PDA

View Full Version : Transfer Window Closed

BaldEagle96
01-02-2003, 07:54 AM
And thank goodness for that. Every day I woke up dreading reading somewhere that someone was on there wasy out. No-one in particular but just someone and then maybe another as we SJ cut costs.

Now the window is closed I can sleep easier and stop worrying. Julian isn't going anywhere yet. Neither is Hayden. Nor is Tommy. Nor is Alex. Nor are any of them!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

We have a great squad now and are more than capable of making the play off spots. If we don't then I am sure there will be a few changes in the close season - but for now we have more than enough ability to see us through..

Let's go Palace!!!!!!!!!!!!:p

Gooders
01-02-2003, 08:01 AM
Spot on BE96. :p

Surely if we were in really dire straits or if SJ was looking to bale out in the near future, players would have been moved on?

Now we have 4 months to make a serious bid for promotion.

Starting today. ;)

Gerry from Sussex
01-02-2003, 11:15 AM
I think SJ (along with 99% of league chairmen) would have sold one or two if the price had been right. That's just the way it is with finances being as stretched as they are. I'm not surprised no-one went though - there were relatively few transfers considering that this was the only chance the premiership clubs had. Money is getting tighter all round methinks - unless you're Kevin Keegan of course (god how I wish I had his ability to persuade people to part with so much money year after year!).

Beanie
01-02-2003, 11:49 AM
Certainly SJ would have sold "if the price was right" - but what that "right price" might be has to depend on how much the club need the money. Look at Derby - they have recently lost Poom, now Christie, Riggott and Higginbotham, four current internationals at various levels and got in about 6m. I feel the point is that if Palace had REALLY needed money, then the 600k offered for Hayden would have qualified as "the right price". Beyond that, of course, whatever SJ might have wanted nobody else could have been "moved on" as Gooders suggests - because before you can sell somebody must be happy to buy.

I wonder, on a broader point, just what effect this rather quiet transfer window will have on players wage requests, even coming up to a Bosman. The old threat that they'd go somewhere else if they didn't get what they wanted may ring a little hollow now. Sanity could be on it's way back!

Mal Come Ally Son
02-02-2003, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Beanie
Beyond that, of course, whatever SJ might have wanted nobody else could have been "moved on" as Gooders suggests - because before you can sell somebody must be happy to buy.

I wonder, on a broader point, just what effect this rather quiet transfer window will have on players wage requests, even coming up to a Bosman. The old threat that they'd go somewhere else if they didn't get what they wanted may ring a little hollow now. Sanity could be on it's way back!

Two excellent points, Beanie. The days of average players commanding wages of 6,000 or more per week, and transfer fees of 1,000,000 or more could be at an end.

David
02-02-2003, 07:50 PM
Our squad is one of the best in the division and we should make the play-offs.

Ticker Taylor
02-02-2003, 07:51 PM
And there I was expecting a 3 million pound bid for Adebola :bash:

ozeagle
02-02-2003, 08:05 PM
and Malakite owes me 10 for the bet on Mullins going,

hughff
03-02-2003, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by BaldEagle96
And thank goodness for that. Every day I woke up dreading reading somewhere that someone was on there wasy out. No-one in particular but just someone and then maybe another as we SJ cut costs.

Now the window is closed I can sleep easier and stop worrying. Julian isn't going anywhere yet. Neither is Hayden. Nor is Tommy. Nor is Alex. Nor are any of them!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

We have a great squad now and are more than capable of making the play off spots. If we don't then I am sure there will be a few changes in the close season - but for now we have more than enough ability to see us through..

Let's go Palace!!!!!!!!!!!!:p

Except it's only closed for the Prems. There is no window in Div 1 and if Derby decided to replace some of the talent they've lost, they probably have the money now to pick up one of our guys.

Beanie
03-02-2003, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by hughff
Except it's only closed for the Prems. There is no window in Div 1 and if Derby decided to replace some of the talent they've lost, they probably have the money now to pick up one of our guys.

Valid point about the window - but not about Derby I feel. Why did they sell those players? Needed the money to keep the bank manager happy & to cut the wage bill. Not likely to move now to spend the money and increase the wage bill again. Don't think there are many Div 1 clubs, including Portsmouth (lots of frees or cheaper signings gone there), who could come up with both the wages and the fee to attract both a player and tempt SJ to sell.

(Now waits for some massive bid from Wolves or similar)