PDA

View Full Version : New Keeper Joins

budgie
31-12-2002, 03:00 PM
Looks like we've signed that Cedric Berthelin according to the official site (http://www.cpfc.premiumtv.co.uk/today/view/breaking_news_detail/0,,10323~322534,00.html) until the end of the sentence.

Worth adding, "cover for Alex" says Francis :)

What?
31-12-2002, 03:07 PM
Wahoo!

Axie
31-12-2002, 03:15 PM
Yup from Ananova

Palace swoop for Berthelin

Crystal Palace have signed out-of-contract goalkeeper Cedric Berthelin until the end of the season.

The 26-year-old former Lens shot-stopper already has experience of English football after joining Luton Town on loan earlier this season.

Eagles manager Trevor Francis has been looking to ease the goalkeeping problem at Selhurst Park in light of Matt Clarke's long-term injury and Nik Michopoulos' return to Burnley.

Francis told Palace's official website: "I'm delighted to get Cedric. He's a very good keeper in his own right and will provide excellent cover for Alex Kolinko."

Berthelin added: "I am looking forward to playing for Crystal Palace.

"I hope I can play a part in the club's push for promotion."

Story filed: 15:06 Tuesday 31st December 2002

g23
31-12-2002, 03:20 PM
I don't know this player, but if my experience of French goalkeepers named Cedric is anything to go by, I'll wager his nickname will be:

Cedric 'Big' Berthelin.

Geddit?

Dave
31-12-2002, 03:56 PM
no :(

Ade55
31-12-2002, 07:19 PM
Just watched palace world and heard that we had made a new signing
goalkeeper cedric bertherlin has joined untill the end of the season - due to the fact nic the greek has gone back to burnley

he has played at luton this season and joe kinnear wanted to sign him permanently but couldnt afford 2 - joes not normally a bad judge of a player

he use to play for lens im led to believe

anyone know anything bout him?

fnord
31-12-2002, 07:22 PM
been playing in the reserves recently I believe

c_block_lad
31-12-2002, 07:38 PM
Good back-up keeper at least

Benzhiyi
01-01-2003, 11:36 AM
Would like to have signed Nikos permanently - I really rated him.

Hope Berthelin is as good as his namesake, Carasso.

great dane
02-01-2003, 04:17 AM
This is from www.lutonfc.com (doesn't sound too bad):

Cédric joined Luton at the beginning of October 2002 on an initial 2-month contract as the Hatters were undergoing somewhat of a goalkeeping crisis.

With both Mark Ovendale and Carl Emberson ruled out through injury for Luton's League Cup Second Round match at Aston Villa, manager Joe Kinnear found himself without a senior goalkeeper for the clash at Villa Park. So, after running the rule over Cédric in a 4-1 reserve team win over Peterborough United, he signed the shot-stopper with the message "If you show me you're better than the 2 goalkeepers we currently have on our books, then I'll sign you."

An agile goalkeeper and a good commander of his area, Cédric had been with French side RC Lens but had left the club at the end of the 2001-02 season after dropping down to third-choice in the goalkeeping pecking order.

Somewhat of an unknown quantity on arriving at Kenilworth Road, it was hoped that Cédric would prove to be as big a success as his French compatriot Jean-Louis Valois was when he joined Luton during the 2001-02 season.

And Cédric certainly was a success - his eventual departure from Kenilworth Road a big blow to both Luton manager Joe Kinnear and the Hatters supporters.

Cédric made his debut in a 3-2 win at Stockport County on October 5th 2002 and he went on to figure in the following eight League matches, performing admirably and establishing himself as Luton's number one goalkeeper. Already becoming a favourite with the Hatters supporters, Cédric kept three clean sheets in the 9 League matches that he played in and a good commander of his box, it looked as if he would remain with the Hatters for the forseeable future.

However, just a day before a big FA Cup Second Round match at Division Two leaders Wigan Athletic, Cédric was forced to leave Kenilworth Road. With money tight, the Hatters board told manager Joe Kinnear that he couldn't be given the money to offer Cédric a new contract and the goalkeeper returned to France.

Kinnear was angry and shocked at the board's decision - he desperately wanted to keep him at Kenilworth Road until the end of the season at least. Kinnear said, "I was told yesterday that there is no money to sign Berthelin so he has to go home this morning. It would have cost £20,000 to keep him but the board say they’re skint.

"Cédric has done extremely well since he’s been here and I think that someone will snap him up in five minutes. But it’s not to be. We can’t keep three goalkeepers even though it would have cost a thousand a week to keep him on."

So Cédric left the Hatters with the best wishes of all of the staff and supporters and a sense of 'What might have been'.

Cleon
02-01-2003, 01:15 PM
Not overly fussed by this signing, although since he should be on less money than Nik the Greek, then it seems like a reasonable way to help bring the wages bill a little lower without compromising the first team in any great way.

arussell
02-01-2003, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by fnord
been playing in the reserves recently I believe

He's played in one game - the last one before Christmas against Orient.

Whilst he didn't have to stop many shots, his handling from crosses and corners seemed quite sound. Joe Kinnear was very keen on having him at Luton but they couldn't afford his wages.

Benzhiyi
02-01-2003, 11:51 PM
He looked half decent in the warm up the other day. :)

palace & proud
05-01-2003, 02:13 AM
Only 1 gk fit????

with the news now alex kolinko getting injured vs blackpool (pulling a hamtring) could mean quiet a long time sidelined!!!
with matt clarke out for the season,we have only got new signing credric berthelin,to cover for kolinko???and unexperence youth gk lance cronin.
i think this week t.f will have to start looking in the transfer market for another gk,because we dont know how long kolinko will be out for.and needs cover and maybe try and get burnleys nikolas michopoulas back on loan cover for berthelin,
Nikolas is not a bad keeper i thought he done well as cover for alex!!

its ok people saying why dont we go in for out of favour nigel martyn,dont get me wrong i would love him to play back in a palace shirt :p , but 1/ is leeds wouldnt let him go,his there for cover for paul robinson,2/palace could not afford his wages.& 3/if they let him go thery would nt have cover for there self because 3rd choice leeds gk danny milosevic is at plymouth argyle!!!

Santos-er
05-01-2003, 03:06 AM
Oh ****. can't we get nic the greek back?

jlmatthews
05-01-2003, 06:01 AM
Interesting isn't it. My money would be on us having Cronin on the bench..but who knows? Getting the Greek back would suit me...but may not be an option...

alexthefatdawg
05-01-2003, 07:48 AM
There will surely be a limit on funds available in this direction and I just can't see us buying another keeper. Any definite news on how long Alex will be out?

nookiebear
05-01-2003, 10:39 AM
we've loaned Nic the Greek for as much as we can this season, apparently.

07-01-2003, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by alexthefatdawg
There will surely be a limit on funds available in this direction and I just can't see us buying another keeper. Any definite news on how long Alex will be out?

I would have thought our best move would be to get Fraser Digby in on a month by month contract - He'd be OK for cover on the bench and would be both cheap and available.

Brett
07-01-2003, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by budgie
Looks like we've signed that Cedric Berthelin until the end of the sentence.

Blimey, where did he come from; Belmarsh?

Kirby
08-01-2003, 03:06 AM
:D :lux:

Beanie
08-01-2003, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Bumgas
I would have thought our best move would be to get Fraser Digby in on a month by month contract - He'd be OK for cover on the bench and would be both cheap and available.

Principle is fine, but this is the guy who, whatever his past skills, has just be released by a Div 2 team as not up to it. Wonder if he's now any better than Lance Cronin, who is already being paid by us.

pete eagle
08-01-2003, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by g23
I don't know this player, but if my experience of French goalkeepers named Cedric is anything to go by, I'll wager his nickname will be:

Cedric 'Big' Berthelin.

Geddit?

excellent.

unfortunately, he's not German;)

Freddy Kurz
08-01-2003, 10:09 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Beanie
[B]Principle is fine, but this is the guy who, whatever his past skills, has just be released by a Div 2 team as not up to it. Wonder if he's now any
better than Lance Cronin, who is already being paid by us.

You are misinformed about Bertholin. As has been reported elsewhere, Joe Kinnear desperately wanted to keep the French keeper but was told by his Board Luton couldn't afford him. Other knowledgable observers rate him a class act, and the Palace manager and coaches had the opportunity to run their eye over him during a week's trial. He also made an impressive debut in the Cup match v Blackpool coming on for the injured Kolinko and making a vital late save. Like many others I am a great admirer of young Cronin, and believe he can make it to the top of his profession, but he only left school last summer, turning professional on his 17th birthday in September. Apart from Academy U17 and U19 appearances, he has only a dozen Combination games under his belt, spread over 2 seasons, played in front of an average of 50 spectators and a dog, hardly ideal preparation for playing tough League opposition in front of 18,000+ crowds or v Liverpool in an FA Cup tie before a sell-out audience. Lance will get his chance, when our back-room staff think he is ready for it - and I for one hope his debut won't be long delayed. Meanwhile our U18's have a vital FA Youth Cup tie coming up and we will need Lance between the posts if we are to progress! With Kolinko now out, had Bertholin not been signed we would have been left with Cronin as our only First team 'keeper and forced to bring on an outfield player in the event of his injury or being red-carded. All in all the Bertholin loan-signing may well prove a prudent piece of business by Francis and Jordan.

Beanie
08-01-2003, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Freddy Kurz
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Beanie
[B]Principle is fine, but this is the guy who, whatever his past skills, has just be released by a Div 2 team as not up to it. Wonder if he's now any
better than Lance Cronin, who is already being paid by us.

You are misinformed about Bertholin. As has been reported elsewhere, Joe Kinnear desperately wanted to keep the French keeper but was told by his Board Luton couldn't afford him. Other knowledgable observers rate him a class act, and the Palace manager and coaches had the opportunity to run their eye over him during a week's trial. He also made an impressive debut in the Cup match v Blackpool coming on for the injured Kolinko and making a vital late save. Like many others I am a great admirer of young Cronin, and believe he can make it to the top of his profession, but he only left school last summer, turning professional on his 17th birthday in September. Apart from Academy U17 and U19 appearances, he has only a dozen Combination games under his belt, spread over 2 seasons, played in front of an average of 50 spectators and a dog, hardly ideal preparation for playing tough League opposition in front of 18,000+ crowds or v Liverpool in an FA Cup tie before a sell-out audience. Lance will get his chance, when our back-room staff think he is ready for it - and I for one hope his debut won't be long delayed. Meanwhile our U18's have a vital FA Youth Cup tie coming up and we will need Lance between the posts if we are to progress! With Kolinko now out, had Bertholin not been signed we would have been left with Cronin as our only First team 'keeper and forced to bring on an outfield player in the event of his injury or being red-carded. All in all the Bertholin loan-signing may well prove a prudent piece of business by Francis and Jordan.

Very nice summary - but I was commenting on the option of using Fraser Digby, just released by QPR, as cover for Berthelin. My point was do we pay another keeper to sit on the bench for a month when we have Cronin. I would hope not to have to play Cronin - as we would hope not to play Digby.