PDA

View Full Version : Mullins and Gray

jempie
04-12-2002, 10:25 AM
Personally I think it's about time we cashed in on these over hyped players.

I'd settle for 2 mil for em both.

If they don't leave and become free agents, possibly re-sign Julian. But it would have to be on our terms.

Mullins is awful (why on earth is he our captain). Wouldn't be in my starting XI.
Gray is useless too. Unfortunately one of only 2 senior left footed players, but easily replaceable

henryhallandhisbasque
04-12-2002, 10:34 AM
And hang on to all our other over-hyped ones?

The Vicar
04-12-2002, 10:36 AM
I just don't understand your post. I'm not going to engage in any ad hominem attacks, but I can't understand how you can suggest that Mullins is not an extremely important all 'round player for Palace, and one of our most skillful.

While I don't think Julian is on the same level as Mullins, when he's on, he can really cause havoc with opposing defences. He can run at players, take them on, and whip across some good balls. Is he always consistent? No. Has he played some very important matches for Palace and does he have an enormous amount of skill that can turn a game? Yes.

They are both quality players. I think Mullins has been more important for Palace than Gray up to this point. Did you see Mullins in a back 3 against Grimsby a week ago? He didn't put a foot wrong.

Maybe we are destined for permanent mid table mediocrity if we as supporters have such divergent views. No wonder we can't just get behind the team.

If we sell our best players, how can we expect to be anything but mediocre?

Highway Star
04-12-2002, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by jempie

If they don't leave and become free agents, possibly re-sign Julian. But it would have to be on our terms.

Mullins is awful (why on earth is he our captain). Wouldn't be in my starting XI.
Gray is useless too. Unfortunately one of only 2 senior left footed players, but easily replaceable

Sorry, can't agree with this post, even slightly!!!!!

Mal Come Ally Son
04-12-2002, 12:47 PM
You think that Mullins ia 'awful' and Gray is 'useless and easily replaceable'.

But IF that's the case why do you value them at 1m each?

There's a bit of an inconsistency here

Dartford Lad
04-12-2002, 12:53 PM
I think Mullins is an important part of the team and he is obviously commited to Palace. Gray on the other hand, seems to be itching for a move away from Palace anyway, so we are being put in the same sort of situation as when Clint left. The only difference is that Clint still put in the effort! :)

Cleon
04-12-2002, 01:03 PM
This barely deserves a reply.

Mullins is without doubt one of our most talented players. Yes he can be frustrating, but he gets everywhere. He tackles back, sets up attacks which he then supports in, providing a physical presence in midfield, and always works hard for the rest of the team. His versitility has helped us out on numerous occasions, and he's committed to CPFC. I'd like to see him signed on a long-term contract immediately. You won't find any player half as committed or as talented as Hayden Mullins for a poxy 1m.

Gray has been disappointing this season, and has yet to reach the levels he achieved last year. Partly I suspect this is due to his longterm injury, but I agree that he needs to get back on track asap. I would like to see him signed on another contract - he is out of contract in the summer. Not sure whether he'd be allowed to leave on a free (under 24, but does this count if we've bought him rather than bringing him through our academy?).

Stockport_Eagle
04-12-2002, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by jempie

I can see why you think that, and I agree to a point. I only ever seem to notice Mullins when he's just passed straight to an opposing player, something he always has done a lot of, I think.

That said, I think he is a decent player who is versatile and on balance we probably need to keep him. I actually think that while he is a useful defender, I prefer him in midfield and as a creative midfielder at that. He got about 12 or 13 goals one a few years back from midfield, and we swiftly put him in as sweeper the next year!

As for Gray, he seems to be a bog standard temperamental winger. With some decent man management, I think he would be a great left winger/wingback. If we are unable to manage him, then we should cash in.

We should not let either leave for free (or for minimal compensation in Grays case (under 24)).

muffdaddy
04-12-2002, 01:08 PM
Gray's been disappointing this season so far, but at least he's weighed in with some important goals. He still doesn't look match fit in my opinion. Now he's got tonsilitis. I hope we don't get rid of him. Now Rubins has gone we haven't got many left-sided players. I think JG will come good.

David
04-12-2002, 01:25 PM
Last night Mullins and Riihilahti were excellent. Mullins played some great passes, and made some vital interceptions. Aki kept battling and stopped Oldham attacking.

Please don't sell Mullins, he is a Youth product, and is so useful as he can play in a number of positions.

Simon Forrest
04-12-2002, 01:30 PM
Mullins has been my favourite player for 3 seasons now. He makes mistakes at the back, but other than that he is excellent.

If we sell him - it would be like selling Southgate, which cut me up aswell.

sydnsteve
04-12-2002, 02:46 PM
Mullins is an excellent player. Even when he is not passing well he is always making important interceptions. When he goes, as I have no doubt he will, just how much we will miss him will be apparent.
As for Gray, I am much less sure. He has ability but will he ever add application? I am beginning to doubt it.

THETwins
04-12-2002, 03:48 PM
Gray shows his form every now and then, but bottles it the rest of the time.

MENTALLY TOUGH
04-12-2002, 07:58 PM
Let Gray go, Mullins is more useful becasue of the number of positions he can play in. Saying that if only Mullins could have a number of games in the same position then it many of his doubters would see why so many of us do think of him so highly.
I am convinced that given a consistant run in midfield he could return to the form of his first 2 seasons in the team, It was the only good thing Venables did when he came back.

Gray just dont produce enough end product for someone in his position.
Let him goto Charlton she he can drag them down.

palace_crystal
05-12-2002, 10:40 AM
Mullins = wank, far too inconsistent with his passing, but DOES possess the ABILITY

grovesy77
05-12-2002, 10:57 AM
Both decent players.

Gray - looks like he has already made his mind up, definetly going.

Mullins - Quality player, will benifit from playing a more settled role, top performance against Oldham

It wasn't me!
05-12-2002, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by palace_crystal
Mullins = wank, far too inconsistent with his passing, but DOES possess the ABILITY

Bit harsh!

Cleon
05-12-2002, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by It wasn't me!
Bit harsh!

Bit harsh? I thought it was inane drivel.

smileysmith
10-12-2002, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Cleon
This barely deserves a reply.

Mullins is without doubt one of our most talented players. Yes he can be frustrating, but he gets everywhere. He tackles back, sets up attacks which he then supports in, providing a physical presence in midfield, and always works hard for the rest of the team. His versitility has helped us out on numerous occasions, and he's committed to CPFC. I'd like to see him signed on a long-term contract immediately. You won't find any player half as committed or as talented as Hayden Mullins for a poxy 1m.

What he said. Except about Gray - haven't quite worked out if I think he is uncommited or still suffering from injury. I'm swinging toward the 'uncomitted' idea at the moment, and wouldn't be particulary bothered to see him go - my only woirry is that on current form we wont get what he is worth ...

cpfcben
10-12-2002, 11:55 PM
i'm sorry but you are talking out of your backside
mullins is a fantastic player, sometimes prone to the odd error but he is still a class act

Scoot
12-12-2002, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by smileysmith
What he said. Except about Gray - haven't quite worked out if I think he is uncommited or still suffering from injury. I'm swinging toward the 'uncomitted' idea at the moment, and wouldn't be particulary bothered to see him go - my only woirry is that on current form we wont get what he is worth ...
Agreed, although I do actually beleive that he is playing like a player that KNOWS he is on the move (already at the :clown: 's?).
As for Mullins ... he is pure class and we should keep him as he will prove his worth in the Premier.

Axie
17-12-2002, 09:21 AM
Gray keen to stay at the Palace
By Adrian Curtis, Evening Standard
17 December 2002

Juliam Gray has no regrets about leaving Arsenal. The 23-year-old left-sided midfielder gambled on kick-starting his career at Crystal Palace, but has endured a bumpy ride since joining them for 500,000 in July 2000.

Injuries and four changes in management have put his career on hold, but Gray hopes to help Palace into the semi-finals of the Worthington Cup at the expense of Sheffield United tonight.

He is also out to prove he has a future at Palace because his contract expires in June.

Gray said: "There is a lot more to come from me. I missed pre-season because of ankle surgery, and lots of little injuries have made it very frustrating.

"It was a big decision to leave Highbury, where I started as a schoolboy aged nine. I played one game for the first team at Newcastle but it was hard to break through because Marc Overmars was at the club and they had just signed Robert Pires.

"Arsene Wenger could not guarantee me a regular place. He didn't want me to go, and although I appreciate everything I learned at Highbury, I wanted first-team football. Moving made me grow up and I'm more of a man now.

"I would like to be in the Premiership-next season with Palace. The club want to speak to me about a new deal but I want to concentrate on playing. I want to set the record straight and be the best I can.

"I want to be in the Premiership and play for England."

In the meantime, Sheffield United must be beaten. Gray said: "We will have to be at our best. We have a history of doing well in this competition and want to continue that."

grovesy77
17-12-2002, 09:23 AM
Nice bit of publicity, his agents done well. Based on recent performances the story is absolute sh*t!

pedro
17-12-2002, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Axie
17 December 2002

Moving made me grow up and I'm more of a man now.

"I would like to be in the Premiership-next season with Palace. The club want to speak to me about a new deal but I want to concentrate on playing. I want to set the record straight and be the best I can.

"I want to be in the Premiership and play for England."

How can he have the audacity to say he is more of a man when he still tackles like a girl. I also like the bit about concentrating on his football, this translates to 'sorry but I have already been tapped up and will be off as soon as my contract expires.' As for wanting to play for England, so did I once but after that I wanted to be a policeman and a fireman and after that I had to go to senior school and study properly. Wake up and smell the roses Julian, Ericsson may well be giving out caps left right and centre at the moment but he has not completely lost his marbles. To be fair I think a player who cannot even command a regular first team place in a Div 1 side has every chance of playing for his country, Not!
Take your own advice and concentrate on your football, then you will realise that you are not half as good as you think you are and you might decide to stop cheating your 'adoring public' and earn your salary rather than prancing around like a fairy.
Hopefully you and I will both get want we want for Xmas, you want to go to a Premiership legend like Charlton and quite frankly that is exactly want I want you to do as well. Brilliant that means we would have f**ked up both Charlton and Brighton in the same season!

Georgie Boy
17-12-2002, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Axie
17 December 2002

Injuries and four changes in management have put his career on hold, but Gray hopes to help Palace into the semi-finals of the Worthington Cup at the expense of Sheffield United tonight.

It's not an excuse as such but when you are a young player at a first division club, having injuries and four changes of management is surely unsettling?

He has to improve if he wants to 'make it' with us or with another team, but I believe Trev 'n' Co need to keep working with him for a little while longer - give him confidence and he will be the player we want him to be.

As for Mullins - dodgy start, but I think that was more of a team thing. He doesn't have the age or experience on his side to make his mark when we're playing badly but is vital when we start to move up the table.

He may pass to the oppostion once in a while but you can see what he's trying to do. Soon, 99% of those balls will complete and assist our forwards a lot more than he has done in the past.

garner
17-12-2002, 02:37 PM
Mullins is a quality player, he tends to be a bit casual sometimes but his control and vision make up for it.

you can always tell a really good player by the amount of time they have on the ball, Mullins is no exception he just needs to USE that time a bit more effectively, that will come with age. Remember although he's been playing for us for AGES he's still only 23

As for Gray, I also think he's a good player, It sometimes just seems like he's not trying very hard.

MG

Elephant with mouse gyp
17-12-2002, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by garner
As for Gray, I also think he's a good player, It sometimes just seems like he's not trying very hard.

You're right and that's one of the reasons I like him so much - economy of effort and all that.

ozeagle
17-12-2002, 03:10 PM
economy of effort = economical effort = lack of effort.
oxo gray if he can't lift.
take them on Julian !!!!
:rolleyes:

Mal Come Ally Son
19-12-2002, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by pedro
How can he have the audacity to say he is more of a man when he still tackles like a girl.

Hopefully you and I will both get want we want for Xmas, you want to go to a Premiership legend like Charlton and quite frankly that is exactly want I want you to do as well. Brilliant that means we would have f**ked up both Charlton and Brighton in the same season!

Excellent, Pedro. The truth, spoken with feeling:p