PDA

View Full Version : Rubins wings his way to Spartak

gustavio
11-12-2002, 09:47 AM
Rubins wings his way to Spartak
Tuesday, 10 December 2002
FC Spartak Moskva have added Latvian international winger Andrejs Rubins to their list of winter aquisitions.

Five signings
Spartak, who charted third when the Russian Premier League finished in November, have already made five new signings - the latest of which is the capture of Rubins from English First Division club Crystal Palace FC.

Free transfer
Rubins, who has played just twice for the English club this season, was released shortly before his 24th birthday last month and joins Spartak on a free transfer, along with Russia Under-21 striker Roman Pavlyuchenko and the FC BATE Borisov trio of Dmitri Likhtarovich, Pavel Shmigero and Artem Kontsevoy.

Rubins happy
Former FC Skonto wideman Rubins, who has won 36 caps for Latvia, said: "I am happy to join Spartak. I am happy with my personal contract - there only a few formalities left to complete." Rubins will become only the second Latvian to play for the Russian club after Andrejs Stolcers, who scored in each of his first four Spartak games.

GreatGonzo
11-12-2002, 09:57 AM
To Rubins will play European football then!

Now we will see just how good the boy is won't we!

melteagle
11-12-2002, 10:08 AM
Good riddance - much too lightweght - would have been Ok perched on top of a christmas tree but not alot of use anywhere else

gustavio
11-12-2002, 10:16 AM
Please, your comments eagls fans. What you think about this free transfer?

Regards, Gustavio Spartak fan.

ps this is not offtop?

2can
11-12-2002, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by gustavio
Please, your comments eagls fans. What you think about this free transfer?

Regards, Gustavio Spartak fan.

ps this is not offtop?

Rubins is a fantastic player, just not suited to the English First Division.

Benzhiyi
11-12-2002, 10:31 AM
He'll do a job for you Gustavio. I think a game where he can play in his gloves and run round in the snow a lot without getting kicked will suit him to a tee.

Too lightweight to play against big burly defenders though - all you need to do is put in a couple of early hard challenges and he'll shy away from the game. His best games always came against passing sides like Liverpool and Leicester, who weren't concerned with kicking him at every opportunity.

AndyChapman
11-12-2002, 11:10 AM
Good luck Rubins:p

ozeagle
11-12-2002, 11:25 AM
quality player, on fire oin moscow next year..

Riccardo
11-12-2002, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the Liverpool and Leciester goals mate, they were class. It's a shame that you never fulfilled your potential. Who knows, you might have even helped us get promoted one day....good luck in Russia.

PS - If I ever meet Steven Gerrard I'll give him a kick in the leg that he won't forget ;)

Dartford Lad
11-12-2002, 11:42 AM
Shame it never worked out at Palace but he should do ok at Spartak. :cool:

Pub Idol
11-12-2002, 12:03 PM
Good enough to play for a champions league side but not good enough to play for Palace :rolleyes:

Gark Moldberg
11-12-2002, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Benzhiyi
His best games always came against passing sides like Liverpool and Leicester, who weren't concerned with kicking him at every opportunity.

In the second leg game at Anfield, the first thing Stephen Gerrard did was to kick him ten feet into the air. He did disappear from the game after that!

Clapham Grand
11-12-2002, 02:01 PM
Let us know how he does at Spartak!

THETwins
11-12-2002, 02:54 PM
Rubins is no doubt a quality player. He didnt get too much of a chance at Palace (especially this season) did he?

He will do well!

Gooders
11-12-2002, 03:24 PM
I think he'll do ok.

Although they were by far the worst team in the Champions League, by the way.

He was a marked man in this country. Every club soon realised that if we played him, all they had to do was kick him once or twice and that would be it. Those sort of tackles are much more likely to be punished on the continent.

Shame, I would have liked to have seen him play a lot more for us, but I can fully understand why he didn't.

:(

Beanie
11-12-2002, 04:54 PM
Not knowing anything much about Russian football it is hard to say how Rubins will do. He was given every chance at Palace - but five different managers didn't see him as English Div 1 material.

If the Russian League will allow him to get the ball down on decent (at worst semi-decent) pitches and run at players without fear of being kicked up in air as he goes past players I think he will do well. If the Russian league is played on muddy pitches with the same sort of defences at he found in England who will kick him once or twice, I suspoect he will vanish without a trace, as he pretty well did here. Undoubtedly skillful player - but very fragile.

Dartford Lad
11-12-2002, 04:57 PM
You only have to look at Oleg Luzhny to see the ugly, stone-faced defenders he will be facing! :D

Im sure he will relish that! ;)

Batsta
11-12-2002, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Benzhiyi
I think a game where he can play in his gloves .

To Russia with gloves :o

Latvian
11-12-2002, 09:29 PM
Make Kember eat his words Andy!

(could do with some food might sober the tw@t up!)

Gooders
12-12-2002, 07:34 AM
Does excessive alcohol over a sustained period make you bow-legged?

I was just wondering.

Sir.S.C Remembered
12-12-2002, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by Latvian
Make Kember eat his words Andy!

(could do with some food might sober the tw@t up!)

Harsh but from what I have heard VERY FAIR comment:p

Mal Come Ally Son
22-12-2002, 11:46 PM
What a load of bollocks on this thread. Comments along the lines of "too lightweight" and "all a hard defender has to do to stop him is give him a good kicking" totally ignore the fact that dozens of players with a slim build have thrived in English football over a period of decades.

Let me be even more blunt. Kember was talking through his arse when he described Rubins as a waste of space.

May I be blunter still ? He was not discarded by four managers. Smith rated him. Bruce it seems did not, and Francis clearly does not. Kember was not a manager - he was a two game stand in.

So - two Palace managers didn't rate him and one did. That's not convincing enough by itself. Rubins (and time) will prove me right or wrong. But I'll repeat a forecast that I made a few weeks ago an another thread. In a years time Rubins will be playing a higher level of football than the Palace. And I think we'll be asking ourselves how two Palace managers could not make use of this skilfull footballer. :veryangry

Freddy Kurz
27-12-2002, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Pub Idol
Good enough to play for a champions league side but not good enough to play for Palace :rolleyes:

After being given the Gerrard "treatment", resulting in a broken ankle, he was never the same player, always looking to avoid heavy challenges in the first team and reserves. Palace just haven't got the money to pay mega wages to a player not prepared to give us 100% in every game. Leading European Clubs can afford to take a gamble with such a player, provided no fee is involved and the wages aren't too high. Moscow Spartak have also probably got the top-class physiological and mental therapeutic facilities(inherited from the days of state-run sport) to help players through post-traumatic experiences of the kind Rubins has experienced. Nor should Palace fans be surprised if Kolinko eventually joins his old Skonta, Riga pal at the Russian club Hopefully,
Palace will be able to command a sizeable fee for this excellent 'keeper, if he cannot be persuaded to extend his contract at Selhurst Park. Is it inconceivable that the real reason for Spartak signing Rubins is to eventually capture Kolinko? Stranger things have happened in football! Oh! And I suppose it is too much to ask that players like Gerrard, Keene etc, and other bovver boys from the glamour Clubs, responsible for maiming so many of their fellow professionals, should be put out of our game permanently?

Beanie
27-12-2002, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Mal Come Ally Son
What a load of bollocks on this thread. Comments along the lines of "too lightweight" and "all a hard defender has to do to stop him is give him a good kicking" totally ignore the fact that dozens of players with a slim build have thrived in English football over a period of decades.

Let me be even more blunt. Kember was talking through his arse when he described Rubins as a waste of space.

May I be blunter still ? He was not discarded by four managers. Smith rated him. Bruce it seems did not, and Francis clearly does not. Kember was not a manager - he was a two game stand in.

So - two Palace managers didn't rate him and one did. That's not convincing enough by itself. Rubins (and time) will prove me right or wrong. But I'll repeat a forecast that I made a few weeks ago an another thread. In a years time Rubins will be playing a higher level of football than the Palace. And I think we'll be asking ourselves how two Palace managers could not make use of this skilfull footballer. :veryangry

It is indeed possible to prosper in English football whilst being of "slim build", but that is not the same as "lighweight" you could be 6'6", built like a brick privy and still be "lightweight". It's about what you do with whatever degree of bulk you may have. Rubins could be knocked off the ball if somebody sneezed in his general direction, and without a doubt he didn't fancy the physical side of the English game. You have two choices with a player like that, you either coddle them and accept the flashes of brilliance they will provide from time to time as being worth the fact that you are playing with ten men in many ways, or you dump them.

As for Smith rating him, it was never that obvious (and even so it has been a while since Smith's good opinion has been seen as a positive) he certainly didn't get a serious run in the side. I think it more likely that he was simply the one who was finding out that Rubins wasn't up for the fight. Like it or not Steve Kember was a Palace manager, even if only for two games. I bet if Rubins had started those games Kemeber would be a Palace manager who did rate him!

As for your assertion that Rubins will be playing at a higher level than Palace - you are almost certainly right. I don't believe that anybody is saying that Rubins is a poor player, just that he is a player who is not suited to the physical element of the English game. Given a little more time and space and a lower propensity to flattened by a frustrated defender he will do well. He showed he had the capability, but all too rarely at Palace. A player like that is, as Freddy Kurz has said, a luxury Palace cannot afford