PDA

View Full Version : Carlo Nash

i8 brighton
19-01-2003, 12:50 PM
I dont think anyone else has mentioned this.
I was reading the NOTW this morning and read abit quoted by nash saying that if peter schimiecal is offered a new contract that he will be looking to leave the club. Do you think that he would be a useful target and do you think that SJ will put in a bid.I personally rate him v.highly and he was always my fav player and i even got to know him and was around his house quite alot.

Men At Work
19-01-2003, 12:56 PM
After that goal he gifted Newcastle in the first few seconds yesterday I wouldn't feel happy with him on our team.

ozeagle
19-01-2003, 12:58 PM
exactly, that was an abomination, loved the commentary !!!

pete eagle
19-01-2003, 01:30 PM
Yes but the performance after that was quality, he made some cracking saves

ozeagle
19-01-2003, 01:31 PM
he cost them the game, down 1-0 after 10 secs...
talking of costing games, what about (h)aki's miss yesterday ?

Jimbo ?
19-01-2003, 04:16 PM
although he had a blinder at stockport a couple of years ago!

BaldEagle96
19-01-2003, 09:00 PM
In Kolinko and Matty we have two quality keepers - so in answer to the question - No, I do not think SJ will be putting in a bid for Carlo..

pete eagle
19-01-2003, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by ozeagle

difficult height to try and get any control or direction on it.

A lot of players were guilty of bad finishing yesterday

Latvian Eagle
19-01-2003, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by BaldEagle96
In Kolinko and Matty we have two quality keepers - so in answer to the question - No, I do not think SJ will be putting in a bid for Carlo..

Ah yes but what about talk of Aleks leaving at the end of the season when his contract is up? Then we could bring in Carlo.

RDSdaEAGLE
19-01-2003, 11:20 PM
Carlo saved them the game with some of the magnificent saves he made.

One mistake does not a poor performance make.

Adrian
19-01-2003, 11:33 PM
Come on: if we're serious, we need him when Alex leaves - unless Cedric the Frog turns out to be wonderful, we need quality cover.

If he becomes available and we don't sign him, somebody else will.

You mark my words, sonny.

GreatGonzo
19-01-2003, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by ozeagle

Get over your obsession with AKI and looking for mistakes!

The ball was at a difficult height but more importantly was BEHIND him!

Ade's header was too tight an angle from first impressions, we had much better chances than those 2 throughout the game!

Beanie
20-01-2003, 01:07 PM
We currently have four goalkeepers. Matt Clarke should be fit next season, Lance Cronin seems to be developing well and Aleks Kolinko and Cedric Berthelin are out of contract at the end of the season. One assumes that if Aleks does go they may well offer a proper contract to Berthelin and if Aleks stays they will say thanks and good bye to him. It is even possible that if Aleks leaves Lance Cronin may be enough cover. Why the need for another keeper?

Carlo (like so many possible "targets") is part of our past, and should stay there.

Coconut Monk
20-01-2003, 03:40 PM
I think he would be a good target, but I wouldn't want to pay money to bring him here. Matt's good just a bit unlucky, Cronin is not ready to be cover and Alek's contract relies on his work permit, if Alek's was to go (I hope not) then Carlo would be a good choice, but would his wages not be too high?

AndyChapman
20-01-2003, 03:47 PM
Please dont forget David Wilkinson as an excellent goalkeeping prospect for the future. He goes to my old school and is very good. Plays for England under 15 s. Hes a bit young to be playing now though!

Beanie
20-01-2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Coconut Monk
.....Alek's contract relies on his work permit, .....

True but unless Latvia have dropped through a hole in rankings the fact that he hasn't missed a game when fit since he signed for Palace should make a renewal a formality.

BaldEagle96
20-01-2003, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Beanie
We currently have four goalkeepers. Matt Clarke should be fit next season,

The problem with Matty is just how long will he be fit for next season. Not his fault by any means but he does appear to be a little injury prone.

However Carlo is not the answer - we let him go before so why on earth would we want him back now... If he was that good we wouldn't have let him go - or would we??? :confused:

TAK
20-01-2003, 09:46 PM
We shouldn't have let him go in the first place, mind you if Matty was fit and Kolinks was to stay I'd say we'd have three keepers on par with each other. Each withtheir individual faults. If we were to go for a proper replacement for what we've currently got we would need to look for a big step up in class and that my friends I doubt we can afford.

917L
21-01-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by TAK
We shouldn't have let him go in the first place

Another Noades masterstroke, the man got us to the premiership and was then dumped in favour of the fat t*sser, he never even got a run out after we were relegated with x games to go, very shabby.

David of Kent
21-01-2003, 01:48 PM
Not proved himself to be any better than what we already have. We've got two good keepers plus Cronin coming through, I like him but we don't need him

Nelson Muntz
21-01-2003, 01:58 PM
If he's not happy to be Man City's number two. He's not going to come to Palace to be number three. Use your loaf.

arussell
21-01-2003, 02:04 PM
Common mis-conception of Palace fans.

We got RID of Carlo Nash.

We didn't.

He was offered a new contract. He turned it down because he wanted first team football GUARANTEED. Palace couldn't/wouldn't do that , and so he went to Stockport (as a Bosman free transfer).

Carlo was an ok 'keeper, but no more than that, and certainly wasn't the legend/wonder goalie than some have made him out to be.

917L
21-01-2003, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by arussell
Carlo was an ok 'keeper, but no more than that, and certainly wasn't the legend/wonder goalie than some have made him out to be.

Maybe not be he was/is better than the fat b*stard that took his place;)

IW_Eagle
21-01-2003, 02:22 PM
Carlo Nash - He is a model isnt he!

Bring Back Chris Day!!! :-) JOKE!

Timbo
21-01-2003, 02:29 PM
..and if we can't get Carlo I winder if Budgie, Bill Glazier or John Jackson are available?

rag
21-01-2003, 03:43 PM
i think we dont need him at all

Crunchie
21-01-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by IW_Eagle
Carlo Nash - He is a model isnt he!

Bring Back Chris Day!!! :-) JOKE!

I thought that Chris Day was a better kepper than Carlo (probably in a minority there).

However arussell's right, AVerage keeper, did OK, end of story

Al From Bromley
23-01-2003, 04:53 PM
I love the way every ex palace player gets written off as no better than average when they leave us. Carlo helped turn our season around in the promotion year and was desperately disappointed that we got Miller in and he didnt get a look in the following season. That's why he left. What keeper wouldnt want to play having been part of a promotion winning side? Good luck to him. My lasting memory will always be of him and Tuttle (another currently getting slagged off) celebrating after the Play Off win, throwing their kit in to the crowd. As I've said elsewhere. Short and selective memories some people have got.

arussell
23-01-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Al's Rose Tinted Specs
As I've said elsewhere. Short and selective memories some people have got.

Not at all Al. I think you're stretching the point a bit to say "all" our ex-players are put down as average !

I'd certainly love to see Shipps, Super Matt and Craig Moore come back tomorrow if I could.

Carlo was competant to a point - but NOT the wonder 'keeper that some would have you believe he was. Too many of our fans have selective memories.

As well as the good times he gave us (cracking save away at QPR for example) - I can remember plenty of mistakes in reserve games and several for the first team (such as the goal he gifted Clownton at the Valley !).

It would have been nice if he'd stayed as second choice - but he quite rightly wanted first team action, and at the time in the premier league - as much as he is now des(pie)sed :D, Miller was the better 'keeper.

Al From Bromley
23-01-2003, 05:57 PM
So how come miller is playing for an obscure west country team for a quart of cream, some scones and strawberry jam these days? or did i dream that? All keepers have howlers. It doesnt make them bad keepers. With our current defence in front of him Carlo would certainly be up there with kolinko. You watch second team football youll get second team mistakes from the outfield and thus keepers under more pressure than they would expect in a decent side.

arussell
23-01-2003, 07:34 PM
Sorry Al - but I don't subscribe to that theory.

We're talking about the Miller of 6 years ago that was at Palace - not the one in his near mid 30's who's overweight and undermotivated.

Carlo's proved he's still the same 'keeper he always was (remember his gaffe that gifted us a goal away at Stockport ?), he hasn't improved since he left us and Kolinko is a much better goalie.

And I didn't say Carlo was "bad", just that he was never as good as some people's poor memories would make them believe. He was an average 'keeper and a good bloke to talk to, who had his moments both ways.

pete eagle
23-01-2003, 07:54 PM
Having watched the Newcastle vs man city highlights again, i cannot see how you can say that he has not improved, yes he made a mistake but Kolinko makes those. But the amount of saves he made and the quality of them were top draw. If he's good enough to play in a top 10 Premiership side then he's very good.
The only reason he is no.2 at Man City is because of Schmeichel, if Weaver was still in contention then Nash would have that No.1 jersey all to himself by now. He has turned in a string of impressive performances for them when Schmeichel was injured. is Kolinko better? I'm not so sure he is but it's impossible to compare considering the respective clubs they play for.

arussell
24-01-2003, 01:14 AM
If Weaver and Nash were the only keeper's there - then Weaver would be number one choice - as he was before they signed PS.

David
24-01-2003, 04:13 PM

And I didn't say Carlo was "bad", just that he was never as good as some people's poor memories would make them believe. He was an average 'keeper and a good bloke to talk to, who had his moments both ways.

I think you are the one with the 'poor memory'.

Crunchie
24-01-2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by David
I think you are the one with the 'poor memory'.

Meeeoooooooowwwwwww!

The fact that Carlo (and Tuttle) joined in the celebration at Wembley, attributes themselves to what great people they were, not how good footballers they were.

I will always have great fondest of Carlo, but he was a good first division keeper. No better, no worse. Like I said, I thought Chris Day at the time, was the better keeper.

(I always thought that Tuttle was underated)

Its an opinion, not a memory loss :rolleyes:

arussell
24-01-2003, 04:31 PM
I don't think so - I just illustrated several points and could easily dig up more if I really wanted to.

David
24-01-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Crunchie
Meeeoooooooowwwwwww!

The fact that Carlo (and Tuttle) joined in the celebration at Wembley, attributes themselves to what great people they were, not how good footballers they were.

I will always have great fondest of Carlo, but he was a good first division keeper. No better, no worse. Like I said, I thought Chris Day at the time, was the better keeper.

(I always thought that Tuttle was underated)

Its an opinion, not a memory loss :rolleyes:

Read the section I quoted again, that is why I mentioned 'poor memories'.

arussell
24-01-2003, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Crunchie
Its an opinion, not a memory loss

Not quite sure what the point here is - as basically you're agreeing with what I've already said. Oh well :p

Crunchie
24-01-2003, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Al's Rose Tinted Specs
Short and selective memories some people have got.

Sorry lads I was refering to this , as Al used this as a reason why some people may not rate Carlo as highly as he did :p

pete eagle
24-01-2003, 05:54 PM
If Weaver and Nash were the only keeper's there - then Weaver would be number one choice - as he was before they signed PS.

He was actually displaced by Nash last season, the only reason why he got back in was because Nash got injured.

Gooders
24-01-2003, 06:12 PM
He was an average 'keeper and a good bloke to talk to, who had his moments both ways.

I always thought he was strictly butter side up?

greybot
14-07-2003, 12:29 PM
http://www.icons.com/nash/diary.html
Very interesting read that was

Raoul Duke
14-07-2003, 12:36 PM
Couldn't be bothered to register. Could you give us an overview of the article?

Cheers

greybot
14-07-2003, 12:37 PM
oh oK
You can't copy and paste it I will screenshot it Hang on a min

greybot
14-07-2003, 12:48 PM
ARTICLE:
I can only learn from Seaman

After what was a truly memorable summer break I'm now back at Man City's Carrington training ground enduring the torture that is pre-season! To be honest though, it's not as bad as it used to be when I was a youngster because most of the running these days is football-related rather than marathon-related! I vividly remember the days when a football wasn't seen for at least a week but we had them out on the first day on Wednesday which was great.

The atmosphere in the camp is a little bit strange though, as you might expect following the tragic sudden death of Marc-Vivien Foe. The whole club has been shocked and shaken by the loss and it's difficult for us to believe that he's really gone. I believe Man City want to stage a memorial match in his honour and I think that is a great idea.

I don't watch a lot of TV and only found out about Marc when I was texted by a friend. Needless to say, it came as a real hammer blow when I discovered the story was true. Marc was such a nice lad who had no enemies at all and it seems such a waste that his life was taken so early. We'll all miss him greatly in the changing room and it's certainly put our own lives and our own problems into perspective.

I met Man City's new goalkeeper David Seaman for the first time this week and he was very nice. Obviously, I was hoping to be the number one choice this season but when someone of Seaman's calibre joins the club you can't complain really. I respect Kevin Keegan's decision completely because he is doing what he thinks is best for the team. All I can do is the same as last year - knuckle down in training, learn from a great keeper and make sure I'm ready to do a good job whenever I'm called upon.

I've always rated David as a top-class keeper so it should be a pleasure working with him. I'm lucky to have had the chance to learn from Schmeichel and now Seaman who are unquestionably two of the best goalies in their generation. It can only help my own career in the long run.

I felt sympathy for David when he was criticised at the World Cup and was pleased to see the press turn back on his side after that wonder save in the FA Cup semi-final. He's looking sharp in training, so I'm certainly going to have my work cut out displacing him as number one straight away!

Looking back on my summer holiday, my trip to Asia is something I'll never forget. It was a superb experience and something that I'd love to do again some time in my life. There are so many memories that I'll take from it but the two which stand out most are praying alongside the monks in a Cambodian temple and coming face to face with a two-metre long grey shark during one of my dives in Bali! I would definitely recommend Bali as a holiday resort if you get the chance to go - it really is a fantastic place.

Now of course, my mind is on the new season and I'm looking forward to it greatly. Playing Barcelona in our first match at the new stadium promises to be special and our UEFA Cup adventure is also something that I'm sure we'll all enjoy.

If we can add one or two new faces I'm confident that Man City can achieve a lot this season and improve on what was a pretty good effort last year. We all feel that there is plenty more to come from this side, so it could be a very exciting 12 months for the City fans

sydnsteve
14-07-2003, 03:17 PM
I always thought that Carlo was an excellent keeper, and was treated very badly by Palace, as he should have been allowed to be number 1. (much as it pains me to agree with Rosie specs' earlier posts).

kettle
28-07-2003, 09:17 AM
man city played feyenoord on friday, and won 2-1 goals from anelka and wanchope in the last minute. fowler looked overweight and wasnt even meant to be playing. carlo played in goal and following WOR howler :eek:, feyenoord took the lead...i rated him, shame we didnt keep him.

jamesy
28-07-2003, 05:53 PM
I always loved Carlo from the start.........arguing with defenders at QPR after a corner as none of them had an understanding with each other yet...and THAT great save.
carlo carlo carlo!!!!!

Hang The DJ
28-07-2003, 07:14 PM

Rubbish - Weaver is an overweight pisshead who has dramatically fallen from grace. Nash is ahead of him in the queue and has been for some while now.

Malakite
28-07-2003, 07:31 PM
I think Nash is class, although occasionally has a howler, although, who what keeper doesnt?..jsut part of being a keepr I guess?

Andy37
30-07-2003, 01:04 AM
Carlo was fine, and lets be fair he got a fair bit of premiership action last season, something he never got with us. And where is his replacement, the pie man now? God knows but I hope he is miserable.