PDA

View Full Version : Gareth Williams Goes On Loan

Dartford Lad
16-12-2002, 01:04 PM
Peter Johnson, the Leyton Orient Youth Development Officer, believes that Gareth Williams is on a shortlist of 3 Forwards that Orient would be interested in bringing in on-loan.

He thinks they are looking at a one-month deal, not longer, with the reason being that they have just loaned out Watts and Fletcher and have some room to manouvere with regards to wages.

He did mention though, that it was dependent on Akinbiyi returning to action and Black's recent return to form.
He also said that a couple of months ago, Black was a player they were interested in.

This is obviously speculation at the moment but it appears that they could be trying to broker a deal, so I thought it would be worth putting on here, as it seems quite feasible.

Benzhiyi
16-12-2002, 01:08 PM
Think it'd be a great move for all parties.

Gareth would get some invaluable first team experience at a lower level, and a one month deal would suit both us and Orient.

Dave
16-12-2002, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Benzhiyi
Think it'd be a great move for all parties.

Gareth would get some invaluable first team experience at a lower level, and a one month deal would suit both us and Orient.

I concur

palace_crystal
16-12-2002, 03:14 PM
Gareth definetely needs some first team football, but i doubt he'll really get to shine in division 3. The style of play there doesn't really suit him netherless the experience will help him develop

my $0.02

Geezer
16-12-2002, 03:23 PM
I think he could do well there, build up his confidenence and get him used to first team football.

Gooders
16-12-2002, 05:54 PM
On the other hand, he might just get lumps kicked out of him by 3rd division defenders? :(

pete eagle
16-12-2002, 05:56 PM
he's classier than that, i can see him knocking a few in

Beanie
17-12-2002, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Gooders
On the other hand, he might just get lumps kicked out of him by 3rd division defenders? :(

He seems to avoid getting lumps kicked out of him in the reserves, and that is probably more, shall we say, agricultural than Div 3.

Clapham Grand
17-12-2002, 01:27 PM
Defoe's loan at Bornemouth when they were in Div 2 didn't do him any harm

Lion
17-12-2002, 01:35 PM
Give him a 1st team appearence tonight and see how he get's on starting against a Div 1 team.

I can see him scoring at least one tonight if he starts...

A loan would do him no harm what so ever.

biggus mickus
17-12-2002, 01:38 PM
A one month deal would be a good move. He looks like a player for the future, and any extra experience would be good.

grovesy77
17-12-2002, 01:52 PM
I think i'd prefer to see him getting 10-20 mins at the end of each game.
The problem with loaning out youth players is that they often end up playing loads of games, instead of building up match fitness and confidence.

Beanie
17-12-2002, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by grovesy77
I think i'd prefer to see him getting 10-20 mins at the end of each game.
The problem with loaning out youth players is that they often end up playing loads of games, instead of building up match fitness and confidence.

How do you get match fit if not by playing matches? How do you get confidence except by playing and beating people? I agree you can over play young players, but Gareth isn't that young now (20?) and there is nothing like matches for building both fitness and confidence. The example of Defoe above seems very relevant.

nookiebear
17-12-2002, 03:55 PM
I too can see Williams scoring tonight if he starts

But a loan wouldn't be a bad thing for the lad when Freedman, Akinbiyi and Adebola are back and fit.

grovesy77
17-12-2002, 03:56 PM
I actually though gareth was a bit younger than that?
The 10-20 mins football would be played in the first team, this will be on top of the resrve team games which he already plays.

I do see the benefit of the loan but i also think a bit of coaching and career management by the club could be invaluable.

c_block_lad
17-12-2002, 06:50 PM
Good move, gives Williams first team football and helps palace cut down on the wage bill.

palacefan_72
17-12-2002, 07:33 PM
yeah but as long as Francis doesn't so what he did with kabba. Let him go on loan bring him back and hes scored a few goals then he comes back and gets sold.

Mad Raschic Ken
18-12-2002, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by palacefan_72
yeah but as long as Francis doesn't so what he did with kabba. Let him go on loan bring him back and hes scored a few goals then he comes back and gets sold.

Francis has stated that he rates Williams highly and has recommended to Simon Jordan that he is signed up on a long contract. If we can get some forwards back fit then I would like to see him go out on loan. Not at the moment though - I reckon that he is currently the only fully fit forward.

Beanie
18-12-2002, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by palacefan_72

Kabba had no future at Palace, he'd been around for some time and hadn't convinced any of the managers he was worth a serious run in the team. Doesn't make him a poor player, just not the player Palace needed. Williams on the other hand seesm to fit the bill. He is probably also a better player than Kabba, and with his international experience will probably develop still further.

Latvian
18-12-2002, 07:16 PM
Sound good to me with AA and DF on there way back...

moi
29-12-2002, 10:41 AM
What harm can it do? As long as trevor doesnt sell him afterwards! He needs the experiance of playing in every game.

LLCOOLSTEVE
23-01-2003, 01:17 PM
On the old local sport thingy on BBC1 teletext (ceefax?!) it says Gareth Williams could be joining Colchester Utd on loan......

Bartman
23-01-2003, 01:28 PM
I don't care what anyone says - I want him in the first team.

Perhaps we should play with 5 up front?

What?
23-01-2003, 01:29 PM
Nice, good move. How are Colchester doing?

Clapham Grand
23-01-2003, 01:40 PM
Absolutley the right thing for him to do. Colchester are above the relegation zone on goal difference (Div 2)

Skin Up
23-01-2003, 02:01 PM
Poor sod I've got a few mates in Colchester and the nightlife is terrible.

Oh well its experience for him, good move.

ozeagle
23-01-2003, 02:06 PM
loan the kid out, and watch him score !!

MAFL
23-01-2003, 02:20 PM
From the official site of colchester

U's Sign Striker On Loan

U’s boss Steve Whitton has had some success in the transfer market
ahead of the weekend game, landing a Welsh striker on loan from Crystal Palace.

Young forward Gareth Williams is due to put pen to paper on a
month’s loan move on Friday, in time to feature against Blackpool at
Layer Road on Saturday.

Whitts admitted he had been tracking the forward for some time and –
with Dougie Freedman being the first team striker that came through
Wednesday’s reserve team game unscathed – Palace have let Williams
join the U’s.

Steve told the official website: “He is a goalscorer, a very
intelligent player, and I think he will be an asset to the squad.
He’s not a massive lad, about 5ft 10in tall, but a very good
footballer with good technique and is very good at finishing.
"He played against our reserves for Crystal Palace’s reserve side a
couple of months ago and we have been watching him ever since. For
one reason or another, he has not been available because of injuries
to their main strikers, Akinbiyi, Freedman, Johnson, but now they
are all okay we can have him on loan. It will be a month’s loan
initially and if he does well we will look to extend it."

20-year-old Williams featured in Palace’s reserve team game against
Barnet on Wednesday, a game in which the U’s coaching staff
travelled down to North London to watch with interest.

According to the Palace official website, it appears it was that
display that clinched his move to Layer Road.

The report on the game said ‘a special mention must go to Gareth
Williams for a fine display’ and ‘Williams was dropped to a position
just behind the front two to accommodate Freedman and this meant he
was buzzing around the penalty area a lot, playing mainly in front
of the midfield.’

He appears to boast a good goalscoring record, scoring 16 in the
reserves so far this season. These have come in multiples, hitting
two goals in a match twice, two hat-tricks and four on one occasion.
There was also good news regarding Liam Chilvers, with the U's boss
telling the official website: "Liam Chilvers registration has come
through now. He will be playing this morning in the reserves and
hopefully he will be involved in the squad on Saturday as well."

Gooders
23-01-2003, 02:35 PM
Good move - competetive match practice. :p

BVB Bob
23-01-2003, 02:42 PM
Oh nooooo. Alan Russell's been quoted on the U's official site. We'll never hear the end of this.:sob: ;)

arussell
23-01-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by LLCOOLSTEVE
On the old local sport thingy on BBC1 teletext (ceefax?!) it says Gareth Williams could be joining Colchester Utd on loan......

Ah - that explains the three of their staff (with a video camera) in the row behind me yesterday. I thought they were there scouting someone.

arussell
23-01-2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by BVB Bob
Oh nooooo. Alan Russell's been quoted on the U's official site. We'll never hear the end of this.:sob: ;)

Sorry, what was that last bit .....

And the Met Police nicked my writing's for their Surrey cup programme as well ;)

freekickuk
23-01-2003, 03:22 PM
hes gone to colchester on a months loan

full story (http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/030123/21/dmj79.html)

arussell
23-01-2003, 03:23 PM
I can understand the reasoning behind this - but I still think he should stay with us.

Personally I believe he should be in the side ahead of Adebola or Akinbiyi, and always looks more dangerous than either, but what do I know :D

Sick Bucket
23-01-2003, 03:25 PM
Good move.

Thanet Eagle
23-01-2003, 03:26 PM
I'm sure this will prove a good move for Williams in the long run.He looks a very good talent and this will all be good experience for the lad.

wedgetail
23-01-2003, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by arussell
I
Personally I believe he should be in the side ahead of Adebola or Akinbiyi, and always looks more dangerous than either, but what do I know :D
and Johnson

Walrus
23-01-2003, 04:35 PM
I hope this 1 month deal turns into 2 or 3. More first team games for Gareth means we get a (hopefully) better player back when the loan is finished. Not that he's too shabby now that is.

Anyone have any U's supporting mates who can keep us updated with his progress ?

Beanie
23-01-2003, 04:41 PM
Good move I think. Better level of games, more competitive and more regular. Any striking problems he can always be called back if needed. Sure that he will come back a better player.

Cleon
23-01-2003, 04:43 PM
As long as it isn't the precursor to seeing him leave Kabba style after scoring buckets for Colchester, then a loan deal probably isn't too bad a thing. Division Two is preferable experience to the more physical challenge of Division Three.

freekickuk
23-01-2003, 04:49 PM
colchester web site

link to offical site (http://www.cu-fc.premiumtv.co.uk/today/view/breaking_news_detail/0,,10424~332429,00.html?ptvParm=)

Clapham Grand
23-01-2003, 05:10 PM
Great move for all concerned. Didn't do Defoe any harm did it?

mikestock
23-01-2003, 05:19 PM
with adebola, ade, aJ and dougie all fit or nearly fit this sounds a good move.

gets him experience and hopefully saves us some of his wages.

agree that i would be disappointed if this is naything other than a chance to get experience.

Beanie
24-01-2003, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by Cleon
As long as it isn't the precursor to seeing him leave Kabba style after scoring buckets for Colchester, then a loan deal probably isn't too bad a thing.

There is a big difference between Williams and Kabba - Williams is much better. Kabba was 5th/6th striker and dropping down the list, Williams is in the same position at present, but rising. This should be good for him and Palace.

Men At Work
24-01-2003, 08:57 AM

Hang on, Ray Houghton wants a word...

arussell
24-01-2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Men At Work
Hang on, Ray Houghton wants a word...

:D

Whenever my old buddy's ready ........

Cleon
24-01-2003, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Beanie
There is a big difference between Williams and Kabba - Williams is much better. Kabba was 5th/6th striker and dropping down the list, Williams is in the same position at present, but rising. This should be good for him and Palace.

Well, if Kabba was worse than Williams, and I bow to your judgement if true, then surely Williams should be in our first team. After all, Kabba is cutting it rather nicely in a team currently destined for the Premiership.

Gark Moldberg
24-01-2003, 11:02 AM
Much as I don't have the time, I might have to wander across town to Layer Road tomorrow.

I fear that I might spend far too many Saturdays there. Especially as when we're away, they're at home.

Beanie
24-01-2003, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Cleon
Well, if Kabba was worse than Williams, and I bow to your judgement if true, then surely Williams should be in our first team. After all, Kabba is cutting it rather nicely in a team currently destined for the Premiership.

So is Robert Page, but I wouldn't want him in the Palace team ahead of Popovic, Symons or Powell. The fact that a player does well at a club does not mean he suits all clubs. There are players in Premiership sides I wouldn't change Palace's team for. It's Sheffield United who are doing the job, not just Steve Kabba.

sydnsteve
24-01-2003, 11:24 AM
I have been unimpressed with AA so far, and agree with arussell that Willimas should be on the bench before him. I don't agree about Adebola, however. Having been a critic, I am impreseed with his muscle, workrate, and ability to take several defenders out of a game. I think he could play well with Williams.
It is a problem, as we do have rather a lot of strikers, but you have to keep your best, which is why Kabba should have stayed. If anyone should go I think it ought to be AA, but I hope he proves me wrong.

Freddy Kurz
24-01-2003, 01:33 PM
Gareth should benefit greatly from his loan period at Colchester. His abilities and strengths as a player will be stretched far more in Division Two than in the much less demanding Combination in which our reserves have to compete. With Akinbiyi still not restored to peak fitness and Freedman on his way back after his operation, the arrangement will allow both these players to gradually ease themselves back to match sharpness with the Reserves. Palace's past experience, with John Salako, Richard Shaw and latterly Steve Kabba has shown that high calibre youngsters when sent out on loan can often make a big leap in their physical and mental development and return with their confidence and skill levels greatly enhanced. Few would surely argue that Cole(Arsenal) and Forssell(Chelsea) did not become better and more mature players from their loan periods at a struggling Crystal Palace?

arussell
24-01-2003, 02:52 PM
Colchester have confirmed that Gareth is in their starting 11 tomorrow.

boxing francis
26-01-2003, 02:48 PM
When we loaned out Kabba we were all saying how playing for grimsby will improve the lad and he will come back as an improved goalscorer for the future and then he moved on to sheff utd, does this mean goodbye gareth? :sob:

Freddy Kurz
27-01-2003, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by boxing francis
When we loaned out Kabba we were all saying how playing for grimsby will improve the lad and he will come back as an improved goalscorer for the future and then he moved on to sheff utd, does this mean goodbye gareth? :sob:

Kabba wanted the chance to prove himself. He did just that at Grimsby and attracted the interest of Sheffield United. Our manager/coaching staff knew precisely what he was capable of and in their judgement he did not fit in with the current requirements of our first team squad. Some players fit in, some don't, only the manager/coaches know about these things.(as we all know they can also make mistakes!) But their main concern is building and developing a team and creating a strong team-spirit, which they appear to have done with the present squad. In the case of Williams, who many good judges believe is potentially a better prospect than Kabba, he was unlikely to develop to first team sharpness playing in the lower-level Combination matches we compete in. With Freedman and Akinbiyi still needing games to help restore their match fitness after their surgery, it was probably felt they could best achieve this in Reserve games, freeing Williams to go on loan to Colchester. (The alternative could have left him sitting on the Reserve bench). The current solution helps Palace all round, because(through injuries or suspensions) we may well need all of these three strikers fit and in top form for the promotion battle ahead. If Williams shows he can score goals in the Second Division he will make an excellent case for gaining a regular place in our First-team squad.

Latvian
27-01-2003, 11:53 AM
Colchester have confirmed that Gareth is in their starting 11 tomorrow.

How'd he get on?

ElwissAtMemphis
27-01-2003, 01:05 PM
They lost 0-2 at home to Blackpool. Williams played the full 90 mins.

Gark Moldberg
27-01-2003, 05:26 PM
I didn't make it but judging be their rivals site, they weren't overly impressed. I get the impression that he didn't actually get to see the ball much.

They weren't too complementary about a gentleman called Bobby Bowry either.

arussell
28-01-2003, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by Gark Moldberg
I didn't make it but judging be their rivals site, they weren't overly impressed. I get the impression that he didn't actually get to see the ball much.

Just a thought here.

Perhaps if they played the ball at his FEET, so he could run at defenders and get shots in on goal, doing what he does best - then perhaps he'd be more effective and might even come into the game a bit :rolleyes:

Ruskin Old Boy
28-01-2003, 08:10 AM
Report in their local newspaper suggests that he didn't have a chance to shine in another luck lustre performance from the rest of the team.

Freddy Kurz
28-01-2003, 11:43 AM
Just a thought here.

Perhaps if they played the ball at his FEET, so he could run at defenders and get shots in on goal, doing what he does best - then perhaps he'd be more effective and might even come into the game a bit :rolleyes:

Agreed! He is best played in with the ball to feet, to allow him to get one-on-one with the opposing 'keeper. Hopefully, Colchester's coaches can also get him to work on strengthening other aspects of his game, including heading.

freekickuk
28-01-2003, 11:54 PM
williams in blue

link to picture (http://www.cu-fc.premiumtv.co.uk/today/view/breaking_news_detail/0,,10424~334934,00.html)

Freddy Kurz
29-01-2003, 09:38 AM
Good to hear (on another thread) that Gareth Williams has been called up by the Welsh U21's to play v Korea on February 11th. Could be his loan period at Colchester came at just the right time!

kit82
29-01-2003, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Freddy Kurz
Good to hear (on another thread) that Gareth Williams has been called up by the Welsh U21's to play v Korea on February 11th. Could be his loan period at Colchester came at just the right time!

I think Gareth has been called up a couple of times for U21's while still at the Palace, hasnt yet made an impression though, just a matter of time :p :D

Beanie
29-01-2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by kit82
I think Gareth has been called up a couple of times for U21's while still at the Palace, hasnt yet made an impression though, just a matter of time :p :D

Garteh has been a U21 regular for a couple of years, and done pretty well by all accounts. It would have been a surprise if he hadn't been in the squad for this game.

Clapham Grand
29-01-2003, 01:31 PM
He's also scored for the U-21s

Elephant with mouse gyp
29-01-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Gark Moldberg
They weren't too complementary about a gentleman called Bobby Bowry either.

Aww, I used to love Bobby Bowry. His spindly legs, his bravery, his undoubted skill, that chant... in a different and better world he would have been a star.

Feather
29-01-2003, 05:38 PM
WHITTON LEAVES UNITED
Colchester manager Steve Whitton has left the club by mutual
consent after three and a half years in charge at Layer Road.
The Essex side are struggling in the Second Division relegation
zone and are without a win in seven matches.
Assistant manager Geraint Williams has been appointed acting
manager and will take charge for Saturday's trip to Stockport.
The board issued a statement saying results had been
``disappointing'' over the last 12 months and that gates were
``drifting'' because of that.
The statement, on club website www.cu-fc.co.uk, read: ``The board
are appreciative for all the hard work and the effort that Steve has
put in as manager. We thank him for his services and wish him well
for the future.
``We have a duty to the supporters of Colchester United to make
tough decisions at a business level for the long-term good of the
club.''

arussell
30-01-2003, 12:24 AM
And by co-incidence - Gareth was back at Beckenham today in his training gear as he watched the reserves win 1-0.

Freddy Kurz
09-02-2003, 08:19 PM
And by co-incidence - Gareth was back at Beckenham today in his training gear as he watched the reserves win 1-0.

Noticed he was on the subs bench for Colchester (with Bobby Bowry)who won at Bristol City on Saturday 2-1. Not sure if he got on. He has still to score his first goal for them.

arussell
09-02-2003, 11:35 PM
To date he has only started once for them, and come off the bench once (last Saturday) due to a thigh injury.

It;s a waste of time him being there - with Dougie suspended next week - bring him home Palace .....

Clapham Grand
10-02-2003, 01:53 PM
Have to agree with that Alan

Gark Moldberg
25-02-2003, 11:23 AM
He scored at the weekend and they seem sufficiently keen on him to take him for a nother month. The following was posted on the 21st on coluonline.com

"Lest we forget him entirely a brief 'well done and thanks' to Whitts for having brought in in Liam Chilvers and Gareth Williams - both very good players and I'm pleased to read they've both just signed for another month. A permanent move here for either would be tops."

Seems odd as they're going to announce the new manager at midday. Any confirmation from Palace about the continured loan?

ozeagle
25-02-2003, 11:36 AM
saw his goal last night, put it in the top corner nicely, but did have an eternity to do so...
we need the kid on, NOW !

Gark Moldberg
20-03-2003, 01:45 PM
So, another month's loan will be up after the game against Barnsley. With Palace finishing the game on Wednesday with a(n unfit) striker and a midfielder up front, will Williams be brought back or will he be allowed to stay for another month?