PDA

View Full Version : Brum's January raid

TommyEagle
02-12-2002, 03:00 PM
At first glance this isn't Palace related, but on second thought, it seems to tie in with what Francis and Jordan have been saying about cutting the losses on some of the higher paid players. Who is on their way for cut price fees? Jules? Mullins? Popo?

Blues target new quartet

Premiership newcomers Birmingham City look set to sign up to four players when the transfer window reopens in the New Year.
Manager Steve Bruce's main target is defensive cover for the injury-ravaged Blues.

Bruce has been without Mark Grainger, Steve Vickers and Michael Johnson for much of the season due to injury.

But, despite the trio returning to fitness, the former Manchester United defender is keen for bolster his backline from January.

Ex-Newcastle full-back Didier Domi is believed to head Birmingham's shopping list.

Domi, currently at Paris St Germain, moved to the French capital last January but the club is now struggling with spiralling wage demands.

Steve Bruce has made it clear he does not want talk prematurely about any players coming here

Birmingham, however, refused to be drawn on which players they were targeting.

A spokesman for the club told BBC Sport Online: "The plan is for us to sign three or four players when the transfer window reopens in January.

"Steve Bruce's main goal is to add to our current defence, particularly at left-back, but I don't imagine defence will be the only area which will see players added."

Bruce has already revealed he is keen to sign Senegal's Ferdinand Coly but has remained tight-lipped about other Blues targets.

Birmingham's spokesman continued: "Steve has made it clear he does not want talk prematurely about any players coming here.

"We'll make any annoucements when the time is right."

Blues owner David Sullivan, though, has made it clear only "limited resources" will be made available to Bruce.

Sullivan has hinted the club's new signings could be brought in on short-term contracts until the end of the season.

Personally, I wouldn't mind too much if we got rid of Jules and selling Mullins wouldn't be great but we'd cope. I really hope Popo doens't go though. Does anyone have any "inside" info on who's going to leave?

Billyd
02-12-2002, 03:02 PM
Yeah Wayne is going to Arsenal see my thread.

TommyEagle
02-12-2002, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Billyd

Firstly, I've read your thread and it appears to be an outright lie. Secondly, why post in this thread? What on earth does Wayne to Arsenal have to do with Birmingham pinching our players for cut price deals?

Walrus
02-12-2002, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Billyd

And he probably would if Wenger dangled at least 5million + sell-ons and appearance fees in front of SJ.

Back on topic, I have no info whatsoever but given Judas' track record a bid for Pops seems very likely to me.

Scoot
03-12-2002, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by TommyEagle

"Steve Bruce's main goal is to add to our current defence, particularly at left-back, but I don't imagine defence will be the only area which will see players added."

See - ya Granville :rolleyes:

Well it as likely as the Routledge one :D :D :D

ozeagle
03-12-2002, 01:44 PM
we are going to sell Popo, Powell, Symons, Routledge, they are all required players and players we need to go up, some day soon !
since when did Wenger buy 17y.o's anyway ?
some of the sh it stirring regards players on this board is unbelievable, admin please put an end to it !
gray, black, maybe, but no one else.
after all, we hardly have a squad as it is !
:veryangry

GreatGonzo
03-12-2002, 01:49 PM
Mullins and Jules are possibilities, Mullins would be the most likely as SB knows he can play in a defensive 3 very well so i guess he may be on the list.

Popovic is unlikely as we do not need to cash in on him before his contract runs out as it goes until end of next season i believe, although is one of our top earners.

Not sure who they have playing on their left but Bruce certainly rated Jules at Palace so we will have to wait and see on him.

If we could get 3m for the 2 of them i don't think it weakens our squad too much and would bring in some much needed revenue.

Brett
03-12-2002, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by ozeagle
since when did Wenger buy 17y.o's anyway ?

He paid 2M for 15 year old Jermaine Pennant from Notts County some years back.