PDA

View Full Version : Sven is new England manager

JohnA
31-10-2000, 02:35 AM
BBC reporting that he has signed a contract.

dazza CPFC
31-10-2000, 02:38 AM
yeah i read that on teletxt he is a good manager but iam disipointed he aint english but hopefuly peter taylor will take over from sven but it dont say much about english football

Snorwood Eagle
31-10-2000, 02:55 AM
I think its an excellent appointment by the FA, though I would have prefered the team of Bobby Robson and Peter Taylor, as opposed to Steve McClaren. Sven has calibre, though my concern is if he will be able to identify the up and coming English talent that hasn't been documented greatly - ie. Ashley Cole, and the like.
Good luck to him, and I hope he gets a fair crack of the whip. The last thing we need is for the media to turn on him after a couple of games, which would inevitably launch a train of thought that the fact he is not English means he isn't capable of leading the English national side. I hope he knows what he's letting himself in for.

Vince Hilarious
31-10-2000, 03:00 AM
English football has reached its lowest point.

BertHowe
31-10-2000, 03:45 AM
Sorry to possibly upset all you patriotic individuals who feel England should have a native manager.
But I think it would/will be the best thing ever to happen to English football, in the long run. As an old fart I can remember back in í66 people were saying winning the
World Cup playing the system we did, would be to the detriment of English Football.
I feel that assumption was correct. We learnt nothing of significance over the following years. English coaches and their methods are generally stereotyped and devoid of ideas and imagination. The success of the Dutch and French national sides over recent years (remembering the population of Holland relative to the UK and that football is not the primary sport in France), indicates their rate of improvement over recent decades.
With two of the current top three teams in the Premier having continental mangers shows, I hope, a willingness to learn from others. I would suggest that Eriksson is up with the higher echelon of managers/coaches operating in Europe at this time, and will bring a fresh approach to the position of Englandís manager.

selhurstparkflyer
31-10-2000, 03:15 PM
I could not agree with you more Bert.
our footy has been in a time warp ever since 1966.
the fcat is our national is terrible as our clubs...witness the appalling performnace of 'the Best league in the World' in European comps...4 trophies in 10 years and 3 of those were Cup Winners' Cup.
At last the FA have seen the need (as have many of our clubs) of injecting some new blood and ideas into a previously introverted and aniquated system.

All these players and ex-players saying they want english managemnet are burying their heads in the sand. It saddened me how much 'respect' the England players had for kevin keegan. Even I could tell he was tactically inept and hopefully a new face can tell them that they have to be able to use two feet, keep control of the ball for more than 2 seconds and be able to beat a man in order to compete on the world stage.

Gooders
31-10-2000, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Vince Hilarious:

Can't agree with this at all. English football is rubbish and this is just what we need.

However, cue all sorts of jokes about Turnips and Swedes from our wonderful tabloid press.

Hope the guy has the stomach for what he's let himself in for.

ruediger
31-10-2000, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Vince Hilarious:

Very much so. Which is sad.

Leicester Eagle
31-10-2000, 05:08 PM
I think the fact that we have got a proven manager with a track record of sucess is brilliant. I was reading Ron Atkinsons column in the Guardian, and he was seriously suggesting that Bryan Robson should be considered ahead of him (once he has been sacked by Middlesbrough presumably), as he is English with a sackfull of caps. This is exactly the same line of logic that got us Kevin Keegan for goodness sake. I can understand the people who say that this is a sad day for English football, but the appointment of a foreign coach is a symptom of our problems, not the cause of it. We have no system of accreditation for coaches, too many managers are appointed because of their playing reputation rather than their managerial nous (Bryan Robson, Kevin Keegan, David Platt) who were all good players but a good player does not make a good manager. The sooner we have a situation like the Italians where coaches have to learn about management and pass a test the better. It is hugely significant that the top five clubs in England are managed by foreigners (Ferguson, Wenger, Houllier, Ranieri and O'Leary). Until we have a decent system in place to teach coaching properly, there will be no English managers who are good enough to manage the international team (or at least very few).

Selsdon Eagle
31-10-2000, 05:13 PM
If Sven isn't going to take over until next June or July, does that mean that were not gonna bother with the world cup.

Or does it mean that Peter Taylor is going to be a stop gap until Sven takes over so we have to start from scratch for the second time in less than a year in terms of new managers, new ideas.

Personally I think the FA should say if you want the job you take it now, not when its convienient.

------------------
It's another wonderful Crystal Palace goal, Clive Tyldsley Palace 4-1 Wolves 1995!!!!

arussell
31-10-2000, 05:23 PM
Excellent appointment if true and I congratulate the FA on actually having the guts to go for a foreign coach (perhaps our game will now get the long overdue shake-up it needs).

I simply cannot believe the number of dinosaurs crawling out of the woodwork in the press to insist we have to have an English coach ?

WHY and WHO would you suggest anyway ? - Taylor will hopefully prove to be the natural successor in time (and to think he nearly became our coach a year ago - sob) but even he will admit it is too early for him at the moment on a full time basis, although I look forward to seeing his team next month.

selhurstparkflyer
31-10-2000, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Selsdon Eagle:
[B]If Sven isn't going to take over until next June or July, does that mean that were not gonna bother with the world cup.

Or does it mean that Peter Taylor is going to be a stop gap until Sven takes over so we have to start from scratch for the second time in less than a year in terms of new managers, new ideas.

/B]

the story goes that he takes over on 1st july next year
meanwhile he will take charge of england for world cup qualifiers on a part time basis, whilst taylor (or whoever) is manager for friendlies.

Zico Murphy
31-10-2000, 08:09 PM
It's now official.He's signed a five year contract starting 1 July next year.He will take charge of the three world cup qualifiers between now and then on a part time basis.

selhurstparkflyer
31-10-2000, 08:42 PM
Well here it is
I think its great

LONDON, Oct 31 (Reuters) - Following is the statement made by FA chief executive Adam Crozier on Tuesday on the appointment of new England coach Sven Goran Eriksson: "We're now delighted to announce that Sven Goran Eriksson, currently of Lazio, has agreed to become the new England coach.
"He has agreed a five-year contract, taking him through to the end of the World Cup in 2006 and giving England the continuity we seek in order to move forward.
"Sven was the unanimous choice of our selection team and is without doubt one of the best coaches in the world with an excellent record of sustained success. At no stage did we approach any other manager.
"Sven was and is our number one choice. His contract will begin on July 1, 2001 and we are hopeful that with the co-operation of Lazio, he will be available to manage the team for the World Cup qualifiers in March and June.
"He is very excited at the prospect of working with Peter Taylor, Steve McClaren and Brian Kidd and buys in 100 percent to our strategy of building for the long-term, so that we have an English manager running the England team in the long-term.
"It marks a new beginning for England and we are certain that everyone will give the new team their full support and best wishes."
LONDON, Oct 31 (Reuters) - Following is the statement made by FA chief executive Adam Crozier on Tuesday on the appointment of new England coach Sven Goran Eriksson: "We're now delighted to announce that Sven Goran Eriksson, currently of Lazio, has agreed to become the new England coach.
"He has agreed a five-year contract, taking him through to the end of the World Cup in 2006 and giving England the continuity we seek in order to move forward.
"Sven was the unanimous choice of our selection team and is without doubt one of the best coaches in the world with an excellent record of sustained success. At no stage did we approach any other manager.
"Sven was and is our number one choice. His contract will begin on July 1, 2001 and we are hopeful that with the co-operation of Lazio, he will be available to manage the team for the World Cup qualifiers in March and June.
"He is very excited at the prospect of working with Peter Taylor, Steve McClaren and Brian Kidd and buys in 100 percent to our strategy of building for the long-term, so that we have an English manager running the England team in the long-term.
"It marks a new beginning for England and we are certain that everyone will give the new team their full support and best wishes."

Tuesday, 31 October 2000 16:32:29
RTRS [nL31422111]

Kev
31-10-2000, 08:53 PM
F ucking dreadful

English and proud. No foreign coaches.

Come on then, hit me with the "racist, nationalistic, jingoistic, xenophobic" diatribe.

Jack Regan
31-10-2000, 09:39 PM
You don't find Manchester United fans moaning that their manager's not English. You don't find arse fans moaning about their manager either, or indeed Leeds fans. Did Ireland fans moan about Big Jack being foreign? No.

At the end of the day, the coaches nationality is irrelevant (the head of the English FA is Scottish let's not forget, and no-one's moaning about that)

***** like Alan Shearer should stop banging on about Englishness and patriotism like they've got 3 f****** lions tatooed on their chest, and question how patriotic they REALLY are by retiring from the international scene too early and thereby distancing themselves from the countries inevitable World Cup qualification failure.

eagle mart
31-10-2000, 09:49 PM
I think its a move forward. I'm English and proud. There will be nobody, hopefully, there just on reputation. Anyone who is playing well will have a chance to play for England.

No more Heskey when he can't hit cows ass with a banjo. He didnt deserve to be in the England team last year, although maybe he does at the moment.

wedgetail
31-10-2000, 10:01 PM
Those who don't want a foreign coach should realise that Erikson was the second choice.
Bobby Robson would have taken the job but his English club prevented him out of petty parochial self interest, so lets not have any of this patriotic nonesense.

English football has reached a nadir because of neandertal English coaches and incompetent and stupid English club and national management. A foreign professional coach is needed at national level just as professional foreign coaches were found necessary at club level.

So come on those who want an English manager
lets see your short list.

Samo*
31-10-2000, 10:12 PM
Good luck to the foreign chap we might as well just go and sign hendrick larson now

Gooders
31-10-2000, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Leicester Eagle:
I was reading Ron Atkinsons column in the Guardian, and he was seriously suggesting that Bryan Robson should be considered ahead of him

And what more evidence could anyone need that it was time for a change?!!!

The fact that we regard Ron Atkinson as a worthwhile commentator should be enough to suggest that we've got problems in this country.

And Bryan Robson for manager? What a joke! The money that man has spent and the players he's had in his care, and Boro are still pants!

clubbruggekvfc
01-11-2000, 12:14 AM
Mr Eriksson has just released details of the England team for the friendly against Italy to the BBC's Alan Green. It has not as had been previously expected been picked by Peter Taylor and that other bloke with blonde hair.

1 Dave Hedman
2 Gary Andersson
3 Graham Kamark
4 Dennis Mild
5 Sol Thern
6 Tony Mjallby (capt)
7 Lee Alexandersson
8 Paul 'Gazza' Blomqvist
9 Andy Larsson
10 Michael Dahlin
11 Ray Schwarz

Three cheers for England.

Raf
01-11-2000, 01:44 AM
I've always been a vocal England supporter, and recently joined the England Member's Club so I could get hold of tickets easier. I won't bother to renew my membership now, as I don't want to watch England anymore.
For me, the international game has always been about making the most of what you've got. It's always been different to club level, where money talks. But now, it seems we can just buy in whoever we want, and sod whether they're English or not. Basically, we're saying, 'England isn't good enough, so we're not going to try and improve things, we'll just bring in some foreigner.'
Personally, I don't see the big difference between buying in a foreign coach, and buying in a foreign player.

tw
01-11-2000, 01:49 AM
A Fantastic appointment, It is very refreshing to see that we have so many forward thinking people on this BBS.
We are clearly miles behind european national sides at the moment.
However listening to talk sport this morning they were trying to suggest there would be a revolution at this appointment, clearly there won't be.

Del Boy
01-11-2000, 03:57 AM
Good appointment!

Anything that brings our football out of the time warp that it's been in is ok by me. Watching England play Germany at Wembley was a painful experience.

Frankly, I'd support Mr Potato Head or Bob the Builder as manager if I thought either of them could produce a team that played intelligent passing football and would give us a real chance in major championships - not the tub-thumping delusion we go in for at each Euro Championships or World Cup.

And..........it isn't Venables!

[This message has been edited by Del Boy (edited 31 October 2000).]

Tomahawks
01-11-2000, 04:00 AM
whats the source again....ceefax?
nothing on skysports, bbc web sites.

I can only find confirmation that he'll be leaving Lazio and the fear is that he'll use the England position as a tool to lever a better deal with an (even) bigger Euro club.
(As he did with Blackburn a couple of years ago).

Can anyone confirm when he'll be taking up the England post?

Fat Andy
01-11-2000, 04:06 AM
How can people moan about a foreign appointment? I think in an ideal world everybody would prefer an Englishman but there just aren't any proven English managers available.

You just have to look at the bookies' odds on the vacant job, the favourites in order were, Hodgson,Bryan Robson, Peter Reid, Joe Royle and Trevor Francis, YES TREVOR FRANCIS!

What the hell have any of these done?

This is a bold move and I just pray he can improve things,it can't get any worse can it?

Andy in Rome
01-11-2000, 04:31 AM
Well, all of the Italian sport papers (as well as the TV news) are saying he'll be taking over in June/July, at the end of the Serie A season.

Can't imagine Lazio agreeing to let him go if this wasn't the case...

North London Palace Man
01-11-2000, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by clubbruggekvfc:
Mr Eriksson has just released details of the England team for the friendly against Italy to the BBC's Alan Green. It has not as had been previously expected been picked by Peter Taylor and that other bloke with blonde hair.

1 Dave Hedman
2 Gary Andersson
3 Graham Kamark
4 Dennis Mild
5 Sol Thern
6 Tony Mjallby (capt)
7 Lee Alexandersson
8 Paul 'Gazza' Blomqvist
9 Andy Larsson
10 Michael Dahlin
11 Ray Schwarz

Three cheers for England.

Good old Club. Your posts always bring a smile to my face http://www.cpfc.org/ubb/smile.gif

Gooders
01-11-2000, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Raf:
I've always been a vocal England supporter, and recently joined the England Member's Club so I could get hold of tickets easier. I won't bother to renew my membership now, as I don't want to watch England anymore.
For me, the international game has always been about making the most of what you've got.

Right. So presumably you won't watch Palace either until we get rid of Fan, Rubins, Kolinko and anyone else who's not English?

selhurstparkflyer
01-11-2000, 12:33 PM
I watched breakfast news this morning and saw Gordon Taylor (the PFA Bloke) claiming baout this was an insult etc.
Personally I am glad he is insulted. Hopefully a foreign manager will teach some of his members to play with both feet.

No doubt as well that he is insulted that the Palace manager has insisted that some his members have to train twice a day.

exiled in Wales
01-11-2000, 03:30 PM
I feel very sad for football. The club game has long been about money rather than location, players don't play for their local team it is a professional sport and the players move from team to team. This has been accepted by the fans.

However national football was always for me, and others, been about England. English manager and English players. We have sold our identity for success. People who use the club comparison - or even the Irish national side comparison - do you want an England team made up of players who live abroad and only ever come to England to play internationals due to the fact they are eligible because their grandmother may have looked at an English soldier on overseas duty. Like Tony Cascarino who has admitted in his autobiography that he had no eligibility to play for Ireland - none at all.

So the England team hasn't been successful, well lets get in a load of foreigners to be successful. OK then, I'm gonna start supporting France and Brazil based on success alone, who knows their players (especially France) may end up having more links with England than the English team !!

selhurstparkflyer
01-11-2000, 05:37 PM
I understand what you are saying, exiled.
however, we are not doing what the irish have done.
all our players are firmly english.
there has never been any rules or moral code that says we have to have an english manager.

of course, we would all prefer to have an english manager if he was up the job, but there simply isn't one. i think contrary to being saddened, we should rejoice that the FA has finally woken to the dire state football in this country is (its only taken 27 years).
it is interesting that all those that are bleating about it are those who should be most embarrassed at the state of the game today. in every walk of life people who fear for themselves tend to become aggressive in their outbursts..Gordon Taylor is the obvious example.

when i hear him, the league managers' association and the charlton brothers whining on about how marvellous we are and how we should all be ashamed, i wanna punch their faces in. they are the ones that should be ashamed and they should stand up and take their share of the blame for the ****e that has been dished out by our national and club teams on the international stage year in and year out...and the sooner their vested, selfish interests are flushed out of the game the better.

fieldy
01-11-2000, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Raf:
For me, the international game has always been about making the most of what you've got. It's always been different to club level, where money talks. But now, it seems we can just buy in whoever we want, and sod whether they're English or not. Basically, we're saying, 'England isn't good enough, so we're not going to try and improve things, we'll just bring in some foreigner.'
Personally, I don't see the big difference between buying in a foreign coach, and buying in a foreign player.

You Moron !!!! This is the typical attitude of most of the idiots that have been voicing the opinion of what a disgrace it is that we have appointed a foreign coach, none of them and I challenge you Sir to do the same, have manged to come up with a viable English alternative who can match Sven Goran Erickson's pedigree, Portugese league & cups, Italian league & cups, UEFA cup, Super cup as well as domestic success in Sweden. He is a proven world class winner, there are no English coaches who can hold a light to him, surely now, after years of under achievement it is about time we employed the best man, which is what the FA have done. The only name people can come up with is Venables, Terry F*****g Venables, apart from anything else what has he ever won?? The FA cup with Spurs, Woop de f*****g doo !!! He's not even fit to tie Erickson's laces !!! What took the absolute biscuit was when Gordon Taylor came on Talksport this morning moaning that it was selling out our hertitage etc he said, and I quote "the trouble with these foreign coaches is that they all want to bring in foreign players, the first thing he's going to want to do is drop our english players and call up foreign, english based players" !!! The man's a complete f**kwit. I applaud the FA for this bold, correct, refreshing and exciting appointment, what a shame everyone is focusing on the negative instead of the positive effects foreign coaches have had on the english players at the club's they have joined, Adams, Keown, Parlour, Ashley Cole, Gerrard, Owen, Heskey. It's a shame there are so many short sighted idiots in this country who don't deserve the success that this man could bring.

exiled in Wales
01-11-2000, 06:22 PM
Bobby Robson got us to a world cup semi-final which we only lost on penalties. Had we won we would probably have won the world cup. He was English.

Venables, arrrrgh, got England to the Semi-Finals of the European Championships which we lost on penalities. Had we won we would probably have won the European championships. He was English.

Hoddle got England to the 2nd round of the World cup only to be knocked out on penalties by Argentina after playing a long period with only 10 men.

Losing to Germany on penalties.
Losing to Argentina on penalties.

Is this underachieving ?

Euro 96 we thrashed the Dutch.

The managers have been hounded out by the press - especially Robson.

Why, when we underachieve is it always the managers fault? Does anyone believe that all we need is a foreign manager then we are guaranteed to win every World cup and European Championship because we undoubtably have the best players in the world ? The answer must be no, but some will say we could do better - better than semi-finals or losing to top quality teams after playing out of your skin for 120 minutes, I think not.

I do not believe we have really under achieved because I don't believe we have the best players in the world. We just have the worst media and public support.

swed_eagle
01-11-2000, 06:52 PM
To all of you who are complaining about Eriksson not being english:
Have you read what he has won during his manager-career:

With IFK Gothenburg(79-82): League champion two times. The swedish cup two time and the Uefa-cup.

With Benfica(82-84,89-92): The league three times and the cup three times.

With Roma(84-87): The cup one time.

With Sampdoria(92-97): The cup one time.

With Lazio(97-): League champion last season, the cup twice and the cupwinners cup.

You should all be grateful that he accepted your offer.

------------------
Swed_Eagle

Don Rogers 'tache
01-11-2000, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by exiled in Wales:

I do not believe we have really under achieved because I don't believe we have the best players in the world. We just have the worst media and public support.

I agree with you're comments regarding the above. We get the results we deserve - and the ludicrous tub-thumping by the media in winding people up to think we are some sort of great power (footballing or otherwise) is ridiculous. However, I think that it is about time we recognise that the continentals DO have something to teach us - we can improve with decent coaching, tactics and a more professional attitude to football (diet, training,etc).

Sven Goran Ericson is educated, professional and successful. Our players are stupid, largely unprofessional and international failures. However, I think he is the man to change all this and lead us into the broad sunny uplands of success and glory !

[This message has been edited by Don Rogers 'tache (edited 01 November 2000).]

Ash
01-11-2000, 07:09 PM
Success for England is long overdue, and if the cost of success is a foreign coach, then why not ? Who complained when England beat Zimbabwe last year (Foreign coach) or when Redgrave & co romped home in the Olympics (Foreign coach) ?

I'm quite excited about it all.

Gooders
01-11-2000, 07:43 PM
You make some good points exiled.

However, we certainly do not have the "worst public support"...we don't shoot our players when they score an own-goal, for example.

The game against Holland was the proudest I've ever felt about our national team and yes, we were a bit unlucky against Germany - but we were extremely fortunate to sneak past Spain and we didn't exactly cover ourselves in glory against Switzerland or Scotland either.

That's all distant history now anyway.

The English players in our Premier League are consistently shown up by their foreign counterparts and our performance in the recent European championships was an utter disgrace - we were by far the least attractive team to watch in the whole tournament, including Norway.

A fresh pair of eyes gives a chance for the players to perform to their potential - no one seriously believes they are good enough to win tournaments (apart from The Sun, maybe) but at least it might be worth them turning up in future.

The players are all English through and through - what the **** does it matter what Nationality their coach is?

ruediger
01-11-2000, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Gooders:
The players are all English through and through - what the **** does it matter what Nationality their coach is?

Nationality doesn't really matter.
Nevertheless it's a sad to see England going continental when there ought to be talent in abundance at home.

[This message has been edited by ruediger (edited 01 November 2000).]

Blind_Eagle
01-11-2000, 08:00 PM
To the best of my knowledge the Premiership has never been won by a team with an english manager. So what hope have you in winning at International level with one?

selhurstparkflyer
01-11-2000, 08:20 PM
Bobby Robson got us to a world cup semi-final which we only lost on penalties. Had we won we would probably have won the world cup. He was English.

Venables, arrrrgh, got England to the Semi-Finals of the European Championships which we lost on penalities. Had we won we would probably have won the European championships. He was English.

Hoddle got England to the 2nd round of the World cup only to be knocked out on penalties by Argentina after playing a long period with only 10 men.

Losing to Germany on penalties.
Losing to Argentina on penalties.

Is this underachieving ?

Euro 96 we thrashed the Dutch.

The managers have been hounded out by the press - especially Robson.

Why, when we underachieve is it always the managers fault? Does anyone believe that all we need is a foreign manager then we are guaranteed to win every World cup and European Championship because we undoubtably have the best players in the world ? The answer must be no, but some will say we could do better - better than semi-finals or losing to top quality teams after playing out of your skin for 120 minutes, I think not.

Lets actually analyse this stuff
Bobby Robson did well yes. However in that world cup we beat egypt, a very average belgium and jammed our way past cameroon who had 4 players out suspended.

euro 1996
all games at wembley
we beat scotland..wow
we beat a very poor dutch side that had a massive dressing room split and a man sent home
we were lucky agst spain as they had a perfectly good golden goal disallowed.
so we won 2 games and drew 3. we moan about getting beaten on pens when we should have been knocked out by a far better spain tem in the round before

world cup 98
we were playing the argies because our team was thoroughly outclassed by romania (a team that was comfortable on the ball). yes they scored in the last minute but how they were not 5-0 up i will never know.

and what about euro 88, all 3 games lost
euro 92, 2 points, 1 goal in 3 games
and euro 2000...

when berti vogts was asked after euro '96 why germany always wins pen shoot outs his response?
'because we have better players'
too bloody right.

and why don't we have the best players in the world? because morons like bobby charltonn and gordon taylor and charles hughes (remeber him?) have been going round saying we have the best league in the world and the best players blah blah and nobody has admitted that we have been turning out second rate players and teams and have been hiding behind our '66 world cup success.

hopefully now, things have got so dire that we will finally return from the abyss..and i can enjoy watching england for the first time in my 28 years of life.

exiled in Wales
01-11-2000, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Gooders:

My worry is that it is the first step.

Next we may start fielding players who claim to have grandparents who were English etc. Would we want them in the team, if they are better than anyone else available?

If I was obsessed with success I would support Man Utd and Brazil.

I support Crystal Palace because I am from Croydon. I support England because I am English.

From Palace I expect nothing - just that everyone tries their best when wearing the red and blue. Anything else is a bonus (a lesson learnt by experience).

From England I expect Patriotism and for everyone associated with the national side to feel proud to serve their nation to the utmost of their abilities win or lose.

Where is the pride and achievement if success is bought by foreigners to England?

I suppose it's a personal decision, but I would be happier for England to lose as England than to win under false pretences. But that is not what our media / society want, they want winners like Moan Utd. Stuff everyone and everything for success, where will it end? We already have instances of players in Europe on false passports.

If we win the world cup with a foreign coach and some Italians and Brazilians with false passports what will it be worth? Nothing to me.

While I do accept that continental coaches have something to offer English players I don't think it will make much difference to the national side as all the players from Arsenal and Liverpool already have the benefit of continental managers.

Why do we always think we should win ? Any defeat is treated as a national disaster and a scapegoat must be found. I think it's time we accepted that you can only do the best with what you are given, if you try and fail then that's life. At least you tried.

For all the posters who think this is a good move - where do you draw the line? If players like Ronaldo and Figo found that although they have never lived in England they had English grandparents would you welcome them to Heathrow everytime England played at home? Would you be happy watching players who could barely speak English pulling on the three lions?

It's the old worry that once you take one step towards change the floodgates open and each consecutive step becomes easier to justify. "Well the coach is foreign, at least Player X has an English grandparent" or "the coach can't speak English so why should the players?"

Although I can say I will still wholeheartedly support England I would be happier with an English Coach. If they ever try to foist some brilliant foreigner on the team then I will say enuff - and support an English team in another more honourable sport.

selhurstparkflyer
01-11-2000, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Blind_Eagle:
To the best of my knowledge the Premiership has never been won by a team with an english manager. So what hope have you in winning at International level with one?

I hate to disagree with you but the great Howard wilkinson won it with leeds...therefore he should be england manager!!!!

exiled in Wales
01-11-2000, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by selhurstparkflyer:
I hate to disagree with you but the great Howard wilkinson won it with leeds...therefore he should be england manager!!!!

Fair enuff. Foriegner it is then. http://www.cpfc.org/ubb/wink.gif

selhurstparkflyer
01-11-2000, 09:12 PM
exiled
i agree with you wholeheartedly about english players and we dont want this to be the first step into the irish route...just seems i am a little more relaxed about the manager not being one of us.

it is encouraging i thought that adam crozier..a scot!!..said that sven was totally in agreement that his legacy should be an england manager and coaching system that can bring future success.
that has to be encouraging surely?
maybe im gullible but i belive it.

paf
01-11-2000, 09:15 PM
Sven Goran Eriksson tra la la la la,

Sven Goran Eriksson tra la la la la la la

Regal Eagle
01-11-2000, 09:26 PM
First a Turnip now a Swede.

" Three Swedes on my Shirt"

Not the same is it?

fieldy
01-11-2000, 09:33 PM
My worry is that it is the first step.

Next we may start fielding players who claim to have grandparents who were English etc. If we win the world cup with a foreign coach and some Italians and Brazilians with false passports what will it be worth? Nothing to me.

While I do accept that continental coaches have something to offer English players I don't think it will make much difference to the national side as all the players from Arsenal and Liverpool already have the benefit of continental managers.

sport.

You are sounding no different to the rest of the belly achers, moaning about having a foreign coach without offering any "english" alternative, if you don't want Erickson tell me which english coach you do want, don't tell me Terry Venables !!!

As for the foreign players playing for England that is just total ****e. Firstly they've got to want to, you mention Figo and Ronaldo, just why would they want to play for england anyway, it's not as if the players get paid, and anyway if they've already represented their country they couldn't anyway so we'd only be talking about unproven, unselected players and if England discovered a brilliant teenager with an english grandparent the same thing could happen now anyway or do you not think Terry Venables would want him!!!

Gooders
01-11-2000, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by fieldy:
it's not as if the players get paid...

Fieldy, I think you'll find that these days they get paid rather handsomely for representing their country.

Indeed, you could probably trace the real decline in the standard of our national team to the point at which this started to occur!

TOP CAT
01-11-2000, 09:53 PM
Although like many, I would prefer an English manager, I think we ought to give it a try.

if we're still s"""e then we can say; a foreign manager makes no difference, revert to plan A and get a Englishman in.

If we're successful? Well, we can argue about that later.

Blind_Eagle
02-11-2000, 09:12 PM

You sure about that selhurstparkflyer?

I thought the premier leagues first season was 92/93 and that the managers were:-

92/93 Scottish (MUFC)
93/94 Scottish (MUFC)
94/95 Scottish (BRFC)
95/96 Scottish (MUFC)
96/97 Scottish (MUFC)
97/98 French (AFC)
98/99 Scottish (MUFC)
99/00 Scottish (MUFC)

I thought that Leeds won the first division title in 91/92 i.e. the season before the start of the premiership thus confirming my foreigners only comment regarding successful premier managers?

Eagle of the East
03-11-2000, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by Leicester Eagle:
It is hugely significant that the top five clubs in England are managed by foreigners (Ferguson, Wenger, Houllier, Ranieri and O'Leary

This is Incorrect

The Top 5 clubs are currently:

1. Man U - scottish manager
2. Arsenal - French Manager
3. Liverpool - French Manager
4. Leicester - English Manager
5. Ipswich - Scottish Manager

So 3 out of the top 5 clubs are managed by BRITISH Managers.

------------------
Theres Only One Dougie Freedman!

exiled in Wales
03-11-2000, 03:16 PM
In the pub last night with some Welsh mates watching the Rugby league world cup match Wales V Lebanon.

Each team is made up of 11 players.

Lebanon had 5 players born in Lebanon - the rest seemed to be Aussies.

Wales had 2 players born in Wales - the rest were not good enough for England with a couple of Aussie rejects thrown in.

Is that what you want in football cos that's what'll happen. http://www.cpfc.org/ubb/wink.gif

To make it even worse Wales had a player who had played for England. As far as I could figure you still need a grandparent blood relative, but you can swap nationalities in Rugby - pure farce. Everytime the commentator said something like "and the WELSH are pushing forward.." I was thinking but most of them aren't bloody Welsh, same with Lebanon.

I'm not saying this WILL happen to English football, but it could. It all depends what price we are willing to pay for success.

Blind_Eagle
03-11-2000, 09:56 PM

if i missed the date by 1 year then i apologise. i must admit the prem league was formed by then but i stand to be corrected.
However my point is illustrated, the prem league is just as crap as the 1st division was just a different name so lets not get picky.

Ok, its just that if you're right then it rather blows my argument out of the water http://www.cpfc.org/ubb/wink.gif

selhurstparkflyer
04-11-2000, 04:40 AM
In the pub last night with some Welsh mates watching the Rugby league world cup match Wales V Lebanon.

Each team is made up of 11 players.

Lebanon had 5 players born in Lebanon - the rest seemed to be Aussies.

Wales had 2 players born in Wales - the rest were not good enough for England with a couple of Aussie rejects thrown in.

Is that what you want in football cos that's what'll happen. http://www.cpfc.org/ubb/wink.gif

To make it even worse Wales had a player who had played for England. As far as I could figure you still need a grandparent blood relative, but you can swap nationalities in Rugby - pure farce. Everytime the commentator said something like "and the WELSH are pushing forward.." I was thinking but most of them aren't bloody Welsh, same with Lebanon.

I'm not saying this WILL happen to English football, but it could. It all depends what price we are willing to pay for success.

Nobody wants to see that Exiled
But Rugby league is a joke sport and they have had to create ringer teams so that they can hold a 16 team tournament

There are very strict rules in footy and the fact is that the vast majority of English descended people that were born outside the UK are Commonwealth citizens. And we all know that Commonwealth countries are ****e at footy, so its highly unlikely we will have the same situation.

I can understand your fears, but I really don't think there is anything to worry about.

selhurstparkflyer
04-11-2000, 04:42 AM
Originally posted by Blind_Eagle:
You sure about that selhurstparkflyer?

I thought the premier leagues first season was 92/93 and that the managers were:-

92/93 Scottish (MUFC)
93/94 Scottish (MUFC)
94/95 Scottish (BRFC)
95/96 Scottish (MUFC)
96/97 Scottish (MUFC)
97/98 French (AFC)
98/99 Scottish (MUFC)
99/00 Scottish (MUFC)

I thought that Leeds won the first division title in 91/92 i.e. the season before the start of the premiership thus confirming my foreigners only comment regarding successful premier managers?

if i missed the date by 1 year then i apologise. i must admit the prem league was formed by then but i stand to be corrected.
However my point is illustrated, the prem league is just as crap as the 1st division was just a different name so lets not get picky.

Ian of Chatham
05-11-2000, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by fieldy:
The only name people can come up with is Venables, Terry F*****g Venables, apart from anything else what has he ever won?? The FA cup with Spurs, Woop de f*****g doo !!! He's not even fit to tie Erickson's laces !!! What took the absolute biscuit was when Gordon Taylor came on Talksport this morning moaning that it was selling out our hertitage etc he said,
I couldn't agree more with the comment about Venables not being fit to tie Eriksson's laces! As for Gordon Taylor's comments, if our experience is anything to go by, he would be selling a lot more if Venables got the job, like probably the Crown jewels to pay Venables salary.

All the very best of luck Sven, by the way in the last Olympics, Steve Redgrave was trained by a German coach. I don't see any of you who complained about Eriksson's appointment because he is foreign demand that Regrave hands back his medals because of the nationality of his coach.

The Omen
12-11-2002, 12:58 PM
Funny reading back through old threads! :)

RAF: Did you watch England over the World Cup?! :D