PDA

View Full Version : Jermaine Pennant

Coconut Monk
26-01-2003, 12:41 PM
Reported in the paper this morning saying we were eyeing 1m rated Pennant. Would like to see him here, but his position and the fact Arsenal paid 2m for him seem a bit strange. Would be a great signing though.

pete eagle
26-01-2003, 12:46 PM
What would worry me is where he would fit in?

Supa Ol
26-01-2003, 12:51 PM
Great player. Would love to have him at Palace. Can't really see it happening because Arsenal went to a lot of trouble to get him and he is doing so well for England U21 and Watford that I don't believe they would sell him, especially not at a bargain price like that. We can dream, though.

Niceaction
26-01-2003, 01:25 PM
Fantastic player with massive future ahead of him. How come we are being linked with him?

What?
26-01-2003, 01:38 PM
Interesting, surely wont happen though.

ROUTLEDGE02
26-01-2003, 07:56 PM
PENNANT,ZIDANE,FIGO WHAT ABOUT BECKS.ASLONG AS WE SELL ADEBOLA,WHO CARES!!!!!!!

Daniel_Nash
26-01-2003, 07:56 PM
Does someone else have your brain cell for the day?

PT109
26-01-2003, 07:58 PM
Yeah Daniel I agree.
I think he's a beefcake....

palacefan_72
26-01-2003, 08:23 PM
what game were you watching? muppet

Webb
26-01-2003, 10:02 PM
i very much doubt Arsenal would let him go for only half the price that they paid for him.

and there's no way you could fit Tommy, Wayne and Pennant in to the same team. As much as i would love so see him in a Palace shirt, it ain't gonna happen.

ozeagle
26-01-2003, 10:13 PM
may i reiterate, no one in, no one out...

Santos-er
26-01-2003, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by ozeagle
may i reiterate, no one in, no one out...

No! At least let us speculate a bit ;)

LLCOOLSTEVE
26-01-2003, 10:33 PM
I dont geddit, surely Mr Routledge is way too similar, just paper talk me thinks.

Seymore
26-01-2003, 10:49 PM
Which paper was it? Probably the same newspaper that had a story about a dog losing weight on the third page a few months ago.

Gollum
27-01-2003, 12:10 AM
Watford mate says he's a good player but a solo act and definitely not a a team player.
He returns to Arsenal this week form his loan at Watford.

Latvian
27-01-2003, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by pete eagle
What would worry me is where he would fit in?

Gray will prob Oxo then

IF this is true!

BaldEagle96
27-01-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Seymore
Which paper was it?

It was in the News of the World yesterday..

Can't see where he is going to play him unless TF/SJ know something we don't about a few of our current players....

Beanie
27-01-2003, 01:16 PM
I have just one question - what effect would there be in buying any midfield player on the poistion of a striker?

Totally pointless comparison. I won't even comment on the rest.

(just to point out - this relates to the idea that Pennant might replace Adebola above before the thread was merged - seems a bit out of sequence now. Just wanted to explain)

pedro
27-01-2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Latvian
Gray will prob Oxo then

IF this is true!

:lux: :hi: :lux:

kit82
27-01-2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Gollum
Watford mate says he's a good player but a solo act and definitely not a a team player.
He returns to Arsenal this week form his loan at Watford.

Yeh I have heard this, doesnt get on with other players all the time!

We couldnt afford the fee anyway!

yorkshire eagle
27-01-2003, 05:47 PM
i hurd at the game yesterday that we are looking to bring him in as a attacking midfield player

Clapham Grand
28-01-2003, 11:49 AM
What, to replace Black or Dougie??!!! I'd be surprised

ozeagle
28-01-2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Clapham Grand
What, to replace Black or Dougie??!!! I'd be surprised
AKI
:hi:

Benzhiyi
28-01-2003, 12:25 PM
Pennant is a fantastic player, and will play for England sooner rather than later.

I would be amazed if Arsenal sell him, particularly at such a bargain price. That said, they have already sold Sidwell and Upson - decisions that have left many Arse fans I know wide eyed in astonishment - so maybe there is a little hope.

As for replacing Black or Doogie, he's a better player than Tommy and a very different player than Dougie. I'd sign him, no question - but as I say, can't see it happening.

A loan for the rest of the season would be pretty tasty business though.... :)

pallet
28-01-2003, 12:42 PM
When does his loan at Watford run out?

Daniel_Nash
28-01-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Benzhiyi
Pennant is a fantastic player, and will play for England sooner rather than later.

I saw him play for England U19s vs Poland U19s (at WHL :D) last year or the year before. He cut in from the left, at halfway, beat 4 players and went to round the keeper and scuffed his shot :(!

Ability is there, but maybe not quite a team player. I am sure he would be if he was more confident with the players around him ;)

Beanie
28-01-2003, 01:01 PM
IF there is ANY question about his ability to be part of a team we should leave well alone. Our best hope of going up is as a "team" and the last thing we need is a prima donna in the dressing room, especially a prima donna the rest of the team know will be back to Arsenal as soon as a loan ends.

Duke
28-01-2003, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Seymore
Which paper was it? Probably the same newspaper that had a story about a dog losing weight on the third page a few months ago.

Leave Lindsey Dawn Mckenzie out of this.

Bring Pennett In.

Jimbo ?
28-01-2003, 01:12 PM
out of interest - where would we find a million quid???? If English football is in melt down - only a couple of teams would spend 1M - but he would be well worth it though

Latvian Eagle
28-01-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Beanie
IF there is ANY question about his ability to be part of a team we should leave well alone. Our best hope of going up is as a "team" and the last thing we need is a prima donna in the dressing room, especially a prima donna the rest of the team know will be back to Arsenal as soon as a loan ends.

Beanie are you a fan of Gray? If so I advise you to change the first part of this comment. Gray is not a team player, all he's interested in is himself, he's probably been playing bad the last few games, so no one comes in for him, and then he can go on a Bosman to someone in the summer. :veryangry

RDSdaEAGLE
28-01-2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Latvian Eagle
Beanie are you a fan of Gray? If so I advise you to change the first part of this comment. Gray is not a team player, all he's interested in is himself, he's probably been playing bad the last few games, so no one comes in for him, and then he can go on a Bosman to someone in the summer. :veryangry

Sorry Jm, that's not fair on the guy.

He's going through a rut at the moment. How do you know that he's only interested in himself?

Besides, he can't leave on a Bosman...he's not old enough to. We would have to receive a fee for him.

Latvian Eagle
28-01-2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by RDSdaEAGLE
Sorry Jm, that's not fair on the guy.

He's going through a rut at the moment. How do you know that he's only interested in himself?

Besides, he can't leave on a Bosman...he's not old enough to. We would have to receive a fee for him.

Ah Rob I should have guessed you are a Gray fan, but I was more of a Rubins, and I think Pennant would be better on our left too. Reasons why:

Gray is not:
a. Particularly skilful
b. Particularly fast
c. Particularly good at shooting
d. Particularly good at crossing.

And also he always has a strop when he's taken off.

Clapham Grand
28-01-2003, 01:41 PM
Don't get me wrong, Pennant would be an excellent signing. I just can't see him dropping a division permanently

GreatGonzo
28-01-2003, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Jimbo ?
out of interest - where would we find a million quid???? If English football is in melt down - only a couple of teams would spend 1M - but he would be well worth it though

A full house against Liverpool, the replay and then possibly a full house against Leeds - Thats well over 1m in unexpected income!

And Pennant would only be dropping a division for 6 months! :lux: :lux: :lux:

hong_kong_hg
28-01-2003, 01:48 PM
Yummy. Yes please :)

Samo*
28-01-2003, 01:59 PM
Ah Rob I should have guessed you are a Gray fan, but I was more of a Rubins, and I think Pennant would be better on our left too. Reasons why:

Gray is not:
a. Particularly skilful
b. Particularly fast

I aggree with d.apart from that,your talking a load of tripe.
:eek:

Latvian Eagle
28-01-2003, 02:03 PM
Well Samo when he tries to do some skill he always ends up tangling himself up instead of the defence.

Gazza2
28-01-2003, 02:05 PM
We would only sign him as a replacement for Routledge. So unless Wayne goes, I cannot see Pennant coming.

Latvian Eagle
28-01-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Gazza2
We would only sign him as a replacement for Routledge. So unless Wayne goes, I cannot see Pennant coming.

A replacement for Gray. Routledge is right wing, Pennant is left.

GreatGonzo
28-01-2003, 02:10 PM

Both can play on the right
Both can play on the left
Both can play behing the strikers

Explain your thinking

Beanie
28-01-2003, 03:10 PM

Where did Gray come from? I am not especially keen on Gray, nor particularly against him. I don't think he warrents the rave reviews he receives from some, nor the constant flack he gets from others. In the discussion of Pennant however I tihnk he is irrelevant. Whether he stays or goes we should not sign anybody who is a prima donna. IF (stress IF) Pennant has that reputation we need to be careful. One delicate ego can screw up a whole season of team spirit in no time.

On Gray however, what you suggest makes no sense. If he wants to walk he just doesn't sign a new deal, but any club signing him will still have to pay compensation. So, if Gray plays badly it would reduce the number of teams who would be willing to cough up the money, when he has had a bad spell. Far better to play WELL and not sign the deal when it is offered.

Daddy Long
28-01-2003, 03:13 PM
As far as I am aware, Pennant can play anywhere across midfield. He may also be able to play upfront, I'm not sure. If we could get him for 1mill it would be a fine piece of business.

Gazza2
28-01-2003, 05:12 PM
Pennant is an out and out RIGHT winger. Has been since his Notts County days. What have u lot been watching. Yes he sometimes cuts in, but he has always played right wing for England, Watford and Arse.

Latvian Eagle
28-01-2003, 05:14 PM
Pennant is an out and out RIGHT winger. Has been since his Notts County days. What have u lot been watching. Yes he sometimes cuts in, but he has always played right wing for England, Watford and Arse.

Well against Portsmouth this season he played left wing so :moo: to you.

Maidstoned Eagle
28-01-2003, 05:25 PM
Well against Portsmouth this season he played left wing so :moo: to you.

Against WBA this weekend he played on the right.

grovesy77
28-01-2003, 05:31 PM
Pennant would be a useful addition to the squad.
He can play on either wing (although he prefers the right) and is also capable of playing in the middle of the park.
Quality player - well worth looking at!

yorkshire eagle
28-01-2003, 08:02 PM
let me just clarify what i was told at the match, pennant is being looked at on a loan only basis at the mo:) he is being looked at to fill a role in the middle of the park:rolleyes: my friend who told me this says thay fancy him as someone who will play central who can go to either wing or pick up the ball and run with it and someone with a good PASSING rate:eek: the person who told my friend i must admit is usually spot on so its probable we are looking at him:) by the way his loan runs out on friday at watford we think:D

Latvian Eagle
28-01-2003, 09:32 PM
a. How long would we loan him for? Until the end of the season?

b. Is he cup tied? If not will Arsenal slap a ban on us?

c. Could this be a move to play him in midfield and drop Mullins back? Is Powell out for ages?

winston the dog
28-01-2003, 09:52 PM
5 in midfield, pennant and wayne wide outs, derry and aki holding midfielders, tom free role behind akinbiyi and freedman.
oxo gray who doesnt seem too interested.
but how likely is this to happen, would be fun though.

pete eagle
28-01-2003, 10:01 PM

Gray is not:
a. Particularly skilful
b. Particularly fast

he is skilful
of course he's fast, what tripe are you talking about. Watch the Liverpool game again and watch him chase after Diouf at full pelt and come back and tell me he's not quick
He's scored 5 from left wing back and attacking midfielder this season. Not too bad in my book
His crossing was getting better, Liverpool was a setback
He's disappointed to be taken off? ever thought of that?

Latvian Eagle
28-01-2003, 10:06 PM
Oh Pete, such a squirmish. You see far too much. Ever though Diouf might not be that fast? And Gray only scores 1 on 1. If he has a defender in front of him he scuffs his shot. Skilful enough to tangle himself and not the opposition too. And as I've said before, what good is a winger/Wingback if he can't cross?

pete eagle
28-01-2003, 10:10 PM
Diouf not quick - haha, that's funny.

Scores one on one only
Brighton at home,Rotherham Away,Wimbledon away - I refer you to those. He was under pressure from defenders

Latvian Eagle
28-01-2003, 10:14 PM
Diouf not quick - haha, that's funny.

Scores one on one only
Brighton at home,Rotherham Away,Wimbledon away - I refer you to those. He was under pressure from defenders

Diouf is about as quick as Smith said Rubins was, ie: Not very.

The three goals you mentioned, he had defenders nowhere near him. Certainly not in front of him. All his goals have been against **** teams.

pete eagle
28-01-2003, 10:21 PM
He was definitely under pressure at Rotherham and it wasn't one on one, Wimbledon, he had Mark Williams up his arse before Julian turned him. And Brighton was his best goal, turning and firing throught the defenders legs across the goal into the bottom goal. They may be cr@p teams in your view, but someone had to score the goals. You would have complained if he hadn't.

Latvian Eagle
28-01-2003, 10:24 PM
Would I? Sorry didn't know you controlled my brain and told me how to think. Strange that.

pete eagle
28-01-2003, 10:30 PM
Well you seem to find fault with everything he does.

Latvian Eagle
28-01-2003, 10:33 PM
Well you seem to find fault with everything he does.

Ever though that it's my opinion? I certainly don't rate him as highly as some do on these boards. I mean some ridiculous people think he should be in the England squad. :rolleyes:

Daniel_Nash
28-01-2003, 11:01 PM
Diouf is about as fast as Michael Owen is, ie, not as fast as Jesper Gronkjaer, Martin Jorgensen or Marc Overmars.. but still damn fast. However he is clumbsy at times.

I said this on sunday, Julian Gray looks too lightweight. Too skinny and not strong enough. If he was bigger and stronger he might be more confident to take on players and work harder. The crossing and set pieces does need to be worked on, but at times he can beat players like they aren't even there. Bit hit and miss, but still decent.

Beanie
29-01-2003, 08:47 AM
a. How long would we loan him for? Until the end of the season?

b. Is he cup tied? If not will Arsenal slap a ban on us?

c. Could this be a move to play him in midfield and drop Mullins back? Is Powell out for ages?

An attempt at answers -

a) don't know, wouldn't do a loan any way as it hinders the team

b) Yes - played for Watford

c) Powell could well play at Anfield (the two extra players TF refered to seem to be Powell and Freedman) so I don't actually see the need as Mullins will be back in midfield.

Daddy Long
29-01-2003, 08:55 AM
I saw on teletext last night Pennant quoted as saying that he will return to Highbury and fight for first team football. If he doesn't get enough games by the end of the season then he'll ask to leave. If thats what he wants to do I can't see him wanting to come out on loan again. :(

Coconut Monk
29-01-2003, 01:59 PM
I heard that Pennants loan was ending in 2 weeks, but Ray Lewington after the WBA game sounded as if Arsenal had recalled him, maybe I got it wrong but it sounded that way. He also said he was a wonderful talent but since arriving at Watford he has become more of a team player.