PDA

View Full Version : Do We Need To Sell Players ?

zonin2000
29-01-2003, 10:36 PM
Well, we already know that. But it was when I had a long break during my Spanish lecture that I actually realised that we have so many good players picking up a fat wage and doing **** all.

I started to pass the time by writing out my ideal Palace starting XI:

-------------------- Kolinko ------------------------

--------- Powell --- Symons --- Popovic ------------

-- Butterfield ---- Mullins ---- Derry ---- Gray ------

--------- Freedman --------- Black -------------

------------------ Adebola ---------------------

Bench:
Clarke
Aki
Johnson
Granville
Routledge

Which leaves Akinbiyi, Smith, Thomson, Williams, Antwi, Borrowdale, Fleming, Harrison and Berthelin not even in the squad, some of them picking up fat pay cheques.

Of course, getting rid of the surplus is easier said than done. But ideally, by getting rid of them bit by bit, we'd be left with a very competitive squad and a low wage bill- more youngsters can sit on the bench if we have injuries.

Also, the starting XI (whether or not you agree with mine) looks very strong. I would say ideal for the first division: a mean defence, a hardworking and solid midfield, but with no little creativity and an explosive frontline. Players like Routledge and Johnson are ideal to have on the bench, explosive and with the ability to turn a game. Routledge's development would be allowed to take place at it's own pace if he's not burdened with carrying the team.

Looking further forward, to the Premiership (not unrealistic at the moment), there are areas in the team to address.

1. Right wing-back- I'm not entirely confident that Butterfield is what we need in that position. Wing-back is the hardest position for which to find a player, but maybe someone with Premiership experience would be of benefit. Butterfield will, I'm sure, go on to become a very useful player for us, but I see him as a utility man whose primary role would be in central midfield.

2. Centre back cover- We are a little short of central defenders. Our squad is over loaded with full backs, but if one of our defensive trio gets injured we rely on Mullins to fill in, leaving a hole in the midfield. Antwi will hopefully go on to become a first team regular, but again, a wise old head would benefit the squad.

3. Centre forward- Can Adebola cut it in the Premiership? I'm a big fan, but if we could find someone better who would join us then we would give ourselves a better chance. I don't think Akinbiyi is the man either, but someone in their mould would fit into our system well, with any of Black, Freedman, AJ, Gray or Routledge behind. Could Williams fill this role? Or maybe we could have Clinton back ;).

4. Central Midfield- If we're in the Premiership, and any of these players are not, then if possible snap them up: Michael Brown, Muzzy Izzet, Gareth Williams, Matthew Holland.

5. Goalkeeper- Ok I'm being greedy now. Kolinko is superb 95% of the time. We probably couldn't find another 'keeper who is as good as him but also 100% reliable.

For me, only 1 and 2 are essential, 3 possibly. 4 and 5 would be lovely luxuries. Anyway, the aim of this thread is to cheer everyone up and get you thinking positively!

Let's not throw this chance away!

Dave
29-01-2003, 10:42 PM
I'd expect to lose three players by the end of the season [Gray/Kolinko/adebola] possibly one other [black - although this looks less likely now]

Of the remaining players - Harrison and Smith are long term injuries and may not play 1st team football again.

Antwi/Borrowdale/Williams are academy and on low wages - likely to play a roll going forward.

Neckinger Eagle
29-01-2003, 11:22 PM
For a start, you're not the management, so what you think is the strongest team may not tally with what the people who matter think is the strongest side. Always a shame, but a fact nonetheless.

Saying that, it is a little unfair to judge Smith and Harrison bearing in mind their long term injuries. Who knows where they fit into Trevor Francis' plans if they do get fit? I don't think Flemming is going to be dropped and sold bearing in mind he was rushed back into the first team, as captain, for the Liverpool game.

Dave - where are these players going then? The blinds come down on the transfer window at the end of the week. And surely Adebola can't be on a big salary because nobody else wanted him and SJ sold him a contract like he was selling a mobile phone?

I don't think our squad is that strong. We're going through a phase where (with injuries) I'm looking at the reserve team and wondering who these guys are? This is a healthy position if these guys are any good, but do we want a host of unknowns as back-up when we go through a patch of bad injuries?

Let it be. I'm contented right now.

ozeagle
29-01-2003, 11:27 PM
crazy post how will we survive on a squad minus 3...

Gooders
30-01-2003, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by Dave
I'd expect to lose three players by the end of the season [Gray/Kolinko/adebola] possibly one other [black - although this looks less likely now]

I assume you meant at the end of the season?

I think this rather depends on whether or not we get promoted.

Although I agree that Klinks will be off, either way.

Beanie
30-01-2003, 09:01 AM
Ever heard of injuries, lack of form or simple competition for places? The days of a squad marginally larger than the team on the pitch/bench are long gone.

Personally I agree with getting rid of dead wood and fringe players, who can replaced by the lads coming through from the Academy, but there is no evidence (although plenty of rumour) of a pressing need to get rid of decent players. If there was a major need Hayden would now be in Brum and the club would be 600k better off

Batsta
30-01-2003, 09:11 AM
Now we have almost reached February, cant Black & Gray start to find new clubs, ready for the start of next season?

GUCCI Eagle
30-01-2003, 09:11 AM
Dear Santa

Can we please have the smallest squad in the universe, one condusive with having to play children in the side if we have more than two injuries.

Yours

Little Johnny

Dave
30-01-2003, 09:21 AM
I assume you meant at the end of the season?

yes

dangerous Nigel
30-01-2003, 09:45 AM
It was only a couple of years ago when the cleaner was nearly on the bench because we had such a small squad due to administration. It's taken till now to get the squad together to get us through a season without asking the cleaner again. It was only a month ago when Adebola was our only recognise striker against Rotherham, if I remember right we were down to our bare that day as well

Gooders
30-01-2003, 09:58 AM
Ignoring the long term injured, we have a genuinely first-team squad that consists of:

Kolinko
Berthelin

Popovic
Symons
Powell
Fleming
Granville
Borrowdale
Antwi

Mullins
Butterfield
Derry
Thomson
Aki
Gray
Routledge

Akinbiyi
Adebola
Freedman
Johnson
Williams
Black

I'm sorry, I don't think that is a small or weak squad for this division.

The only reason we've ever looked remotely threadbare is that we had an appalling number of injuries.

Stands to reason that if we don't go up, we'll have to trim the numbers a bit.

BaldEagle96
30-01-2003, 10:22 AM
I am sure the squad will be trimmed down for next season if we fail to go up - but the thing that worries me is with a bad run of injuries (like this season) what kind of team would we be able to field if it was trimmed too much!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trolley
30-01-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by dangerous Nigel
It was only a couple of years ago when the cleaner was nearly on the bench because we had such a small squad due to administration.

Sir, it was NOT the "Cleaner" but the "Sweeper"
:D :D :p

kolinkins
30-01-2003, 10:49 AM
bearing in mind injuries, we can only really afford to lose 1 of the strikers (excluding williams, who must stay for the future). we need to keep all of the other players, excluding maybe thomson, who is out of his depth.

Maz
30-01-2003, 10:59 AM
Given our record with goalkeepers' health, I'd be seriously pi$$ed off to lose young Alex

jempie
30-01-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by zonin2000
Butterfield will, I'm sure, go on to become a very useful player for us, but I see him as a utility man whose primary role would be in central midfield.

Sounds familiar to certain other player at Palace?!
I disagree. If Butterfield is to make it, then it will be as a wing back. I can't see that he has the engine in him to track back (aki) or being the creative midfielder that we need.

zonin2000
30-01-2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by jempie
Sounds familiar to certain other player at Palace?!
I disagree. If Butterfield is to make it, then it will be as a wing back. I can't see that he has the engine in him to track back (aki) or being the creative midfielder that we need.

Thomson is nowhere near as versatile as Butterfield. I don't think Butterfield has enough pace to make it as a top class wing back, he does a job there at the moment. He has a good touch, keeps possesion as well as Thomson, but offers more both going forward and coming back.

We have an enormous squad for the first division. If we don't go up we'll need to trim it. It is ridiculous to have players on such high wages as Akinbiyi, Smith and Fleming just to have as back up to the bench. In the event of an injury crisis I'm more than happy to have the likes of Antwi, Williams and Borrowdale on the bench or even in the team. If we do go up we would need more quality throughout the squad. We can't do anything now, so it will be in the summer that the changes will occur.

Neckinger, I can't read Francis' mind, but I would think that Fleming does not figure in Francis' first team plans. He's not versatile enough, he can only play as a full back. Butterfield and (a fit) Smith would be ahead of him at right wing back.

GUCCI, we have a huge squad, probably as big as Portsmouth's, the biggest by far in the division. Losing two or three players will not leave us with a squad "condusive with having to play children in the side if we have more than two injuries".

Beanie
30-01-2003, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Batsta
Now we have almost reached February, cant Black & Gray start to find new clubs, ready for the start of next season?

Only if they go abroad - which would include Scotland. To stay in England they would have to wait until their contract expires. They would also have to find a club willing to pay the necessary compensation. Can't see clubs rushing to sign them personally. I think Jordan & Francis have another couple of months at least before they need to make a decision on what to offer.

On other comments - I think that any thoughts on our current squad based on "If we go up..." or "If we were in the Premiership..." make no sense. Surely nobody can argue that we have a Premiership squad, although we do have some Premiership players. Promotion would give SJ and TF a real problem - how much cash dare they risk to keep us up. But that is another problem

Sir.S.C Remembered
30-01-2003, 01:13 PM
I think he has a very good point. Also the scary thing from Gray and Black comments is that they do not seem to understand they cannot request the same amount og money as they would like this summer. Infact they will be probabaly getting a worse contract despite them deserving a better one and it will still be a good contract in terms of how everyone else's in the nationwide will be when theirs are re newed and I'm sure we won't make them pennyless!

zonin2000
30-01-2003, 01:25 PM
It will be a very interesting time for footballers like Black and Gray out of contract in the summer.

When does Kolinko's contract expire by the by?

rhiannapaul
30-01-2003, 01:59 PM
do you really want Black to go apart from Dougie not many better players who can pass and dribble and have that bit of magic that pops up from time to time to win a game. Mullins Gray, Black, Pop will go if we don't get up. keep them all when we go up .how much is it worth getting promotion?

Man of Kent
30-01-2003, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by zonin2000
Well, we already know that. But it was when I had a long break during my Spanish lecture.......

Glad we should give students more money so they can sit in Spanish Lectures thinking about their favourite Palace team and our finances.

:p

358 Eagle
01-02-2003, 03:46 PM
These students are a disgrace, drinking all fing day, doing no work. I say shoot them all

zonin2000
09-02-2003, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by 358 Eagle
These students are a disgrace, drinking all fing day, doing no work. I say shoot them all

So what do you do for a living?

358 Eagle
09-02-2003, 08:27 PM
Lets not change the subject here Mike!