PDA

View Full Version : Fave teams in the land of oz?

ozieaglesimon
16-11-2000, 06:02 AM
Seems to have been a few side-line comments wrt ozi football in the odd string lately so thought we could get it out in the open.
Brisbane Strikers for meeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Anyone else follow the team from the "Vegas" of the southern hemisphere? [ ie Bris-vegas]

Skid Row
16-11-2000, 06:10 AM
I dont really follow anyone but if I had to it would be the Melbourne Knights.

philaire
16-11-2000, 06:18 AM
Simon, you can keep "Vegas" (and I use the term loosely) in Brisbane. Adelaide City is my team. I'm biased with regards my birthplace, but they've been a great team to follow over the years, with an envious footballing pedigree. Only South Melbourne could lay claim to have provided consistent strength over the life of the NSL. City have done well over the years to get rightful representation in the national team, given the usual NSW/Vic bias. Bit of a challenge this year having lost Damien Mori, Alex Tobin and Brad Hassell but appear to have bounced back last few weeks. And of course of wider interest, ex-Palace Carl Veart is still on the books.

[This message has been edited by philaire (edited 16 November 2000).]

ozieaglesimon
16-11-2000, 06:31 AM
Agree with you philaire wrt pedigree of city, however the highs [few] and lows [many] of the strikers are hard to beat for pure stress/emotional value, plus their new strip aka Parma of seria A is unbeatable http://www.cpfc.org/ubb/eek.gif

interested in sydney.
16-11-2000, 07:46 AM
Northern Spirit as they are the only Sydney team where you don't have to be from Southern or Eastern Europe to follow them.AND we have ex Palace star and leading International you know who playing for us.Mind you all this could change if Sutherland get a team in the NSL in a year or two.

philaire
16-11-2000, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by interested in sydney.:
Mind you all this could change if Sutherland get a team in the NSL in a year or two.Soccer Australia are on the warpath to reduceSydney and Melbourne teams so I don't like your chances. Having been an observer of the nearly annual changes to the league for the last 22 years, I also take an extremely dim view of the proposal to launch a second division.

tomario
16-11-2000, 09:58 AM
To back up interested comment, the Spirit are the pommies team out here in Oz, even if they do play on a cricket pitch.

philaire
16-11-2000, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by tomario:
To back up interested comment, the Spirit are the pommies team out here in Oz.I'm not sure Perth Glory fans would agree with you, let alone poms in Bris, Mel, Adel etc! Careful how you equate "Oz" with "Sydney", tomario!

Interesting to compare the fortunes of Spirit, Glory and Carlton, all having been set up in recent years from scratch with no ethnic heritage. Glory probably special case Perth being one team city, but harder to fathom why Spirit have had solid support (although flagging?) whereas Carlton have struggled despite on-field success. A mate in Sydney suggested Spirit tapped into a geographical area (Nth Syd) that had previously been unrepresented?

[This message has been edited by philaire (edited 16 November 2000).]

Vic Eagle
16-11-2000, 01:07 PM
I only have one favourite team, and they play at Selhurst Park.

I do feel a bit sorry for Eastern Pride though...the new name doesn't seemt to have done them much good....

interested in sydney.
16-11-2000, 01:30 PM
Ah! But if Sutherland do get a team in it will be as the result of a merger with Wooloongong Wolves who at the moment play at a dump. The merged team would play at the Sharks ground , a good stadium , during the summer.So numbers would not increase.

tomario
17-11-2000, 09:40 AM
In spirits case it helps having a pub right next to the ground Interested. Can not remember it being the same case at tthe Sharkies ground myself.

interested in sydney.
17-11-2000, 11:23 AM
That is probably because there is a garden bar and licenced club behind the main stand,which we could not go to due to ths ankle biters being in attendance.

tomario
18-11-2000, 01:54 PM
Aha now I know. As for the ankle biters teach them young i say.

BertHowe
18-11-2000, 02:00 PM
On a little bit of a tangent, but shouldn't it be the West Coast 'Eagles'

hughff
18-11-2000, 02:02 PM
All I know is, like all Kiwi teams playing in an Aussie league, the Kingz have too many hurdles to jump. (Starting with how a basketball team !! could force them to change the spelling of their name for a soccer league. Why didn't everyone laugh the tall boys out of Sydney for that?)

Vic Eagle
18-11-2000, 05:23 PM
(i) I don't care about Australian football...except to meet other lovely Palace fans;

(ii) I'm rahter pissed currently;

(iii) I desperately want Palace to feckin' beat the arse off Tranmere today...

What chance have I of staying here til the end of the Tranmere match (given I'm supposed to be flying to Malaysia on business tomorrow afternoon)

Love

Vic Eagle

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.cpfc.org/ubb/smile.gif

Am now rapidly sobering up. But am still pissed enough to advertise the 'Steve Kember has 14" Todger' thread (in Memory Lane). Please tell me...trick of the light or justified childhood trauma?

[This message has been edited by Vic Eagle (edited 18 November 2000).]

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
18-11-2000, 08:09 PM
I watched Perth Glory about 5/6 times in 97/98 season - so ther're the boys for me!

-I heard they really ****ed up in the final last year or something!!??

-When i was there that Nigerian guy (samson ???) joined and they hammered a couple of sides.

Latvian Eagle
19-11-2000, 01:04 AM
woh's the ex Palace player who plays for Northern Spirit???

------------------
Bring back the Yellow and Black FA Cup final kit!!!!

paul of palace
19-11-2000, 01:14 AM
On Sky in the uk on fridays at about 5 they show highlights of the weeks games in the ozzie league.Last week they showed Adelaide with Carl Veart playing.They had an attack and he put it wide with the crowd all giving him donkey noises.Nothing changes down under then.Good to hear all the old english chants and who was the bloke at that game with Veart wearing the Adidas Palace top from a couple of years back?? Think Palace should take a look at that keeper called Henderson as well.he played a blinder.

interested in sydney.
19-11-2000, 01:28 AM
YEP perth stuffed it big time 3 - 0 up let in 2 in the last 10 and went down on a pen. Shoot out. Henderson not bad a bit young and prone to mistakes but will be a good keeper.

tomario
19-11-2000, 03:30 AM
Even legendry defender of late 80's early 90's fame Jeff Hopkins is manager out here. As for spirit the legendry Craig Foster now plays for them.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
19-11-2000, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by tomario:
As for spirit the legendry Craig Foster now plays for them.

Maybe we should try and sign him if he's that good.
http://www.cpfc.org/ubb/wink.gif

Melbourne eagle
19-11-2000, 09:59 AM
Just can't get interested in Oz club football. Until the whole league comprises teams without particular ethnic backings or AFL links I won't go. How can a Western Bulldog AFL fanactic follow Carlton in the NSL ? I'll stick with Palace.

ozieaglesimon
20-11-2000, 02:07 AM
sbs give a pretty good round up of the weekend games on sunday arvo?

philaire
20-11-2000, 04:37 AM
Originally posted by paul of palace:
On Sky in the uk on fridays at about 5 they show highlights of the weeks games in the ozzie league.You get better coverage than I do in Australia! But my problem's not having cable. To see it free to air, I have to wait till after midnight midweek - so I don't bother.

philaire
20-11-2000, 06:56 AM
Wasn't aware of that Simon. When on Sundays? Thought most of their (non-UK) coverage was Saturdays.

ozieaglesimon
20-11-2000, 07:25 AM
well mr philaire there are two weekly programs;
on the ball, sundays 11:30 am
oz soccer round-up, world sports, 7 pm mondays
hope that helps, see ya.

Skid Row
20-11-2000, 07:53 AM
Originally quoted by Melbourne eagle
How can a Western Bulldog AFL fanactic follow Carlton in the NSL?
I think this question makes more sense Melbourne eagle - How can an AFL fanatic follow the Western Bulldogs?

Now that is a much better question. http://www.cpfc.org/ubb/tongue.gif

Melbourne eagle
20-11-2000, 10:33 AM
Skid Row - Western Bulldogs and Palace - never a dull moment with either - plenty of highs, lows and cynicism from others !

philaire
20-11-2000, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Melbourne eagle:
Skid Row - Western Bulldogs and Palace - never a dull moment with either - plenty of highs, lows and cynicism from others ! Agreed, mr melbourne. I enjoy a similar experience with the Crows - whereas you must find the Hawks boring to follow, eh Skid!?

anti-addick
22-11-2000, 11:43 PM
Carlton sounds too much like Charlton. I hate them already.

Up the Spirit !!

wedgetail
24-11-2000, 04:58 AM
It has to be WOLLONGONG CITY
by far the second best team the world has ever seen

interested in sydney.
24-11-2000, 11:16 AM
I thought it was Woollongong Wolves, with a ground about as good as Colchester.

ozieaglesimon
24-11-2000, 11:28 AM
which oz team has the crowd record for the nsl i hear you ask? Strikers thats who!!!!!!!!!! 96 grand final i think 40 000 people and brisbane wins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wedgetail
24-11-2000, 06:26 PM
I thought it was Woollongong Wolves, with a ground about as good as Colchester.

oops yes a bit of nostalgia, of course the city has been dropped.

The Australian champions are indeed simply Wollongong Wolves

<a href="http://www.wollongongwolves.com.au/grandstand_map.html">

tomario
25-11-2000, 04:08 AM
Go the Spirit, who won 2-0 against Perth last night, but I was to pissed to remember much of the game

interested in sydney.
25-11-2000, 12:34 PM
Disgusting I'm glad I could 'nt make it if all you go for is to drink and not watch Australia's answer to the sons of Pele.

tomario
26-11-2000, 03:51 AM
I have to blame my Boro mate Interested, it was one of the few times hes let off the leash by his missus, and he wanted to start chucking down the ales at 4pm

ozieaglesimon
26-11-2000, 07:30 AM
It gladens my heart to see the wonderful class of palace supporters we have here in oz, more beer to ya i say!

tomario
27-11-2000, 09:06 AM
Its called downing 10 Schoonewrs of Coopers in two hours that does it to you. Only found out yesterday that it its 5>8% alcohol, no woner I had a hangover Saturday morning.

ozieaglesimon
27-11-2000, 11:51 AM
Good stuff that coopers eh tomario, my favourite beer the coopers sparkling ale.
Oh and its schooner[s] as in the sailing ship, although what that has to do with beer i dont know?
Brisbane strikers 1 sydney united 1 [and a brawl in the crowd apparetly
Coopers make a special extra stron ale too gets up to 8.5% http://www.cpfc.org/ubb/smile.gif

tomario
28-11-2000, 09:32 AM
Over 8%? Sounds good to me

ozieaglesimon
28-11-2000, 11:02 AM
They recomend drinking it siting down! Tastes bloody good too.

interested in sydney.
29-11-2000, 01:25 PM
And I bet its bloody cheaper than Speckled hen!

Matty
29-11-2000, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by philaire:
Originally posted by Melbourne eagle:
Skid Row - Western Bulldogs and Palace - never a dull moment with either - plenty of highs, lows and cynicism from others ! Agreed, mr melbourne. I enjoy a similar experience with the Crows - whereas you must find the Hawks boring to follow, eh Skid!?

Hawthorn - highs of the 80's lows of the nineties. Not exactly as roller coaster as palace, but the hawks are still the only team for me!

philaire
29-11-2000, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Matty:
Hawthorn - highs of the 80's lows of the nineties. Not exactly as roller coaster as palace, but the hawks are still the only team for me!Crikey, two Hawks fans on the BBS! Too much to handle, although you sound as though you might not be as brutal as Skid Row in your dedication

ozieaglesimon
30-11-2000, 11:33 AM
And I bet its bloody cheaper than Speckled hen!

What is speckled hen?

tomario
30-11-2000, 12:03 PM
Speckled Hen is a rather potent english bitter. Is it still $7 down your local Interested?

ozieaglesimon
05-12-2000, 10:05 AM
Brisbane Strikers 2 Sydney United 1, yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssss!!!!!! http://www.cpfc.org/ubb/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by ozieaglesimon (edited 05 December 2000).]

interested in sydney.
06-12-2000, 02:03 AM
I assume so although I faint every time I go to the bar and even think of paying $7 for a beer. Have a cricket meeting to night so will inquire.

tomario
06-12-2000, 09:43 AM
Next time I pop down, I will stick to the Coopers myself.