PDA

View Full Version : Contract for Tommy Black ?

freekickuk
28-12-2002, 11:55 PM
come on SJ get your pen and paper out and give the man a new deal,

PalaceSi
29-12-2002, 12:35 AM
Come on SJ its an emergency, 7 goals in 7 games, we've won 4 out of 5 and the boys on fire and also out of contract in 5 months and free to go anywhere for nothing. He's expressed a desire to play for Palace and has his best years ahead of him. Rest assured the vulchers are waiting as with Gray so sort it.

ozeagle
29-12-2002, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by PalaceSi
Come on SJ its an emergency, 7 goals in 7 games, we've won 4 out of 5 and the boys on fire and also out of contract in 5 months and free to go anywhere for nothing. He's expressed a desire to play for Palace and has his best years ahead of him. Rest assured the vulchers are waiting as with Gray so sort it.

expect him to sign this week...

:D

BaldEagle96
29-12-2002, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by ozeagle

Is that wishful thinking Oz or something known???

freekickuk
29-12-2002, 07:14 PM

hope so

trufan
29-12-2002, 07:56 PM

. . . and then return to the "Old Tommy" we all knew and loved? :eek:

Beanie
30-12-2002, 09:37 AM
Whats the emergency? His deal expires in five months, not five days. If I were TB I wouldn't sign just yet anyway. See how things go.

Martin H
01-01-2003, 02:00 PM
Not heard anything yet. Black was quoted in the Express the other day. Don't have the text but it was a mixture of not being offered anything yet and not sure where his future lies. As happy for it to be away from Palace type of thing. Sounded a bit like an all points announcement to come and get him (meaning including Palace too).

There was nothing wrong with his statement but I hope these 7 matches don't go to his head. For a start he hasn't been outstanding in them all (but I am not complaining). He has been here 2 years before we have seen this type of run from him. He HAS to turn this in for at least 25 games a season with min of OK for the rest for him to be worth a contract. Just hope he doesn't get too pushy in the contract negotiations. SJ will (quite rightly) show him the door.

Isn't being a Palace fan, just too stressful sometimes!

TF's brain cell
05-01-2003, 09:09 PM
Can someone tell me if Tommy Black has been signed up on a new contract yet?

Cause at the rate he's banging in the goals, i'm sure it won't be long before another club does! :confused:

jlmatthews
05-01-2003, 09:34 PM
Don't think it's been done yet...I'm in your corner on hoping ti's soon though!

Sir.S.C Remembered
05-01-2003, 09:39 PM
An agreement has not been announced as yet

palace & proud
05-01-2003, 10:42 PM
he was in talks with one but has all gone dead!!! if he dont get a contract signed by the end of the season,tommy will be avalable on a free bosman, and dont want that to happen.

rock on tommy,tommy rock on!!!

forsells no1 fan
05-01-2003, 11:03 PM
perhaps his demands are getting to high after recent performances!

freekickuk
05-01-2003, 11:57 PM
in talks this week

gjtango
06-01-2003, 12:00 AM
gdgd :p

Son of Selhurst
06-01-2003, 11:49 AM
Tommy definitely holds the upper hand on this one. I hope his heart tells him to play fair and stick with Palace.....:love:

Maz
06-01-2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Son of Selhurst
Tommy definitely holds the upper hand on this one. I hope his heart tells him to play fair and stick with Palace.....:love:

...after all we stuck with him! The sun didn't always shine from his shorts!

:)

ozeagle
06-01-2003, 12:02 PM
sure he will sign this week, all credit to him though, SJ could have got him for 1/2 the price 4 weeks back..

Cleon
06-01-2003, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Maz
...after all we stuck with him!

Well, we didn't exactly stick with him out of anything other than contractual obligation. I have three fears:

1-He will now get big headed and want too much
2-He will sign for another club
3-He will sign for Palace and then return to his old inconsistent self

Maz
06-01-2003, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Cleon
Well, we didn't exactly stick with him out of anything other than contractual obligation. I have three fears:

1-He will now get big headed and want too much
2-He will sign for another club
3-He will sign for Palace and then return to his old inconsistent self

You're right of course.

But I'm not too sure these are just fears. At least one of them sounds like a certainty to me - I just don't know WHICH...

nookiebear
06-01-2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Maz

INdeed

Two years of underperforming is forgotten by Tommy as he demands a pay rise for 10 decent games this season

dangerous Nigel
06-01-2003, 12:16 PM
Tommy has been a revelation over the last month, but am I being cynical when this change of fortune is coincidentally at the same time as talks about regarding renewing contracts?.

mikestock
06-01-2003, 12:17 PM
ANy one see the repoprt in the sun today?

tommy saying i hope the club pay we what i'm worth.

sounds like it isn't cut and dried to me.

sydnsteve
06-01-2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Maz

There are those of us that thought it did!

firesign
06-01-2003, 12:33 PM
The average wage at Palace is 297,000 a year (5,711.53 a week). SJ has said he wants to get that down to 200,000 a year (3,846.15 a week). The average wage for a player in the Division One is currently 175,000 a year (3,365.38 a week).

I don't know what TB is on now, and I want him to stay, but I hope he doesn't get greedy. In the current climate SJ cannot afford to be held to ransom by any player.

BaldEagle96
06-01-2003, 12:48 PM
The big question though is "will Tommy get a first team place once everyone is back from injury?"

IF TF thinks yes then he will do his best to get him a new contract - if he thinks no, then it could be bye bye Tommy and thanks for everything.

Phil O'Sophical
06-01-2003, 07:19 PM
The Times report today on the Blackpool game mentioned that there were Spurs scouts at the game watching him. Let's hope we get it sorted out soon as he's been a revelation since the Worthless Oldham game.

c_block_lad
06-01-2003, 07:34 PM
A quote from Tommy
"They gave me my chance when thing's did'nt work out for me at Arsenal and I love playing for the CLUB and these FANS

Sounds Like he wants to stay to me:p

Ben H
06-01-2003, 07:41 PM
Sounds like he wants to, doesn't mean he will.

What if a premiership club comes in for him, offering him 1st team football, how long do you think the loyalty will last?

pete eagle
06-01-2003, 07:43 PM
pigs would fly before that happened though Ben

What?
06-01-2003, 07:47 PM
What the hells that? "OINK OINK" Its a flying pig!

dangerous Nigel
06-01-2003, 07:55 PM
it's going to be difficult to get TB the contract he wants coming so soon after the loss of ITV digital monies, who to say in a years time 5k a week might be double the average 1st division wage ?, but some stories doing the rounds is that he and Gray are still on 1500 a week, it's hard to get this one right, crystal ball anyone?

TF's brain cell
06-01-2003, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by firesign
The average wage at Palace is 297,000 a year (5,711.53 a week). SJ has said he wants to get that down to 200,000 a year (3,846.15 a week). The average wage for a player in the Division One is currently 175,000 a year (3,365.38 a week).

I don't know what TB is on now, and I want him to stay, but I hope he doesn't get greedy. In the current climate SJ cannot afford to be held to ransom by any player.

After all of the views and thoughts from everyone the way I see it now is like this: -
SJ is obviously quite shrewd and won't want to part with a lot of cash. I can see TB being offered something like the 200,000 a year salary with a performance related bonus. That way he should be geared up enough to carry on and help us push for promotion.

Me hopes......

Walrus
06-01-2003, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by TF's brain cell
After all of the views and thoughts from everyone the way I see it now is like this: -
SJ is obviously quite shrewd and won't want to part with a lot of cash. I can see TB being offered something like the 200,000 a year salary with a performance related bonus. That way he should be geared up enough to carry on and help us push for promotion.

Me hopes......

Sounds like a very good shout to me.

How about : 3k basic. 2k a goal, 1k an assist. ???k lump sum bonus pro-rata'd to final league placing. Not to mention a weekly bonus to be paid every week we're in the Prem....

Chris K
08-01-2003, 08:32 PM
Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere but this is from Sky

Black hands Palace a Warning

Tommy Black wants to open contract talks with Crystal Palace - but warned them he could walk out if a Premiership club wants him.

The former Arsenal midfielder, the PFA Player of the Month for December, has urged the Eagles to start thinking about his future before the end of the season.

But Black, who has scored seven goals in seven games, also warned Trevor Francis that he is keen to get back into top-flight football, with or without Palace.

He told The Standard: "We've not started talking yet but it's something I'd like to get settled. It's getting closer to the end of the season and I'd like it sorted out sooner rather than later. Hopefully the chairman or the gaffer will come and talk to me in the next few weeks.

"If a big club do come in for me and it's good for Palace, then maybe it would be time to move on. Every footballer at this club wants to play in the Premiership and I'm no different.

"Of course I'd listen to offers, but it's up to the club. If they get an offer they can't refuse, then I'd have to look elsewhere. I want to play at the highest level possible and do the best I can."

Palace Palare
08-01-2003, 08:39 PM
Bye Bye Tommy :sob:

pedro
08-01-2003, 08:54 PM
R U Julian in disguise, R U Julian in disguise!

Ben H
08-01-2003, 08:54 PM
If he plays a blinder against the mickey mousers, he could well be off in the summer..

Ralph
09-01-2003, 10:26 AM
The only bits actually said by Tommy Black, once you remove all the typical Sky bullsh!t is this:

Originally posted by Chris K
"We've not started talking yet but it's something I'd like to get settled. It's getting closer to the end of the season and I'd like it sorted out sooner rather than later. Hopefully the chairman or the gaffer will come and talk to me in the next few weeks.

"If a big club do come in for me and it's good for Palace, then maybe it would be time to move on. Every footballer at this club wants to play in the Premiership and I'm no different.

"Of course I'd listen to offers, but it's up to the club. If they get an offer they can't refuse, then I'd have to look elsewhere. I want to play at the highest level possible and do the best I can."

So basically he is saying if Palace get a good offer he may have to leave but he is more than willing to sit down and talk to Jordan and TF. More to the point each paragraph is clearly the answer to a question, cunningly removed by the evervescent journalist to try and prove his point and make his article!!!

rhiannapaul
09-01-2003, 11:16 AM
Have you read SJ comments on Tommy's contract speculation . i reckon he is taking a big gamble. does he not know its a transfer window at the moment ,what sort of message is he sending out to prospecting teams ?
i really think we need to keep him. ::eek:

Jimbo ?
09-01-2003, 11:18 AM
I think tommy wants to stay - and hee will keep playing well if he is still playing for a contract - but i admit i would rather he was signed up long term

Beanie
09-01-2003, 11:19 AM

Where did these figures come from? When talking about his "18 months of pain" SJ said that the wage bill at the begining of the season was 297k per month in total, that included reserves etc. He wanted to get it down to 200k by the end of the season. This would give an average wage of nearer 2000 a week even allowing for the lad on 200 or less.

And on the Sky report - I'm with Ralph. I thought tommy didn't really say anything that we didn't know already. And I feel SJ is right - if TB wants a rise we need to see the performance for the rest of the season, not just for 5 weeks, good as that 5 weeks have been.

GOD
09-01-2003, 11:32 AM
No premiereship team will sign someone because he has had a few good games in the last two months after nothing for two years unless they are desperate... step forward West Ham :)

Bitter
09-01-2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by rhiannapaul
Have you read SJ comments on Tommy's contract speculation . i reckon he is taking a big gamble. does he not know its a transfer window at the moment ,what sort of message is he sending out to prospecting teams ?
i really think we need to keep him. ::eek:
:bash: Once again Simon Jordan demonstrates his total lack of man-management skills. Having apparently stated that he's not prepared to negotiate, he's effectively told the whole squad that their performances count for nothing.
There's no denying that Jordan's money has been a godsend, but his management style stinks. :veryangry

Cleon
09-01-2003, 12:01 PM
Not so sure - it's certainly a gamble, but Jordan wants to make players understand the business realities of post-ITV digital Nationwide football. If a Premiership club wants to offer Tommy a contract, then Jordan knows that he cannot compete from the confines of the Nationwide league. But if not, then Crystal Palace will be able to offer Tommy as lucrative a contract as almost all other Nationwide League clubs.

Tommy has certainly played wonderfully well in the last couple of months, but is that as a result of playing for a contract? Maybe if he's back in his comfort zone, he'll be back as old inconsistent Tommy.

Beanie
09-01-2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Bitter
:bash: Once again Simon Jordan demonstrates his total lack of man-management skills. Having apparently stated that he's not prepared to negotiate, he's effectively told the whole squad that their performances count for nothing.
There's no denying that Jordan's money has been a godsend, but his management style stinks. :veryangry

Can't agree with this. SJ has surely given totally the opposite message - he has said that if TB wants a new deal then he will have to continue to perform. Not so very long ago there was discussion about whether he was worth keeping, now after 5 golden weeks (would YOU expect a pay rise based on 5 weeks in three years?) SJ is saying "that's good - keep it up and we can talk". At the same time he pointing out reality - TB signed a contract on the crest of the financial wave. To expect a rise now when the financial realities are very different is unreasonable. It's not poor man-management to be honest about what any player can expect, it's no good implying that there may be more money when there isn't.

Tommy now knows the score - keep it up and there's a new deal, but no extra money. If he gets a better offer Palace are not in the financial position to enter a bidding war with a Premiership club, but probably already match most Nationwide teams.

It's probably exactly the same for the others out of contract - new deal if the performance warrents it, but not extra money.

Maz
09-01-2003, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Bitter

How do you get so angered reading what he said?

"We're not under a gun. Tommy's been playing well for the last five weeks, but we don't need to rush into anything. He has made progress, but I would like to see that progress continue. It's healthy he's playing for a new contract. "

None of us would surely disagree with this. (Unless you think we should rush into handing out big moolah immediately someone who's been on the payroll a long time starts delivering).

"Maybe his performances merit a better deal, but given he's already relatively well-paid and he signed his contract in an inflated market when the ITV Digital money was available, we have to ask whether the climate merits it at the moment."

This I read as "you might get more TB, but mid-season isn't the time to be making big promises on the basis of five weeks' good work" And what is unreasonable about that either?

Far from saying perfromances count for nothing, it says that what the club needs is consistent performance - otherwise you are just doing your already well-paid job. And that is just good business sense, and not an unreasonable management style either.

nookiebear
09-01-2003, 01:21 PM
does anyone think Black deserves a pay-rise?

Skin Up
09-01-2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by nookiebear
does anyone think Black deserves a pay-rise?

A lot depends on how much he is on compared to Freedman, Adebola and Akinbyi.

Black is of at least equal importance to these guys and deserves to earn the same.

Pure guesswork but I may wager Tommy is the least best payed of the four when you consider we signed him as a Arsenal reserve whilst the other three were established 1st team footballers when we signed them.

spaceman
09-01-2003, 01:28 PM
I think SJ despite having a strong business head definitely is lacking in People skills. I would hate to see some of our top players leave because SJ rubbed them up the wrong way. However I get the impression that Black is very happy at Palace and will hold out until the end of the season.

rhiannapaul
09-01-2003, 01:35 PM
i think Tommy found his real position by accident due to all our injuries, and since he has he has taken off before he was sub alot and usally asked to play on the wing. don't think his run of form is any thing to do with negotiating a new contract.
the one bad game he had last month was because he was marked well by a quality defender. any one know how much he is earns and how much he wants ? Pay the Man :p

henryhallandhisbasque
09-01-2003, 01:39 PM
No doubt he'll be off to Birmingham for about 5!

Planet Palace
09-01-2003, 02:01 PM
I am with SJ on this. Yes it is a strong message but one that is very fair. It is not the case of does Tommy warrent a pay rise, its more one of -can SJ see any value in giving him one. He has a lot of work to do on his game and he needs a club like ours who is willing to give him time and a longish contract.
He has only just started to give us value after very indifferent form on his term with us. I will be sorry to see him go but when you put his form of late to one side he is as good /bad as many in the 1 Div.
I think if you held the purse strings with a limited budget and lots of options you would do the same.

firesign
09-01-2003, 02:06 PM
Beanie - http://www.croydonguardian.co.uk/eagles/display.var.633028.index.0.html

Jordan said: "We have all been paying players too much. The average wage bill among Palace's players is 297,000 per year and I have to get that down to around 200,000 - which is still a very good salary in this division - if we are to stop losing money."

I hope TB stays, but I back SJ on this one (I've criticised him enough on other threads).

Beanie
09-01-2003, 03:34 PM
Beanie - http://www.croydonguardian.co.uk/eagles/display.var.633028.index.0.html

Jordan said: "We have all been paying players too much. The average wage bill among Palace's players is 297,000 per year and I have to get that down to around 200,000 - which is still a very good salary in this division - if we are to stop losing money."

I hope TB stays, but I back SJ on this one (I've criticised him enough on other threads).

I don't read the Croydon Guardian, so I didn't see this. The one I read, possibly the Adder, had it worded the other way round.

Any way, I'm happy to accept your source.

BaldEagle96
09-01-2003, 03:57 PM
Surely when all is said and done if the choice is to have Palace around in 5 years time or Tommy around for another season then one has to go with the former.

If SJ decides that he cannot afford to have Tommy around then so be it. One player does not maketh the club. It will be interesting to see if Tommy even gets in the team once everyone is back from injury. Personally I think he should start - as long as he is playing well still - but it is not my club and I do not know the full ins and outs of the finances of CPFC...

In the meantime though I reckon I will have to just trust that SJ knows what he is doing...

nookiebear
09-01-2003, 04:51 PM
maybe his new contract needs to be performance related - the same as it is now, with a rise in six months if we get promotion or he scores another 8 goals or sets up however many goals

TopKnot
09-01-2003, 05:49 PM
Apologies if a similar thread has already been started.

Basically SJ has said that there is no hurry to offer Tommy a new contract, and he wants to see continued improvement first. In other words Tommy will be playing for his contract.

Is this a good thing? I'm dubious - the recent run of good form will have given Black lots of confidence, and with that may come the belief that other, 'bigger', clubs may be interested in his free signing. If that happens then his performances may depreciate as the season progresses, as he hopes for a bigger pay packet elsewhere.

If he is given a contract now, rather than resting on his laurels, he may try and reward the club's faith by showing his commitment and working harder, optimistic as that sounds.

Also, when Dougie and AJ are fit again, will he get the chances he has recently had to shine in the team? I'm not sure he will.

fieldy
09-01-2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by nookiebear
maybe his new contract needs to be performance related - the same as it is now, with a rise in six months if we get promotion or he scores another 8 goals or sets up however many goals Good point Nookiebear, I think a lot more contracts should be on this basis with lower although still very respectable basics with bigger incentives, thus only rewarding players when they should be i.e. when they are successfull and in theory the club can afford to

freekickuk
12-01-2003, 01:56 PM
black may do better waiting to see if we make the prem league at the end of the season because sj would have a lot more money to play with.

Martian
12-01-2003, 02:39 PM
Supposedly Fulham are now keeping tabs on Black. Dont know how true this is.

sydnsteve
13-01-2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Martian
Supposedly Fulham are now keeping tabs on Black. Dont know how true this is.
That would be bad news, as they will be pretty desperate now, and can flash the cash. I can't wait for this bloody window to close so we can forget about this. Still, it used to be all season long so I suppose there's some improvement.

Parkice
13-01-2003, 02:21 PM
Black swoop eyed - Reports

Fulham could be ready to swoop for Palace winger Tommy Black, as Cottagers boss Jean Tigana looks to strengthen his squad.

Black has been in outstanding form for the Eagles recently but his contract at Selhurst Park runs out this summer - and so far there have been no discussions about a new deal.
That has alerted Tigana, who is desperate to bring in a forward before the end of the month, although the Fulham chief has limited transfer funds available to attract new players to the club's temporary Loftus Road home.
Black joined Palace from Arsenal for £500,000 in July 2000 and has been a regular in an Eagles side which is pushing for promotion this season.
The 26 year-old has scored nine goals in his last nine games, with Trevor Francis' men losing just once in that time.

:grrr:

cpfcben
13-01-2003, 02:31 PM
i can't see black going to fulham

tommy black has done really well of late and if it wasn't for him we would not be doing so well, however before his recent foray into the team he had done absolutely nothing for two years at the club

i think SJ is right to wait to offer black a new contract, hopefully it will encourage him to keep working hard and putting in the good performances!

i can't really see fulham wanting to buy on just a few recent performances

i believe black has bags of ability although it is shame we only seen it on rare occassions during his palace career (when he 1st came and now).
I think he needs to show a high level of consistency to be able prove that he is a top quality player

well done tommy keep it up

:p

jempie
13-01-2003, 02:34 PM
beat me to it parkice!

hope it doesn't happen. coming sj sign him up!

jempie
13-01-2003, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by jempie
beat me to it parkice!

hope it doesn't happen. come on sj sign him up!

ginger eagle
13-02-2003, 03:20 PM
It could be said...Tommy Black is becoming a bit anxious over whether he's going to get his new contract...or is he being sold....NOT BIRMINGHAM CITY??!!

JORDAN...WAKE UP!!!

Beanie
13-02-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by ginger eagle
It could be said...Tommy Black is becoming a bit anxious over whether he's going to get his new contract...or is he being sold....NOT BIRMINGHAM CITY??!!

JORDAN...WAKE UP!!!

Please explain the rush? TB is not going to go to a Nationwide League side and no premiership side can sign him for three months. SJ has time to see how the season pans out, what sort of cash he has to offer a new deal etc etc. It's been made clear enough that not just Black but all those wanting new contracts are playing for their deals, so he should know where he stands.

So the rush is....??????

ginger eagle
13-02-2003, 04:48 PM
ok...Gaffer should'nt rush...but has he noticed on his performance...

glaziers fan
15-02-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by ginger eagle
ok...Gaffer should'nt rush...but has he noticed on his performance...

Speak English please. Do u mean whether Jordan has noticed Black's recent performances? In my opinion, he has been unfairly dropped. He should be re-instated at the expense of Adebola on Sunday

BUNGLE
15-02-2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by glaziers fan
Speak English please. Do u mean

:lux: :moo:

Airdrieonians
16-02-2003, 02:15 PM
Yes.