PDA

View Full Version : So Julian, do you really want to stay?

dannyturner
17-12-2002, 02:46 PM
Quote from Julian Gray, Evening Standard I think:

"I would like to be in the Premiership-next season with Palace. The
club want to speak to me about a new deal but I want to concentrate
on playing. I want to set the record straight and be the best I
can.

If the club want to speak to you, and you want to stay, then sign the friggin paperwork and then concentrate on playing. If not, then clear off to Clowntown and let's have the reddies.

pete eagle
17-12-2002, 02:48 PM
Sounds like he is waiting until the summer to see what offers he can get before deciding on Palace.
Although it is only part of a quote.

ozeagle
17-12-2002, 02:57 PM
if he waits til the summer, the only offers he'll get are from Yeovil or Chester...
:eek:

pete eagle
17-12-2002, 02:58 PM
although to be fair, he will want to negotiate a bit with Jordan so that would probably distract him from playing

Batsta
17-12-2002, 03:01 PM
If I were Julian Gray I would hold out for the summer, if nothing came, then sign for Palace. The fans wouldn't like it, but see it from his side.

917L
17-12-2002, 03:21 PM
SJ, sell him now(or Jan anyway), by the close season other clubs might realise he's not as good as he thinks he is!

AJ
17-12-2002, 04:05 PM
If I were Gray, I would start putting in 100% effort, tackle and generally look a million+ pound player:p

Beanie
17-12-2002, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by pete eagle
although to be fair, he will want to negotiate a bit with Jordan so that would probably distract him from playing

Correction - his AGENT will negotiate with Jordan, and give Gray a call every couple of days and ask what he thinks of the latest offer. Agent has to do something for his cut.

ozeagle
17-12-2002, 04:41 PM
negotiate ?
negotiate what ?
seriously, this bloke for all his raw talent needs a good kick in the pants, he won't last 5 mins at Charlton.
;)

dannyturner
17-12-2002, 05:25 PM
That's right, a kick up the pants. I am beginning to lose patience with him. He reminds me of my teenage daughter who expects evrything handed to her on a plte all the time.

Julian, have a look at what a bit of hard work and dedication has done for your mate Tommy.

PalaceFan in Alabama
17-12-2002, 05:41 PM
He thinks he is so good he just has to turn up, a little effort would go a long way and I do not mean a tackle or two every other game. A week spent understanding what is meant by a cross into the box, so that OUR players have a chance of getting on it :veryangry

If we can get a 1M for him sell him, now mind you I believed Black to be very similar, but my sons tell me he has come on in leaps and bounds over the past month or so, so whatever Black is eating, drinking or whatever give some to Julian TODAY :hmph:

pete eagle
17-12-2002, 06:01 PM
i would say that if one thing has improved about his game this season then it is definitely his crossing, his crosses are now far better both on his left and right foot and far more dangerous and overall more consistent. Akinbyi must be relishing service from gray and Granville when he gets back.

However gray needs to improve his passing and intraplay with those around him as well as his positioning. His tackling has come on as well in my view, he bottles out of far less challenges than he used to. However his heading is still woeful for a lad of his height

muffdaddy
17-12-2002, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by ozeagle
seriously, this bloke for all his raw talent needs a good kick in the pants, he won't last 5 mins at Charlton.
;)
Agreed. If Morrison can't cut it in the Prem, Gray has absolutely no chance. Not at the moment at least. At least being on the bench gave Gray the impetus to try and take on players when he came on against Norwich. He even used his right foot to good effect when he came on.

This season, he's constantly failed to live up to expectations when he starts a match. Maybe he's still not match fit. Maybe he thinks he's all that and a bag of chips. Maybe realising there is competition for places might just have the required effect on him. Who knows ? With Tommy playing so well and the emergence of super Wayne, it might just give Gray that kick in the pants.

c_block_lad
17-12-2002, 06:48 PM
If Gray wants to carry on bottling it he can f**k off as far as I care.

It wasn't me!
18-12-2002, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by PalaceFan in Alabama

so whatever Black is eating, drinking or whatever give some to Julian TODAY :hmph:

So Tommy is playing well for the club hey?! That's new. I thought Tommy was turning it on for himself that's all, he hasn't played much this season and has to put in 100% every opportunity in order for someone to come in for him.

It wasn't me!
18-12-2002, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by c_block_lad
If Gray wants to carry on bottling it he can f**k off as far as I care.

and who gives a f**k what you care?!

Scoot
18-12-2002, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by It wasn't me!
So Tommy is playing well for the club hey?! That's new. I thought Tommy was turning it on for himself that's all, he hasn't played much this season and has to put in 100% every opportunity in order for someone to come in for him.

You could say the same for Beckham and Owen pal.
Owen plays for himself to get picked for England and pick up his 40k a week (or whatever it is!). Beckham plays for himself to win medals and earn a frigging fortune.
If you are a true professional, pride will make you try your best.. full stop.
If not then Asaba would have missed his shot last night being that he's a Palace boy through and through.

Latvian
18-12-2002, 07:17 PM
Just f**k off and try and find a premiership club Gray, please!

(Bring back Rubins :P )

Mal Come Ally Son
19-12-2002, 05:04 PM
I've been charitable over the last few weeks and posted nothing derogatory about JG. Nor will I now. But if he thinks he's a Premiership player then he'll be facing disappointment soon.

Now, a word for "It wasn't me" who asked C Block Lad who cares what he thinks. Actually, I'm interested in what he thinks. And in what everyone else thinks. That's why I come on here, and I suspect that's the reason why most posters come on here. PS - I still do think that you're JG's mum.

dannyturner
20-12-2002, 07:31 AM
To anyone who made the journey to Sheffield (respect). How was JG on th night?

Martin H
20-12-2002, 10:57 AM
'I was there'

For me Gray's performance summed him up completely. For 60-70 minutes he was disappointing at best. He looked disinterested, lazy and timid. Chatting to Antwi and slumping back and forwards. Tackling was poor etc.

Then in the last 20 minutes he was spinning around and leaving defenders behind with some pace. More importantly running at them. Got in a few excellent crosses and suddenly looked like a fine prospect.

Really peculiar was the difference in attitude.

I would add I was impressed with Borrowdale (that's right isn't it) the young left back. He looked the part form the moment he came on. Didn't dominate the game or anything but we immediately looked safer on the left at the back. I hope he continues to develop.

Gark Moldberg
20-12-2002, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by It wasn't me!

Maybe he is turning it on for himself, maybe he wants to get a new contract for himself. They will get a new, maybe slightly improved (if they are lucky) contract at this or another club if they try. Not trying will mean that both Julian and Thomas find themselves out of work at the end of the season. One of them seems to have worked out that effort equals reward.

pete eagle
21-12-2002, 12:00 PM
I don't think Julian enjoys being played as a left wing back, but he should still do his best there

DeleFan
21-12-2002, 12:05 PM
He can be a great player but i cant see him getting any offers from Premiership clubs next season.

pedro
21-12-2002, 12:28 PM
Let's be honest, he is not going to be a regular in the side if we stick with our best formation, which most agree is 3-5-2. He has an over inflated ego which has been unjustly caressed many a time by certain Palace fans and I have no doubt if he and his advisors ever got round the table with SJ the wage demands would be so ridiculous the meeting will be over before it has started. Therefore do not be surprised to see a Christmas departure from Selhurst by Mr Gray and me, for one, will be ecstatic. You can have all the 'potential' in the world but if you don't want to play for Palace, and let's face it his recent performances have made that perfectly clear, then the sooner he f**ks off the better as far as I am concerned. :hi: :hi: :hi:

local lad
23-12-2002, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by pedro
Let's be honest, he is not going to be a regular in the side if we stick with our best formation, which most agree is 3-5-2. He has an over inflated ego which has been unjustly caressed many a time by certain Palace fans and I have no doubt if he and his advisors ever got round the table with SJ the wage demands would be so ridiculous the meeting will be over before it has started. Therefore do not be surprised to see a Christmas departure from Selhurst by Mr Gray and me, for one, will be ecstatic. You can have all the 'potential' in the world but if you don't want to play for Palace, and let's face it his recent performances have made that perfectly clear, then the sooner he f**ks off the better as far as I am concerned. :hi: :hi: :hi:

Ok. 1) Formation: 352. It works sometimes but our 343 seems to work better and our results and performances with the 343 would suggest the same.

2) Overly inflated ego: Does he? I don't know him personally, but obviously you do to be in a position to make such a statement.

3) Who knows what Grayis on at the moment? Who knows what is on offer? Who knows what he will ask for? Isn't it a matter for Mr Jordan to bring to Gray and his advisors; not the other way round. As far as I am aware discussions haven't taken place.

4) Tommy Black who is playing very well at present and realizing some of his 'potential' has had a similar spell of inconsistency, which in all honesty all our players have had at one stage or the other. No-one gets on his back yet despite his bright start to his Palace career, he has had 18 months of under-acheiving; until recently.

5) Granville, Derry and even in some cases even Freedman have looked at some stage di-illusioned and is if they weren't giving 100% to the club. Does that mean they no longer want to play for Palace?

6) Finally, who are you going to replace Gray with? Any ideas?

Bertrand
23-12-2002, 02:42 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Latvian
[B]Just f**k off and try and find a premiership club Gray, please!

How mature of you ! If only we had more supporters like you :rolleyes:

Bertrand
23-12-2002, 02:48 PM
In fact, while I think of it if somebody could compile a list of all the posters who have admitted to booing our own players and swearing at them. That would be really useful - Latvian is 1st on the list.

local lad
23-12-2002, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Bertrand
In fact, while I think of it if somebody could compile a list of all the posters who have admitted to booing our own players and swearing at them. That would be really useful - Latvian is 1st on the list.

Booers and swears: I suggest a new resolution for 2003: Get behind the team and off their backs. The team is the most balanced, settled and of a quality than we have had for many years. COME ON YOU PALACE!

Latvian
24-12-2002, 04:46 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Latvian
[B]Just f**k off and try and find a premiership club Gray, please!

How mature of you ! If only we had more supporters like you :rolleyes:

Cheers thought it summed it up nicely.

Merry Christmas :rolleyes:

Latvian
24-12-2002, 05:56 PM

Listen Ive stuck behind Francis and Adebola through all that *****. Im always supporting the team at bowt 90% + games a season and am one of the most positive people toward Palace you'll meet.

However Julian Gray seems to be on another planet half the time, I dont think hes good enough for us let alone a Premiership club. This site wouldnt have much debate if we didnt question the ability and attitude of our team, players, staff and fans.

In short: Oxo

As a Librarian who enjoys creating a list how about a thread for all those who try to divert the thread topic or keyboard warriors? Or sad c...s maybe that way someone may talk even care about you?

moi
29-12-2002, 10:34 AM
JG could be a superb player for Palace but he needs to change his attitude. Look at Tommy at the start of the season, he had an attitude problem but Trevor sorted him out by not playing him, then when he came back he was on fire. Maybe the same treatment should be given to Julian Gray?

Gooders
29-12-2002, 10:42 AM
I have been critical of Gray in the past but he played well yesterday - especially in the first half when he seemed to have a mandate to roam.

Ben H
29-12-2002, 10:49 AM
I doubt SJ will want to start negotiations with anyone until he knows which division we will be playing in next season.

Beanie
30-12-2002, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Ben H
I doubt SJ will want to start negotiations with anyone until he knows which division we will be playing in next season.

Whilst I understsnd where you are coming from, and I agree. I doubt he can wait quite that long. We might not know until 26th May, only 5 days before they become free agents. I think he should negotiate TWO deals - a Premiership one and a Division 1 one, or one deal with two rates of pay in it. Don't know how that would go down though.

Gooders
30-12-2002, 11:15 AM
All player contracts are going to have to have clauses in them in future that safeguard clubs upon relegation (or lack of promotion).

SJ can make a start now.

GreatGonzo
30-12-2002, 11:34 AM
Not only do i think negotiations on the contracts of player expiring this summer should have already started they should be almost at completion now.

My view is quite simply we can only sell them to premiership clubs in January, after that they become free agents. If they are not willing to commit themselves now then let them go. They want to play in the premiership? Make them prove it, if they all play to their potential between now and end of May we WILL be in the premiership!

Negotiate the 2 rates, one for 1st Division and one for the premiership and give them a financial incentive to take us up. If every player was told they would have a 50% pay rise upon promotion you would see blood sweat and tears every game. WHilst this is not practical it is the type of mentality that the manager and chairman need to instill in every player at the club!

mikestock
07-02-2003, 12:19 PM
has anyone else read the story form the independent saying gray has turned down 4k a week. realistically can we afford to pay him more than 200k a year.

Looks like he will be on his way

Sir.S.C Remembered
07-02-2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Batsta
If I were Julian Gray I would hold out for the summer, if nothing came, then sign for Palace. The fans wouldn't like it, but see it from his side.

Too True but he could put in more effort more consistantly until the summer!

Jimbo ?
07-02-2003, 01:25 PM
but then if he does go - jordan is going to hear about it from the fans! I would try and have all these contracts sorted out as soon as possible - we cant afford to let players just walk off (even if we do get a fee for them)

Clapham Grand
07-02-2003, 01:45 PM
Surely 4k a week in this present climate is a good offer

markholmes1991
07-02-2003, 01:49 PM
Despite his heroics on Wednesday the sooner the bloke leaves the club the better. I have no time for this individual

Gark Moldberg
07-02-2003, 01:56 PM
Can we really know whether an offer of 208k p.a. is worth accepting without knowing what he is currently earning.

Anyone know what his current contract is worth?

Perhaps it's not the money. Perhaps it's the image rights ;)

Beanie
07-02-2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Gark Moldberg
Can we really know whether an offer of 208k p.a. is worth accepting without knowing what he is currently earning.

Anyone know what his current contract is worth?

Perhaps it's not the money. Perhaps it's the image rights ;)

I'd say yes, we can. His current contract was agreed when the financial circumstances were very different. The only thing that matters really is what is possible now. If that is either the best Palace can do or the most they think he is worth in todays environment and within the overall pay structure than that is the offer. If he feels he can do better elsewhere in todays environment then he is welcome to try. Its a free market for jobs in football, just as it is for anybody else.

firesign
07-02-2003, 02:32 PM
SJ is on record as saying the average wage at Palace is 297,000 pa and that he wants to get this down to 200,000 (and said the average wage in Div 1 is currently 175,000 pa).

An offer of 4k a week to JG suits SJs plan and in the current climate is IMO a pretty good deal for a talented, but inconsistent, player.

GreatGonzo
07-02-2003, 02:46 PM
We should be saying to him, this is the offer it is on the table till the end of february, sign or his deal is no longer available. if he then goes off and tries to find a new club but no-one will sign him on more than 4k then he will come back. However then we should turn round and say that offer expired we are now offering 3k or 3.5k sign it or leave.

Big Bruv
07-02-2003, 02:49 PM
Before I say anything I am a huge admirer of Julian's. Four months ago I would say he was our best player. Now it's Hayden Mullins (600k? You're aving a larf Brucie!). But I have sensed recently that Julian has been pulling out of a few tackles - though, crucially, not when confronted by Sami Hyppia! I am a bit concerned therefore that if his recent level of performance can translate into rave reviews in the papers he won't go back to the way he was playing before. I'll be interested to see how he plays against Forest tomorrow.

pete eagle
07-02-2003, 06:57 PM
I think that while we should not go all out to keep him

A little bit of negotiation is required here, he is talented and has the potential to be a top class player. To just let him go would be foolish

Trilby
07-02-2003, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by markholmes1991
Despite his heroics on Wednesday the sooner the bloke leaves the club the better. I have no time for this individual Well said. Nice bird by the way;)

BaldEagle96
07-02-2003, 08:23 PM
On his day he is brilliant - but we all know that he does not have many "on his days"... If we need to get the wages bill down then Julian may well have to go - especially if he continues in his current form of only really trying every now and then...

ozeagle
07-02-2003, 08:39 PM
pete eagle, continuing to speak common sense,
that trip in the car with 3 well rounded gents really has had an effect on you,
negotiate to keep him, he's the bollox !

Beanie
08-02-2003, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by pete eagle
I think that while we should not go all out to keep him

A little bit of negotiation is required here, he is talented and has the potential to be a top class player. To just let him go would be foolish

Lot of truth in this - but if he still only has potential (and at 23 that is becoming worrying) then surely he should be paid as somebody with potential not the finished article. I wonder what Wayne Routledge is on - he has potential as well.

TAK
08-02-2003, 12:25 PM
The market has changed and a lot of player power has gone, Julian may get a suprise if he thinks a bigger club will snap him up for more money. There are going to be a lot of players on the market this summer of his standard and better and not so many offers as as second year without ITV money bites and clubs are able to trim their squads by letting out of contract players go.

You never know we may pick up a bargain or two.

The Vicar
08-02-2003, 02:40 PM
I'm a Julian fan, but didn't like the piece in the paper.

What remains to be seen is whether Julian is loyal to Palace in some ways (does he want to play for Palace, or does he want to leave?), or whether he is comfortable with the tactics of his agent, which appear to be pretty mercenary to me. While all agents are mercenary to some extent (it's their job), Julian's may be overplaying his hand in a way that doesn't necessarily help his client. Someone needs to give Julian some solid advice here -- I don't blame him for where things stand right now, he's still a young lad!

SKATE
08-02-2003, 02:49 PM
He said he wanted to stay in this weeks Croydon Advertiser.

MENTALLY TOUGH
09-02-2003, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by SKATE
He said he wanted to stay in this weeks Croydon Advertiser.

Is that what Thierry told him what to say??

toms rockin
09-02-2003, 07:54 PM
It appears to me in the important games where the big teams will be watching (or even playing them) he plays alot better than any other time. He doesn't on most occasions even go for the ball. However if he plays as well as he can in almost every game then i would love him to stay because last season he was one of the best players we had but now seems to lack comitment.