PDA

View Full Version : Interest in Bryan Hughes.

Martian
12-01-2003, 02:42 PM
According to the Daily Star (probably a lie...) Palace are interested in signing Bryan Hughes from Birmingham.

Any good?

Eagle
12-01-2003, 05:06 PM
If true, he is a very good player to have and the attacking midfielder we have wanted for ages although Tommy is filling that role now.
If cheap or on a free transfer good signing to make, has had a few injuries in his career but on his day would be an excellent player for us. Worked with Francis at Birmingham for several years.

Latvian
12-01-2003, 07:46 PM
How much for 4.25 and AJ?

Geezer
12-01-2003, 07:49 PM
Good player, can't really see any signings being made now. Who would you take out the team though, things are looking good now.

John.K
12-01-2003, 07:51 PM
Why aren't Birmingham playing him though??;)

freekickuk
12-01-2003, 08:18 PM
who are we about to lose?

John.K
12-01-2003, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by freekickuk
who are we about to lose?

Part of an exchange deal for Mullins??

ozeagle
12-01-2003, 08:23 PM
no-one in, no-one out, for the umpteenth time.

gray the only remote possibility.

:S:

Martian
13-01-2003, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by ozeagle
no-one in, no-one out, for the umpteenth time.

gray the only remote possibility.

:S:

:rolleyes:

Daddy Long
13-01-2003, 09:59 AM
I can't see it happening, but he is a quality little player. He's probably been ousted from the starting line up by Bruce's little bum-boy Kirovski. I would sign him if at all possible. He has creativity and goal scoring potential.

Men At Work
13-01-2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by John.K
Part of an exchange deal for Mullins??

Having just seen the Premiership highlights I suspect they'd want every defender we have in the club :)

Benny B Block
13-01-2003, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Men At Work
Having just seen the Premiership highlights I suspect they'd want every defender we have in the club :)

Ferdinand Coly - What a pile of pants

Dartford Lad
13-01-2003, 10:48 AM
Hughes would be well worth buying. :p

Big Fella
13-01-2003, 12:05 PM
I think we still need another midfielder, such as Hughes or even Darryl Powell, who is now free. We do get overrun in the midfield, especially when Mullins has to drop into the back line.

Jimbo ?
13-01-2003, 12:07 PM
another link to another ex francis player. it wont happen - but good player!

Will S
13-01-2003, 01:07 PM
I'd have thought the chances of signing him are remote... but I'm sure that TF would be interested in bringing the player to Palace, and I'm sure I saw Bruce quoted somewhere as saying a few players might have to go to fund their current spending spree.
Jordan might just be tempted to have one final splash if he thought the signing would make a real difference to our play off prospects, and it might just be, rather ironically that Hughes could be available at a bargain price. A taste of their own medicine perhaps for Birmingham?

pedro
13-01-2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Benny B Block
Ferdinand Coly - What a pile of pants

should be Ferdinand ifonly ! :D , another great bit of work by those Birmingham scouts!

yorkshire eagle
13-01-2003, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Big Fella
I think we still need another midfielder, such as Hughes or even Darryl Powell, who is now free. We do get overrun in the midfield, especially when Mullins has to drop into the back line.

darryl powell is a top shout good player would be great for us agressive and creative:lux:

RDSdaEAGLE
13-01-2003, 06:14 PM
Just a little point...

Francis and Bryan Hughes are very good friends. With Hughes out of the side at Birmingham, the chances of him signing are quite likely.

Latvian
13-01-2003, 10:17 PM
You and your little point Jock ;)

Ben H
13-01-2003, 10:23 PM
We ain't buyin' no one, unless of course as part of an exchange. Let's hope the Star's wrong.

Zeeks
15-01-2003, 09:27 AM
Bryan Hughes has gone on loan to Leicester City.

Dartford Lad
15-01-2003, 10:27 AM
Hughes on his Way

By Gary Silke
Date: 15/1/2003

Micky Adams is hoping to complete the one month loan signing of Birmingham City's Bryan Hughes today. The attacking midfielder has not been able to establish himself in the starting eleven since the Blues promotion to the Premiership.

The 26 year old Liverpudlian was signed from Wrexham in 1997.
A Blues fan summed him up on the Fox Forum messageboard like this: "Be prepared to be frustrated... brilliant one game, awful for the next two. when he's good, there's few better English players... when he's bad, he's awful. If you need firepower, he'll chip in with a few goals from midfield."
Once the FA have confirmed the deal Hughes should be available for the Gillingham game.

WorthingEagle
15-01-2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Dartford Lad
"Be prepared to be frustrated... brilliant one game, awful for the next two. when he's good, there's few better English players... when he's bad, he's awful.

Sounds like a certain Mr Mullins, if he consistently played the way he can do he'd be a Premiership player.

Jimbo ?
15-01-2003, 11:56 AM
oh well thats now ruled out - but I just dont know where we will play these players - or more to the point who is going to be happy on the bench when everyone is fit???? 6 strikers quoted by jordan today - who will lose out in midfield.......maybe another central defender would be useful!

arussell
15-01-2003, 03:09 PM
I think I would rather have Steve Sidwell. As he's going to Reading (probably) for a bargain 75k, I'm surprised we aren't interested at that price.

John.K
15-01-2003, 07:03 PM
Brighton fans rave about Steve Sidwell, is he that good?

Supa Ol
15-01-2003, 11:29 PM
Apparently the FA have not allowed Hughes to go to Leicester after all because there is a transfer embargo on them while they are in administration.

GreatGonzo
15-01-2003, 11:47 PM
Hughes was a player that a lot of people seemed to want when there was the suggestion of a player exchange for Clinton so a lot od Palace fans obviously rated him then.

As for Sidwell i would like to see us go in for him, and i think he would like to come to us over any of the clubs interested due to location.

Firstly it would piss the Brighton fans off no end if we took him off them.
Secondly he looks like a very good player, i have known the Brighton fans speak highly of him and name him as a major reason for starting to compete in this division. I also got the chance to see him live last weekend at Coventry and to be honest he was probably one of the best if not the best player on the pitch. He got stuck in in midfield and played some good balls too. For the price beoing quoted for him i would be in like flynn to be honest i think it would bve a great bit of business.

Would also like to see us bring one of them in as we lack decent cover in the midfield if we constantly have to move mullins to the back to cover injuries there. I want to see us bring in either a good centre back or a good midfielder over the next month, these two would both be good signings but would need to be made by the end of the month due to the transfer window!

16-01-2003, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Supa Ol
Apparently the FA have not allowed Hughes to go to Leicester after all because there is a transfer embargo on them while they are in administration.

Well Hooray - at last.
I was just beginning to wonder why it was we could only bring in non-contract players and in some cases players who would play 'on trial' for no wages while we were administration. I was beginning to think that Derby and Leicester in particular were operating under different rules.

http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/fart.gif

Axie
16-01-2003, 12:47 PM
From Ananova...

Foxes foiled in Hughes swoop

Leicester have confirmed they have been refused permission to sign Birmingham midfielder Bryan Hughes on a one-month loan.

The Football League will not allow the temporary transfer to take place because the Foxes are currently in administration.

Manager Micky Adams told the club's official website: "I naturally assumed that, as we could loan players out as we have been doing, that we could take them in on the same basis.

"I had worked out loans for three of our fringe players and the saving of wages would have covered the new man coming in from the financial point of view.

"But apparently it can't be done until we come out of administration, which I find hard to understand because we had loaned Jon Ashton to Notts County when they were in administration earlier in the season.

"At least while the new arrivals are delayed it should show the players here that I mean business, that I am going to make changes and strengthen the squad and some will have to raise their standard if they want to remain part of it."

Story filed: 12:09 Thursday 16th January 2003

Son of Shacker
26-01-2003, 07:34 PM
The story was run again in the People today, saying we want Hughes on loan despite the friction between the two clubs