PDA

View Full Version : Left Back Position

Trilby
10-01-2003, 10:15 AM
Right, we all know finances are tight, but if we went up, the left wing back slot is one we'd have to fill. Who would you like us to go for? Be realistic.

Perhaps Le Saux, or Chris Powell??

pedro
10-01-2003, 01:02 PM
Matthew Taylor of Portsmouth, defends better than Granville and crosses better than Gray, this would solve our wing back dilemma.

markholmes1991
10-01-2003, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by pedro
Matthew Taylor of Portsmouth, defends better than Granville and crosses better than Gray, this would solve our wing back dilemma.

Spot on. Yes I think Merson is “still” a class act, but adding him to our squad would ultimately cost either AJ, Doogie & Black a place in the starting eleven.
I’ve no doubt Taylor will acquit himself to the Premiership without any problems (if Pompey get there) and as touched upon would solve our wingback problems out in the process

Duke
10-01-2003, 01:15 PM
Dean Gordon ?

Crunchie
10-01-2003, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by pedro

My choice as well.

2nd choice would have to be Tonge at Sheff Utd

Richie
10-01-2003, 01:47 PM
Gary Borrowdale ?

CallMeBernard
10-01-2003, 01:49 PM
Is Graham Alexander at PNE a left or right back? Can never remember.
Anyway, if left back, then him.
We can probably afford both him & his wages.

BenCouchman
10-01-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Richie
Gary Borrowdale ?

Well said, Youth International, looked fantastic against Rotherham, looks like he gets forward well, crosses well and doesnt mind a tackle.

Psychokiller
10-01-2003, 03:45 PM
Alan Wright is probably more realistic given our finances

Daddy Long
10-01-2003, 03:50 PM
Stick with what we've got. Granville has played in the top flight before and has a European Cup Winners Cup medal and Borrowdale is an England international. I'd be more worried about a lack of real creative spark in midfield and the lack of a 15 goal a season Prem quality striker

Beanie
10-01-2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by BenCouchman
Well said, Youth International, looked fantastic against Rotherham, looks like he gets forward well, crosses well and doesnt mind a tackle.

Whilst i think Borrowdale has a big future, don't you think he might notice the difference between Rotherham and the likes of Henry, Wiltord, Beckham, Hasselbaink, van Nistelrooy .......

Next year would be a little soon to rely on Borrowdale completely.

MENTALLY TOUGH
11-01-2003, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Psychokiller
Alan Wright is probably more realistic given our finances

& age, can imagine a backline of Fleming, Symons & Wright.(Francis does seem to go for the tried & tested player rather than taking a gamble on a lower league player - I am talking transfers here rather than selection policy as he aint afraid to put some of the kids in )
At least we wont have to hear all the bollox about being on a learning curve, blah blah blah.

Taylor is out of our league (Will be in the Premier next year even if Pompey cock it up)

Should we go up we will have to accept if we play 5 in the back it will be used more on a defensive idea rather than the attacking wingbacks that we have now. This is why the Creative Midfielder is going to have to be the 1st sisgning should we get up this year.

Baz To The D
11-01-2003, 05:33 PM
Adam Drury from Norwich

pete eagle
11-01-2003, 05:37 PM
I would be more worried about our central midfield first before the wing backs.

And asking for a realistic left back?
Neil Clement?Jon harley?

freekickuk
11-01-2003, 09:16 PM
were in the top half of the league and moving up why change anyone?

pete eagle
11-01-2003, 09:19 PM
Trillby was getting a bit ahead, thinking about Premiership. Let's get there and then start worrying about what positions need filling

glaziers fan
12-01-2003, 11:09 AM
Jon Harley or Wayne Quinn. When he was playing for Sheff Utd he was incredible. Im sure he'd relish the return to first-team football

Benzhiyi
12-01-2003, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by MENTALLY TOUGH
& age, can imagine a backline of Fleming, Symons & Wright.

Symons is 29, only a year older than Doog. There is a common misconception that he's old simply cos he's grey - not the case!

Martian
12-01-2003, 03:37 PM
Symons is about 32 (i think????).

He was born 8/3/1971.

John.K
12-01-2003, 03:38 PM
31 ;)

palace & proud
12-01-2003, 11:06 PM
wayne bridge,or ashley cole

gjtango
12-01-2003, 11:09 PM
Graniger from Brumscum perhaps?

RDSdaEAGLE
12-01-2003, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by Beanie
Whilst i think Borrowdale has a big future, don't you think he might notice the difference between Rotherham and the likes of Henry, Wiltord, Beckham, Hasselbaink, van Nistelrooy .......

Next year would be a little soon to rely on Borrowdale completely.

Considering sides like Leeds and Everton have 16 year olds playing for them, I wouldn't think Borrowdale would be out of depth.

Beanie
13-01-2003, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by RDSdaEAGLE
Considering sides like Leeds and Everton have 16 year olds playing for them, I wouldn't think Borrowdale would be out of depth.

Just because two 16 year old players do a bit, doesn't mean every 16 year old can. Also neither Everton nor Leeds RELY on these players, they give them time to gain experience. Borrowdale would be 18 next season, but a defensive position is far more exposed than an attacking one. By all means continue to give Borrowdale a chance to develop, but he's not really ready to be number 1 in the 1st Division, never mind the Premiership.

Scoot
13-01-2003, 08:58 AM
I WILL get shot down for this but
Hairy has also played in the top flight and whilst the majority on here seem to have something against him I actually beleive that with some confidence, no fans on his back and a run in the team he will be a damned fine player.

palace_crystal
13-01-2003, 03:15 PM
herman herraiddson or however you spell his name :)

THETwins
14-01-2003, 05:12 PM
indeed...herman is CLASS

sydnsteve
15-01-2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Scoot
Hairy has also played in the top flight and whilst the majority on here seem to have something against him I actually beleive that with some confidence, no fans on his back and a run in the team he will be a damned fine player.

Consider yourself totally in flames. The only position poor old hairy could fill is left back in the dressing room.

Walrus
18-01-2003, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by Scoot

Shoot me down too mate, I think Hairy is a very good defender. He needs to discover something called "passing", but the bloke CAN defend.

When he has 2 legs that work properly that is :sob:

Beanie
18-01-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Walrus
Shoot me down too mate, I think Hairy is a very good defender. He needs to discover something called "passing", but the bloke CAN defend.

When he has 2 legs that work properly that is :sob:

I'd agree as well. It was noticeable that Harrison was a different player away, when he tended to get more support, or at least less flack, from the fans. I think that given a reasonable chance and in a generally better defensive unit he might still have something to offer.

Dartford Lad
03-02-2003, 12:21 PM
I thought this might interest any Wayne Quinn fans....

Taken from the Sheff United Rivals.com site

It just goes to highlight how important captain Rob Page, missing through serving a one match ban, is to the side. With Wayne Quinn and Rob Kozluk occupying both full-back positions United are an absolute liability at times at the back. Kozluk, a nice guy and a willing trier, was his usual erratic self. Quinn by the same token possibly produced his most abject performance yet since returning to the Lane on a one-month loan from Newcastle. A one-month loan that is about to be extended as well whilst Rob Ullathorne, remember him, continues to be nursed slowly back from injury. In the light of Saturday's debacle all Blades supporters will be wishing him a speedy recovery. Drop Quinn and play Ullathorne on crutches anyone?