PDA

View Full Version : So, just who are Spurs after?

Big Fella
30-12-2002, 12:56 PM
Chris Haughton, the Spurs first team coach, has been seen at Palace in the previous three weeks, obviously watching us. At the Preston game, the chief scout of Spurs (Spurs blazer and badge) was there. I'm guessing they are watching Mullins, but is he what they are after?

Any ideas?

biggus mickus
30-12-2002, 01:00 PM
With the injuries we have had, its a chance for our fringe players to shine, this inturn opens the eyes of other teams to have a look. Its an open market, and its never been any different.

wedgetail
30-12-2002, 01:54 PM
Looking at Spur's weaknesses I would imagine either Routlege or Black in attack or Popo & Symons in defence.

..unless they want a replacement for Davies.

Hard At Work
30-12-2002, 02:21 PM
If the rumours are true about Davies going to Man Utd then perhaps he was looking at Gray.

Niceaction
30-12-2002, 02:28 PM
I thought Davies plays on the right? I would therefore assume they are looking at Tommy Black and plan to play him right wing.
Aren't players allowed to sign pre contract contracts (does that make sense?) 6 months before their present contract runs out? Hopefully SJ will get around to offering TB a contract soon!

wedgetail
30-12-2002, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Hard At Work
If the rumours are true about Davies going to Man Utd then perhaps he was looking at Gray.
I don't think so.

Dave
30-12-2002, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Niceaction
I thought Davies plays on the right? I would therefore assume they are looking at Tommy Black and plan to play him right wing.
Aren't players allowed to sign pre contract contracts (does that make sense?) 6 months before their present contract runs out? Hopefully SJ will get around to offering TB a contract soon!

I thought Tom was too young for that?

What?
30-12-2002, 02:44 PM
He is 26, i think that may be old enough for him to be swiped from us. If this happens i will be VERY angry with SJ:veryangry

Beanie
30-12-2002, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Niceaction

Only on international deals I understand, not sure why that should be, something to do with the EU, but I fairly sure it's right.

Spurs have no money - Hoddle has said he can't buy anybody, so I wouldn't worry that much. Guess he might suggest a swap or something.

Niceaction
30-12-2002, 02:52 PM
he would have 8m if the rumours of Davies going to Man U are correct

Thanet Eagle
30-12-2002, 02:53 PM
Why would any of our players want to go to Spurs considering our recent league position.Spurs fans are the most passionless in London, rumour has it that Spurs new ground is going to be in a library,sssh!

What?
30-12-2002, 02:54 PM
Anybody would be mad to leave now. Espeacially to the yiddos.

Dave
30-12-2002, 02:59 PM
Why would anyone want to play in the premiership for signficantly more money with no threat of relegation whilst still staying in London is a mystery isn't it?

What?
30-12-2002, 03:00 PM
Because We are going up, and Spurs are pants

Dave
30-12-2002, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by What?
Because We are going up, and Spurs are pants

Good point - well made

Thanet Eagle
30-12-2002, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Dave
Why would anyone want to play in the premiership for signficantly more money with no threat of relegation whilst still staying in London is a mystery isn't it?

The name Chris Armstrong ring any bells? :rolleyes:

Jason
30-12-2002, 03:04 PM
Don't know if it's the case on this occasion, but I know for certain that Houghton has been to Selhurst specifically to look at Mullins on several occassions in the past. Would therefore assume that's who Spurs are after.

wedgetail
30-12-2002, 03:06 PM
Good point - well made
I nominate Dave for putdown of the year.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
30-12-2002, 03:14 PM
He is 26, i think that may be old enough for him to be swiped from us. If this happens i will be VERY angry with SJ:veryangry

I could be mistaken but I'm pretty sure Tommy's only 23.

What?
30-12-2002, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash
I could be mistaken but I'm pretty sure Tommy's only 23.

Thats what i thought too. But apparantly not, i could be wrong but EVERY newspaper/mag/website has him at 26. Im off to check on the official site.

What?
30-12-2002, 03:19 PM
Good point - well made

State the obvious, and nothing more needs to be said.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
30-12-2002, 03:19 PM
Thats what i thought too. But apparantly not, i could be wrong but EVERY newspaper/mag/website has him at 26. Im off to check on the official site.

Newspapers etc. are often wrong - I'm 99% sure cause I always remembered him being a few months younger than me.

What?
30-12-2002, 03:22 PM
His birthday is 6/10/1976 (according to the official site, so it is probably wrong)

Do the math!

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
30-12-2002, 03:24 PM
I still don't believe it though. :)

What?
30-12-2002, 03:25 PM
I know its crazy, it is quite intersting that EVERYBODY thinks he is younger than he supposedly is!

Sir.S.C Remembered
30-12-2002, 06:18 PM
He is 22/23 !

ozeagle
30-12-2002, 06:20 PM
may i state again, in the precarious play off position we have got ourselves in, there will be no selling or buying...

Daniel_Nash
30-12-2002, 06:23 PM
As far as i know there have been no links for Spurs and Palace players, there have been 2 Brentford players (O Connor and Smith), and the departures of Sherwood, Ferdinand and perhaps Carr and Davies (although both have been denied numerous times).

Might just be taking the chance to see some players who have been performing well in recent weeks, Spurs were checking out Michael Dawson of Forest too.

What?
30-12-2002, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Sir.S.C Remembered
He is 22/23 !

I am affraid the OFFICIAL site says otherwise! :p

David
30-12-2002, 08:51 PM

Tommy is 23.

He says so himself in one of the paper's today.

freekickuk
30-12-2002, 09:37 PM
seems as if the offical site has got it wrong it stould be 26/11/79 making him the same age as gray who he joined palace with.

blacks date of birth (http://www.holmesdale.net/page.php?id=111&player=11)

What?
30-12-2002, 09:39 PM
The official site cant get it right. Not just a poem, but a sad fact of life.

freekickuk
30-12-2002, 09:47 PM
go tommy go

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/empics/20021203/22/2142040078.jpg

The Doctor.
30-12-2002, 10:08 PM
He's also officially 5ft 8in tall. I've stood next to the fella, I had no idea I was getting on for 6ft.

Gooders
31-12-2002, 09:58 AM
The official site is wrong - and that's obviously where every newspaper gets information, thus repeating the error.

Beanie
31-12-2002, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Gooders
The official site is wrong - and that's obviously where every newspaper gets information, thus repeating the error.

That implies the newspapers do research. More likely one paper got it wrong and all the others have copied - including the official site.

Big Fella
02-01-2003, 01:45 PM
Just an update, a Spurs scout was again there yesterday, apparently stating that they had signed someone but he wouldn't say who it was.

Beanie
02-01-2003, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Big Fella
Just an update, a Spurs scout was again there yesterday, apparently stating that they had signed someone but he wouldn't say who it was.

Then why was the scout there? If the player was already signed the scout's job is over!

firesign
02-01-2003, 02:40 PM
NO! - you're all wrong. Spurs sent their scout along so they can announce that they "almost" signed Tommy Black.

Cleon
02-01-2003, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Big Fella

If they had signed somebody, they wouldn't have been playing.

The only players I could possibly concieve Spurs being interested in would be Gray, Routledge, Freedman, Mullins or Popovic. The player I would cry least over losing from that lot would be Gray, but on the basis of yesterday I can't see them offering too much for him.

Big Fella
02-01-2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Beanie
Then why was the scout there? If the player was already signed the scout's job is over!

Only reporting what I was told. I can't confirm the last bit but can confirm the scout was there, as was Steve Burtenshaw, the Arsenal scout.

I.Flyer
02-01-2003, 07:09 PM
Re Tommy's age, I have it from the highest possible source, Tommy's mum, that he is 23 years old.

Brett
02-01-2003, 07:37 PM
Re: Tommy Black

He is 26

Are you on drugs?

I've just added you to my ignore list. You constantly criticise my postings without substance yet you make a crap comment like that.

In short, you know f*ck all.

Gazza2
06-01-2003, 10:54 AM
In The Times today, it says that Spurs have been watching Tommy Black (see Blackpool match report).

Justin
06-01-2003, 11:05 AM
Why would Spurs go all the way to Blackpool just to watch Black against lower league opposition?

Gazza2
06-01-2003, 11:08 AM
They've been watching the last 3 or 4 Palace games. If u r going to sign a plyer u want to see him play in a number of fixtures - including Northern away games - to check that player does not just perform in home games when things r going well 4 his team.

PhilC
06-01-2003, 11:17 AM

Are they the same newpapers/mags/websites that reckon Tommy Black is only on loan with us till the end of the season?

Justin
06-01-2003, 11:17 AM
I do not have a clue whether Spurs will sign any Palace player or not but seeing a player in a cup tie against lower league opposition is absolutely no gauge how he would perform in the Premier league. Sheff U away, Portsmouth away yes, but Blackpool away, no. On your basis Spurs would not want Rooney then.

Would suggets Spurs have a northern scout who wanted to see how some promising Blackpool players performed against a higher league opposition rather than the opposite way round.

Expect to see Spurs sign him tommorow then based on his cup performance!!

Beanie
06-01-2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Gazza2
In The Times today, it says that Spurs have been watching Tommy Black (see Blackpool match report).

Do you seriously think that Spurs (or any club) tell the Times (or any paper) what their scouts are doing and who they are watching? Of course not!

All the papers do is say - ahh, Spurs scout at game, who is current "hottest property" playing in that game - Tommy Black. Therefore Spurs are watching Black.

Now it might well be true - but it's just a matter of drawing their own conclussions from what they see, doesn't make them right.

Gazza2
06-01-2003, 12:05 PM
R u reading correctly Justin? They have watched him for a number of games, of which Blackpool was only the latest. They r obvioulsy looking at a number of attcking players as possible replacements for Simon Davies should they lose him to ManU.
Whether they make an offer now, wait until he is a free agent at end of season or decide he is not 4 them....only time will tell. Any player who scored 9 in 9 (or whatever it is) is going to be checked out by some Premier clubs.

Cleon
06-01-2003, 12:06 PM
Well, they can now legally talk to Black. And Adebola for that matter... maybe that's who they were watching!

Beanie
06-01-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Cleon
Well, they can now legally talk to Black. And Adebola for that matter... maybe that's who they were watching!

Only if North London is another country I think you'll find. You may remember the Campbell Saga - Arsenal could not officially speak to him until his contract was up unless Spurs gave permission. The pre-contract thing applies to international moves but not, I believe, to domestic ones.

Cleon
06-01-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Beanie
Only if North London is another country I think you'll find. You may remember the Campbell Saga - Arsenal could not officially speak to him until his contract was up unless Spurs gave permission. The pre-contract thing applies to international moves but not, I believe, to domestic ones.

Ok, fair enough, although North London often feels like another country!

Beanie
06-01-2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Cleon
Ok, fair enough, although North London often feels like another country!

Can't argue with that!

fieldy
06-01-2003, 05:08 PM
Well considering TB's only decent performances have been the last 9 or 10 games in the last 2 years I'm not about to start crying if Spurs do sign him. He could quite easily drift back into another 3 years or mediocrity.

06-01-2003, 08:04 PM
After the way Spurs played against Southampton in the cup I reckon they are probably scouting for 11 players at least.

Si121
07-01-2003, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by wedgetail
Looking at Spur's weaknesses I would imagine either Routlege or Black in attack or Popo & Symons in defence.

..unless they want a replacement for Davies.

We better not sell any of those. :grrr:

glaziers fan
08-01-2003, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by fieldy
Well considering TB's only decent performances have been the last 9 or 10 games in the last 2 years I'm not about to start crying if Spurs do sign him. He could quite easily drift back into another 3 years or mediocrity.

ABSOLUTE RUBBISH! He is only now beginning to get a proper chance. He is a confidence player and always needs a decent run in the team to get going, eg the beginning of the Smith season. My Arsenal supporting friend wishes they had kept him! Thats how good he is! He is also playing in his correct position now! 9 goals in 9 games for a player playing in the hole is AWESOME! He's easily Premier class, and yet he is happy to stay with us if we offer him a decent contract. He DESERVES it!!