PDA

View Full Version : Wrong System?

PhilD
20-09-2003, 07:56 PM
After watching todays game I feel more than ever that Kember is making a big mistake in playing a 3-5-2 formation. The defence looked prone to errors every time WBA went forward and we were very lucky to end up with a point. It seems to me that Kember simply fits players into this system even if it means playing people in unfamiliar positions, Jamie Smith has been moved all over the place, Borrowdale is being asked to cover the whole of the left side on his own and Johnson (who ran his socks off today) is playing behind the front two. I'm getting fed up of seeing the midfield over-run and lacking creativity, surely Watson should be playing after starting the season so promisingly. Another worrying thing is how narrow Palace have become using this formation, we are not playing to Shipperley's strengths at the moment, he needs more crosses into the box and was starved of decent service today. We also look very vulnerable at the back when playing 3 centre backs and the oraganisation other teams have is just not there. The worrying thing for me is that Kember doesn't seem to learn from previous games and change the formation, whenever we have gone to a 4-4-2 the defence has looked more stable and the midfield has been stronger yet he opts still to return to a formation I have yet to see work well this season. The sign of a good manager should be that he learns from his mistakes and alters his tactics accordingly, I have yet to see any evidence of Steve doing this. Would it not suit Palace better to play a 4-4-2 with the players we have?

wedgetail
20-09-2003, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by PhilD
Would it not suit Palace better to play a 4-4-2 with the players we have?
yes

mikestock
20-09-2003, 09:21 PM
would be better if we had a genuine left sided midfielder (hughes is a central modfielder with a left foot). howeve i'm starting to think. YES.

Mal Come Ally Son
20-09-2003, 09:39 PM
My post match views initially had most of the players marked down as poor - but I too concluded that it is at least partly the system that we are playing.

We have a midfield packed with players and yet the the most creative pass we see is the long punt for Shipps to attempt to chase, or for AJ. I donít see how a creative player like Hughes can have been transformed into yet another midfield harrier Ė as if we donít have enough is Derry, Butterfield, Aki et al

No wonder AJ has to run and run - fetching and carrying - if he didn't he'd get buggar all of the ball.

And even with 5 - we still get overrun, or at least matched in midfield. Perhaps 3 - 6 - 1 is something we can try

The players are being forced into a system - shouldn't we be using a system that fits their abilities best? In my view that is 442