PDA

View Full Version : what exactly happened to the ref???


sydney eagle
21-09-2003, 09:36 AM
I know he was knocked out but how did it happen? at first I thought the commentator said the ball struck him,then he said Hughes knocked him out:confused:

so can anyone shed some light on this?

we_8_brighton
21-09-2003, 09:40 AM
http://forums.cpfc.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41507

sydney eagle
21-09-2003, 09:42 AM
oops...didn't see that

cheers mate:p

Jim Cannons Moustache
21-09-2003, 09:45 AM
no idea to be honest, tackles were going in in midfield, hughes was getting stuck in, play carries on, look back ref is lying on the floor out cold.

loved the urgency of the st johns chappie in the hat who was taking a leisurely stroll across the ground with the ironing board to lift the ref onto the stretcher. you could almost hear him thinking "ah its a lovely day, why bother rushing, he'll probably be dead by the time i get there anyway..... ooh look a butterfly ahhh.....I fancy a jam scone...."

sydney eagle
21-09-2003, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Jim Cannons Moustache
loved the urgency of the st johns chappie in the hat who was taking a leisurely stroll across the ground with the ironing board to lift the ref onto the stretcher. you could almost hear him thinking "ah its a lovely day, why bother rushing, he'll probably be dead by the time i get there anyway..... ooh look a butterfly ahhh.....I fancy a jam scone...." LOL.. Gary O'reilly mentioned some huge fat guy just standing around doing nothing as well

Gooders
21-09-2003, 10:06 AM
It's interesting that one paper says he was injured whilst "trying to calm a fracas". That's b0ll0cks, I think.

There was a bad tackle by a WBA player, the ref was very close by but didn't penalise it - the tackles started coming in thicker and faster and he just got wedged in the middle.

If he'd got a grip in the first place, it wouldn't have happened.

fnord
21-09-2003, 10:31 AM
on Sky Sports 1 now - ow

Men At Work
21-09-2003, 10:56 AM
Neither thread seems to have specified exactly who collected the ref. Can someone supply the person and anatomical part that sent him down?

christopher
21-09-2003, 11:00 AM
Hughes. Head.

AJ
21-09-2003, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by sydney eagle
LOL.. Gary O'reilly mentioned some huge fat guy just standing around doing nothing as well

That no doubt was Mr Shipperely:sob:

sydney eagle
21-09-2003, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by AJ
That no doubt was Mr Shipperely:sob: after seeing him first hand I have to agree 100%;)

Ruskin Old Boy
22-09-2003, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by christopher
Hughes. Head.

Cheek fracture. Eight stitches in the mouth. Ouch. According to Hughes "the ref banged his head against mine. It all happened so fast".

Missie Eagle
22-09-2003, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by Gooders
It's interesting that one paper says he was injured whilst "trying to calm a fracas". That's b0ll0cks, I think.

There was a bad tackle by a WBA player, the ref was very close by but didn't penalise it - the tackles started coming in thicker and faster and he just got wedged in the middle.

If he'd got a grip in the first place, it wouldn't have happened.

I wa feeling a little bored yesterday and so I decided to send an email to the Independent who write this report, telling them (very politely mind you) that this was a load of rubbish.

I had a reply back from an individual saying that he had spoken to his colleague who was at the game and 'there was a fracas in progress when the referee was knocked unconscious.'

Was I at a different game on Saturday because I did not see this happen. Nor have I seen it either of the times it has been shown on Sky. Can anyone confirm this?

Gooders
22-09-2003, 08:16 AM
There was no fracas.

There were some industrial strength tackles which the ref had once again decided to do nothing about.