PDA

View Full Version : Paul Gascoigne

palace_crystal
23-12-2002, 01:26 PM
The questions are:

1. Should we/could we sign him?
2. Wages? could we afford him financially?
3. Would he be a good/bad signing?

Discuss please :)

in my opinion paul WOULD be a good signing, he would bring valuable experience to the club, and has played at the very top level, although he would probably demand fairly high wages, i believe he could contribute to getting this club a play-off place, although like all other possible signings the money isn't there???? but i would LOVE to see him at the club.

selhurst star
23-12-2002, 01:28 PM
Wot? Wot? wot are you talkin about? Sign that waste of space? whre did this come from? Total and utter Bo***x I hope.

local lad
23-12-2002, 01:30 PM
No way. Although an exceptionally talented player, he is well and truly past his sell by date and should do the decent thing and retire. He may have one or two good games in him, but he would not be worth the money he is on and may even un-settle the current crop of players who at last seem to be playing more consistently.

nookiebear
23-12-2002, 01:31 PM
no

winston the dog
23-12-2002, 01:32 PM
not that bothered one way or another, but i wouldnt mind that much

Justy C
23-12-2002, 01:32 PM
If he was any good still then he would have been snapped up elsewhere. You'd have media attention for 1 game only and then it would fade as I don't think he'd contribute very much to a team anymore.

So thats a no from me.

The whole Gascoigne story is very sad, such a talent and a real character but never fulfilling his potential.

Beanie
23-12-2002, 01:47 PM
Answers:

1 No / No
2 No
3 Bad - very bad

We are begining to see a real TEAM and some TEAM spirit. Gascoigne has never been a team player, he's an individual. The appearance of that once almost great prima donna would be the final piece in any jigsaw designed to keep us in Division 1 next season.

I agree with Justy C - it's a sad story of somebody who was never as great as he could have been, and it was all his own fault. He should keep out of football now, as I suspect that both he and the club he signed for would end up look very embarrased.

Gavin Axten
23-12-2002, 01:50 PM
Gascoigne is well past it now,Steve Stone is the player we should have tried to get.

Farnboro' Eagle
23-12-2002, 01:52 PM
10 years ago than maybe, but now.... no.

Selhurst300
23-12-2002, 01:58 PM
1. No
2. Irrelevant
3. Bad

YASSA the PALACETINIAN
23-12-2002, 02:13 PM
1 No
2 No
3 In comparison would have made the signing of Brolin seem
inspirational.

Geezer
23-12-2002, 02:19 PM
Lets face it, hes no Wayne Routledge is he?!!

Dave
23-12-2002, 02:25 PM
I'd hand back my season ticket if he signed

23-12-2002, 02:28 PM
Danny Baker & Scum Loving - Useless to us beyond belief.
Look at the damage he did to the team spirit at Burnley last season.

AddiscombeEagle
23-12-2002, 02:30 PM
Sorry, if Jordan said we could afford his wages, I would say it could be a worthwhile gamble.

Remember it was only this time last year, he was getting motm for Everton and some people were saying about England.

I am not saying we should go for it but I wouldn't be upset if we did.

Clapham Grand
23-12-2002, 02:32 PM
no
no
no

Mr C
23-12-2002, 02:39 PM
I agree with Bumgas look at what he did to Burnley last season. It worked for them with Wrighty but went badly wrong with Gascoigne.

He would haemorrhage money out of the club (that we don't necessarily have at this moment in time?)

He's bad news and way past his sell by date.

Al_from_Croydon
23-12-2002, 02:45 PM
Would some one kindly close this thread.

Will S
23-12-2002, 02:46 PM
With ten players due to return from injury we don't need a new signing, let alone a waste of rather large space like Gascoigne. I just hope Tommy Black maintains his form - much rather have him playing the way he is than sign someone else.

The Vicar
23-12-2002, 03:00 PM
nyet

Hard At Work
23-12-2002, 04:46 PM
One thing for sure, he would not have to put himself through all that fitness regime, he could have chosen to queue up at half time for a beloved burger at half time.
His weight would have dropped off just as quickly.

:clown:

hairy beasts
23-12-2002, 07:57 PM
Too much trouble off the field and too many injuries on it, he would draw a few curious 'fans'. He isn't a patch on the player he used to be and I would like to see him stop playing now so we can all remember the good times.

Thanet Eagle
23-12-2002, 08:02 PM
I thought it was Christmas not April Fools Day!Paul Gascoigne is all but finished as a player.Sad really to think he had the world at his feet after Italia 90.Might be okay for a non-league side.

palace_crystal
24-12-2002, 01:26 PM
well this thread wasn't mean't as a joke, and is a serious discussion on various supporters views on the pros/cons of signing a player. What about the possibility of a trial?

THB
24-12-2002, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Al_from_Croydon
Would some one kindly close this thread.

Why Al? Gascoigne has said he still thinks he can play in the top two divi sions and is currently sans club. Therefore i think this is a prefectly valid thread and in the correct forum. Sorry to wee on your chips but it annoys me when people say things like this just because they think they carry a bit of clout. Still Merry xmas and all.

pedro
24-12-2002, 04:10 PM
I must admit to there being a similar discussion prior to TF's appointment. There we all were chatting about who our next manager would be and if I remember right TF got about 1% in the choice's poll, and was dismissed by most as having no chance of being the next Palace manager and look what happened there. The moral of this story is never say never!! but please god, not this man, it is 5 yrs too late.

moverman
25-12-2002, 10:32 AM
On current form, who would be dropped to accomodate him?
He gives the ball away more than Aki but doesn't have his workrate. He can't tackle, go past a player, head a ball and would probably only last 20 minutes so it has to be a resounding No, No, No.
10 years ago, now that's a different story.

Psychokiller
25-12-2002, 10:50 AM
I hear that Geoff Hurst is available on a free. He's probably faster than Gascoigne is these days too.

TAK
26-12-2002, 05:36 AM
What about Best?

henryhallandhisbasque
26-12-2002, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by palace_crystal
well this thread wasn't mean't as a joke, and is a serious discussion on various supporters views on the pros/cons of signing a player. What about the possibility of a trial?

A trial would be a great idea, and at the conclusion of it, you should be dealt with under The Mental Health Act for even raising this subject, and then sentenced to serve a minimum of thirty years in Rampton.

O.M.G.
26-12-2002, 07:51 AM
NO NO NO

LOOK AT THE OTHER HAS BEENS WE HAVE SIGNED BEFORE AND WHAT DID THEY BRING US....HE'S A FREELOADER ...NOBODY ELSE HAS SIGNED HIM SO THEY ALL CANNOT BE WRONG......EXCEPT PALACE ?

TRY FORSELL THOUGH ???

Beanie
26-12-2002, 11:05 AM

What do the club not know about Gascoigne that they could find in a trial? He's a lazy player who could have been great, but blew it, and they know it was his fault. The only person who this hasn't got home would seem to be Gascoigne who seems to expect the star status he could have had if he'd actually earnt it. A good Italia 90 and a goal against Scotland six years later do NOT make a star. Setting aside any cost, there isn't a player at Palace I wouldn't prefer to see on the field ahead of Gascoigne - and that would include the lads at the Academy, or even Lance Cronin as an emergency midfielder - at least I could believe they care, even a little, about Palace and not just their next pay day.

Okay, now I'll get off the fence!!

palace_crystal
27-12-2002, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Beanie
What do the club not know about Gascoigne that they could find in a trial? He's a lazy player who could have been great, but blew it, and they know it was his fault. The only person who this hasn't got home would seem to be Gascoigne who seems to expect the star status he could have had if he'd actually earnt it. A good Italia 90 and a goal against Scotland six years later do NOT make a star. Setting aside any cost, there isn't a player at Palace I wouldn't prefer to see on the field ahead of Gascoigne - and that would include the lads at the Academy, or even Lance Cronin as an emergency midfielder - at least I could believe they care, even a little, about Palace and not just their next pay day.

Okay, now I'll get off the fence!!

he said if venables gave him a chance at leeds, he would not dissapoint him, all i'm saying is if he has been training and regained his fitness - i see no reason why he cannot be a success for us. Afterall he has proven to the world he has a fantastic ability - a trial would show us:

1. His fitness
2. His work-rate
3. How he mixes with the rest of the team.

GreatGonzo
27-12-2002, 10:52 AM
Palace_Crystal, forgive me but you were 6 when Gazza was at his best and the last time he was as inspirational as you suggest was 6 years later.

The guy was a phenominal talent and like too many who are suddenly thrust into the celebrity spotlight he went and wasted it away.

Oh and no thankyou.

palace_crystal
27-12-2002, 11:35 AM
and you were 11 when this happened GGonzo so what? age doesn't indicate judgement, your argument is flawed as your implying that my viewpoint is not valid because of my age.

Beanie
27-12-2002, 12:42 PM
he said if venables gave him a chance at leeds, he would not dissapoint him, all i'm saying is if he has been training and regained his fitness - i see no reason why he cannot be a success for us. Afterall he has proven to the world he has a fantastic ability - a trial would show us:

1. His fitness
2. His work-rate
3. How he mixes with the rest of the team.

HE SAID - all too true Gascoigne has ALWAYS talked a good game, but all to rarely backed it up.

Personally I think it is impossible for him to regain his fitness - as he never was truly fit player. He used to drift in and out of games, produce the spark that showed he COULD have been great, but blew it every time. The talk was still of his "potential" when that lunge in the FA Cup semi did more harm to him than the Arsenal player and in effect that was it. He's been - according to reports - a disruptive influence in every dressing room he's been in, certainly since that injury, and for a squad as young as ours carries the potential for tremendous harm. He's probably the greatest "could have been" in the history of football, but now has nothing Palace need. Not worth the risk, as I say I rather see us playing Lance Cronin in the centre of the park than allowing Gascoigne to wear a Palace shirt.

GreatGonzo
27-12-2002, 12:46 PM
and you were 11 when this happened GGonzo so what? age doesn't indicate judgement, your argument is flawed as your implying that my viewpoint is not valid because of my age.

Slightly yes, you must admit that at age 6 you know very little about football, and have hardly seen the game played professionally, and by 11 yes you know a little more. All i am saying is that you can hardly have known what Gazza was like as a player as i can only just remember back that far to the likes of Italia '90.

Too many people go by his reputation, which IMHO is flattering at the best to him!

nookiebear
27-12-2002, 01:41 PM
Gonzo is right, Gazza is the original white elephant, in several ways...

GreatGonzo
27-12-2002, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by nookiebear
Gonzo is right,

Welcome to the dark side Nookie, once you have started agreeing with me you cannot stop! :vader:

Ben H
27-12-2002, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by henryhallandhisbasque
A trial would be a great idea, and at the conclusion of it, you should be dealt with under The Mental Health Act for even raising this subject, and then sentenced to serve a minimum of thirty years in Rampton.

:D Very funny MadRabbi :)

nookiebear
27-12-2002, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by GreatGonzo
Welcome to the dark side Nookie, once you have started agreeing with me you cannot stop! :vader:

I'll agree with you all the time Gonzo as long as you don't use the farce :)

Jack Regan
01-01-2003, 08:01 PM
Paul Gascoigne is an overweight, ignorant, belching, wifebeating, c***. If he joined Palace, I wouldn't hand back my season ticket but devote my time at each match to hurling personal abuse at him.

melteagle
06-01-2003, 08:20 AM
Please you must be joking - sign this **** - not on your life - he's wasting away and has no pace(the only way he gets past people is to pull them back making out their obsructing him(usual old trick)

There's no way now he could stand up to the rigours of pro-football and he'd demand ludicrous wages

Neckinger Eagle
10-01-2003, 10:51 PM
There was an article in the Evening Standard this week which looked at the trainwreck that is Paul Gascoigne's life.

http://thisislondon.co.uk/sport/football/articles/2774295

He can't even get a game for Carshalton at the moment. He was in A&E one day over Christmas with a "numb face". He has a compulsive disorder where he has to keep checking he closed the front door. DC United didn't think he was fit enough on or off the pitch. He's been dumped by his PA company.

I don't think any manager would seriously consider him as capable now, would they?

Beanie
11-01-2003, 12:19 PM
He's supposed to be talking to TNS - top of the League of Wales - about a deal. Could be playing Champions League next season (preliminary ropund any way:rolleyes: )

Ben H
11-01-2003, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Neckinger Eagle
There was an article in the Evening Standard this week which looked at the trainwreck that is Paul Gascoigne's life.

http://thisislondon.co.uk/sport/football/articles/2774295

It's a sorry tale.

Rutty
16-01-2003, 04:37 PM
No - reminds me of what happened when we previously signed an fat bloke ;)