PDA

View Full Version : How Important Is the League Cup?

monkey
23-09-2003, 12:34 PM
Well I suppose you'll see by the size of the attendance tonight what a lot of people think of It,not just at Selhurst,but most other games tonight!!
So how Is It for you?
I strangely look forward to these early league cup games,I Just think It's a nice little distraction from the stress of the league where I've always got this feeling that we have to win at all costs,we all want out of this division and nothing else matters but a win!!!
But the game tonight and other league cup games at this stage I've always got the feeling that well If we lose we lose,It doesn't really matter,the league Is more Important,but If we win, then a win's a win,a nice little confidence booster and the chance for a decent draw In the next round!!

So all In all I tend to chill out and really enjoy these games,and at £10 a ticket................everyone's a winner!!!!:p :D :lux:

Sluggo
23-09-2003, 01:04 PM
I think the League / Worthington / Carling / whatever cup is pretty much what you make it. It's all very well for those Premiership clubs to field "under-strength" teams, but if you think it's one of only three trophy's available and given everyone elses appathy towards it, it could be our best chance to win something. Therefore, GO FOR IT!

Dodger
23-09-2003, 01:15 PM
What's the furthest round we've reached in this cup?

I think they should make it nationwide league teams only. Half the premiership aren't really interested and the rest should be left to concentrate on not getting relegated.

Daddy Long
23-09-2003, 01:17 PM
Only Holmesdale Lower and Main Stand are open tonight.

monkey
23-09-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Dodger

we've graced the semi-final on 3(I think It Is) occasions!!!!:lux:

as216
23-09-2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by monkey
we've graced the semi-final on 3(I think It Is) occasions!!!!:lux:

Yup, 1992/93, 1994/95 and 2000/01

I actually quite enjoy these games - gives me a chance to sample different parts of the ground.

Dorking .Eagle
23-09-2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Dodger

Semi Final 3 times ('93, '95, '01)

The apathy of a handful of Premier clubs is to our adavntage. Wouldn't hear many complaining if we drew Br*ghton in this competition.

Daddy Long
23-09-2003, 01:23 PM
I like this competition. How many times can you turn up to Selhurst and have a fait to middling chance that Palace will put 5 past someone?

Riccardo
23-09-2003, 01:25 PM
Where are the Doncaster fans sitting ?

Scroatey
23-09-2003, 01:26 PM
I think it's great. Come on, in English football we are involved in one league, and only two cups, both of which offers riches and prizes galore. Without the winning in the early rounds we aren't going to get to the big games against the Liverpools and Leeds of this country!

I think ticket allocation for later rounds home/away should be based on attendance in the early rounds - considering last year's performances that might make a few people sit up.

By the way - I WILL BE THERE!!!

ozeagle
23-09-2003, 01:28 PM
great if for nothing else as a betting medium

Scroatey
23-09-2003, 01:29 PM
We're going to win it - I have a feeling - a very drunken feeling!

:lux: :lux: :lux: :lux:

monkey
23-09-2003, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Riccardo

The whitehorse I believe!!!

northern bum on my seat!!!:sob:

BringBackSasa
23-09-2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Daddy Long
I like this competition. How many times can you turn up to Selhurst and have a fait to middling chance that Palace will put 5 past someone?

Not many with Br*ghton having been relegated.

moverman
23-09-2003, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Riccardo

They'll fill the Whitehorse.

adrenalin john
23-09-2003, 03:36 PM
I love the league cup, unimportant in the early rounds ie don't car if we win or lose. Then a chance of glory if we get through to quarters or semis. I also have a feeling that sooner or later a Div 1 side will go all the way --- you never know could be us

andy m
23-09-2003, 03:53 PM
I love it. The chance to go and watch a competetive match, with the right to feel good if we win, but without having to feel too bothered if we don't, the possibility of seeing a thrashing against a lesser team, and the chance to moan about it when it doesn't happen, the chance to watch some fringe/young players battle hard for a place in the squad, and some regulars play like garbage AND the possibility of a penalty shoot out.

Whats not to love?

hughff
23-09-2003, 09:40 PM
It's a competition that I want us to win.

andy m
24-09-2003, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by andy m
I love it. The chance to go and watch a competetive match, with the right to feel good if we win, but without having to feel too bothered if we don't, the possibility of seeing a thrashing against a lesser team, and the chance to moan about it when it doesn't happen, the chance to watch some fringe/young players battle hard for a place in the squad, and some regulars play like garbage AND the possibility of a penalty shoot out.

Whats not to love?

And I got all of that except the penalties!!!

firesign
24-09-2003, 09:41 AM
A win, is a win, is a win.

A couple more goals for AJ can only help his confidence, even if they were penalties.

Hopefully we'll get a home draw against a Premiership club next time.

EagleSE24
24-09-2003, 09:41 AM
So how many fans did Doncaster bring?

Gooders
24-09-2003, 09:42 AM
Because so many of the top clubs do not take it seriously, it's pretty much the only remaining chance clubs like ours have of winning something, and even making it into Europe.

It should probably be our number one priority!

Fide et Fiducia
24-09-2003, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by EagleSE24

450-500 I would estimate, great turnout all things considered.

Men At Work
24-09-2003, 09:54 AM

Somewhere around 580 was mentioned on the radio.

EagleSE24
24-09-2003, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Men At Work
Somewhere around 580 was mentioned on the radio.

I'm amazed by that. They must really look up to us! :lux:

sydnsteve
24-09-2003, 10:09 AM
When is the draw for the next round?

Pistike
24-09-2003, 10:21 AM
Can someone remind me of our three league cup semis please?

I remember going to Highbury for one of them and I guess that Liverpool game when Clinton scored twice was another but was the third?

Reckon I must have witnessed it but can't remember.

Men At Work
24-09-2003, 10:22 AM
I'm amazed by that. They must really look up to us! :lux:

They've been in the Conference for the last five years since relegation (after their former chairman went to jail after burning down the ground for an insurance job) so we are probably the biggest team they've played in a number of years.

EagleSE24
24-09-2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Pistike
Can someone remind me of our three league cup semis please?

I remember going to Highbury for one of them and I guess that Liverpool game when Clinton scored twice was another but was the third?

Reckon I must have witnessed it but can't remember.

The other one was Liverpool in 94 or 95. The same year we played ManU in the semi of the FA cup and got relegated.

AJ1969
24-09-2003, 10:28 AM
I like the league cup. Kind of a less stressed out version of the FAC up. I also like playing the lower league sides. I have especially fond memories of the 2000 / 2001 run.

andy m
24-09-2003, 11:01 AM
The other one was Liverpool in 94 or 95. The same year we played ManU in the semi of the FA cup and got relegated.

That was when Alan Smith joked after we lost at Anfield that he got it right for the first 88 minutes or something then ••••ed up the last two. ••••. Home leg I spent laughing at the Jiffy condom advertising hoardings. Luminous yellow on black if I remember rightly.

Chobham Eagle
24-09-2003, 04:51 PM
With mid-table beckoning and with the 'big boys' taking the FA Cup seiously I think we should take the League Cup very seriously. If we draw Arsenal in the next round would you rather we beat them or get three points in the next league game?

I'll go for a victory over Arsenal - even if it's their 2nd XI

monkey
24-09-2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by sydnsteve
When is the draw for the next round?

saturday lunch time I think!!!

alexthefatdawg
24-09-2003, 07:28 PM
The draw is noon on Saturday on Sky

I've said it before and I'll say it again

My one unfulfilled ambition in life is to see Palace win a major trophy. We ain't gonna wion the premiershit and the FA Cup is pretty unlikely so this is the big one for me

we_8_brighton
24-09-2003, 08:23 PM
After seeing half-full grounds around the country in this competition i don't think many people take it seriously.
I want palace to win their games in this cup, but i ain't to bothered when they go out - unless their cheated out like last year by them twats from sheffield.

JJ
25-09-2003, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by Pistike
that Liverpool game when Clinton scored twice

Once. Rubins scored the other.

BaldEagle96
25-09-2003, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by alexthefatdawg
The draw is noon on Saturday on Sky

I thought it was at 5.30pm on Saturday evening!!

I would much rather we drew little teams away in the first couple of rounds as I would definately go to them (chance of a new ground etc), whereas I really cannot be bothered to go to the home games with so few people there. I know one could say that if everyone came along it would be a far better atmosphere, but it is not always that easy/worthwile. Many of us live a fair distance away and even have to take time of work just to attend home midweek games and I for one would rather keep that back for the more important games!!

cpfcben
25-09-2003, 09:25 AM
it isn't important