James
07-10-2000, 09:43 PM
So - who expected THAT today?

Brett
07-10-2000, 09:44 PM
HHmm - bet you close my thread http://www.cpfc.org/ubb/wink.gif

James
07-10-2000, 09:47 PM
It's gone mate! You just came second... sorry.

So, what does everyone think about the timing - four daye before the second qualifying game.

Chobham Eagle
07-10-2000, 09:58 PM
In the last five minutes on the Sky phone-in both of those Palace old boys Terry Venables and George Graham have been mentioned as replacements - god help us. Who's that former England winger with the Palace connection who's currently out of work?

By the way - did anyone else think that the jeering during the German anthem was an absolute disgrace? I'm glad those that did it had a rotten afternoon.

Brett
07-10-2000, 10:00 PM
Should've gone after Euro 2000.

We were excellent against France, with Barry excellent at left back. We were creative and had bodies in midfield, which was stark contrast to Euro 2000.

So obviously today we went back to Euro 2000, were rigid disjointed and sterile. Neville and Le Saux are absolute jokes for full backs, they lack vision and flexibilty.

We were overrun in the first half in midfield, prob due to Keegan naively announcing the team a day before the Germans. The Germans had time to re-adjust and won the game tactically even though we were better on paper.

Owen is not 90 minute material at this level ad Dyer surely looks the only option at right back. Seaman has been past it since Euro 96. Only he could watch Hamann shoot from 40 yards then decide to move after the ball had travelled 39 yards.

Watching Your on Sky Sports, its laughable the names being put forward. Only one English coach can be selected from what is available - Glenn Hoddle.

But he wont get it so I look, albeit with great grievance to Europe for a coach.

And the FA should now take a close look at our pathetic regime for grooming coaches.

Ooops I forgot - Peter Taylor.

Its a pathetic indictment of English football when we only have two suitable English born candidates to manage the national team.

John 24
07-10-2000, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Chobham Eagle:
[B]Who's that former England winger with the Palace connection who's currently out of work?
B]

http://www.cpfc.org/ubb/smile.gif dream on

Good news that Keegans gone, as much as I liked the bloke he didn't have a clue.

BUT - The original tw@t Howard Wilkinson will end up in charge for Wednesdays game http://www.cpfc.org/ubb/mad.gif

AND - How does Seaman keep playing ahead of Martyn???

James
07-10-2000, 10:02 PM
What about Ferguson or Wenger? Does it have to be an English Manager?

John 24
07-10-2000, 10:05 PM
Brett, couldn't agree more - Hoddle and Taylor are the only possible contenders of the English bunch. But it's the FA and they don't know what they're doing so it could be anyone.

Q - WHY did Keegan change the side that drew with the best team in the world???

John 24
07-10-2000, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by James:
What about Ferguson or Wenger? Does it have to be an English Manager?

NO

Why should it be? the next man should be picked on ability and NOT nationality.

Brett
07-10-2000, 10:07 PM
No James it doesnt, but dont you agree that it is a sad day when England cannot name a countryman for the job.

We should not feel the need to look abroad but because we suffer from a cancerous inward looking arrogant attitude that English ideas are best, we have been left behind in football generally.

Its not a contemporary thing, this has plagued us since the 1920's.

John 24
07-10-2000, 10:11 PM
Bookies top 3:

4-1 Terry Venables
6-1 Peter Taylor
7-1 John Gregory

Goldberg Basher
07-10-2000, 10:14 PM
Thinking in reverse to you lot how about seeing Kevin at Selhurst Park? Agree that the England job should go to the best qualified and able to judge the international competition. I really do think Ferguson will be offerred the job. That's the only offer he'd accept to leave Trafford - and we should be looking for the most successful manager available, and Alex is the most recognisable in the English game for the past decade. As much as I hate him and the club that pays him.

Brett
07-10-2000, 10:14 PM
John Gregory? John feckin Gregory?

The world is nuts. How can anyone even consider this idiot?

Brett
07-10-2000, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Goldberg Basher:
Thinking in reverse to you lot how about seeing Kevin at Selhurst Park?

No thanks.

Was it only me that saw similarities between England and Palace today. It was too scary to be true.

Kevin Keegan is just Alan Smith on higher wages.

John 24
07-10-2000, 10:17 PM
GB, please can we give Smithy a chance before we start naming replacements.
I agree with you on Ferguson though, he'd be perfect for the England job but I think he'd turn it down so close to retirement.

cdm61
07-10-2000, 10:32 PM
I've always said that the mark of how good Steve Coppell is regarded as a manager was what job he would do next.

Well Brentford and Grimsby have been the only managerial posts he has been linked to.

Maybe its like a real love affair he can only love the one, CPFC.

But look at the jokers on this list!!

Lets have a real coah this time and not some old England has been....I'd go for Wenger and if you really wan to change the we won the war culture then apppoint a non-english manager.

6/1 Peter Taylor, 7/1 John Gregory, 8/1 Bryan Robson, 10/1 Peter Reid, 12/1 Arsene Wenger, 14/1 Alan Curbishley and Marcelo Lippi, 16/1 David O'Leary, 20/1 Alex Ferguson, 25/1 Harry Redknapp and Gianluca Vialli , 33/1 Ray Hodgson, 40/1 Glenn Hoddle, 50/1 Bobby Robson, 100/1 Graham Taylor.

I'd go 2/1 Mr blooby rather than some of those. Robson! Curbishley! RedKnapp!

Laugh.......

hong_kong_hg
07-10-2000, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Goldberg Basher:
...how about seeing Kevin at Selhurst Park?

Tempting idea...!

cdm61
07-10-2000, 10:51 PM
Please, what has KK ever done? Failed as a manager and failed at tactics. He's just a Mr Motivator and a bad one at that.

Goldberg Basher
07-10-2000, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by John 24:
GB, please can we give Smithy a chance before we start naming replacements.
I agree with you on Ferguson though, he'd be perfect for the England job but I think he'd turn it down so close to retirement.

John,

I thought I was only the last in a long list of BBSers wanting him out. If I'm the only one then fair do's but this is the first time I've mentioned Smiffy going. Jordan said he's give him 3 months before taking any action and that 3 months should be up just after we've played Fulham ...

Edmundo
07-10-2000, 11:08 PM
The timing is unfortunate, but the outcome is what was needed. Typical of the over-promoted cheerleader to get even the timing of his departure wrong.

Arsene Wenger is the man for the job. Whatever it takes to persuade him to take the job should be offered to him. I'm more than happy for a foreigner to take the job, but I don't think it should be a sweaty, so Fergie is ruled out.

If John Gregory gets the job, I will start supporting Scotland.

selhurst
07-10-2000, 11:10 PM
We were travelling on the tube home, from the match, and some northern supporters were talking about Keegan going. This was about 5.30pm, and I thought they were just specualting. I must admit I was totally shocked when I arrived home to find out it was true!

Brett
07-10-2000, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by Edmundo:
If John Gregory gets the job, I will start supporting Scotland.

My sentiments too.

wedgetail
07-10-2000, 11:27 PM
The biggest shock was that the FA tried to make Keegan change his mind.
Venables was just on TV refusing the job oh so carefully.

Brett
07-10-2000, 11:41 PM
Adam Crozier has a vested interest in making sure England has a tactically and generally inept man in charge of the team.

He's a sweaty.

Odds on for Gregory then.

Eagle of the East
07-10-2000, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by John 24:

Never Mind that - He's a passionate Scot can you really see him choosing to defect to the Auld Enemy!! He'd never be able to set foot in Scotland again!

selhurst
08-10-2000, 12:04 AM
I'm still surprised he's quit.

[This message has been edited by selhurst (edited 08 October 2000).]

Brett
08-10-2000, 12:07 AM
Look on the bright side though, 63 mins gone, San Marino 0, Scotland 0!

Edmundo
08-10-2000, 12:26 AM
It took San Marino rather less time than that to take the lead against England!

Goldberg Basher
08-10-2000, 12:47 AM
So all in all;

Wales 1-1 Norway (Blake scored first)
N Ireland 1-1 Denmark (Healy scored first)
Greece 1-0 Finland (Forsell nowhere)
San Marino 0-2 Scotland
England 0-1 Germany

Gooders
08-10-2000, 03:15 AM
And now Portugal 1 Ireland 1.

If you want to see an example of what national pride really means look no further than the Irish. Their fans applauded the Portugese national anthem.

Their players then ran their legs off in 80 degree heat and secured a draw with a team that is three times better than Germany.

Say what you like about Keegan - at least the man has some honour - he knew he was making no impression on the job and he did the decent thing.

Why has no one slagged the players? They are the people who seem unable to get motivated for anything other than a big fat paycheck. Where is their so-called national pride? Probably over in the stands with the morons who think that England won the war on it's own.

What about the thousands of Scots, Welsh, Irish, Poles, Canadians, Americans, Australians, South Africans, New Zealanders, French, Dutch and God knows how many other nationalities that fought with the allies?

The "bulldog breed", quite frankly, makes me want to vomit.

Del Boy
08-10-2000, 03:39 AM
Some good points fom Gooders.

I was at the match today and booing the German anthem was just the latest example of our fellow countrymen's xenophobic attitudes. It's quite possible to be proud to be English without behaving as if the rest of the world is something you'd rather not tread in.

If you're going to start with an attitude that sits somewhere between superiority complex and an unwillingness to work hard, then you're going to get the sort of useless cr*p we saw today. If the manager then puts in a keeper that over the hill, with 5 defenders in front of him and a big hole in midfiled, then it's likely that your opponents will outplay you, as Germany did in the 1st half. We had lots of ball in the 2nd, but apart from 2 long shots from Beckham, when did we ever look like scoring?

Keegan did the right thing. He's a big guy in my mind for having the guts to come out and say that he wasn't up to it. I think now we should go for someone whose more tactically aware, will bring on the younger stars and plays the best team. That means playing a pattern with players who are comfortable in the positions they're asked to play in, not doing things like playing Barmby or Redknapp as a left winger. It also means working hard for the right to play. That probably means a foreign coach. Not some toss bag like Wilkinson or Gregory.

PalaceFan in Alabama
08-10-2000, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by cdm61:
Lets have a real coah this time and not some old England has been....I'd go for Wenger .

7/1 John Gregory, 8/1 Bryan Robson, 10/1 Peter Reid, 14/1 Alan Curbishley and Marcelo Lippi, 16/1 David O'Leary, 25/1 Harry Redknapp and Gianluca Vialli, 40/1 Glenn Hoddle, 50/1 Bobby Robson, 100/1 Graham Taylor.

Someone has to be joking on this bunch? Why not put Smith in that bunch!

6/1 Peter Taylor, 12/1 Arsene Wenger, 20/1 Alex Ferguson, any of these three would do me.

clubbruggekvfc
08-10-2000, 01:29 PM
Johan Cruyff please.

As for Keegan, he should never have got the job in the first place, and is a prime example of what happens when the FA picks somebody in a panic and because of public and media pressure.

KK actually makes Alan Smith look tactically astute and aware. In fairness to Keegan he is a good and honest person, who was aware of his shortcomings in those areas of the game, he came from an era when there was still some pride in putting on the England shirt, and I think he could not understand, why today's pampered superstars with a couple of exceptions, don't feel the same. I think he genuinely believed he could make passion overcome strategy and after yesterday's gutless performance, decided to walk away. If the players didn't have that spirit in yesterday's special circumstances, they were never going to have it.

I think we have to accept that there is no outstanding proven English candidate to take over, and a respected foreign tactician and motivator may be our only viable option now. For me that person is Cruyff.

the_next_matt_jansen
08-10-2000, 01:32 PM
Before the game, a mate and I decided that Keegan should get sacked anyway regardless of the score and that St. Steve should be made manager.
1 out of 2 aint bad.

Neil the Eagle
08-10-2000, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Gooders:
The Irish fans applauded the Portugese national anthem.

To be fair, so did a helluva a lot of England fans in Eindhoven. Before anyone holds the Irish up as shining examples of sportmanship I remember the racket they made during GSTQ at Lansdowne Road before the abandoned game back in 1995.

Both of these instances had more to do with who the opposition actually were than the football itself. Sadly it has everything to do with politics and past injustices and bugger all to do with football.

Please don't think I'm seeking to excuse the treatment of the German national anthem, it was absolutely pathetic and much worse than in Charleroi. I would however dispute the figure of 85% of England fans joining in on another thread. It seemed more like 50/50 with a fair few arguments breaking out between fans around me (well, including me actually).

Chobham Eagle
08-10-2000, 02:25 PM
Quote from Tony Banks on the radio this morning:

"I wouldn't mind having Venables as the England coach but I wouldn't want him managing my pension fund".

I suspect that is the view held by most people. But those who support club teams that Venables has been involved with would probably prefer he managed their pension fund than their football team!

Goldberg Basher
08-10-2000, 03:04 PM
I'd be very happy to see him jump elbow-deep into an STD clinic.

Dai the Swansea Eagle
08-10-2000, 03:41 PM
I believe the FA will appoint someone of the stature of Curbishley. And that will make England a laughing stock.

I would prefer someone of the calibre of Cruyff, Toshack or Robson (Bobby), although the latter would be a fool to consider it at his age and record of recent ill-health.

I will not watch a Ferguson managed England. Firstly I'm not prepared to wait until I'm 40 for him to turn things around and secondly the intimidation tactics which are 90% of manure's game and reputation will not work at international level as the referees and FIFA are stronger than the refs in the Premiership and the FA.

As for Venables. We all know about his record at the last team he (mis)managed - yet somehow the media's favorite manager got away with his world class coach reputation intact.

paf
08-10-2000, 05:25 PM
Marcelo Lippi woul be great, blokes won everything and then some......... get a foreigner in I say ! Or failing that, a grovelling FA ask Peter Taylor, and he agrees on the understanding that Wilkinson goes http://www.cpfc.org/ubb/biggrin.gif

Les Butler
08-10-2000, 07:52 PM
Clicked on Talk sport last night and that pratt Tommy Boyd feels that its not Keegans fault or the players fault that England lose, its the lower classes fault who run the game.
It seems the "lower" classes are thick and lack intelligence for football and until you can add the upper classes into the game England will stay crap.

I think the man is an idiot .................Is he right or wrong.

Q2thaZ
19-03-2005, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by cdm61
6/1 Peter Taylor, 7/1 John Gregory, 8/1 Bryan Robson, 10/1 Peter Reid, 12/1 Arsene Wenger, 14/1 Alan Curbishley and Marcelo Lippi, 16/1 David O'Leary, 20/1 Alex Ferguson, 25/1 Harry Redknapp and Gianluca Vialli , 33/1 Ray Hodgson, 40/1 Glenn Hoddle, 50/1 Bobby Robson, 100/1 Graham Taylor.

oh how Man City would like a shortlist like that :D ;) :D