PDA

View Full Version : Away fans in the Whitehorse

trufan
24-09-2003, 05:48 PM
Much, much better last night. Just like the old days! Two sets of fans facing each other and exchanging pleasantries - albeit at a distance. Two thousand seats is more than enough for most away followings, with a possible spillover into the Whitehorse end of the AW for the bigger turnouts.

Main advantage would be solid home support around three quarters of the ground. That could only improve the atmosphere as songs spread more easily. Meanwhile, the acoustics in the Whitehorse would automatically give the home fans a head start in the volume stakes! Come on Palace, you know it makes sense - relocate the family area and put the away mobs in the "Away End" permanently.

Unless, of course, the BBS knows better . . . ;)

Nelson Muntz
24-09-2003, 05:52 PM
Why should we give up our seats?
The away fans should have the lower Holmesdale and you should re-locate to the Arthur Waite or Main Stand.

Neil the Eagle
24-09-2003, 05:55 PM
God the NIMBY brigade were quick off the mark here...

I'm with Trufan, but the Exec box holders probably wouldn't like it too much, if last night was anything to go by.

Stonewall
24-09-2003, 05:58 PM
Yes home fans in the arfar' make more noise in there, leave us Family types alone, I have a good seat where I am, if I had to move I bet the seat would'nt be any near as good:hmph:

Nelson Muntz
24-09-2003, 06:06 PM
This really pisses me off.
The Whitehorse end is the family end. We have our kids with us. We don't have much bad langauge, bad gestures, idoits or trouble. It's a safe place for us to watch the game with our children (The loyal home and away fans of the future) and have a good time.
Why is it that you lot who don't have or care about kids always want us to move?
Why should I have to sit in an area of the ground which is more expensive, with, no doubt, more bad langauge and has the now famous! Dirty Thirty nearby?
Why would you want them moved anyway? Surely it's easier to bait the away fans with your humorous! songs from where they are now. It's easy for you to gesture to the away fans from where they are, you can get eye contact can't you? (Be careful though, cos Cardiff are coming soon)
Is this about the Holmesdale getting outsung every week? If it is, it's your own fault. Sing louder.

paulhgc2002
24-09-2003, 06:35 PM
THE away fans should go into the main stand right hand section as u look at it from the arthur wait ......it makes so much sense .......but ............:lux: :lux: stick em in the main stand :lux:

pallet
24-09-2003, 06:38 PM
So what was all that about last night with the Doncaster fans and the exc boxes?

Brett
24-09-2003, 06:40 PM
Yorkie's getting a bit excited because of seeing electricity for the first time probably...

as216
24-09-2003, 07:32 PM
Think some things were getting chucked down from a couple of boxes.

Skin Up
24-09-2003, 07:36 PM
There was a group of around 20 Doncaster fans getting a heavy police escourt from Sth Norwood Weatherspoons to the ground who didn't seem like the sharpest knifes in the draw and who certainly wouldn't have been upset at finding trouble.

On topic I like the away fans where they are, I just wish we didn't give them the whole AW whenever there are segregation problems, in those circumstances maybe putting them in the Whitehorse would be a better idea (or in the case of Scumwall banning them full stop)

c_block_lad
24-09-2003, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Nelson Muntz
This really pisses me off.
Why should I have to sit in an area of the ground which is more expensive, with, no doubt, more bad langauge and has the now famous! Dirty Thirty nearby?

Dirty 30 nearby? Where is "nearby" in the Holmesdale Stand? Block A, Block F, Block C? Where?
:rolleyes:

as216
24-09-2003, 08:18 PM
Anywhere is too close.

trufan
24-09-2003, 08:22 PM
Why is it that you lot who don't have or care about kids always want us to move?

I do have kids. I sat with one in the Whitehorse on Saturday. God, it was quiet! The Whitehorse became the family area comparatively recently. I'm not suggesting you mingle with "us hooligans", merely that the existing family area might relocate elsewhere - perhaps back to the Main Stand, with prices pegged accordingly.

Why would you want them moved anyway? Surely it's easier to bait the away fans with your humorous! songs from where they are now. It's easy for you to gesture to the away fans from where they are, you can get eye contact can't you?

Personally, I tired very quickly of the novelty of seeing 300 Grimsby fans in the compound next to the Holmesdale - and the accompanying mindless taunts. The consequence of this, inevitably, was that all the Palace singers (such as they are) gravitated to one corner of the ground to bait the visiting fans. That leaves vast swathes of the Holmesdale populated by non-singers and damages the atmosphere on which the players purportedly thrive. In my day ;) our singers stood in the centre of the terrace and the noise radiated out in all directions. (Save for the pitch, of course, where the lack of a roof ensured no-one heard a bloody thing!)

Is this about the Holmesdale getting outsung every week?

Pretty much. Yes. You enjoy that, do you? :confused:

biggus mickus
24-09-2003, 09:14 PM
Having sung my heart out in the Holmesdale terrace, knowing it will disapear into the sky. Then moving to the Arfur, and hearing the noise increase. For me there is no other choice. More noise from the Arfur.
Was the only reason the family enclosure moved, to cater for the boxes?

cpfc4ever
25-09-2003, 09:20 AM
IM UP FOR THEM BEING THAT END JUST PUT HALF OF HTE MAIN AS AN END FOR THE FAMILY, IT WOULD SURLY MAKE THE ATMOS MUCH BETTER DURING THE GAMES

timheald
25-09-2003, 09:30 AM
the atmos at selhurst has been absolute pony after the athur was all seating.........

AndyStreet
25-09-2003, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by c_block_lad
Dirty 30 nearby? Where is "nearby" in the Holmesdale Stand? Block A, Block F, Block C? Where?

You tell us. You're the one with the school boy obssession with them. :hmph:

monkey
25-09-2003, 12:52 PM
I sit In the whitehorse and although I like my seat,I think It would be an Ideal end for the away fans,that way when we play brighton or millwall etc............there'll only be 2,000 of them,even SJ couldn't squeeze 5/6000 Into that end!!!!:p

Nelson Muntz
25-09-2003, 01:03 PM
I don't know where they are now. That's just the point. We sit in the family stand and thats how it should stay.
I have only seen the Dirty 30 once to my knowledge. That was seeing them lined up against a wall in South Norwood Hill by the law after the Stoke game last season.
I don't enjoy hearing Palace getting outsung every home game. I want us to have the loudest fans in the country, which I think we do have at away games.
Andy Street. I'm disppointed with you having a pop at me after I defended your woeful attempt at the half time challenge against the Dons last season.....!

I just want you lot who are happy to sit in the seats you have to let us sit in the seats we're happy with.

AndyStreet
25-09-2003, 01:14 PM
Um I wasn't having a pop at you. I was having a pop at the "lad", who seems to have a perception of himself as some sort of superior fan to others, in spite of his rather childish obssession with hooliganism. I have absolutely no problem with the WHL end being the family end.

Nelson Muntz
25-09-2003, 01:17 PM
Sorry. I knew you couldn't be having a go at me after I cheered (laughed at) you so loudly.....!

AndyStreet
25-09-2003, 01:23 PM
My efforts were both valiant and technically accomplished. The goals were simply too small.

Noodles 42
25-09-2003, 01:45 PM
I'm with Mr. Muntz on this one.

Having said that, I'd like to see the away support in the Holmesdale lower with our vocal support in the upper tier and the arfur. Selhurst may not be the 'nice place to visit' that it is now for the away support.

c_block_lad
25-09-2003, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by AndyStreet
You tell us. You're the one with the school boy obssession with them. :hmph:

:rolleyes: Carry on posting dribble

AndyStreet
25-09-2003, 05:25 PM
:rolleyes: Carry on posting dribble

Dribble: What your ilk excrete from their mouths due to inactivity in the frontal lobe area.

Drivel: What your ilk speak.

Next time you wish to talk patronisingly son, make sure you can do so without using misnomers, and in coherent English.

Many thanks

c_block_lad
25-09-2003, 05:36 PM
So since when have I had an "obssession" with football hooliganism?

Next time you wish to talk patronisingly son, make sure you can do so using correct facts and not lies.

Many thanks

AndyStreet
25-09-2003, 06:14 PM
So since when have I had an "obssession" with football hooliganism?

Next time you wish to talk patronisingly son, make sure you can do so using correct facts and not lies.

Many thanks

From the fact that in numerous threads about football hooliganism you talk about the subject like you're some well versed expert.

Originally posted by c_cock_lad
Great Gonzo WTF are you talking about?
Wake up and smell the Coffee, This club as a Hooligan element if you don't like it go and support Northampton or Swindon (Two clubs without Firms). Though I cant claim to know the clubs Hooligan Element personally I can almost garentee they will be at Brighton with or without tickets and looking to cause trouble with Brighton. Real Firms wont go for scarfers they only go for fellow Firms so theres nothing for you to worry about.

Scarfers....a term used predominantly and usually exclusively by hooligans or by would be hooligans
And more:

I'am going to get called all the names under the sun for the following comments but here goes:

This club does have a growing hooligan element, and to suggest there all 16-18 is pure fantasy, yes this club has a youth element but older blokes are also involved.

And these lads are Palace, not Millwall rejects or whatever.

As for the comment, "not a shade of red and blue within them", are you suggesting that every Palace fan who goes to game not wearing Palace shirt is a hooligan

I which people would engage in the facts before posting mindless dribble..

You seem to take an odd sense of pride in this C_, and yet again mistakenly use dribble instead of drivel. Are you really that illiterate?

You seem keen to reitterate (that means repeatedly state, I thought you might need help, what with you being mentally challenged)

Like I have said before Palace DO have a growing hooligan following..

Which has led many other, not just me to state

Originally posted by Psychokiller
Ignore what c_cock_lad says. He thinks he's some sort of big time footy hooligan when in fact he's a pathetic 16 year old schoolboy sitting wanking at his own posts in front of his computer.

There's your evidence, do you wish me to say any more. Finally, don't even attempt to call me son - I'm your elder, your wiser and your more literate.

Warmest Regards

RDSdaEAGLE
25-09-2003, 06:39 PM
No reply...funny that! :rolleyes:

Kirby
25-09-2003, 07:18 PM
WRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT! :D :hi:

Nelson Muntz
25-09-2003, 07:25 PM
There's your evidence, do you wish me to say any more. Finally, don't even attempt to call me son - I'm your elder, your wiser and your more literate.
Warmest Regards
AndyStreet :lux:

as216
25-09-2003, 07:31 PM
Ha Ha, nice one Andy

Leap of faith
25-09-2003, 07:37 PM
Only one thing can improve the atmosphere at Selhurst.... Reintroduce standing.... but that's another thread !

Nelson Muntz
25-09-2003, 07:39 PM
Kirby, edit your post so it fits the page, it looks scruffy. You need to delete nine 'e's.

Kirby
25-09-2003, 07:47 PM
Don't you mean a's?

OK :D

Nelson Muntz
25-09-2003, 08:00 PM
I did mean 'a's sorry.

A neat BBS is a happy BBS :p :D

charltonhater
26-09-2003, 05:14 AM
Away fans can't possibly go anywhere other than the arthur wait because Selhurst is an incredibly poorlydesigned stadium.

AndyStreet
26-09-2003, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by charltonhater
Away fans can't possibly go anywhere other than the arthur wait because Selhurst is an incredibly poorlydesigned stadium.

Unfortunately that's entirely spot on. :(

trufan
26-09-2003, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by charltonhater
Away fans can't possibly go anywhere other than the arthur wait because Selhurst is an incredibly poorly designed stadium.

They did the other night! Please explain . . .

rootsradicaluk
26-09-2003, 08:44 AM
My experience at Paradise (Parkhead) is that having the away fans next to the main singers, or sandwiched between the main singers, rather than them having a whole end to themselves really ups the stakes...and now having discovered the AWMassive (I'll move from Block B next home game! Can't wait!)...its about as good as its gonna get until we redevelop the other 3 sides of the ground.

Block B, Holmesdale. My work may be finished here...I must carry the Word to other far - flung reaches of Fortress Selhurst.

:)

c_block_lad
26-09-2003, 09:23 AM
So I pointed out (correctly) that the club has a hooligan element and this makes me have a "obssession" with football hooliganism. When 90% of the people on these board could have told you that!

Sort it out, SON!

rootsradicaluk
26-09-2003, 09:25 AM
So I pointed out (correctly) that the club has a hooligan element and this makes me have a "obssession" with football hooliganism. When 90% of the people on these board could have told you that!

Sort it out, SON!

I've been watching Palace away since 1986 and went to my first game at Selhurst in 1989. I must walk around with my eyes closed? :confused:

AndyStreet
26-09-2003, 09:31 AM

Sort it out, SON!

You really are rather dim aren't you. It's the language you use in talking about hooligans, and the tone you appear to adopt that have led me and MANY others to that conclusion. Perhaps you should reread my post. Perhaps you are struggling with the longer words. If so, here's some additional (meaning extra) reading for you:

www.dictionary.com

Perhaps you could explain your use of the hooligan term "scarfer", or the fact that you appear to really believe that normal fans don't get attacked by them. But knowing your sort you'll just go back to talking rubbish. And what have I told you about respecting your elders, betters, and non pikeys more generally. If you wish to actually reply with solidly stated evidence as I did above, then by all means prove me wrong. If not, just be on your way, and go back to selling your lucky heather.

With Best Wishes :hi:

rootsradicaluk
26-09-2003, 09:33 AM

www.dictionary.com

With Best Wishes :hi:

ROTFLMAO!:D

c_block_lad
26-09-2003, 09:40 AM
If you cannot post anything other than personal insult's at myself when me and my family are under major stress I will not reply to the likes of you.

rootsradicaluk
26-09-2003, 09:41 AM
Now,now lads. Let's all play nicely.:)

AndyStreet
26-09-2003, 09:43 AM
How very aloof. I just wanted you to defend this statement in the light of your assertions on this thread:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Great Gonzo WTF are you talking about?
Wake up and smell the Coffee, This club as a Hooligan element if you don't like it go and support Northampton or Swindon (Two clubs without Firms). Though I cant claim to know the clubs Hooligan Element personally I can almost garentee they will be at Brighton with or without tickets and looking to cause trouble with Brighton. Real Firms wont go for scarfers they only go for fellow Firms so theres nothing for you to worry about.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

However it doesn't seem like any will be forthcoming.

RDSdaEAGLE
26-09-2003, 09:43 AM
If you cannot post anything other than personal insult's at myself when me and my family are under major stress I will not reply to the likes of you.

Well, lets be fair, AndyStreet wasn't to know that you and your family are under major stress...he's not psychic.

Besides, it's not personal insult...it's advice ;)

rootsradicaluk
26-09-2003, 09:48 AM
Except for the usual suspects Millpondlife and Tescos Hove Albion, I honestly haven't any serious trouble at Selhurst or outside the ground (although I had an interesting experience in the loos at the Cherry Trees with a couple of Pompey fans a couple of years back. Lol.)

Away is a different matter...Wolves, Coventry, Everton, Derby, Stoke.

I honestly don't believe we have an organised firm (won't use a capital 'f' on purpose!), and that's how I like it.

Unless, as I said above, I walk around with my eyes closed?

Daddy Long
26-09-2003, 09:55 AM
I think the chances are we do have an organised firm but they are probably a bit crap. Other clubs probably look at them and laugh. Sad wannabe's

rootsradicaluk
26-09-2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Daddy Long
I think the chances are we do have an organised firm but they are probably a bit crap. Other clubs probably look at them and laugh. Sad wannabe's

Lol. Let's hope for their sake they put in better 'performances' than the team did against Donnie. Mind you, MayDay is only a short hop away and we could get all of our 'firm' into one ambulance! LMAO!;)

Brett
26-09-2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by trufan
They did the other night! Please explain . . .

Can't believe you're this thick but here goes...

Away fans entered and left the WH via the Arthur Wait side. This was possible because the AW was shut to home fans. From an old bill view, it is easier to have the away fans spilling out onto the corner of Park Road and Holmesdale Road and onto the coaches which are instructed (in most cases) to leave Park Road by the Selhurst Road exit.

Having the away fans in the WH will invariable mean them spilling into Park Road with home supporters joining from both sides. Any trouble here is harder for the old bill to contain.

Skin Up
26-09-2003, 10:39 AM
Swindon and Northampton both have bigger firms than Palace anyway.

rootsradicaluk
26-09-2003, 10:43 AM
I bet the Northampton firm have sensible shoes.

Brett
26-09-2003, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Skin Up
Swindon and Northampton both have bigger firms than Palace anyway.

...with Nationwide appeal, apparently.

Gosling
26-09-2003, 10:48 AM
I got pushed over a wall on Whitehorse Lane by some Wolves fans after we beat them 3-1 in the 97 play off semi-finals...

rootsradicaluk
26-09-2003, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Gosling
I got pushed over a wall on Whitehorse Lane by some Wolves fans after we beat them 3-1 in the 97 play off semi-finals...

I was that wall! Hiding from the same Wolves fans!:)

Gosling
26-09-2003, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by rootsradicaluk
My experience at Paradise (Parkhead) is that having the away fans next to the main singers, or sandwiched between the main singers, rather than them having a whole end to themselves really ups the stakes...and now having discovered the AWMassive (I'll move from Block B next home game! Can't wait!)...its about as good as its gonna get until we redevelop the other 3 sides of the ground.

Block B, Holmesdale. My work may be finished here...I must carry the Word to other far - flung reaches of Fortress Selhurst.

:)

Good lad!

monkey
26-09-2003, 10:54 AM

The savage b******s...........they should be locked up!!!!:D

rootsradicaluk
26-09-2003, 10:55 AM
Good lad!

:D

Gosling
26-09-2003, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by monkey
The savage b******s...........they should be locked up!!!!:D

;)

jone-zee
26-09-2003, 01:03 PM
Oh for the days of "Whitehorse Whitehorse do your job!!" ;)

trufan
26-09-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Brett
Can't believe you're this thick but here goes...

Away fans entered and left the WH via the Arthur Wait side. This was possible because the AW was shut to home fans. From an old bill view, it is easier to have the away fans spilling out onto the corner of Park Road and Holmesdale Road and onto the coaches which are instructed (in most cases) to leave Park Road by the Selhurst Road exit.

Having the away fans in the WH will invariable mean them spilling into Park Road with home supporters joining from both sides. Any trouble here is harder for the old bill to contain.

Excuse my thickness, oh wise one. Can't all be top bananas! However, doesn't sound like it would take a great reorganisation to accommodate away fans in the Whitehorse for the majority of fixtures. In theory (and let's face it, this whole thread is only a theory) you could quite easily keep the WH gates locked for ten minutes after the final whistle if trouble was feared, then march supporters up to their coaches.

As things stand, most of Block B pour into the streets at the same time as the away mob now, so if there's going to be a flashpoint, that'll be it.
In fact, nine times out of ten (or maybe more) the two sets of fans mingle at the crossroads and scarcely a word is said.

Anyway, I'm willing to accept that any move back to the Whitehorse is unlikely to ever happen. It was just a thought. Next time I'll ask Brett's permission.

Kirby
26-09-2003, 01:49 PM
I blame the parents

rootsradicaluk
26-09-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Kirby
I blame the parents

...and our crumbling education system.:)

AndyStreet
26-09-2003, 01:52 PM
And of course Pete.

Brett
26-09-2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by trufan
Excuse my thickness, oh wise one. Can't all be top bananas! However, doesn't sound like it would take a great reorganisation to accommodate away fans in the Whitehorse for the majority of fixtures. In theory (and let's face it, this whole thread is only a theory) you could quite easily keep the WH gates locked for ten minutes after the final whistle if trouble was feared, then march supporters up to their coaches.

As things stand, most of Block B pour into the streets at the same time as the away mob now, so if there's going to be a flashpoint, that'll be it.
In fact, nine times out of ten (or maybe more) the two sets of fans mingle at the crossroads and scarcely a word is said.

Anyway, I'm willing to accept that any move back to the Whitehorse is unlikely to ever happen. It was just a thought. Next time I'll ask Brett's permission.

:p :)

Latvian
27-09-2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by RDSdaEAGLE
Well, lets be fair, AndyStreet wasn't to know that you and your family are under major stress...he's not psychic.

Nope but C-Block's Great-Gran worked as one didnt she Bren?

:moo:

rootsradicaluk
29-09-2003, 01:17 PM
Can she tell me the first scorer vs West Ham? I won 30 quid at w/end on first scorer.:)