PDA

View Full Version : Hughes is a disgrace

glaziers fan
28-09-2003, 12:43 PM
Why does he insist on saying how good we are and how we deserve to win etc etc? He keeps saying how well we are playing and how we should have won 6-0. NEWSFLASH FOR HUGHES: we are playing cr@p and you need to start showing more desire as the playmaker in the midfield? What have you actually done Hughesy? All you have contributed is a goal when we had already won the game, and a suspension for yourself. Well Done. It's about time you start showing us your undoubted class and make a difference to our side rather than just going through the motions. FFS I could stand on the edge of our penalty box and collect the ball and pass it 5 yards.:veryangry :veryangry Derry is showing you up. You need to start making a difference. A few forward runs. A few long range shots. A few DECENT crosses/free-kicks.

Sires
28-09-2003, 12:48 PM
It don't mean he's a disgrace, he's one of you best players, the rest of Palace are a disgrace, he's new to the team, he can't go saying, "we were shit, the team is crap, why am I even here" ca he?

mainstandeagle
28-09-2003, 12:48 PM
I'd agree with you about hughes. He is a decent player but I just feel that he slows the game down when we are attacking quite often. The opposing team regroups and gets possesion. His corners are OK, but could be harder and not so slow (if you understand what I mean). Watson should play against West Ham (see other thread) and hughes on the bench, maybe bring him on if things are going awry, but just start with BW Kember.

Brett
28-09-2003, 12:51 PM
He's no more than a decent player now.

He's finished due to his own thuggery. Like I said before when I was shot down in flames.

glaziers fan
28-09-2003, 12:54 PM
This thread is not about Hughesy's ability. It's his attitude I'm questioning. He's done nothing so far, and he should be fit by now. It's time for him to control the midfield for us. Create stuff for our strikers as the playmaker.

David
28-09-2003, 12:56 PM
The negativity on these boards is quite frankly PATHETIC!

We have 11 points and we are 5 points from the play-offs. That's not a disaster. We are having a bad spell at the moment, but we are by no means in crisis.

I am just pleased that most of the drivel written on these boards is just 'all talk', and that the negativity shown on here doesn't influence the crowd at games.

Brett
28-09-2003, 01:00 PM
I find supporters who feel that the team can't be criticised (no matter how poor they are) are equally pathetic.

I can recognise shit, lack of effort and dis-interest; even when it's dressed in a Palace shirt.

Perhaps I should continually lick the arses of the team even when they can't be bothered. Would I be a proper fan then?

Al From Bromley
28-09-2003, 01:06 PM
Are you SURE its lack of effort and disinterest? Why does it waver from one week to the next do you think? Are they like some fans, choosing the games they can be bothered to make the effort for? Or could it be that Palace played too deep and Norwich, urged on by a vociferous and positive crowd, got the better of them? I don't buy in to the disinterested theory. There has to be more to it than that.

glaziers fan
28-09-2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by David
The negativity on these boards is quite frankly PATHETIC!

We have 11 points and we are 5 points from the play-offs. That's not a disaster. We are having a bad spell at the moment, but we are by no means in crisis.

I am just pleased that most of the drivel written on these boards is just 'all talk', and that the negativity shown on here doesn't influence the crowd at games.

I don't boo the players at games. But I vent all my anger on these boards. I don't think things are terrible, but then I have faith in SK unlike so many. My problems stem from the fact that the players seem to think they are playing like Real Madrid, and yet they are moaning minnies (referee, bad luck etc) and simply not performing to their potential. They are performing to 20% of their capabilities and that's no exaggeration. The only players who can hold their heads up so far are Berthelin, Powell, Mullins, Butterfield, Watson, Derry, AJ and Freedman. They are playing ok, the rest are playing so badly they are dragging the whole team down. Fleming, Symons, Hughes and Shipperley have been a disgrace. Poor Borrowdale as well. You saw his limitations yesterday. The poor lad is not up to it. It's time to get Popovic fit, Watson in and a new striker and left sided player.

glaziers fan
28-09-2003, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Al From Bromley
Are you SURE its lack of effort and disinterest? Why does it waver from one week to the next do you think? Are they like some fans, choosing the games they can be bothered to make the effort for? Or could it be that Palace played too deep and Norwich, urged on by a vociferous and positive crowd, got the better of them? I don't buy in to the disinterested theory. There has to be more to it than that.

It's not a lack of effort. It's injury to Shipperley and playing him despite this instead of getting Morrison in on loan with the Akinbiyi money. It's playing Hughes even though he doesn't do what he's supposed to do, namely create and score goals. It's the injury to Popovic and the inability of Fleming/Symons to fill in effectively. It's the inability of Jordan to sanction the signing of a left-sided player even though we have needed one for 2 months now. It's the inability of the players to realise that collectively they are not playing well, scoring enough goals etc. It is not a lack of effort or ability. I actually believe it is shortcomings of both Jordan and Kember. I like the formation and I like the passing football. But the tempo is too slow, we are not being forceful and agressive enough. WE ARE TOO NEGATIVE. It's time to go for it, eg Burnley. Individually Powell, Mullins, Berthelin, Butterfield, Derry, AJ and Freedman have shown they are up to the task. It's now all about getting Shipperley fit, Popovic fit, and Hughes doing his job properly plus we need a new left-sided player DESPERATELY.

bananaman
28-09-2003, 01:30 PM
It's not a lack of effort. It's injury to Shipperley and playing him despite this instead of getting Morrison in on loan with the Akinbiyi money. It's playing Hughes even though he doesn't do what he's supposed to do, namely create and score goals. It's the injury to Popovic and the inability of Fleming/Symons to fill in effectively. It's the inability of Jordan to sanction the signing of a left-sided player even though we have needed one for 2 months now. It's the inability of the players to realise that collectively they are not playing well, scoring enough goals etc. It is not a lack of effort or ability. I actually believe it is shortcomings of both Jordan and Kember. I like the formation and I like the passing football. But the tempo is too slow, we are not being forceful and agressive enough. WE ARE TOO NEGATIVE. It's time to go for it, eg Burnley. Individually Powell, Mullins, Berthelin, Butterfield, Derry, AJ and Freedman have shown they are up to the task. It's now all about getting Shipperley fit, Popovic fit, and Hughes doing his job properly plus we need a new left-sided player DESPERATELY

well said hit the nail on the head well & truely!!! :lux: :p

John.K
28-09-2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by bananaman
It's not a lack of effort. It's injury to Shipperley and playing him despite this instead of getting Morrison in on loan with the Akinbiyi money.

Morrison wouldnt change the team anyway, 2 or 3 quality loan signings including him might!!:)

Sir.S.C Remembered
28-09-2003, 11:23 PM
He gets stuck in but we have someone for that job. I know he has had injury problems but I thought he was a trciky offensive player

Gooders
29-09-2003, 06:43 AM
The super soaraway currant bun has as it's "star man" today...Michael Hughes.

Says he was unlucky to be on the losing side.

Richard
29-09-2003, 07:59 AM
... getting Morrison in on loan with the Akinbiyi money.

Er, I think you'll find that Palace have paid (or are continuing to pay) a considerable amount of money just to be shot of Akinbiyi.

P.S. Did anyone else see the piece on Akinbiyi in the Sunday Times property section yesterday ?

Vince Hilaire
29-09-2003, 08:02 AM
Hughes has a touch of class about him (simple as that!!!).:p

Gladys Allover
29-09-2003, 08:04 AM
It's injury to Shipperley and playing him despite this
Why? We have enough strikers to rest Shipperley. Williams, Freedman, Johnson and Black should be able to cover the front two positions while he gets fit again. Surely Kember can't be the only one to see that he is absolutely useless at the moment?

Unfortunately Hughes and Shipperley have fallen a long way from the heady headlines of being our saviours at the beginning of the season!

Derry and Watson in the middle for me.

DougleMcNori
29-09-2003, 08:05 AM
Sorry but i wont have Hughes slagged off here, he has bought some great tackling, organisation and passing to the team - he has set up a few goals, got one, knocked the ref out (quality) and shown real desire and passion for Palace, he is also prepared to face the media when the chips are down!

Not bad for a player who was out for a year and went training with his neighbour!

pedro
29-09-2003, 08:10 AM
Hughes is playing on reputation not ability. If he was still good enough you would have had Birmingham and Wimbledon fighting over who owned him and not the other way round. I am sure that the 'Hughes is brilliant' crowd are the same lot that Gray managed to fool for months before they finally realised he was nowhere near as good as he and they actually thought as backed up by Curbishley, Reid and now Souness. I am not for one minute saying he is anywhere near as bad as Gray but those of you who think he is quality need to get their heads out of their ar$es and start smelling the roses. He is an average player underperforming in an average team that is underperforming. Never mind, roll on Wednesday night. :bash:

Shoreditch CPFC
29-09-2003, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by Brett
I find supporters who feel that the team can't be criticised (no matter how poor they are) are equally pathetic.

I can recognise shit, lack of effort and dis-interest; even when it's dressed in a Palace shirt.

Perhaps I should continually lick the arses of the team even when they can't be bothered. Would I be a proper fan then?

Brett, for a while now you've been making a lot of sense on these boards (unlike 6 months ago when you seemed to just abuse everyone) & I completely agree with this.

Gladys Allover
29-09-2003, 08:19 AM
He is a liability! He was sent off against Watford for a shocking tackle and again could well have been if he hadn't knocked out the ref against West Brom! Great tackling?

He has scored once but has not set up one league goal yet which for a supposedly creative midfielder is shocking.

sydney eagle
29-09-2003, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by Brett

Perhaps I should continually lick the arses of the team even when they can't be bothered. Would I be a proper fan then? exactly my feelings Brett!!...why must we as supporters be "hushed up" if we are upset with the way the players are playing?The players don't mind taking all the cheers and plaudits when they are doing well so they must accept that they get told the opposite when they play awful. All the people on the BBS have to put up with this in our jobs if we perform badly so why are they too good to be criticised when deserved?

Gooders
29-09-2003, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by pedro
Hughes is playing on reputation not ability. If he was still good enough you would have had Birmingham and Wimbledon fighting over who owned him and not the other way round.

I was one of those who was quite excited about him signing.

I would concede that up to now he has been a pale shadow of the player I thought we were getting based on how he used to look every time he played against us.

He's been out a long time, yes, but I think he's capable of a lot more than we've seen up to now.

I'd still pick him before Derry though!

glaziers fan
29-09-2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by pedro
Hughes is playing on reputation not ability. If he was still good enough you would have had Birmingham and Wimbledon fighting over who owned him and not the other way round. I am sure that the 'Hughes is brilliant' crowd are the same lot that Gray managed to fool for months before they finally realised he was nowhere near as good as he and they actually thought as backed up by Curbishley, Reid and now Souness. I am not for one minute saying he is anywhere near as bad as Gray but those of you who think he is quality need to get their heads out of their ar$es and start smelling the roses. He is an average player underperforming in an average team that is underperforming. Never mind, roll on Wednesday night. :bash:

That's the whole point though. Like Julian Gray he has a lot of talent but he is not using it, in this case not because of a lack of ambition but because he is playing too deep.

McNori

Which goals has he set up? (Apart from Freedman in the friendly!)

glaziers fan
29-09-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Gladys Allover
He is a liability! He was sent off against Watford for a shocking tackle and again could well have been if he hadn't knocked out the ref against West Brom! Great tackling?

He has scored once but has not set up one league goal yet which for a supposedly creative midfielder is shocking.

He didn't deserve to be sent off and I wouldn't go as far as saying he is a liability, but the fact he has yet to even play a decent defence splitting pass for a creative midfielder is SHOCKINGLY BAD

Les Butler
29-09-2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Al From Bromley

Steve Kember in dressing room after another lose...

Steve:
Well boys you done fantastic today but again our Palace fans let us down again today.

Team : Yes boss,if they coud only been a bit more positive like the Nowich fans we would have won.

Steve:
Yeah I know.
I did notice a few of our fans also have been picking which game to come to and leaving out others which does not help us at all.

Team:
Yeah boss that Gooders is one of them,I can never play well with him not being there !

Steve:

Let's hope next week our Palace fans will all turn up and maybe we will win if they are really really positive !

Team: yeah boss thanks.

GIVE ME A FECKING BREAK AL !:rolleyes::D

Icy
29-09-2003, 01:38 PM
Bollocks thread. Hughes is one of the few that gives his all every game.

glaziers fan
29-09-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Icy
Bollocks thread. Hughes is one of the few that gives his all every game.

Gives his all, but I would give my all, and would be happy to run around, and collect the ball off Mullins's toes and pass it square 5 yards to Popovic or Powell. If the other team didn't pressurise, I would happily have a kick about with Berthelin in the sun, with no players around me. I mean f*** trying to win the game, get forward and produce a defence splitting pass. Let's just sit on the penalty spot passing the ball 5 yards. Excellent creativity:rolleyes: :veryangry :rolleyes: :veryangry

Maz
29-09-2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Les Butler

Steve:

Let's hope next week our Palace fans will all turn up and maybe we will win if they are really really positive !

Team: yeah boss thanks.

GIVE ME A FECKING BREAK AL !:rolleyes::D rofl quality :p