PDA

View Full Version : Who remembers the big debate we had over whether we should sign Beattie?

Al_from_Croydon
22-12-2002, 10:10 PM
I cant remember exactly when this was but the fact is he is now top scorer of the premiership and being touted for an england call up - any people who were against our bid for beattie prepared to own up?

Sir.S.C Remembered
22-12-2002, 10:58 PM
I'll own up. At the time I liked the idea as we were thin on forwards permanant ones anyway but not at the price that was being quoted (and raised each time we got back to them). I still do not rate him as a consistent goalscorer but he is playing very well

Skin Up
22-12-2002, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Al_from_Croydon
any people who were against our bid for beattie prepared to own up?

Glenn Hoddle was one, was never going to let him go. Well only for over the odds for Beatties stock at the time.

Neckinger Eagle
22-12-2002, 11:53 PM
I'll own up. I didn't particularly want him. He was a flash in the pan then, and he is now. If England call him up they might as well call up Neil Shipperley.

No actually, make that Tommy Black - top man, making me eat my words! :lux:

Steve in Phoenix
23-12-2002, 01:20 AM
I think I wanted him but not for that kind of money - does someone have the details?

Then when I heard about his attitude towards our bid, I was very glad we didnt.

Ben H
23-12-2002, 01:40 AM
I remember we really badly wanted to sign him but just lost out due to a lack of 'chistianity' from Glenn Hoddle. Well that's what SJ said at the time anyway.

Since then he can't stop scoring..

Gooders
23-12-2002, 07:20 AM
I thought he was a donkey.

He's not as bad as that, but a front-line international striker he ain't.

Palace
23-12-2002, 01:17 PM
I wanted him, but by the same token i wanted van Nistelrooy before he went to Man Utd. Just out of our reach. :bash:

Hard At Work
23-12-2002, 04:41 PM
I bet the lad was gutted that the move never materialised, just think he missed out on working with Alan Smith ( The most perfect coach in the world)

hong_kong_hg
23-12-2002, 04:52 PM
What's all this "we" business if you only signed up in Dec 2002?

Gark Moldberg
24-12-2002, 01:00 PM
If he had signed for Alan Smith he would have become the new Andy Preece ;)

What?
25-12-2002, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by Ben H

Since then he can't stop scoring..
Thats what the threat of signing for Palace can do for a player!

TARRING EAGLE
27-12-2002, 10:40 AM
My girlfriend is a Saints fan and has dragged me down to ST Mary's a couple of times, and one thing is obvious when watching them Beattie is a donkey!!! He may have scored 11 goals in 10 games or whatever it is, but he won't hit 20. 5 of his goals have been penalties and earlier on in the season when they were'nt scoring it was because everything was falling to Beattie and he was missing them all.
If i was Strachan and somebody offered say 3 million for him i'd take the money. in 10 games time he'll be dropped again for not scoring.