacey forwards in the Conference though, and they have been our undoing in the past (at the start of this season we had ex-Sheff Utd Lee Sandford in defence and he was slow ... in the space of a fortnight we conceded three hat-tricks, largely because of a lack of pace!).

arussell
29-11-2002, 01:18 PM
Am surprised he's dropped down that far (he was training at Watford) but he'll be fine Beck. Whilst he didn't always have the best of times with us, I'd still say he's up to second division standard football easily.

He can play right back in a 4-4-2 certainly at that level, and in fact that's his favourite position.

Must get down and see him in action (and Boarders) soon :)

Beck
29-11-2002, 01:22 PM
Hi Alan :)

Boards is doing really well. Came through a difficult spell playing alongside Sandford (who was a real donkey - I can't believe he captained a Div 1 side), stuck to his guns and has come out of it looking strong and confident again. He was recently given the captaincy as well.

We're on Sky on Sunday, playing Doncaster at 4pm, though I can't remember if Boards is suspended or not at the mo'. If you pop down to Kingfield in the not-too-distant future I promise I won't walk right past you this time ;)

Beck

Duke
29-11-2002, 01:23 PM
he might be alright at right back in the conf....but not at the palace - he was poor in this position.

he played much better in the centre for palace.

Dartford Lad
29-11-2002, 02:08 PM
Dean Austin signs for Woking Fri 29th Nov 2002

Woking FC are pleased to announce the signing of 32 year old Dean Austin (pictured), a former Crystal Palace and Spurs player.

Dean is a rightback player and has worked with Terry Venables at Tottenham. Unable to retain a first team place under the rebuilding of the north London side he took the opportunity to join the Palace at the start of the 98/99 season despite their new First Division status.


Woking FC would also like to announce that Jamal Da Costa (17) and James Bracken (18) have both been promoted from the youth team and have signed Conference forms. This follows the decision by Chairman Chris Ingram and Manager Glenn Cockerill to bring youngsters through the ranks.

Benzhiyi
29-11-2002, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Dartford Lad
Manager Glenn Cockerill

Ahhh... that explains why Deano has suddenly joined Woking! best of luck to him, he's a committed player and will give his all.

Beck, do you have a decent internet link to profiles or a list of your current squad? At risk of sounding like Jimmi (Latvian Eagle), I wouldn't mind updating my CM files and having a butchers at the Conference with a few ex-Palace players!!!

What?
29-11-2002, 04:02 PM
He will do great there. Good luck to him, and Woking.

Beck
29-11-2002, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Benzhiyi
Ahhh... that explains why Deano has suddenly joined Woking! best of luck to him, he's a committed player and will give his all.

Beck, do you have a decent internet link to profiles or a list of your current squad? At risk of sounding like Jimmi (Latvian Eagle), I wouldn't mind updating my CM files and having a butchers at the Conference with a few ex-Palace players!!!

He sounds like a strong character.

As for player profiles, I've got some on my site here:

Cardsweb Player Profiles (http://www.cardsweb.co.uk/profiles/)

I'm in the middle of updating this, and a couple of the loan players are missed out (and some players who've left are still there) but all the ex-Palace players (apart from Austin obviously!) are on there.

If you want an up-to-date list email me on beck@cardsweb.co.uk and I'll send you one, together with squad numbers.

Beck
29-11-2002, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by What?
He will do great there. Good luck to him, and Woking.

Cheers. And to you!

Alan Pardew
29-11-2002, 05:25 PM
A few games for Woking I can see Austin ending up signing for ZHA (bighton) like Simon Rodger.

Benzhiyi
29-11-2002, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Beck
He sounds like a strong character.

As for player profiles, I've got some on my site here:

Cardsweb Player Profiles (http://www.cardsweb.co.uk/profiles/)

I'm in the middle of updating this, and a couple of the loan players are missed out (and some players who've left are still there) but all the ex-Palace players (apart from Austin obviously!) are on there.

If you want an up-to-date list email me on beck@cardsweb.co.uk and I'll send you one, together with squad numbers.

Cool, ta mate - will email you over the weekend!!! :)

BUNGLE
01-12-2002, 11:16 AM
If you can't pass, tackle, use any strength and make error after error, you will do it at any level there not mistakes that he made because he was under pressure from great players, there mistakes he made because he is a shocking player.

MENTALLY TOUGH
01-12-2002, 01:58 PM
I hope Woking have lots of dosh to pay for all those lost balls, sliced out of the ground by Deano.

Walrus
01-12-2002, 06:13 PM
I reckon Deano will be plenty good enough at Woking. As others have said though I'd worry a bit for him at RB against a quick winger.

He'll bring you experience and a bit of presence at the back, and his reading of the game will be more than adequate for the Conference.

Don't expect him to contribute anything going forward though.

Good luck to him, and the rest of Palace Old Boys FC.

Latvian
01-12-2002, 07:35 PM
He always tried so good luck to the bloke.

Come on woking (wasnt jolly with you lot breifly?)

Benzhiyi
01-12-2002, 08:39 PM
I see Deano got off to a losing start sadly...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_conf/2528135.stm

Wonder how Beck will rate his performance?

Beck
01-12-2002, 10:48 PM
Well, Austin's debut this afternoon was OK. A bit difficult to judge seeing as he'd been thrown into the side without really knowing his team-mates ... he had a couple of hairy moments, almost scored an OG but he was up against one of Donny's best players (all sorts of clubs interested in him apparently, including one or two in the Premiership), a right winger called Watson who got the better of him a number of times. Watson has refused to sign a contract that Donny have offered him and is on the transfer list as a result ... will almost certainly be moving upwards out of the Conference.

So, the verdict on Austin ... undecided as yet but I think he will probably be better than Dave Piper, our other right back. And I don't think Piper would have fared any better today!

What?
01-12-2002, 11:23 PM
Keep us informed of how he does, i will be interested to know. I think we should take a look at that guy you mentioned if he is as good as he i made out to be!

biggus mickus
02-12-2002, 01:52 PM
Watched the game on sky, he looked slow. There again, he was never quick.

GreatGonzo
02-12-2002, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Beck
Well, Austin's debut this afternoon was OK. A bit difficult to judge seeing as he'd been thrown into the side without really knowing his team-mates ... he had a couple of hairy moments, almost scored an OG but he was up against one of Donny's best players (all sorts of clubs interested in him apparently, including one or two in the Premiership), a right winger called Watson who got the better of him a number of times. Watson has refused to sign a contract that Donny have offered him and is on the transfer list as a result ... will almost certainly be moving upwards out of the Conference.

So, the verdict on Austin ... undecided as yet but I think he will probably be better than Dave Piper, our other right back. And I don't think Piper would have fared any better today!

Watched it on Sky late last night and was pissing myself at the Ex Palace players to be honest.

Boardman was not really on long enough to comment, but Kember was disappointing and it was reassuring to see that Adebola is not alone in missing sitters. All comes back to Kember about 10-12 yards out and i and was still rising as it went out of the camera shot! Really was shocking!

As for Deano, he really was unlucky not to get on the scoresheet yesterday, but boy did he try. Nice gentle lay off to the keeper to clear? Not Deano he got a nice lot of pwer behind his backpass from 8 yards which the keeper did well just to get something in the way of it.

Good to see he is still defending well, up against a right footed player on the left of midfield, he backed off and backed of showing him INSIDE onto his favoured foot and the shot was only just wide i think. Apart from that is was the usual poor passing and being twisted and turned more than a ballroom dancer! Really do hope Alan Pardew above was right and he does go to Brighton, be another 3 points then up there! Routledge Vs Deano ith Routledge being allowed to cut inside - can't wait! :D

AJ1969
02-12-2002, 02:27 PM
you can move a turd from the pavement to the road but it will still smell bad

Sir.S.C Remembered
05-12-2002, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Daddy Long
I think he'll do well for you, its about his level. Can play centre back or right back. I don't know if he's got the legs to play RB any more though.

Thats one think Deano did do, keep himself fit

I think that Deano will do ok for you but not shine as he always seemed to match the level he was playing against and ten play worse