PDA

View Full Version : Matt Upson

Raf
09-12-2002, 10:42 AM
On the BBC...

Matthew Upson says he will quit Highbury if he fails to win a place in the Arsenal side.

The former England Under-21 central defender returns to north London on Monday after a successful loan spell with First Division Reading.

But, with the transfer window opening in less than four weeks, Upson's career is at a crossroads.

I'm quite happy with our central defence, but it does seem to be more than a little injury prone. Given the regular three in the middle, it would be nice to be able to pick from Popo, Symons, Powell and Upson. Would also mean Mullins would be free to play in midfield for as long as we might have him.
Obviously, we've all seen a bit of Upson in the past, and to be honest I didn't rate him that much while he was with us. But he seems to have come on leaps and bounds since then - and I believe is playing storming football for Reading.

Dartford Lad
09-12-2002, 11:45 AM
I would most definately like to see him back at Palace but I think he will end up joining a team like West Ham, Man City or Newcastle. :confused:

Shame as he could of been an asset!

Cleon
09-12-2002, 11:52 AM
He is clearly a quality defender. During his time with Palace he improved every game he played, and was starting to show his quality by the end of the loan spell.

Ignoring the fact that he'd be more likely to feature for a West Ham etc., and the fact that he was apparently very happy to leave Selhurst (cheers Mr Smith, again), I doubt this is a justifable signing. We have very limited funds available, if at all, and I suspect Francis would have to sell a player or two before Jordan would agree to taking on Upson. We have three quality centre backs, with Mullins as a standby in the event of injury. In the event of injuries to several players, people like Antwi should step forward and be counted, and we can revert to 2 centre backs etc. Not ideal, but realistic.

If we had to sell to afford Upson, I would would say no. I'd rather keep Gray/Mullins etc. rather than get a fourth, admitedly quality, defender.

grovesy77
09-12-2002, 11:56 AM
Upson is pure quality.

Definetly would get into most premiership sides.
Newcastle seems the most credible link at the moment.

ozeagle
09-12-2002, 12:03 PM
we don't need him, good as he may be..
we need a quality midfielder.
interesting to see what happens to Reading now ?
any ideas ?
:rolleyes:

grovesy77
09-12-2002, 12:07 PM
Considering they are playing Sheff Utd next I expect that Kabba will have a hat trick!

wedgetail
09-12-2002, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Raf

I'm quite happy with our central defence,
I agree and what is more , Kit, Tony, and Darren are all better than Upson.

Clapham Grand
09-12-2002, 01:56 PM
I think he is scarred for life emotionally after the experience he had with Smith! Besides it's midfielders we need, not defenders

arussell
09-12-2002, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by wedgetail
I agree and what is more , Kit, Tony, and Darren are all better than Upson.

Err ... right ... ok Wedge. That means Arsenal will be contacting us next month then ? ;)

Upson's a quality centre back that ages ago I suggested we look at.

Unfortunately when he was on loan with us, he was completely un-impressed with both Smith and the way the club was run, which is why we never saw the best of him performance wise.

wedgetail
09-12-2002, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by arussell
Err ... right ... ok Wedge. That means Arsenal will be contacting us next month then ? ;)

depends on whether they want a good defender or Upson I suppose.

jlmatthews
09-12-2002, 03:17 PM
Would be nice...especially since we have the yellow card king and injuries all the time. He would be more than just 'cover'

The Omen
09-12-2002, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by jlmatthews
especially since we have the yellow card king

Funny stat:

Powell has been booked this season 8 times in 21 1st Division games.

Rio Ferdinand has only been booked 8 times in his whole career (including internationals).

Pamber Eagle
09-12-2002, 03:39 PM
Absolutely no chance on his wages which I think are 8k per week.

Ruskin Old Boy
09-12-2002, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by ozeagle
we don't need him, good as he may be..
we need a quality midfielder.

Amazing: I agree with ozeagle:eek: :D

Sir.S.C Remembered
09-12-2002, 06:00 PM
He was poor at us although got batter towards end but for Reading when they played us he was awsome

Symons isn;t the youngest player ever and is Antwi going to be his replacement?

ozeagle
09-12-2002, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Ruskin Old Boy
Amazing: I agree with ozeagle:eek: :D

why amazing ? i usually speak sense !

:D

Benzhiyi
10-12-2002, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Sir.S.C Remembered
He was poor at us although got batter towards end but for Reading when they played us he was awsome

Symons isn;t the youngest player ever and is Antwi going to be his replacement?

Symons is 31 - only two years older than Popo and Doog, and I wouldn't imagine you'd be putting them out to roost yet?

Kit is very similar to Des Walker in that his game relies on positioning and heading, and Des is still going strong at 37, and looking very good or a return to the Prem with Forest next year.

He may be prematurely greying but there's at least three or four solid years in Symons yet...

grovesy77
10-12-2002, 11:40 AM
I think Symons career lenght will be decided by his ability to stay injury free rather than his fitness.

Des Walker has been relatively free of injury over the past few seasons and as a result has managed to continue playing. It is far easier to keep playing week in week out, it is much harder to get yourself back to full fitness when you have been out of the game for any length of time.
I think this is the reason that Zola continues to train throughout the summer, rather than taking a summer break.

ozeagle
10-12-2002, 12:02 PM
best we have, thank God he is 31, otherwise oxo, snapped up by a hafl decent premiership club...can't believe Foolham let him go !
:p

Benzhiyi
10-12-2002, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by ozeagle
best we have, thank God he is 31, otherwise oxo, snapped up by a hafl decent premiership club...can't believe Foolham let him go !
:p

and kept Andy Melville! :eek: :clown:

Beanie
10-12-2002, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by grovesy77
I think Symons career lenght will be decided by his ability to stay injury free rather than his fitness.

What is it always about Symons and injuries? He has one (that is ONE ) significant injury in his career I believe. And though it was a biggie few if any players go a career without something like that happening.

Gooders
10-12-2002, 01:24 PM
I was just going to say the same thing Beanie.

Until last season, he had apparently never had a long-term injury in his career.