PDA

View Full Version : morrison a waist of money?

freekickuk
03-01-2003, 12:26 AM
Morrison may have been a big Palace favourite but it does seem as if Simon Jordan did do a very good bit of business for Crystal Palace football club.
Morrison is finding life playing with the big boy very hard going only three goals in the first half of the season and may now be keeping the bench warm with the signing of the french star Dugarry.
As for palace,
Johnson has played well this year for the Palace too, one of the fastest players i have ever seen,and Morrison seems to be missing the real Palace star mr Freedman Adabola getting better too.

£4.25 million must seem a lot of money to mr Bruce now.

zonin2000
03-01-2003, 12:43 AM
Hmmm...

Time will tell.

Hopefully we'll do a WBA-Lee-Hughes

Beanie
03-01-2003, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by zonin2000
Hmmm...

Time will tell.

Hopefully we'll do a WBA-Lee-Hughes

And what a success that has been! Lee Hughes has scored less for WBA than Clinton has for Brum I believe. Move on.

Gooders
03-01-2003, 08:47 AM
It's a fair point.

Poor Clinton does seem to be struggling to make much of an impact eh?

Dave
03-01-2003, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Gooders
It's a fair point.

Poor Clinton does seem to be struggling to make much of an impact eh?

Nobody performs to the best of their ability when they are unhappy.

He is a remarkable talent and has a long and bright future ahead of him in both the Premiership and in International football.

morrison a waist of money?

It's waste not waist

sunshine lucas
03-01-2003, 08:54 AM
Brolin was a 'waist' of money... :p

Gavin Axten
03-01-2003, 08:57 AM
Its been mentioned a couple of times that Morrison is unhappy,can anyone tell me why he is unhappy??? I thought playing in the premiership under big nose he would be happy.

sunshine lucas
03-01-2003, 09:00 AM
Unhappy?
He's had to step up a level and has had to try and justify a £4m + fee with goals in a pretty poor premiership team. PLUS he's away from his beloved London (see Christmas episode with late arrival for match)

... let's just hope that it dissuades Hayden from making a similar journey away from 'home'.

palace_crystal
03-01-2003, 09:06 AM
he lives 'up north' of course he's unhappy!

comon how old is he now? give him a chance in the prem, its a huge step up for such a young player, best of luck to him, but wouldn't mind having him back at selhurst

Glazed&Confuzed
03-01-2003, 09:13 AM
He was a waste. I think it's hats off to TF for spotting that AJ is a ctually a better talent and we got the better part of the deal. Morrison is a good player if he gets service. Somthing he is not getting at that level. He's a good 1st division striker, that's all.:hi:

Skin Up
03-01-2003, 09:15 AM
If he is unhappy I suppose he's just got to see Brum as a stepping stone, if he can get back to form I can see him playing for someone like Arsenal or Chelsea in a few years.

Freddy Kurz
03-01-2003, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by freekickuk
Morrison may have been a big Palace favourite but it does seem as if Simon Jordan did do a very good bit of business for Crystal Palace football club.
Morrison is finding life playing with the big boy very hard going only three goals in the first half of the season and may now be keeping the bench warm with the signing of the french star Dugarry.
As for palace,
Johnson has played well this year for the Palace too, one of the fastest players i have ever seen,and Morrison seems to be missing the real Palace star mr Freedman Adabola getting better too.

Would it be indelicate at this point to remind everyone of the scorn heaped upon Akinbiyi from Leicester fans and the media after his 5m move from Wolves when he managed only 9 Premiership goals in 37 starts. As Morrison and his former Palace admirers can now see, it is by no means easy for a high-scoring First Division striker to make the transition to Premiership level. I hope Clinton makes it for his sake and for the extra money Palace would get if Birmingham stay up. At the same time I hope that Akinbiyi will eventually justify the mere 2.2m fee we paid for him, and help us back to the Premiership!

Son of Selhurst
03-01-2003, 09:36 AM
I do believe that at the time when we sold him, I mentioned the fact that Morrison is only as good as the service he gets, and Brum will struggle to provide that service in the prem.

But look around. There are plenty of 'top' strikers who are struggling at the moment because they play for 'mediocre' Premisership clubs.

And of course, there's a certain young Mr Owen who ain't exactly on fire at present.....

YASSA the PALACETINIAN
03-01-2003, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by sunshine lucas

As was Ruddock....:)

elliott
03-01-2003, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by sunshine lucas

i was just waiting for that:p

Glazed&Confuzed
03-01-2003, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Son of Selhurst
I do believe that at the time when we sold him, I mentioned the fact that Morrison is only as good as the service he gets, and Brum will struggle to provide that service in the prem.

But look around. There are plenty of 'top' strikers who are struggling at the moment because they play for 'mediocre' Premisership clubs.

And of course, there's a certain young Mr Owen who ain't exactly on fire at present.....

I'm not so sure about that. James Beattie plays for a mediocre club but Southampton would not be having the good season they are having without him. Qulaity strikers go through droughts, but Morrison does look outclassed.:sob:

The other week they drew at home with Charlton and he had a stinker. If he can't do the business against a team like that at home, then where can he in that division?:eek:

TommyEagle
03-01-2003, 11:19 AM
It's not a case of Morrison is, or isn't good enough for the premiership - it's not that black and white. Any player is going to take time to adapt to the harsh realities of the big league, and Clinton is no exception. It might not happen till the second half of this season, or even next season, but I think Clinton will start banging them in again.

Harry Holmesdale
03-01-2003, 12:46 PM
Why is he not happy then ??

Come on Dave and others spill the beans, PM me if its not possible to post on here......

Psychokiller
03-01-2003, 12:51 PM
Would you be happy at having to live in a sh:thole like Birmingham?

Clapham Grand
03-01-2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Glazed&Confuzed
He was a waste. I think it's hats off to TF for spotting that AJ is a ctually a better talent and we got the better part of the deal. Morrison is a good player if he gets service. Somthing he is not getting at that level. He's a good 1st division striker, that's all.:hi:

Really? I don't think Aj would do particularly well in the Prem either?

Clinton thrives on confidence, and part of that comes from being happy. He is clearly not happy - the move north, Brum fans getting on his back etc.

He would have done much better at Spurs or West Ham

Harry Holmesdale
03-01-2003, 12:56 PM
We all have choices in life do we not, surely he was aware of how much of a sh!thole it is before he went.......is this the only reason ?

markholmes1991
03-01-2003, 01:00 PM
Despite Morrison playing his football away from SE25, I still feel allegiances towards the bloke. I’ve no doubt he will come good. Admittedly he has struggled so far but he is playing in a team that have struggled to score goals.
Hardly inspires you going to Old Trafford knowing you’ll be a lone striker. Will be interesting to see how Dugarrys introduction will benefit Morrison.

firesign
03-01-2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Psychokiller
Would you be happy at having to live in a sh:thole like Birmingham?

Everywhere has it good and bad parts. Many of the footballers up here live in the leafy suburb of Barnt Green - which I can assure you is very nice.

Beanie
03-01-2003, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by markholmes1991
Will be interesting to see how Dugarrys introduction will benefit Morrison.

BENEFIT Morrison? I also take no great pleasure in Clinton's problems, but remember he hasn't been first choice up to now with John, Horsfield and recently Kirovski being picked ahead of him. Dugarry will just move him further down the pecking order. He's going to hav eto put in some blistering training sessions to get in the team I think.

Santos
03-01-2003, 01:30 PM
I can't believe some of these posts. Last season Clinton became an all round better footballer than he had been for us in the past. Not just a goal scorer he was very good all round and worked hard. The bloke deserved a chance to take the step up and further his career. He's still young and he will score goals. Whats got to be remembered aswell is that if Clinton had scored as many so far this season as he had last season he wouldn't only be the premier leagues top scorer he would also probably have more than birmingham have scored as a team

Cleon
03-01-2003, 01:43 PM
Santos, ignore them. Morrison will be the first choice striker alongside Dugarry, especially with John injured. Horsfield is quite frankly rubbish, and Kirovski is not a striker, as well we all know.

Kevin T
03-01-2003, 01:50 PM
Speaking to him recently there were only three small issues he had with Birmingham.

The place, the supporters and his team mates.

Apart from that he was ecstatic to be plying his trade there.

AJ1969
03-01-2003, 01:53 PM
What also didn;t help was his good start. I saw him on telly after his 4th or 5th game for the brum scum and after having scored a couple of goals he was going on about how the brum fans were calling him a legend. Must have gotten a bit big headed about it all. I still don;t think he'll cut it in the prem but remain prepared to eat my words :p

GreatGonzo
03-01-2003, 02:00 PM
Clinton scored most of his goals for us playing as 1 of 2 upfront with an attacking midfielder just behind them. When the formation was changed from this he was not so prolific, especially in the second half of the season last year. How many games has he played in the premiership as 1 of 2 with 1 behind?

Louis
03-01-2003, 02:04 PM
Clinton is a fine striker. But of course, there's a huge gap between the First Division and the Premier, and he might be feeling this at the moment. If he stays free from injury, I think he'll finish the season as Birmingham's top scorer.

wedgetail
03-01-2003, 02:05 PM
Let us be honest about this this Birmingham City is the lowest scum team in England, the mere fact that Bruce feels at home there should give everyone a clue as to what it is like, but on top of all that it is owned by a convicted pimp amongst other low lifes.

Clinton has demeaned himself going there on both the playing and personal level, but I assume that the the lure of the Premiership is just too great.

917L
03-01-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Kevin T

All things he would have known about before he went!

Perhaps people will now accept how much Dougie contributed to Clintons success at Palace;)

Sir.S.C Remembered
03-01-2003, 02:39 PM
He had dry spells at us for a while then came with a good spell but if he gets the chance to do this I do not know

Cleon
03-01-2003, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by 917L
Perhaps people will now accept how much Dougie contributed to Clintons success at Palace

Yeah, and big shouts to Leon McKenzie, Lee Bradbury, Matt Svensson, Mikael Forrsell etc. who also must have contributed to Clinton's success in the same way :rolleyes:

Batsta
03-01-2003, 02:58 PM
Clinton is a great player. If Barry Hayles can play in the top flight then so can Clinton. I wish him all the best.

Les Butler
03-01-2003, 03:19 PM
Mark
Will be interesting to see how Dugarrys introduction will benefit Morrison

I wanna see how Dugarrys introduction will benefit Birmingeham ??
He has not scored a goal this season and was quite bad for the last few season's so how's that going to help ?
Sounds like us and Leicester City have been down that road.....

Maybe Clint has not scored a bucketful of goals but what I have seen is Morrison setting up quite a few on top of what he has scored and Jesus you have to give him a bit of time to adjust to a new team plus the Prem.
It must also be hard to understand the way they speak English up there as well if they all sound like Ozzie Osborne........

Clint's a great player in a team that's struggling to survive,again wish he could have gone to a prem team where he could have had time to relax and settle in without the pressure of relegation around the corner.

cpfcben
03-01-2003, 03:22 PM
i think clinton has done quite well for them! birmingham are not a particularly attacking team and they do not seem very good at creating chances! they only thing they do seem able to do is kick lumps out of the opposition. i believe he will improve as the season goes on.

although i would rather he didn't as he is playing for brum.
He always gave his all for the palace even last season when things weren't going well

i reckon he will easily finsish as their top scorer, with at least 11 goals

anti-addick
03-01-2003, 03:23 PM
Morrison has scored 4 goals BTW, and I hope he hits 12 because I have a bet running on that very fact.

dannyturner
03-01-2003, 03:34 PM
Morrison is racked with guilt after leaving Palace. He now realise that it was a big mistake to become a member of the Judas club.

Dave
03-01-2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by dannyturner
Morrison is racked with guilt after leaving Palace. He now realise that it was a big mistake to become a member of the Judas club.

:S: :bash:

John C
03-01-2003, 03:56 PM
alot of it has to do with the muppets he is playing alongside. If there was a bit of experience or class next to him then things could be better for him. Anyway.....I prefer thinking about Black, AJ , Dougie, Routledge, Gray etc.....Most exciting bunch of goal scorers we have had for sometime.

Thanet Eagle
03-01-2003, 04:02 PM
Dissapointed to lose Morrison at the time,but looking back it seems to be a good bit of business by SJ.The team seems better of without him with every one pulling in the same direction.Would not want to mess with his mum though! :)

Palaceman2002
03-01-2003, 04:06 PM
Did you hear she was banned from Loftus rd on Sunday?

How come your a CPFC fan if you're from Thanet?

SIKO
03-01-2003, 04:32 PM
******* Judas, are you sure. The same Judas who goes to every Palace match he can, and it isnt guilt.

917L
03-01-2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Cleon
Yeah, and big shouts to Leon McKenzie, Lee Bradbury, Matt Svensson, Mikael Forrsell etc. who also must have contributed to Clinton's success in the same way :rolleyes:

What a wit you are!;)

dannyturner
03-01-2003, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by SIKO
******* Judas, are you sure. The same Judas who goes to every Palace match he can, and it isnt guilt. Clinton probably wants Birmingham to go down, and Palace to go up more than anyone, so he can come back.:grrr:

Yes, Judas I believe, in that he more or less pledged his future to Palace and then turned his back on them. Jordan was right when he said it was Morrisons decision to leave. If Mullins goes tomorrow, then good luck to him, as he is not saying one thing one minute and up the M1 the next.

I will not boo Clinton if we don't get promoted when he comes back to Selhurst next season in a blue shirt, but he will not get a round of applause from me either. I don't think we need him now, and we won't next season.

Al From Bromley
03-01-2003, 07:42 PM
Like Arnie, he'll be back :)

palace rule
03-01-2003, 08:02 PM
i think clinton really benefitted playing up front with dougie with dougie's through balls. i think they were a great partnership. similar to wright and bright. once they went in separate directions neither of them were as good as they could have been. yes ian wright didscore alot of goals for arsenal but not nearly as many if they were together.

Jimbo ?
03-01-2003, 08:53 PM
clint misses Freedman - no question but if he gets the right partner he has more potential than the other names mentioned

AshfordianEagle
03-01-2003, 09:59 PM
What is interesting is everybody saying he would/will come back. The question I have is would we want him back? I'm not trying to cause a fight, he was a fantastic player for us, times when this club really needed him.
The thing is we all worried where the goals would come from when he went, but now look. If Akinbiyi gets firing when he's fully fit as well, we will be arguing about who are the best two from 5 or 6, lets face it I would not want to see him come back and sit on the bench, which I am sure he would not want either.

BUNGLE
03-01-2003, 10:39 PM
Morrisons still a class above any other striker we currently have at the club.

Freddy Kurz
04-01-2003, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Thanet Eagle
Dissapointed to lose Morrison at the time,but looking back it seems to be a good bit of business by SJ.The team seems better of without him with every one pulling in the same direction.Would not want to mess with his mum though! :)

Having followed Clinton's career from his days in the South-east Counties Palace Junior side, through to the Reserves and First team, may I respectfully suggest that his Mum may be part of his current problem, and that the time has perhaps now come for her to loosen her apron strings and let him grow up and develop his own career. In my view the more he is now able to break free, the more he will be able to develop his abundant natural talent. It is time for him to become a true, self-disciplined, professional footballer........

Freddy Kurz
04-01-2003, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by cpfcben
i think clinton has done quite well for them! birmingham are not a particularly attacking team and they do not seem very good at creating chances! they only thing they do seem able to do is kick lumps out of the opposition. i believe he will improve as the season goes on.

although i would rather he didn't as he is playing for brum.
He always gave his all for the palace even last season when things weren't going well

i reckon he will easily finsish as their top scorer, with at least 11 goals

Hang on! Are you actually suggesting that the "great" Steve Bruce, after nearly a season in charge at Birmingham has failed to transform City into a carbon copy of the brilliant football-playing, super-attacking Palace team he fashioned and so many of the anti-Francis brigade yearned for after our new "hoof-ball" manager took over? Maybe realists in our camp were not all that wide of the mark when suggesting that the successful, attacking football we played for seven games, owed rather more to the mediocre quality of the opposition and the defensive influence of Vickers, than to the innate genius of Bruce

Ben H
04-01-2003, 10:13 AM
Yes, Judas I believe, in that he more or less pledged his future to Palace and then turned his back on them. Jordan was right when he said it was Morrisons decision to leave. If Mullins goes tomorrow, then good luck to him, as he is not saying one thing one minute and up the M1 the next.

I will not boo Clinton if we don't get promoted when he comes back to Selhurst next season in a blue shirt, but he will not get a round of applause from me either. I don't think we need him now, and we won't next season.

You ARE having a laugh, right?

:rolleyes:

Ben H
04-01-2003, 10:14 AM
All things he would have known about before he went!

How would he have known? I would have thought it was the opposite.:confused:

Perhaps people will now accept how much Dougie contributed to Clintons success at Palace;)

Clinton was banging in the goals for us long before Dougie returned.:hmph:

Phil O'Sophical
04-01-2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Freddy Kurz
Hang on! Are you actually suggesting that the "great" Steve Bruce, after nearly a season in charge at Birmingham has failed to transform City into a carbon copy of the brilliant football-playing, super-attacking Palace team he fashioned and so many of the anti-Francis brigade yearned for after our new "hoof-ball" manager took over? Maybe realists in our camp were not all that wide of the mark when suggesting that the successful, attacking football we played for seven games, owed rather more to the mediocre quality of the opposition and the defensive influence of Vickers, than to the innate genius of Bruce

You make a very good point and it became clear just how fundamentally important the centre backs are when we lost Popovic and Symons against Coventry last January. That was effectively the end of our season and although we won enough games to normally get us into a play off positon last year we lost far too many and that was what stopped us making it.

Look how much better we are this year with a combination of three excellent centre backs to choose from and cover for each other and look how Reading are immediately going backwards, from having the best defence in the division, having lost Matthew Upson back to Arsenal.

Freddy Kurz
04-01-2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Phil O'Sophical
You make a very good point and it became clear just how fundamentally important the centre backs are when we lost Popovic and Symons against Coventry last January. That was effectively the end of our season and although we won enough games to normally get us into a play off positon last year we lost far too many and that was what stopped us making it.

Look how much better we are this year with a combination of three excellent centre backs to choose from and cover for each other and look how Reading are immediately going backwards, from having the best defence in the division, having lost Matthew Upson back to Arsenal.

Just as Vickers (alongside Popovic), was crucial to Palace's recovery after a shaky start under Bruce last season(6 points in 5 games, 12 goals for 14 against), so our decline (after the purple patch of 7 consecutive wins) coincided with Vickers' return to Middlesbrough. The twin(long-term) injuries to Popovic and Symons(v Coventry)occurred immediately after a four-game winning run under Francis which was putting us back in contention for a play-off place. The example you give of the negative effect on Reading of losing the services of a top-quality central defender amply illustrates the point I've tried to make.

dannyturner
04-01-2003, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Ben H
You ARE having a laugh, right?

:rolleyes:

No, I am not.

wedgetail
04-01-2003, 09:42 PM
It is very difficult for a pro footballer to turn down a chance to play in the premiership so I couldn't blame anyone wanting to do this. Clinton is no different to any other ambitious player and I can't see what has supposed to have done wrong.

I would love to have him back, but at the moment it isn't possible.

Ben H
05-01-2003, 11:05 AM
No, I am not.

You must be one of the most narrow minded people on here then.

Niceaction
05-01-2003, 11:16 AM
Clinton is a fantastic player full stop. He will score goals for any team, premiership or not, so long as he getting a half decent service!
Those people on here who are slagging him off, calling him judas and the such are the lowest of the low. The man is Palace through and through!

Ben H
05-01-2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Niceaction
Clinton is a fantastic player full stop. He will score goals for any team, premiership or not, so long as he getting a half decent service!
Those people on here who are slagging him off, calling him judas and the such are the lowest of the low. The man is Palace through and through!

Exactly.

How people can accuse Clinton of betraying us by moving is beyond me. It's well known he had a major bust up with TF and had to be moved on. It was a mutual decision and their shouldn't be any hard feelings, just gratitude for all the great moments he gave us.

palace ray
05-01-2003, 11:24 AM
I was having this conversation with my dad yesterday. And we agreed that we actually don't miss Morrison at all. I didn't think he was that great when he did play for us, he couldn't do allot unless the ball fell to his feet. I think we did get the better end of the deal and it was just a matter of time before Clinton got found out.

dangerous Nigel
05-01-2003, 01:28 PM
I think that there are 750,000 reasons why we should hope that Clinton hits a run of form, as 4.25m doesn't look that bad in today's market, then hopefully they will go down the following season without a point

The Vicar
05-01-2003, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Niceaction

Correct!

freekickuk
05-01-2003, 08:33 PM
he lasted a whole 45 minutes today

Henry Pinnell
06-01-2003, 01:45 AM
It's about confidence with clinton, not ability...he has that in abundance 100 times over..

i don't know about some of you guys, but i always had this tingling, anxious feeling when Clinton was on the ball, i always felt he could do something in whatever situation, an many times he didnt disappoint..

As for him not cutting it with the big boys, load of garbage, he can and we all know it....that goal he scored against liverpool in the cup on the sharp turn(i think it was), is just one example of many how class the lad is.

Whether he isn't comfortable with his team mates, where he leaves etc, i wish the guy the very very best of luck in getting a few goals in the back of the net-then im sure some of his anxieties will fade..This isn't about Bruce, or the club he's playing for, but Clinton doing what he deserves-to make it big time.

and if things *really* don't work as planned at Birmingham, he'd be welcome back to Selhurst any time, in my book.

Daniel_Nash
06-01-2003, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by Henry Pinnell
It's about confidence with clinton, not ability...he has that in abundance 100 times over..

Sorry to change the subject slightly, but this confidence factor.. does it remind you in any way of Chris Armstrong?

He definately has/HAD (it seems now) the ability, but when he started to miss a few and suffered injuries he seemed to retire into his shell a little and stepped down a few pegs. He was a decent player, i remember hat tricks for Spurs vs Everton and a couple vs Southampton (in a 7-2 win!).

When the fans were getting on his back, or he wasn't at full fitness he never looked happy and this showed in his performances. I just wonder if this is the case with Morrison at the moment. His personal life and lack of confidence (in him, and shown in him by the staff at Birmingham) affecting the way he plays.

Psychokiller
06-01-2003, 10:17 AM
Chris Armstrong was a good player up until that piece of sh:t Smith decided to wage a personal vendetta against him. When Armstrong failed his dope test the FA and the Premiership both agreed to keep the matter internal and allow Palace to say that Armstrong was injured to prevent the lad getting any negative publicity. What did Smith do? He went straight to the media and told them in no uncertain terms what happened! He seemed to go off form and lose confidence from then on, which was reflected in his poor goal tally for that season. £4.5m from Tottenham was a good deal, and about £1.5m more than the lad was worth.

sydnsteve
06-01-2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by palace ray
I was having this conversation with my dad yesterday. And we agreed that we actually don't miss Morrison at all. I didn't think he was that great when he did play for us, he couldn't do allot unless the ball fell to his feet. I think we did get the better end of the deal and it was just a matter of time before Clinton got found out.

I really don't believe quotes like these. If you think Clinton only did something when the ball fell to his feet, you must have had your eyes closed when he was making runs of the ball. I hope Clint does well, but as with all strikers he needs service, and he has to have confidence. At present he appears to have no service and his cofidence is low. I suppose Phillips and Owen aren't Premiership strikers as they are not scoring at the moment.
I do think it is possible that Clint won't make it at Brum, but I do think he would succeed in the right team. However, it is clearly possible that he won't make the step up, in which case it was a good bit of business by SJ.
As for AJ, I think the jury is still out on his scoring abilities. I remeber 'goal machine' Andy Preece only too well. Having said that, AJ and Dele would be my current front pairing.

fieldy
06-01-2003, 05:39 PM
Well slate me if you will but I can't help having a little chuckle to myself at the fact Morrison is struggling and I couldn't help but have a great big belly laugh when I heard about the barracking he got at Fulham yesterday with chants of "Mummy's boy, Mummy's boy, Mummy's boy" and then be substituted at half time! For once it's nice to see that Palace have potentially got the good end of the deal. I think we'll soon see the Incredible Sulk start living up to his name!

Ben H
06-01-2003, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Psychokiller
Chris Armstrong was a good player up until that piece of sh:t Smith decided to wage a personal vendetta against him. When Armstrong failed his dope test the FA and the Premiership both agreed to keep the matter internal and allow Palace to say that Armstrong was injured to prevent the lad getting any negative publicity. What did Smith do? He went straight to the media and told them in no uncertain terms what happened! He seemed to go off form and lose confidence from then on, which was reflected in his poor goal tally for that season. £4.5m from Tottenham was a good deal, and about £1.5m more than the lad was worth.

Wasn't the drugs incident was towards the end of the season ? He was already having a shít season before the dope test I think. :)

palace ray
06-01-2003, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by sydnsteve
I really don't believe quotes like these. If you think Clinton only did something when the ball fell to his feet, you must have had your eyes closed when he was making runs of the ball. I hope Clint does well, but as with all strikers he needs service, and he has to have confidence. At present he appears to have no service and his cofidence is low. I suppose Phillips and Owen aren't Premiership strikers as they are not scoring at the moment.
I do think it is possible that Clint won't make it at Brum, but I do think he would succeed in the right team. However, it is clearly possible that he won't make the step up, in which case it was a good bit of business by SJ.
As for AJ, I think the jury is still out on his scoring abilities. I remeber 'goal machine' Andy Preece only too well. Having said that, AJ and Dele would be my current front pairing.

Well i'm sorry to disagree! Ok he did make runs but nothing came to it, he really wasn't that good. It's not like he was Ian Wright is it.

Walrus
06-01-2003, 09:52 PM
All this Clinton debate is taking place at the extremes of the scale in my opinion. (Good ol' BBS)

Clinton proved himself to be a good player for Palace who showed better than average commitment to the shirt he wore and also showed flashes of greatness along with flashes of "attitude" both good and bad.

We sold him for £2.75 million plus Andy Johnson plus £750k if Brum stay up, which was good business for us in a falling market and a good payday for Clinton.

I have no doubt that Clinton could come back into Div 1 and score 20 goals a season whether with Brum, us or Grimsby Town.

Birmingham City are a VERY poor footballing side who's game revolves around Robbie Savage and direct/long ball passes once Savage has broken things up. Thierry Henry would be doing damn well to score 15 goals a season in that side, and Clinton is not in that class.

Why all the stick for the bloke ? Palace history will show Clinton in nothing but a good light which is what he deserves.

budgie
06-01-2003, 10:16 PM
Do some people forget that Morrison was our top goalscorer for 4 seasons? I can't believe how people can call him "judas". Thats ridcoulous. The lad scored many goals for us - many important ones as well along the years. He played on £200 a week during the administration years despite having many chances to move on to bigger and better things (and earn a hell of a lot more). He turned down other moves as well later in his Palace carear. Alan Smith transfer listed him and basically made a mockery of him in the media yet he still played his hardest week-in week-out. He loved the club. You could tell that he did by the way he played. I can't believe some people.

sydnsteve
07-01-2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by budgie
Do some people forget that Morrison was our top goalscorer for 4 seasons? I can't believe how people can call him "judas". Thats ridcoulous. The lad scored many goals for us - many important ones as well along the years. He played on £200 a week during the administration years despite having many chances to move on to bigger and better things (and earn a hell of a lot more). He turned down other moves as well later in his Palace carear. Alan Smith transfer listed him and basically made a mockery of him in the media yet he still played his hardest week-in week-out. He loved the club. You could tell that he did by the way he played. I can't believe some people.

Too right.

RDSdaEAGLE
07-01-2003, 12:16 PM
The worst thing is, he reads the BBS as much as he possibly can...

so when he reads things like him being labelled a "judas" it gives the impression that he isn't liked here.

I certainly don't agree with the judas label...and I certainly don't want to be tarred with the same brush.

Morrison was our star player. Unless you're a top 10 Premiership side, you won't keep your star players. He wanted premiership football, we wanted money.

Oisin
07-01-2003, 12:29 PM
Clinton has had a difficult start to the season. so what? Bellamy didn't exactly fire when he moved from norwich to Cov but he's there now. Clinton is still young and will be a great Premiership and international striker. Have you fogotten some of the goals he scored (including against premiership defenders).

Jack Regan
07-01-2003, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Gavin Axten
I thought playing in the premiership under big nose he would be happy.

Fecking Hell

Is he playing for Malcolm Allison now?

Daddy Long
07-01-2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by BUNGLE
Morrisons still a class above any other striker we currently have at the club.

Spot on

Sir.S.C Remembered
07-01-2003, 12:40 PM
I gotta say he is a natural close range finisher and will score but personally I'd had enough of his charachter or what he was portrayed to be like. HE seemed maony, big headed, lazy and so arrogant. Good luck to him and I agree I think he will suceed but he wasn;t that great to watch as a spectator compared to the frightening pace of AJ

Oisin
07-01-2003, 12:43 PM
Some people seem to have such short memories. I hope to see Clinton in the red and blue again one day.

PENGE P
07-01-2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Kevin T
Speaking to him recently there were only three small issues he had with Birmingham.

Apart from that he was ecstatic to be plying his trade there.

Nothing major there then eh !!!!!

Del Boy
07-01-2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by budgie

Absolutely right!

It astounds me that some people can only judge a player on whether he stays with their club or moves on.

Clinton was part of the most prolific striking partnership that Palace have had since the days of Wright and Bright, except that he and Freedman did it in a team that was struggling, with a threadbare midfield and porous defence.

Indeed, his goals helped to keep us in Div 1, during administration and under Smith.

At times he showed too much irritation with his team mates when he didn't get quite the pass he wanted, but to me that was counteracted by the work he put in, his ability to hold the ball up, pass it accurately, finish well and ignore the lumps he had kicked off him week in, week out.

People I have spoken to who have met Clinton actually speak warmly of him and his feeling for the club. Any person who works in any job has the right to move on. Whether he went voluntarily, we still got £4.25M for him (or something less when you take off AJ's fee and whatever is deferred based on Brum staying up). Either way that's good money for us and a chance for Clinton to play in the Premiership. That's life and it's every person's right to change their job.

I'd welcome him back without any hesitation, as I believe most Palace fans would and I'm sure Clinton knows that's the way most Palace fans feel. The idiots who want to call him a Judas and who wnat to re-write history to defend their position ought to learn to grow up and move on.

RDSdaEAGLE
07-01-2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Sir.S.C Remembered
I gotta say he is a natural close range finisher and will score but personally I'd had enough of his charachter or what he was portrayed to be like. HE seemed maony, big headed, lazy and so arrogant. Good luck to him and I agree I think he will suceed but he wasn;t that great to watch as a spectator compared to the frightening pace of AJ

I can't agree with that Stefan...

the media loved to potray him as someone who was too big for his boots...but in actual fact he is very much a friendly, approachable person who likes to talk to supporters. His goalscoring record proves that he wasn't the lazy player many people thought he was. I remember seeing him defend with as much confidence as any actual defender, his passes helped set his own goals up aswell as those of other players.

I think Morrison is, in terms of spectator entertainment, a whole different concept to AJ. With Morrison, he'd work his way into a position to get a scoring opportunity. AJ is more of a direct player, which is more exciting to watch, but IMHO not as effective.

Daddy Long
07-01-2003, 01:08 PM
How do you feel when one of our strikers is running through on goal with just the keeper to beat? I feel nervous. I do not feel that we are going to score. When Clinton was at the club I felt we were going to score every time he got the ball around the box. He would certainly not have missed the 2 one on ones that Dele had against Preston, or the shot Ade had against Coventry when he only had to lift the ball over the keeper or the numerous blasts wide that we've seen from AJ. Each of these players are valuable to us in their own right and I am pleased to have all of them at Palace. But in the cold light of day none of them measure up to Clinton where it counts - goal scoring ability. Clinton knows where the net is and can find it on a regular basis.

He was starting to form a very potent partnership with Stern John before John got injured. You will have noticed how many chances Clinton provided John with. You will have noticed how many assists he got. You will surely not have forgotten his opening Premiership goal for Brum, an amazing header from the edge of the box across the keeper. Sure he is struggling now. He has been playing upfront alone in a target man role. The Clinton that we knew and witnessed in full flow liked to pull out wide, drag defenders about, feed and be fed by another striker upfront.

I would have him back in a flash. I would swap him for any of the strikers we have at the club, even Dougie. If, as has been suggested on the BBS before, there is a clause in his contract which allows us to purchase him back if we get promoted or Brum get relegated, I hope we will take up that option.

Cleon
07-01-2003, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by RDSdaEAGLE
I think Morrison is, in terms of spectator entertainment, a whole different concept to AJ. With Morrison, he'd work his way into a position to get a scoring opportunity. AJ is more of a direct player, which is more exciting to watch, but IMHO not as effective.

For different, read better. I can't believe that a purple patch consisting of a couple of hattricks and a few odd goals suggest that Andy Johnson is in the same class as Clinton Morrison. Yes, Andy Johnson would make my starting XI at the moment (with Dougie, just keeping Akinbiyi on the bench), but Clinton would be the first name on any Palace team sheet if he was still here. He created at least as many as he scored, and as you rightly point out, all the criticism of his attitude came from Alan Smith and lazy journalists that thought 'prolific black striker from Crystal Palace' and instantly compared him to Ian Wright.

I still want to see Birmingham go down. I still want to see Andy Johnson score the goals that sends us into the Premiership. And I can still remember Morrison scoring the goals that saved us from relegation in 1999-00 and 2000-01, and scoring the goals that made us look like promotion candidates in 2001-02 until Brucey knocked the wheels off.

Gavin Axten
07-01-2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Jack Regan
Fecking Hell

Is he playing for Malcolm Allison now?

I was under the impression all the players loved Bruce and that was part of the reason Clinton went to Brum

Benzhiyi
07-01-2003, 01:23 PM
The one person who changed my view of Clinton was Mr Aki Riihilahti.

To be honest I'd always seen Clinton a great poacher but not much else, but then I when I interviewed Aki in late 2001 I asked him who the best player to play alongside at Crystal Palace was, just for skill and all round play. I was expecting him to say Dougie; he said "Clinton, by miles." He said even in training Clint was a joy to watch, would do fantastic things with the ball, made great runs and was a first class finisher. From that day on I attempted to watch Clinton's all round game rather than just his goalscoring - and he was close to being the complete striker. God how I miss him now.

It's funny though that since then I try and watch not just a striker's goals, but their all round play too. Maybe that's why I've supported Adebola and Akinbiyi so ardently, because their all round abilities are generally very good - they just can't finish!!

Anyway, I hope one day Clint will indeed return.... but sadly it never seems to be quite the same, Dougie excepted.

GMan
07-01-2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Cleon
For different, read better. I can't believe that a purple patch consisting of a couple of hattricks and a few odd goals suggest that Andy Johnson is in the same class as Clinton Morrison.

Definitely agree. There is no forward at palace at the moment who is anywhere near clinton at the moment. You doubters have got to wake up. Tommy Black has scored 9 in 9, how many did he get in the million games he played before the last nine? AJ scored ten goals in quite a few games. Both of them hit purple patches, Clinton always scored. Top scorer for four seasons, he hardly ever wasted a good chance (compare that to adebola and Akinbye at the moment). Yes, Dougie played a big part in his success last season, but then clinton played a big part in dougie's success. I really think the people that doubt him are incredibly stupid. Lst season he worked really hard for palace, he was the best "defensive forward" I have seen. He was a bit moany before, but for god sake he's also young. He made great strides in his last Palace season. Really can't believe what I am reading. AJ better than Clinton, what a load of rubbish. BTW, before you all slate me for having a go at Johnson and Adebola etc etc, I am not. i am simply saying that they are light years behind clinton in terms of goal scoring ability. Goal scoring ability is what counts, isnt it? All the people who defend Adebola on here by saying that he holds the ball up well and sets up some goals i agree with. But by the same token centre forwards have to be able to take chances (such as two one-on-ones in a game) that come their way.

nookiebear
07-01-2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Sir.S.C Remembered

Have you actually met him?

You'd be surprised what he's like, he's not arrogant at all.

A great servant to the club who was offered a chance to play against the big boys and all the top stadiums by Brum and took it, and after all the **** he had to put up with at Palace (administration, Smith, being two examples), why shouldn't he take that chance.

would you stay in the same job for ever and turn down ones that might offer you more money and the chance to better yourself?

I'd welcome him back today with open arms.

And as for saying you'd prefer AJ over Morrison... :bash:

hilairehair
07-01-2003, 01:48 PM
The Birmingham fans don't seems to rate him here:-

http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/park/yfh45/index.shtml

nookiebear
07-01-2003, 02:02 PM
and while I'm on it Sir S C, how can Clinton, a 20+ goals-a-season striker not be 'great to watch'?

Clapham Grand
07-01-2003, 02:03 PM
Clinton is far better than any striker we have at the club, end of.

His commitment was aastonishing. I remember after an evening game when he was still injured having dislocated his shoulder, we emerged from the bar late on and there he was running up and down in the car park hitting the ball aginst the wire meshing. 11pm at night, on his way back from a very serious injury.

That is why he will always be a great player in my eyes.

I would love to see him back here again in SE25, cheeky loan bid SJ?

nookiebear
07-01-2003, 02:08 PM
anyone remember that goal at Swindon (I think)? he spent most of the game holding his dislocated shoulder and still scored a beauty

Benzhiyi
07-01-2003, 03:11 PM
Interesting post from someone called Sumatt Blue on the site hilairhair mentions...

"I still say give him time, though I must admit he's done little so far to justify such faith, but we don't play to his strengths and he's not really experienced enough to carry the attack as he's had to thus far, maybe a change of partner will be the spark to ignite him.
What is a worry though is that when he does get a chance he fluffs it, which just isn't good enough at this level.
Talk of it being the first nail in Bruce's coffin is a tad premature, but I think it would be a pertinent question as to why having made Morrison the club record signing and having persued him so vigoursly, a sure sign that he rates him at least, we use tactics totally unsuited to his strengths??"

Will S
07-01-2003, 04:50 PM
Blimey, they'll be demanding Francis back at this rate....

RDSdaEAGLE
08-01-2003, 12:03 AM
I doubt Stern John is the easiest player to play along side...you just have to look at how David Johnson faired alongside him at Nottingham Forest...and how well Johnson is doing without him.

You could say I'm jumping to conclusions...but I think it's a fair point.

Stavros 69
08-01-2003, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by Will S
Blimey, they'll be demanding Francis back at this rate....

And no doubt we'll give him back with a big wad of our cash :grrr:

Oisin
08-01-2003, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by RDSdaEAGLE

the media loved to potray him as someone who was too big for his boots...but in actual fact he is very much a friendly, approachable person who likes to talk to supporters.

Clinton was a confident person when it came to his abilities but if anything when i spoke to him once I found him a shy and modest man.

917L
08-01-2003, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by Ben H

Clinton was banging in the goals for us long before Dougie returned.:hmph:

True but his goal ratio improved dramatically on Dougie's arrival hence scoring almost twice as many goals in his only full season with Dougie than the previous full one without him!

98/9 13 goals (no Doug)
99/00 14 goals 14 goals(no Doug)
00/01 19 goals (Doug for part of the season)
01/02 26 goals(Doug all season)

Just coincidence? I think not;)

Latvian
08-01-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Oisin
Some people seem to have such short memories. I hope to see Clinton in the red and blue again one day.

I'm with you brother :p

Gerry from Sussex
08-01-2003, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Clapham Grand
Really? I don't think Aj would do particularly well in the Prem either?

Clinton thrives on confidence, and part of that comes from being happy. He is clearly not happy - the move north, Brum fans getting on his back etc.

He would have done much better at Spurs or West Ham

I've always thought the real knock he got was not being given a run out in the World Cup - even when they were safely through. I know he tried to put a brave face on it but his comment at the time that he was "a little surprised" was a massive understatement and under that he felt hugely disappointed. If I'm right his resulting drop in form could have become our problem instead of Bruce's so maybe it's a blessing in disgiuse that he left when he did (for us I mean, not for him obviously).

But, as mentioned earlier, it's not something we need to worry about now. Our hopes rest on Akinbiyi returning to form, AJ getting a more prolonged run of form going, and hoping Dougie has not lost his touch when he is finally injury free. If we get 2 out of the 3 we will be laughing.

nookiebear
09-01-2003, 11:26 AM
While I'd have back Clinton any day of the week, I agree that Akinbiyi, Freedman and AJ would be a great frontline and would scare most first divison defences shitless

Clapham Grand
10-01-2003, 02:29 PM
According to this article - he wants to play for M Utd or Arsenal!!

http://www.thisislondon.com/sport/football/articles/2853064

palace ray
10-01-2003, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Daddy Long
How do you feel when one of our strikers is running through on goal with just the keeper to beat? I feel nervous. I do not feel that we are going to score.

I don't feel nervous I sh8t myself!!!:D

The Vicar
10-01-2003, 07:10 PM
He's top notch, but hopefully we can get him back for half the price we sold him for.

baughurst eagle
10-01-2003, 07:19 PM
I hope he gets in the top 5 scorers in the second half of the season as I have a bet with my mates at work that he will they think he's ***** so far ive been proven wrong come on clint bang em in and still go down
with the brum no -hope-ers

kolinkins
10-01-2003, 07:52 PM
True but his goal ratio improved dramatically on Dougie's arrival hence scoring almost twice as many goals in his only full season with Dougie than the previous full one without him!

98/9 13 goals (no Doug)
99/00 14 goals 14 goals(no Doug)
00/01 19 goals (Doug for part of the season)
01/02 26 goals(Doug all season)

Just coincidence? I think not;)

i think you are forgetting his shoulder injuries that meant he missed 3 months in season 99/00. and in 98/99, he was not regular for first half of the season.

The Vicar
10-01-2003, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by nookiebear
While I'd have back Clinton any day of the week, I agree that Akinbiyi, Freedman and AJ would be a great frontline and would scare most first divison defences shitless

generally agree, but how could we leave Tommy out?

nookiebear
10-01-2003, 11:50 PM
dunno Vicar, I think we'll find we're struggling to play all our creative players by the end of the season

the current, successful, line-up doesn't even have room for Routledge in the first 11, let alone Routledge, Black, Freedman and AJ

Nice headache for Trev, but I think Freedman or Black will miss out

SIKO
11-01-2003, 12:10 AM
Its Friday night, Ive had a few bevvies, and feel that I perhaps should put my views on Clinton.

Whilst his attitude may come across as arrogant on the pitch, its just pure fristration. No matter who he is playing for, he just wants to score goals.

Anyone who has met him off the pitch, he is totally different. He has no airs or graces whatsoever, and will always do what he can for anyone. This guy will give up his free time to help people, and no matter what he is doing will always talk to people. I have before now picked him up in an old Y reg (1983) mini, and he loved it. He really didnt give a ****, yet I have had people refuse to get in a new Rover 75 because they felt it was beneath them.

He has attended charitable events, Birthday party's and god knows what, when he has had the opportunity to attend more high profile events. As far as I am concerned, he is unique.

I know he is a closet Palace supporter in his heart of hearts, and wants them to succeed. I also know he is not as good at pool as he thinks either.

I think the problem is, some people mistake ambition and drive to succeed for arrogance, and this is not the case with Clinton. Meet him outside of a football match, and he is juct another person you would meet in the pub with an unhealthy interest in football.

CHE
11-01-2003, 12:46 AM
Ignore his history, about staying with us through administration. Ignore his fall-out with management. I remember hearing Cl,inton interviewed on 5 Live for the first time. They went back to the studio, and the presenter, Peter Allen, I think, said "what a nice bloke". Says it all to me.

nookiebear
11-01-2003, 09:33 AM
I interviewed footballers for Shoot for a year and Clinton was one of the nicest and easiest to talk to

boxing francis
14-01-2003, 01:50 PM
Cant help but feel sorry for clint, i would wish him the best of luck but with brum?

Benzhiyi
14-01-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by boxing francis
Cant help but feel sorry for clint, he'll be quite good for brum in division 1 next year......

Or us in the Prem. :o

Am I right in thinking we had some kind of first option buy-back clause? :cool:

BVB Bob
14-01-2003, 02:12 PM
Think he'd go somewhere else in the Prem rather than return to Div 1.

freekickuk
14-01-2003, 02:47 PM
no one will want him if he does start scoring soon

El Aguila
14-01-2003, 02:55 PM
I'd have him back like a shot, hopefully making a nifty little profit on the deal. It gives me no pleasure to see him struggling to score and unappreciated by his new supporters - if he played for a decent team he would be doing much better.

The Omen
14-01-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by freekickuk
no one will want him if he does start scoring soon

:confused: :vader:

freekickuk
14-01-2003, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by El Aguila
I'd have him back like a shot, hopefully making a nifty little profit on the deal. It gives me no pleasure to see him struggling to score and unappreciated by his new supporters - if he played for a decent team he would be doing much better.

agree totaly

Planet Palace
14-01-2003, 03:30 PM
I don't know where Clint sits in the forward pegging order in Brum. We all know that he likes balls to feet and does not even bother with anything in the air. They have spent a lot of money, I feel the shape of their team and the way they go forward will change quite a bit. This might not suit his style.

Clint needs a run in the team, they don't have the time to give him that. If he does not get goals for them-they will get rid.
Tommy should observe and learn from this and stay in the 1st Div and maybe go up with a team like us.

I liked Clint but he was not the most hard working of players which use to piss me off. AJ may not have his ability but he does give his all.

Benzhiyi
14-01-2003, 03:44 PM
By the looks of things Planet Palace, he is behind Dugarry and Vittek (if they sign him), and vying with John, Horsfield, and Kirovski - all of whom who have been selected ahead of him at various times lately - for a place on the bench.

Sad really, because the other thing Clinton seems to feed of in confidence and feeling wanted - and having five other strikers above or around him in the pecking order must be pretty demoralising. :(

fieldy
14-01-2003, 05:51 PM
He didn't play and wasn't even on the bench for their game against Arsenal on Sunday, was he injured/suspended or dropped altogether does anyone know? Has he fallen out with Old Flat Face?

Billyd
14-01-2003, 07:31 PM
suspended, although i think he will struggle to make the first 11 with dugarry around

BaldEagle96
14-01-2003, 08:06 PM
I am sure Bruce will nurture Clinton along and as long as Brum stay up then he will get his chance.

As has been said before Clinton thrives off confidence and I expect that if they do sign this Vittek then his confidence will be rock bottom..

As for having him back at the Palace - yes I would have him back anyday. Although I like the look of Akinbiyi long term I would swop any of our current batch of strikers for Clinton..

Celestial Empire
15-01-2003, 01:23 AM
Dugarry is exactly the sort of player who could link up with Clint (unfortunately). Even Bruce can't pay that sort of money and leave Clint in the reserves - swap for someone at Leeds perhaps ?

Curry
08-03-2003, 11:53 AM
Hopefully we might be able to pick him up for a million or so in about 18 months. Come home to daddy Clinton.

Blarm
08-03-2003, 10:59 PM
As for palace,

This was rubbish business from jordan. If we had not have sold morrison then we would be in automatic promotion probably. this means we would be promoted which means 15m + that is a lot more than the 4m we got for him This is not me having a go at you in any way i am just saying that it was the wrong thing for jordan to do

Mong!
09-03-2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Blarm
As for palace,

This was rubbish business from jordan. If we had not have sold morrison then we would be in automatic promotion probably. this means we would be promoted which means 15m + that is a lot more than the 4m we got for him This is not me having a go at you in any way i am just saying that it was the wrong thing for jordan to do

How was promotion guarenteed by having Morrison in the side? Freedman has been injured all this season so this would've made it harder. 4 million pounds in the nationwide is a hell of alot of money at the moment, i know what i would've done if i were Jordan.

Beanie
10-03-2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Mong!
How was promotion guarenteed by having Morrison in the side? Freedman has been injured all this season so this would've made it harder. 4 million pounds in the nationwide is a hell of alot of money at the moment, i know what i would've done if i were Jordan.

Quite agree - no one player can guarentee anything. Clinton could have been done in the first game of the season and not played the rest of the year, or, like Dougie, Akinbiyi and one or two others carried injuries and played while not fully fit for long periods. Then we'd be £4m light and probably no better off than we are now, possibly worse as we wouldn't have had AJ's goals.

SJ really had no choice - no way he was going to gamble £4m.