PDA

View Full Version : Mullins Bid ?

rhiannapaul
09-01-2003, 01:44 PM
just heard SJ rejected a bid for 600,000 for Hayden anyone know who it was from .he would be a big loss

Supa Ol
09-01-2003, 01:45 PM
Whoever it was they were taking the pi$$.

Clapham Grand
09-01-2003, 01:45 PM
Where did you hear that from?

rhiannapaul
09-01-2003, 01:49 PM
it was sent to my mates phone, palace text alert message

MatthewT
09-01-2003, 01:52 PM
600k would not buy his left foot.

Cleon
09-01-2003, 02:00 PM
Sounds like tosh, or somebody being cheeky (like the 200,000 bid for Mullins & Morrison submitted by Millwall when we were in administration).

fieldy
09-01-2003, 02:11 PM
Is it really considering Bowyer's just gone for 500K???
What do think we will realistically get for HM?

Clapham Grand
09-01-2003, 02:13 PM
He's worth at least double that

wedgetail
09-01-2003, 02:14 PM
Leeds were desperate to dump Bowyer who is a free agent in the summer, whereas we want to keep Hayden.

HappyLarry
09-01-2003, 02:29 PM
Jordan reveals Mullins bid

Simon Jordan has revealed Palace have turned down a £600,000 offer for midfielder Hayden Mullins since the transfer window reopened.

Birmingham have been watching the player for some time, and Eagles chairman Jordan turned down a similar bid, apparently tabled by the St Andrews club, last August following Clinton Morrison's transfer.
But Jordan has hinted that the same club have again attempted to land the highly-rated 23-year-old, who can also play in defence.
He said: "We have turned down an offer of £600,000 from the same club. I'll let you decide who it was.
"Contrary to popular belief, we are not a cash-strapped club and we do not have to sell players."
Mullins is much coveted by Palace chief Trevor Francis, who handed the 23-year-old the captaincy this season, and sees him as instrumental to any push for the play-offs this season.

Baz To The D
09-01-2003, 02:32 PM
derisory

The Vicar
09-01-2003, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by HappyLarry

Simon Jordan has revealed Palace have turned down a £600,000 offer for midfielder Hayden Mullins since the transfer window reopened.

Birmingham have been watching the player for some time, and Eagles chairman Jordan turned down a similar bid, apparently tabled by the St Andrews club, last August following Clinton Morrison's transfer.
But Jordan has hinted that the same club have again attempted to land the highly-rated 23-year-old, who can also play in defence.
He said: "We have turned down an offer of £600,000 from the same club. I'll let you decide who it was.
"Contrary to popular belief, we are not a cash-strapped club and we do not have to sell players."
Mullins is much coveted by Palace chief Trevor Francis, who handed the 23-year-old the captaincy this season, and sees him as instrumental to any push for the play-offs this season.

So where are those on these boards who said that Brum were not coming in with a bid for Mullins? Bruce makes my blood boil! Glad SJ told him to take a hike.

ozeagle
09-01-2003, 02:39 PM

EXACTLY...
some of the sh it spun on this board about our financial plight has been unbelievable,
finally SJ, some sense.

:p

ozeagle
09-01-2003, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by fieldy

wasn't it 300k ? a bargain, we should have got him for that !

:eek:

What?
09-01-2003, 02:40 PM
Bruce, What a ****. He is such a dick

Psychokiller
09-01-2003, 02:42 PM
I wish that bent nosed **** and his dirty whore Brady would leave our club alone!

firesign
09-01-2003, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by ozeagle
EXACTLY...
some of the sh it spun on this board about our financial plight has been unbelievable,
finally SJ, some sense.

:p

Indeed - I wonder what those who have welcomed SJ's decision to charge some Palace fans 11 more to watch the same game from the same seats as other Palace fans will make of this interesting snippet of information?

*** and 600k is a joke!

GreatGonzo
09-01-2003, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by The Vicar
So where are those on these boards who said that Brum were not coming in with a bid for Mullins? Bruce makes my blood boil! Glad SJ told him to take a hike.

Didn't SJ also once tell them to take a hike with a 5m bid for Morrison?

Guess Hayden will go to St Andrews for about 400,000 soon then! ;)

Samo*
09-01-2003, 02:44 PM
Good to here that we dont need to sell sell sell

09-01-2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by firesign
Indeed - I wonder what those who have welcomed SJ's decision to charge some Palace fans 11 more to watch the same game from the same seats as other Palace fans will make of this interesting snippet of information?
Very well I'd have thought. If an 11 hike in prices is all it takes to be able to turn down a scum offer like this - bring on some more.

BVB Bob
09-01-2003, 02:50 PM
Interestingly, a fairly reliable source of mine say it wasn't Brum. Apparantly it was from another former Palace manager. You know, the other one - about as popular as Bruce, but managing in Yorkshire

wedgetail
09-01-2003, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by BVB Bob
about as popular as Bruce,
I must take issue, much less popular even than Bruce.

Jimbo ?
09-01-2003, 03:10 PM
hope we dont lose him for nothing in the summer now though!

Maidstoned Eagle
09-01-2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by fieldy

It was 300,000 and its only until the end of this season.

And speaking as one of the people who said that Mullins won't be going to Brum....he's still here isn't he?

What?
09-01-2003, 03:12 PM
It could well have been Leeds, with Bowyer and Dacourt going, and it was TV that put Mullins in the first team.

Dobbo
09-01-2003, 03:17 PM
Brumscum's owner said they had put in about twelve bids for players and would deal on a first come first served basis. What a very strange way to strengthen a team. Division One and receivership beckons :p

ozeagle
09-01-2003, 03:23 PM
bottom line is, we won't be buying, nor selling anyone.
end of story.

Beanie
09-01-2003, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by ozeagle
bottom line is, we won't be buying, nor selling anyone.
end of story.

I'd be quite happy with that.

I also still doubt this bid came from Birmingham, even though many people seem to assumes it did.

rhiannapaul
09-01-2003, 03:45 PM
Hayden, tommy and gray will all want a move if we don't get up , at least 4mil for Hayden,if was Leeds then 10 mil !!!! Venners make him pay
what about a player plus cash ......can we have Nigel back! :p

BaldEagle96
09-01-2003, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by The Vicar
So where are those on these boards who said that Brum were not coming in with a bid for Mullins

I'm still here... We do not know when this offer was made. As Bruce announced yesterday that he was signing two new players (one midfielder and one defender) I will stick by what I said yesterday that this will mean he is no longer in the market for Hayden....

Maidstoned Eagle
09-01-2003, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by rhiannapaul
Hayden, tommy and gray will all want a move if we don't get up , at least 4mil for Hayden,if was Leeds then 10 mil !!!! Venners make him pay
what about a player plus cash ......can we have Nigel back! :p

Can see where you're coming from with that, but a 36 year old goalkeeper, coming to the end of his career being a good swap for a future England midfielder in his early twenties? Nah.

Dave
09-01-2003, 03:57 PM
Isn't this report from TeamTalk?

Anyone seen it elsewhere?

budgie
09-01-2003, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Psychokiller
I wish that bent nosed **** and his dirty whore Brady would leave our club alone!

What goes around, comes around, it'd be great if we can get promotion this season, and see the Brum get relegated, and then go knocking on Bruces door, offering pitiful sums for there better players.

Flappy Chicken
09-01-2003, 04:29 PM
Sadly IMO I think HM will be off. Obviously, 600k is the first shot in the dark. Unfortunately, they have money to spend and will increase the offer. They managed to get Jamie Clapham and Stephen Clemence at 1.5m.

I think old big nose is just testing the water, I'd expect a follow up offer shortly, shame really because look what has happened to CM since he went. Another waste of talent that will end up on the bench now they have bought Dugarry (sp?). I can't see MH sitting on the bench at Brum.

Lets hope Jordan is telling the truth about the money and get the contacts sorted for TB and HM sooner rather than later.

Clapham Grand
09-01-2003, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by firesign

Fine with me - if the extra income from the Cup game means we can turn down joke bids like this

Jaffa
09-01-2003, 04:46 PM
A word or two with his good friend CM will surely dissuade HM from flying the nest upto Brum land.

Dave
09-01-2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Jaffa
A word or two with his good friend CM will surely dissuade HM from flying the nest upto Brum land.

Leeds isn't near Brum?

dangerous Nigel
09-01-2003, 06:02 PM
Top man SJ, what about 500k cash and Morrison as a makeweight for 100k, see who's taking the p#ss then?

BUNGLE
09-01-2003, 06:13 PM
Cheeky bastards. :hi:

Ridcully
09-01-2003, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Jimbo ?
hope we dont lose him for nothing in the summer now though!

Why? I thought he has 18 months to run on his contract.

john darling
09-01-2003, 07:01 PM
Mullins, when focused, is a premier league player. 600k for him is robbery.
Why did Jordan make the info public though? To show we don't have to sell or start an auction.

Gollum
09-01-2003, 07:31 PM
To confirm, HM has 18 months to go on his contract.

Brett
09-01-2003, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by john darling

Why did Jordan make the info public though?

To show we don't have to sell or start an auction.

You just answered your own question.

Jordan is obviously looking to get shot of Mullins.

He only mentions bids recieved to start a bidding war. Look at the Morrison deal and his attempts to oust Gray last season.

Hang The DJ
09-01-2003, 07:47 PM
I'm delighted the bid has been turned down but I think a few people need a dose of reality here.

We are talking about a player who has never played at the top level and is prone to quite severe and costly lapses in concentration in Div One. Yes he is playing some of the best football of his career in recent weeks but I'm afraid in this market I cannot see us getting anything more than 1m.

When I see Middlesboro offering 3m for Christie and Riggott, two players with a combined value of around 15m only 12m ago, it puts the whole transfer marketplace in perspective.

I think he is a better player than Clapham and Clemence but the fact is both have played in the Premiership, the former in a team that 18 months ago finished 5th.

cpfcben
09-01-2003, 09:04 PM
i hope he doesn't go!

hopefully he will get the chance with palace next season in the premiership

and then he can show everyone what a real class act he is!!!!

hayden is prone to the odd error, however i think that is because he becomes a bit too complacent

i think playing at a higher level will improve his game no end, hopefully the future is bright for both palace and hayden (together)

Ben H
09-01-2003, 09:10 PM

Still pumping the money in then Simon.

Or have you had enough?:confused:

African Eagle
10-01-2003, 07:42 AM
According to Planetfootball, Mullins' agent knows nothing about this supposed bid.

Teamtalk talking trash or (for the conspiracy theorists) Jordan preparing the market ?

http://www.planetfootball.com/article.asp?id=126991&plid=&clid=&cpid=&title=No+Mullins+bid+-+agent

Cleon
10-01-2003, 09:02 AM
The first thing I thought when I saw SJ remarks was 'why is he saying this', and is he just putting Mullins in the window?

I will be very happy when this transfer window thing closes, and we can get on with playing football, and not worrying about losing our best players. Try buying a 23 year old box to box midfielder, committed to Crystal Palace, with something over 250 first team appearances in division one. If there is anybody out there meeting those credentials, how much would you need to buy them? A hell of a lot more than 1m - I doubt you would get change from 5m. Time to sign Hayden up on a seven year deal methinks.

Feather
10-01-2003, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by African Eagle
According to Planetfootball, Mullins' agent knows nothing about this supposed bid.

Teamtalk talking trash or (for the conspiracy theorists) Jordan preparing the market ?

http://www.planetfootball.com/article.asp?id=126991&plid=&clid=&cpid=&title=No+Mullins+bid+-+agent

His agent clearly states that he knows nothing about a Birmingham bid.

budgie
10-01-2003, 09:26 AM
The thing that frustrates me about this deal, is if it is Venables that wants Mullins, he seems to have changes his transfer policy. When he was at Palace the rule seemed to be buy them in expensivley, and sell them cheap, I know he's let Bowyer and Dacourt leave, but if he really wants Mullins, 600k is no where near the price.

Oz_da_Eagle
10-01-2003, 09:51 AM
Me thinks it's just Bruce trying to distract us from our promotion challenge. Ignore this bar steward and concentrate on playing football.

It's going to be oh so sweet waving to Mr. Bruce and his butt munkees on our road to the premiership when they get relegated to where they belong and we achieve promotion.

sydnsteve
10-01-2003, 10:12 AM
According to the Guardian the bid was from Brum, and was turned down because Palace want twice that amount, not because they are not considering selling. Personally I think this is the crunch for Mr Flash. If he does not sell I will believe that he is serious about trying for promotion, if he does sell we are severely cash strapped. Remember there is a couple of hundred grand from the Liverpool game (assuming I can ever get my tickets, since phone and internet are not being successful), that was not budgeted for now in the kitty. I think Mullins is a class act, is now playing beautifully, I think he'd be my player of the season, and is our one and only creative midfielder. If we sell him I think it will make it highly unlikely that we will make the play-offs. How can SJ say to TF get a play off place if he sells our best players? It is all very well people saying there should be a dose of reality, but SJ cannot have his cake and eat it too. If he is in trouble to the extent that he has to sell players, that's fine, but then don't expect the manager to get a play-off spot.
My feeling is that Mullins will go if the bid is increased, but truly hope I am wrong on this.

Dave
10-01-2003, 10:19 AM
I estimate we will get something like

275k TV money
350k Gate recipts
40k FA money

for the pool game

Gark Moldberg
10-01-2003, 12:30 PM
Dave, is your gate receipts figure profit on staging the game or purely the gate income? If it is the latter it is too low. Even 26,000 paying only 20 each is 520k.

Cleon
10-01-2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Gark Moldberg
Dave, is your gate receipts figure profit on staging the game or purely the gate income? If it is the latter it is too low. Even 26,000 paying only 20 each is 520k.

Gate receipts get split with Liverpool...

The Vicar
10-01-2003, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Cleon
The first thing I thought when I saw SJ remarks was 'why is he saying this', and is he just putting Mullins in the window?

I will be very happy when this transfer window thing closes, and we can get on with playing football, and not worrying about losing our best players. Try buying a 23 year old box to box midfielder, committed to Crystal Palace, with something over 250 first team appearances in division one. If there is anybody out there meeting those credentials, how much would you need to buy them? A hell of a lot more than 1m - I doubt you would get change from 5m. Time to sign Hayden up on a seven year deal methinks.

exactly.

The Vicar
10-01-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by sydnsteve
According to the Guardian the bid was from Brum, and was turned down because Palace want twice that amount, not because they are not considering selling. Personally I think this is the crunch for Mr Flash. If he does not sell I will believe that he is serious about trying for promotion, if he does sell we are severely cash strapped. Remember there is a couple of hundred grand from the Liverpool game (assuming I can ever get my tickets, since phone and internet are not being successful), that was not budgeted for now in the kitty. I think Mullins is a class act, is now playing beautifully, I think he'd be my player of the season, and is our one and only creative midfielder. If we sell him I think it will make it highly unlikely that we will make the play-offs. How can SJ say to TF get a play off place if he sells our best players? It is all very well people saying there should be a dose of reality, but SJ cannot have his cake and eat it too. If he is in trouble to the extent that he has to sell players, that's fine, but then don't expect the manager to get a play-off spot.
My feeling is that Mullins will go if the bid is increased, but truly hope I am wrong on this.

I agree with all the above with the exception of the last line. My feeling is that he will stay.

Beanie
10-01-2003, 02:02 PM
I hope Hayden stays, but I think that if the offer gets above 1m, and certainly if it were to reach 1.5m the temptation may prove too much. As said above Malcolm Christie and Chris Riggott are being touted at 1.5m each, both current U21 internationals. Hayden can't be worth more than them. Olivier Dacourt, current full french international goes for around 4m (6m euro).

If that sort of offer were accepted I don't think it would prove a shortness of cash - just "an offer you can't refuse". On the other hand if an offer much over 1m were turned down I'd say it would put to bed any cash concerns for a while.

Gerry from Sussex
10-01-2003, 07:05 PM
Like it or not, the reality is that anything up for sale is only worth what people are prepared to pay. So. whatever we might think, Mullins is only worth 1m plus if a club makes that kind of offer. So, far no one has and, personally, I doubt that they will. Surely there are no Nationwide clubs looking to spend that sort of sum at the moment and the Premiership clubs who are have a pretty big pool to choose from and Mullins is not that seriously good that they are likley to be queing up!

Celestial Empire
10-01-2003, 11:31 PM
Perfect avatar mate.
What is Hayden worth to Palace ? As Cleon has pointed out, well over 1m on replacement value. SJ is a deal junkie. These days his ardor for Palace may be flagging, but he loves dealing. So he may well sell for the best offer - although this is less than the value of HM to the team. All TF can do is look a bit glummer.
As for Riggott & Christie - started playing well for a new manager in the Prem, at the tail end of last season. Doesn't prove much. (They haven't done much this year). Leon McKenzie comes to mind. Derby are in distress selling mode. SJ may itch to cash in his chips (who knows ?), but he AIN'T in distress selling mode.
Press say we should make upwards of 0.75m from the 'Pool game.

Batsta
15-01-2003, 12:15 PM
We need Hayden to stay. Im not ruling out finishing 2nd this year!!

sydnsteve
15-01-2003, 04:52 PM
This from Teamtalk:

Hayden Mullins has admitted he would be happy to join Birmingham if Crystal Palace accept an offer for his services from Steve Bruce's side.
Blues boss Steve Bruce is a big fan of Mullins from his time at Selhurst Park but failed in a 600,000 swoop for the versatile star, who has 16 months left on his current contract, last week.
And, while being happy to stay with the in-form Eagles, 23-year-old Mullins admits he would be very tempted to join former Palace team-mate Clinton Morrison in the Midlands if Palace are prepared to let him go.
He said: "The gaffer let me know that there was a bid made and said it wasn't quite enough for the club.
"I enjoy playing for Palace and I am more than happy to stay here and try to win promotion this season. The deal has to be right for the club and I understand that.
"Birmingham are in the Premier League, which is the right place to be, and if I had to leave then I would go there.
"It's a step up, Clinton is there and I have worked under Steve Bruce before, but the bid was rejected, so I will just keep going for Palace."
He added in the Croydon Guardian: "There is a lot of time left in the month but I know they have signed a few players so whether he [Bruce] is going to come back in for me I don't know."
Bruce has already signed Christophe Dugarry, Ferdinand Coly, Jamie Clapham and Stephen Clemence during the opening of the January transfer window but is keen to strengthen his squad further as he bids to keep Blues in the top-flight.

It sounds to me like SJ is waiting for an increased bid, and clearly if one comes in then he will accept it. I find this infinitely depressing, as Mullins is all we have in midfield, and who the hell would cover for Powell. This has all the hallmarks of the Clinton saga, and just as I was about to believe The Vicar that Hayden would not be going.

fieldy
15-01-2003, 05:29 PM
He said: "The gaffer let me know that there was a bid made and said it wasn't quite enough for the club.

Goodbye Hayden!:hi: :sob: :sob: :sob:

I read in the SLP yesterday a quote from SJ that he wouldn't let Hayden go unless he could get someone in as good or better to replace him! :eek:

PeterH
15-01-2003, 05:49 PM
It sounds to me like SJ is waiting for an increased bid, and clearly if one comes in then he will accept it. I find this infinitely depressing, as Mullins is all we have in midfield, and who the hell would cover for Powell. This has all the hallmarks of the Clinton saga, and just as I was about to believe The Vicar that Hayden would not be going.

Sum up my feelings if he went as well.

pete eagle
15-01-2003, 05:53 PM
Bruce won't buy him now, he's buying Vittek. After that, i think that will be it for him. Gold and Sullivan don't have infinite amounts of money, and the sum that SJ wants is likely to be above 1m, probably closer to 2m.
I would be surprised if he went now

Gark Moldberg
15-01-2003, 05:58 PM
I would expect (hope) that someone is purchased first otherwise teams will know how much we've got to spend and we'll be fleeced.

limited_edition
15-01-2003, 06:03 PM
Hopefully, in seeing how Morrison has struggled in the top flight, it might put Bruce off buying an inconsistent 1st Div player like Mullins.

pedro
15-01-2003, 07:07 PM
As far as the team is concerned, Mullins will be a far bigger loss than Morrison. He can play in a variety of positions, he is our captain and leader on the pitch, and when he has one of his better games (which lately has been quite often) he is the best player on the park. Whether we sell him now or at the end of the season I wouldn't expect the fee to be that much different, surely SJ is not that desperate for cash that he would disrupt what is a very good chance of us gaining promotion this season. Let us hope not. :(

freekickuk
15-01-2003, 07:11 PM
he will stay sj wants 2 million plus for mullins blues can't afford much more money

The Vicar
16-01-2003, 04:02 AM
Originally posted by pedro
As far as the team is concerned, Mullins will be a far bigger loss than Morrison. He can play in a variety of positions, he is our captain and leader on the pitch, and when he has one of his better games (which lately has been quite often) he is the best player on the park. Whether we sell him now or at the end of the season I wouldn't expect the fee to be that much different, surely SJ is not that desperate for cash that he would disrupt what is a very good chance of us gaining promotion this season. Let us hope not. :(

Spot on.

I was concerned by Hayden's comments in the Croydon Advertiser. Makes you wonder whether he's more interested in playing for Bruce than Francis.

Nevertheless, let's think positive! He's doing to stay! I hope....

Gooders
16-01-2003, 05:56 AM
If Brum bid 1million I think he'll be gone.

3 months ago I wouldn't have been bothered but the way he's played recently, he would be a big loss.

Is the Cameroon guy his potential replacement?

We hear a lot from people who claim to know what is in Clintons mind about how much he hates it at Brum and how he would be sure to persuade Hayden not to go there, and now we hear soundbytes from Mullins himself to the effect that he would be happy to make the move.

Just proves once again to me that you have to take everything you read on the BBS with a pinch of salt.

Time will tell, no doubt.

:(

mikestock
16-01-2003, 08:46 AM
The Sun today says Brimingham are about to make an improved offer for hayden.

If we sell then I think that says we are in serious trouble financially. We would have to sign two players to replace him and maintian the quality of the squad. So getting rid of him doesn't make sense. Just have to wait and see won't we.

BaldEagle96
16-01-2003, 09:07 AM
I must admit I would have hoped that all this talk of Hayden going to Brum would have gone by now - what with them already signing so many players.

The fact that it is still around and reading what Hayden says in the local paper makes me think that it is only a quesion of days before he has gone up the road to join them.

His quotes in the paper were pretty honest and he was only saying what he really ought to be saying. I am sure he wants to play in the Premiership as do most footballers and he is cerainly good enough. He would be a massive loss for us due to the fact that he can play very very well in more than one position. Not many can do that - which in itself must make his value more than 1m.

All I can hope for at the moment is that he will still be with us at the end of the month. If not then let's at least hope he is still there this Saturday so we can say our goodbyes..:sob:

Palace Don
16-01-2003, 09:10 AM
Umm, interesting... I think the trial player might be one replacement, and also we will sell Mullins to Birmingham in a player exchange thus only getting a paltry sum for him. ie. Mullins for 1M plus Damien Johnson or Brian whatshisname...

If Birmingham buy again (Mullins) then surely they have to start offloading some excess baggage to counter the rise in wage bill?

Palace Don
16-01-2003, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by BaldEagle96

His quotes in the paper were pretty honest and he was only saying what he really ought to be saying. I am sure he wants to play in the Premiership as do most footballers and he is cerainly good enough. He would be a massive loss for us due to the fact that he can play very very well in more than one position. Not many can do that - which in itself must make his value more than 1m.

Its just a shame the likes of Morrison and Mullins only aspire to playing for a team which will probably be in the First division within a year and a half.

pedro
16-01-2003, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Palace Don
Umm, interesting... I think the trial player might be one replacement, and also we will sell Mullins to Birmingham in a player exchange thus only getting a paltry sum for him. ie. Mullins for 1M plus Damien Johnson or Brian whatshisname...

Knowing us we will part exchange him for Ferdinand Coly, the only player in the Premiership that appears to be worse than Traore of Liverpool.

cpfcben
16-01-2003, 12:28 PM
can't see him going to brum
as it looks like birmingham are gonna bring in two new players

Blues close in on duo ^top
Birmingham are in talks with Marseille and Slovan Bratislava as they aim to seal the double capture of Piotr Swierczewski and Robert Vittek.
If manager Steve Bruce can agree deals with both clubs, it will take to six the number of players he has signed during this month's brief transfer window.
Poland international midfielder Swierczewski, 30, who is training with Birmingham this week, has claimed he has already agreed personal terms and the move is now dependant on City finalising the switch - initially to be on-loan - with French club Marseille.
Bruce will also meet representatives from Slovan next week to finalise a six-month loan deal for 20-year-old Vittek, who was on trial with the club last week. Slovakian international Vittek has scored 12 goals for Slovan this season.
Bruce has already signed Ferdinand Coly, Christophe Dugarry, Stephen Clemence and Jamie Clapham since New Year's Day.
Birmingham are also still hoping that Arsenal defender Matthew Upson may yet decide he wants to leave Highbury, though it appears that will not be until the summer at the earliest.

i hope haydens performances don't suddenly go down hill, especailly after the comments he has made!!
i cannot see him getting into their team anyway, as bruce likes pure fighters in the centre of midfield like savage and cisse

but you never know

Cleon
16-01-2003, 12:35 PM
Birmingham seem to be taking one hell of a risk on with all these players. If they do go down they're going to be in big big trouble.

I'm disappointed with Hayden's comments, but he's only being honest. I can't think of one player in the first division that I'd rather have for us in midfield than Hayden Mullins. If we sell him, then the message is that we might as well give up hope of being a decent Premiership team. If all the Liverpool game gives us is the ability to hold onto Mullins, then I'd be a happy man.

Bartman
16-01-2003, 12:55 PM
If we make 750k from the Liverpool game, I would hope, as has been mentioned, that we sit down with some of our more productive players and thrash out new contracts. I wonder if Julian and Hayden would be on their respective ways had we not beaten Blackpool?

Beanie
16-01-2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by mikestock
The Sun today says Brimingham are about to make an improved offer for hayden.

If we sell then I think that says we are in serious trouble financially. We would have to sign two players to replace him and maintian the quality of the squad. So getting rid of him doesn't make sense. Just have to wait and see won't we.

I'd say that if we were in serious financial trouble we would have sold for 600k, couldn't afford to turn that down on the off chance of getting more.

If the offer reaches 1m Mullins could be on his way, and with the present level of prices at not a bad price for a good but rather inconsistant Div 1 player, which is what he is if you look at the longer term view, not just what he has done in the last few months.

yorkshire eagle
16-01-2003, 01:50 PM
must admit (and i carnt believe ime saying this:eek: ) but looking at trevors transfers you have to trust him. bryan hughes carnt go to leicester cos of a transfer imbargo what about mullings for 1m and hughes and if this bakai is anygood him on a free 2 players for the price of one.:p now ime not saying i want him to go but if sj thinks hes got a offer he can not refuse then lets make the best of it.;) :bash: :bash:

mikestock
16-01-2003, 02:06 PM
Two players for theprice of one interms of tranfers costs but not wages.

do you think we can get a decent midfielder (good enough to get into the team) and a good centre half (capable of covering for powell, symons and popovic ie playing at least half the games a season) for the wages hayden is on? I doubt he is on a really large contract

sydnsteve
16-01-2003, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Beanie
I'd say that if we were in serious financial trouble we would have sold for 600k, couldn't afford to turn that down on the off chance of getting more.

If the offer reaches 1m Mullins could be on his way, and with the present level of prices at not a bad price for a good but rather inconsistant Div 1 player, which is what he is if you look at the longer term view, not just what he has done in the last few months.

So the manager has to be given time, but not the players? He has been consistently good over the past weeks, despite still being switched from midfield to defence.
I think he is our only creative midfielder, and battles and covers in defence. To sell him when we are playing well and bring a new player in his place would be a big gamble. Let's hope it pays off if that is what happens.

And Brum's other signings are irrelevant in terms of their taking Hayden or not, as these signings were all in progress when the bid for Mullins was made.

cpfcben
16-01-2003, 03:39 PM
bryan hughes is a completely different type of midfield player to that of mullins.

hughes couldn't tackle a sandwich let alone anyone in midfield
he is more a kirovski type player, eg black gray routlege freedman could all play behind the front two

mullins is a far more complete player in terms of tackling passing and scoring

i seem to remember in his second season (in the 1st team)in midfield, him scoring 12 goals from midfield. i am sure he could easily repeat this if he could be allowed to play in centre midfiled every week!

however his ability to play in different positions makes him invaluable

hughes (and some bloke from cameroon) for mullins, i don't think so!!!

Beanie
16-01-2003, 04:58 PM
And Brum's other signings are irrelevant in terms of their taking Hayden or not, as these signings were all in progress when the bid for Mullins was made.

Oh? David Gold, as they announced the first of their deals said that they had "a number of other offers with clubs, some of which we hope to turn into signings".

Since then they have signed Clapham and Clemence. The Mullins offer - assuming it came from Birmingham, which is being assumed but not certain - would probably have been one of the others they had out. Although he didn't say it, Gold certainly implied he wasn't going to sign everybody he had made offers for, so whether or not they sign Mullins is very likley to be effcted by the deals they have closed and the remaining funds.

Beanie
16-01-2003, 05:05 PM
So the manager has to be given time, but not the players? He has been consistently good over the past weeks, despite still being switched from midfield to defence.
I think he is our only creative midfielder, and battles and covers in defence. To sell him when we are playing well and bring a new player in his place would be a big gamble. Let's hope it pays off if that is what happens.

I don't understand this at all. What does the bit about the manager mean? What I amsaying is that Mullins is an inconsistant player taken over his career, It is true he ius having a good run at the moment, but it hardly the basis for a major bid yet. Any manager buying him would be taking a risk as to which Mullins he would get, and for that reason, given the financial realities, a bid of 1m or more COULD be "to good to refuse".

I agree with waht you say about Mullins recent form and ability and from a playing point of view it would be best to keep him at the club. It would also be nice if such things were decided purely on what happens on the pitch, but at present for about 85 of the 92 clubs what happens at the bank is equally, if not more important.

sydnsteve
16-01-2003, 05:22 PM
I don't understand this at all. What does the bit about the manager mean? What I amsaying is that Mullins is an inconsistant player taken over his career, It is true he ius having a good run at the moment, but it hardly the basis for a major bid yet. Any manager buying him would be taking a risk as to which Mullins he would get, and for that reason, given the financial realities, a bid of 1m or more COULD be "to good to refuse".

I agree with waht you say about Mullins recent form and ability and from a playing point of view it would be best to keep him at the club. It would also be nice if such things were decided purely on what happens on the pitch, but at present for about 85 of the 92 clubs what happens at the bank is equally, if not more important.
I would agree that Mullins has been incosistent over the last 18 months, but before that he had a very good period, and he is now beginning to fulfill his potential, partly I believe by getting the captain's armband.
It just seems to me that if SJ is serious about wanting promotion, as I assume he must be, then you don't sell one of your best players just as the team is settling into a good run. Especially when you have just received about 500,000 that you were not counting on. Palace are doing well at present, and I think it would be foolish to suppose that Mullins could be replaced.

Highway Star
16-01-2003, 09:18 PM
I'm sorry if i'm a bit behind here and i'm sorry about the language, but i have only just read that Ugly C*nt has bid 600,000 for Mullins. What the **** does the bent nosed w***er think he is doing, 600,000 is an insult for a first division player that he believes has the ability to play in the premier league.

I know the financial stuff is all down to SJ not wanting to sink any more of his own money into the club, but he should now sit down with HM and give him a vastly improved contract and then let it be known that he will not sell to brum even for 2 or 3 million.

The contempt for SJ in gangland brum seems to know no bounds and it's time that all the tough words over Uglygate actually were put into action. The offer is an insult and all business with these fcuking ar$eholes should be a thing of the past. I'm quite sure on current form Hayden can play in the prem and his chance will come. Anyway at Uglyc*nt HQ with all his recent signings, the chances of 1st team football will be limited(ain't that so Jovan),so wait till the end of the season Hayden old son.

Mullins has been as consistent as a young emerging player could be over the first few years of his football career. When you realise he has had four different Chairmen(inc Admin guy), 6 managers(inc. SK & Bully)in 4 years and rarely plays a whole game in one position, yet alone a string of games, i'm amazed at how consistent he has managed to be.

How good a player he can really be is something i think we will only find out when he is gone. As long as it's not to brum when he does go then i wish him well.

Who the **** do they think they are??????:veryangry :veryangry :veryangry :veryangry

Celestial Empire
17-01-2003, 11:56 AM
Oh? David Gold, as they announced the first of their deals said that they had "a number of other offers with clubs, some of which we hope to turn into signings".

Since then they have signed Clapham and Clemence. The Mullins offer - assuming it came from Birmingham, which is being assumed but not certain - would probably have been one of the others they had out. Although he didn't say it, Gold certainly implied he wasn't going to sign everybody he had made offers for, so whether or not they sign Mullins is very likley to be effcted by the deals they have closed and the remaining funds.

Bruce would have a laugh by bidding for a Palace player and creating a bit of stress, whatever his plans, it's all part of his revenge for SJ outting him. After Arsenal he looked totally demoralised, (noted by the commentators). You could almost hear him thinking : what's my contingency if this whole thing goes pear-shaped ?
He certainly hasn't convinced yet as a Prem manager, and if he eventually goes Gold will not be too pleased :rolleyes: ;)

TC EAGLE
17-01-2003, 03:28 PM
Powells out for 2 months following a hernia problem so I don't think Hayden will go before the window shuts, Francis needs him as cover.

pedro
17-01-2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Celestial Empire
it's all part of his revenge for SJ outting him.

:eek: I never would have guessed, no wonder SJ had him on flower arranging leave. :D

The Vicar
18-01-2003, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by cpfcben
bryan hughes is a completely different type of midfield player to that of mullins.

hughes couldn't tackle a sandwich let alone anyone in midfield
he is more a kirovski type player, eg black gray routlege freedman could all play behind the front two

mullins is a far more complete player in terms of tackling passing and scoring

i seem to remember in his second season (in the 1st team)in midfield, him scoring 12 goals from midfield. i am sure he could easily repeat this if he could be allowed to play in centre midfiled every week!

however his ability to play in different positions makes him invaluable

hughes (and some bloke from cameroon) for mullins, i don't think so!!!

exactement

Gollum
18-01-2003, 12:43 AM
I guess the most vulnerable time for a Mullins sale might be after we've played Liverpool. If we've lost, Jordan might cash in, particularly if Hayden puts in a good performance and receives interest.
I think we can assume he will be us at least until that game is over.

BaldEagle96
18-01-2003, 06:15 AM
Well the way I am feeling at the moment I am just glad that today is Saturday and Hayden is still with us...

We are now more than half way through January and no one has gone YET!! Fingers crossed for the rest of the month...

pedro
20-01-2003, 10:13 AM
It has just been reported on Sky Sports that Birmingham hope to complete the signing of Matthew Upson in the next 48 hours. So hopefully this will be the end of the Mullins rumour and we can get on with trying to secure a play off place. :p

Phil O'Sophical
20-01-2003, 10:21 PM
Karren Brady was saying on Sky earlier that they were after Upson and a midfield player. This has been posted on Ananova so hopefully Mullins is off the shopping list

Bruce set for talks with Poland captain

Birmingham are closing in on a deal to sign Marseille midfielder Piotr Swierczewski.

Steve Bruce is scheduled to meet representatives of Swierczewski in the next 24 hours to discuss personal terms.

The Poland captain is expected to initially join on loan for the rest of the season.

Slovakian striker Robert Vittek is also due back at City for a second trial this week.

Bruce wants to sign the Slovan Bratislava player on loan with the option of making the deal permanent in the summer.

Story filed: 18:11 Monday 20th January 2003

rhiannapaul
21-01-2003, 10:27 AM
hope birmingham after splashing all that cash go down

Clapham Grand
21-01-2003, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by pedro
It has just been reported on Sky Sports that Birmingham hope to complete the signing of Matthew Upson in the next 48 hours. So hopefully this will be the end of the Mullins rumour and we can get on with trying to secure a play off place. :p

It looks like Upson may go to Leeds as a replacement for Woodgate

Simon Sansom
21-01-2003, 11:02 AM
Hello All

This is my first post on here, I too hate Bruce the judas, but it is refreshing to see us not selling players, its the worst possible message to give the rest of the team. But saying that everyone has a price....