PDA

View Full Version : CPFC relegation thread.

Ben H
01-10-2003, 11:20 PM
Apologies for the downhearted pessimism, but it's only 221 days until we get relegated.

Sorry but on this form it's going to happen.:(

The Omen
01-10-2003, 11:23 PM
:lux:

At least it's more exciting than 11th place with Francis!!!! :lux: :lux:

Wait....maybe it's not.... :rolleyes:

Ben H
01-10-2003, 11:25 PM
I mis-counted. Today is the 2nd of October - only 220 days to go.

sexyrazor
01-10-2003, 11:28 PM
Oh for gods sake, it's not that bad!!! Be optimistic!

Nelson Muntz
01-10-2003, 11:31 PM
It is that bad. I fear the worst.

Ben H
01-10-2003, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by sexyrazor
Oh for gods sake, it's not that bad!!! Be optimistic!

Were you there tonight?

sexyrazor
01-10-2003, 11:33 PM
To be fair no, but there is a long way to go before the season finishes!

Ben H
01-10-2003, 11:34 PM
Unless things change, we've got relegation written all over us. Sorry.

Latvian
01-10-2003, 11:35 PM
Naaaahhhhh....we'll be alright (just!)

Ben H
01-10-2003, 11:50 PM
Sorry, there was more fight in the Alan Smith side.

DocSavage
01-10-2003, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by sexyrazor
To be fair no, but there is a long way to go before the season finishes!

Trust me this was as bad as it gets it made me weep

CK
01-10-2003, 11:54 PM
Burnley seems a long long time ago dunnit:sob:

daz_eagle
01-10-2003, 11:59 PM
We won't go down because Rotherham, Watford, Wimbledon. Thank God they're sh*t.

A Wooden Fish On Wheels
02-10-2003, 12:03 AM
We came up against a Premiership side tonight, and had chances and made mistakes and came away 3 - 0. We will grind a few wins out of the next few fixtures - there are still lots of poopoo sides in this division and we will collect off some of them.

Men At Work
02-10-2003, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by Ben H
Apologies for the downhearted pessimism, but it's only 221 days until we get relegated.

You're assuming we survive to the last day of the season...

greybot
02-10-2003, 03:19 AM
BUNCH OF PESSIMISTIC TOSSPOTS :grrr:

Men At Work
02-10-2003, 03:44 AM
Originally posted by greybot
BUNCH OF PESSIMISTIC TOSSPOTS :grrr:

This (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0749307846/qid=1065066256/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_3_1/202-4586212-2645414) may help you :)

greybot
02-10-2003, 03:58 AM
Nah mate, After tonights result I am finally doing something about the club so I bought this (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0312209045/qid=1065067086/sr=2-2/ref=sr_2_3_2/202-7292742-8391852)

;)

NZsparky
02-10-2003, 04:52 AM
Get a grip folks, it's part of the Palace roller coaster ride.

The wheels on the bus go round and rou..... err whoops fall off as usual.

henryhallandhisbasque
02-10-2003, 04:55 AM
Somebody mentioned we came up against a "Premiership side" last night. West Ham are not a Premiership side. They got relegated from the Premiership and with a much stronger squad than they have now. Saying we got stuffed by a Premiership side is fine when you get beaten by a Man Ure or an Arse, but not West Ham.

I see our problems as being down to Walter Mitty Jordan. Practically the moment he walked through the door he did the wrong thing by getting rid of Coppell. The only right thing he's done since was in appointing Bruce. Like him or loathe him, Bruce was the best manager we've had post-Coppell. He was vilified when he left, but now you wonder that he may have had good reason in walking. Maybe he saw the way this club is being run and thought it best do a very quick runner, even by his standards.

I notice Jordan has virtually vanished as Talksport's rentaquote man. Do you remember all the marvellous things he was going to do for us and how proud he was to tell everybody it? Now, he makes Terry Brown look media-friendly. Why? Was it all talk, just talk?

When is the last time an up and coming young player signed for this club? Five years ago? Six? Why, in turn, would an up and coming manager wish to join us?

A large number of fans still appear to worship Jordan as the man who stopped us from playing parks football and that nobody else would have done. That may well be true. But that does NOT give him licence to oversee us being relegated towards it, rather than the banks doing it instead!

Something is very, very wrong at this club. The lack of form on the pitch is the least of our worries.

Ben H
03-10-2003, 08:55 PM
219 days to go.

Strathclyde Eagle
03-10-2003, 09:00 PM
I am optimistic. These threads nearly always fail - look at Charlton over the last few years. :)

(Don't mention B******n last year)

BaldEagle96
04-10-2003, 06:49 AM
WE WILL NOT GO DOWN!!! We are far too good... Now, where have I heard that one before! ;)

Eagle Kneevil
04-10-2003, 08:19 AM
Newcastle won't go down either and they haven't even won a game yet. We've won three.

Ben H
04-10-2003, 09:30 AM
218 days

Selhurst300
04-10-2003, 10:22 AM
Sorry, there was more fight in the Alan Smith side.

What, with the number of red cards that we've picked up? ;)

vivideagle
04-10-2003, 11:20 AM
F**king doom and gloom merchants,piss off and support spurs!

Ben H
26-10-2003, 04:12 PM
196 days... :sob:

26-10-2003, 07:03 PM
This was a good spot prediction back at the beginning of October. Now it is as predictable as the Speaking Clock. This is the same predicament that we found ourselves in under Smith, the big difference being that the drop only loomed very much nearer the end of the season, not 220-days away.

The second big difference was that then we could boot out Smith, rally the players' morale and draft in good ol' Stevie Kember, Palace through'n'through, nice bloke, mine's a double malt, blah-de-blah de-blah. So up steps Kember, the boys stage a rally, grind out 2 wins against Pompey (Premiership now) and Stockport (Div II now), in the latter we have a blind ref who missed the Hopkin handball, and even then it was really Birmingham City's (Premiership now) goalkeeper making a blinding last minute save against Huddersfield Town (Div II/III? now), which really saved our bacon. Hardly Steve Kember.

The third big difference is that we knew the players were really much better, both as a team and as individuals. They had after all recently, then, beaten Liverpool and Sunderland (both Premiership then) and Leicester (Prem then too). But Morrison had gone on a goal drought, Smith had gone barmy, and team spirit went, but not so as Steve Bruce couldn't quickly rekindle it.

Now if we sack a failing manager, Kember, who comes in...Bullivant? Come on, the tea lady would make a better fist of it than that idiot.

As for the squad - well, given they all professed such undying love and devotion to Steve Kember, you'd think they might be vaguely interested in at least making the appearance of being fit, not fat (Fatterley) as a captain. I swear to you yesterday I kept thinking 'Crickey, that's Neil Ruddock out there with the armband, isn't it'. The other overpaid donkeys are just having a laugh. They don't care if we drop to Div II - that's what they're fit for anyway.

The few with a bit of talent will either be off or sold off, and Jordan will pull his plug on CPFC 2000 Ltd or whatever it's called, 6 years of a lease to run on Selhurst Park - which is literally falling to bits in front of our eyes.

We are dying the death of a thousand cuts. We are doomed. Doomed I tell you.

James
26-10-2003, 07:54 PM
Good post Beestey.

WESTERHAMEAGLE
26-10-2003, 08:27 PM
I'm afraid we've got relegation written all over us, overpaid, over-the-hill players going through the motions, a manager who says he's not under pressure and a chairman who thinks he knows it all about football. What was that pathetic stunt he pulled yesterday by not letting the players on the bus so he could give the manager a bollocking. I've seen it all before and, as in previous relegation years (and I've seen a few of them) the writing was on the wall very early on. This year is no different but if we are to go down lets do it by playing the youngsters who have a bit of fire in their belly. To leave Borrowdale, Watson and Williams out of the team whilst continuing with the same old faces is nothing short of a crime. If we are to avoid relegation things have to happen now and not in February when it will be too late. Bring in Dowie, clear out the whole coaching(?) staff and start again and this time SJ keep out of the dressing room and let the manager manage. If you hadn't been so bloddy pig headed about Steve Vickers Brucie would have signed him, stayed at Selhurst and we would now be where Brum are.

Shipp Ahoy!
26-10-2003, 08:38 PM
The only thing I can think of thats anywhere near as depressing is that Brighton have a good chance of getting promotion, they could go into division 1 and we will be in division 2! :( :sob: :(

paulhgc2002
26-10-2003, 09:03 PM
i think u can say wigan will be very good value for a home win this saturday :bash: :bash: :bash:

Shipp Ahoy!
26-10-2003, 09:18 PM
At least I can watch it without paying an I can get rid at the press of a button!

God Bless Sky!

Isle of Wight
26-10-2003, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by WESTERHAMEAGLE
If you hadn't been so bloddy pig headed about Steve Vickers Brucie would have signed him, stayed at Selhurst and we would now be where Brum are.

Do you recon he regrets it now? One small point has such a knock on effect.:bash:

Malakite
26-10-2003, 09:45 PM
I try SO HARD not to be pessamistic, but even I think we are now deep into another relegation battle, and it hurts :(

Brett
26-10-2003, 09:48 PM
Perhaps Palace, as a club encompassing the team, board and the fans, need a relegation.

A perverse thought but an interesting one.

Ben H
26-10-2003, 09:51 PM
Didn't we say that when we left the Premiership?

The danger is that we will go down but if things don't change at the club we won't be coming back up again and then we could be saying the same about a relegation battle at the bottom of the second division...

Brett
26-10-2003, 09:55 PM
Perhaps it's the wake-up call Jordan needs?

Perhaps we can see an end to this do-a-Wolves culture whereby we have become the 'knackers yard' club for past-it overpaid journeyman.

It's certainly a moot point, but relegation isn't necessarily the end of the world, just the end of Division One football for a season at least.

Maidstoned Eagle
27-10-2003, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Brett

It's certainly a moot point, but relegation isn't necessarily the end of the world, just the end of Division One football for a season at least.

I'm sure thats what Huddersfield and QPR supporters thought Brett. Though I do think that if we'd gone down the other season, Palace might be in a better state than it is now.

Ben H
27-10-2003, 09:02 AM
Why? What makes you think it would have changed Jordan? We could now be in the same position except at the bottom of the second division.

BrianF
27-10-2003, 09:11 AM
I put this on anothervthread, but what the hell......

when Kember advocated that we were going to play 'pass and move' football, he was simply lying.

I cannot believe that they play pass and move in training and then resort to this drivel on a match day. This percentage football is usually cr@p and is even worse when you are no good at it.

The game was summed up, for me, in the last minute, when we get a free kick, it's going to be our last attack, and Derry (who was dire throughout) couldn't beat the first man! Only AJ, and maybe Myhre deserved a ride home on the coach anyway. The rest should have been made to walk.

At half time, did anyone else see Myhre walking off shaking his head. He must have been wondering whether it really was a 1st division team he come to.

It is time for SK and TB to wave goodbye and for SJ to start doing things properly.

SJ, perhaps start with a director of football so you can try and keep your foot out of your ample mouth. You cannot take on Football and footballers, just because you don't like agents. You are the one trying to run it as a proper business. If it was your phone company, I would be taking the product back and demanding my money back as the goods are faulty (Any chance of a refund on the 3 season tickets?). Yes, I know I will not stop me going, but spending circa 1,500 to 2,500 to watch this sh!te is getting me down.

Make no mistake, if it carries on like this we WILL go down.

stevieboy
27-10-2003, 09:18 AM
well done ben h for being a realist.
I cant belive some people on the bbs think we will survive under the current set up.
On saturday we were outplayed by a poor gillingham side that any decent team would kill off easy.
they outpassed us,outfought us most worrying of all there technique was far better than ours off and on the ball.

ive said it before and will say it again if we dont change things now we will be in big trouble in a couple of months!!!

Ben H
27-10-2003, 09:23 AM
195 DAYS

Maidstoned Eagle
27-10-2003, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by stevieboy
well done ben h for being a realist.
I cant belive some people on the bbs think we will survive under the current set up.
On saturday we were outplayed by a poor gillingham side that any decent team would kill off easy.
they outpassed us,outfought us most worrying of all there technique was far better than ours off and on the ball.

ive said it before and will say it again if we dont change things now we will be in big trouble in a couple of months!!!

Got to ask you, have you read any of these threads? Because you'll see that the majority of posts are calling for a change in management.

And Ben, if we'd gone down, we wouldn't have signed a lot of the players we have, the youngsters would now be the back bone of our side, and we would be a far more attractive option than we are now.

Ben H
27-10-2003, 09:28 AM
MMmm, I'm not convinced. My guess is that Jordan would still have gone for the quick fix solution i.e. signed a handful of journeymen pros 'guaranteed' to get us promotion straight away...

stevieboy
27-10-2003, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Maidstoned Eagle
Got to ask you, have you read any of these threads? Because you'll see that the majority of posts are calling for a change in management.

And Ben, if we'd gone down, we wouldn't have signed a lot of the players we have, the youngsters would now be the back bone of our side, and we would be a far more attractive option than we are now.

yeah maidstone i have read all the post's and belive it our not there is still people who think that moving kember out is not the answer i could find you some examples in certain posts but like the team at the moment i cant be bothered!!

Maidstoned Eagle
27-10-2003, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by stevieboy
yeah maidstone i have read all the post's and belive it our not there is still people who think that moving kember out is not the answer i could find you some examples in certain posts but like the team at the moment i cant be bothered!!

Don't have to Stevie, I know who these deluded people are already, but you have to admit that they are in the minority.

stevieboy
27-10-2003, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Maidstoned Eagle
Don't have to Stevie, I know who these deluded people are already, but you have to admit that they are in the minority.

yeah mate there in there minority but i cant belive anyone who has been to the last 12 games can some how belive will get out of this with
kember and co in charge!!

i vote for dowie and his own staff in and kember and bully out!!!

it pains me to say it but even magee would be better i would settle for 8th in the league at the mo and i could even handle the cheer up mark song!!

adrenalin john
27-10-2003, 10:53 AM
I haven't seen any div 2 footie for ages, quite looking forward to it. Who knows we may even win a few games down there.

el mico
27-10-2003, 11:18 AM
Laughable thread but if it makes you feel better keep counting the days down. Does anyone really want relegation, if so, I suggest you start visiting Milton Keynes. The Gillingham game was bad but I also saw the Cardiff game in which we played quite well. There was a massive contrast between the two performances but I think it suggests that we have the potential to do ok in this division. There isn't a great deal of quality in our league, we will probably end up in midtable just like we did last year. I'm quite willing to change my mind if we're in the bottom 3 at the end of January but somehow I think that won't be the case.

Pistike
27-10-2003, 11:35 AM
I have no problem with the idea of playing division 2 football, the only problem is that we would still have a Chairman who believes that humiliating his manager in front of the players is a good way of getting the best out of people.

I imagine that screaming "If you don't shift another 500 Nokia's by next Friday I'm gonna xxxxxx you!" might work in retail but its not a winner in football.

Celestial Empire
27-10-2003, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by el mico
Laughable thread but if it makes you feel better keep counting the days down. Does anyone really want relegation, if so, I suggest you start visiting Milton Keynes. The Gillingham game was bad but I also saw the Cardiff game in which we played quite well. There was a massive contrast between the two performances but I think it suggests that we have the potential to do ok in this division. There isn't a great deal of quality in our league, we will probably end up in midtable just like we did last year. I'm quite willing to change my mind if we're in the bottom 3 at the end of January but somehow I think that won't be the case.

SK had a big "clear the air" meeting with the players before Cardiff.
(as with AS), this might work occasionally, but is always short-term and is no substitute for a few real management skills.

el mico
27-10-2003, 01:48 PM
I'm no fan of Kember's, I just don't think we're going down. I'm afraid I'm one of those 'deluded' ones who still thinks we have a half decent team. I also don't see the point in relegation predictions when we're only a quarter of the way through the season.

27-10-2003, 02:21 PM
Anyone who thinks, even 'perversely', that going down would be good for the club and good for us fans, is mad. It would be almost certainly the catalyst for a huge financial crisis, as I am pretty sure Jordan would bale out. The prices would be unlikley to come down so there'd be a huge drop in supporters attending games and no away fans to talk of.

It would be a squad crisis too, as the players with promise and/or talent and/or good agents would bale out to stay up with Div I teams.

The assumption we'd get to see Palace winning a few games because (presumably) all Div II teams will be a soft touch for the mighty Palace could not be farther from the truth.

It reminds me of the first game in the old Div III after we slipped down from the old I (now Premier) to II to III in two consecutive seasons. First game, home, Notts County. Atmosphere on the Holmesdale terraces that sunny Saturday - maybe 7 or 8 thousand Palace fans licking their lips with anticipation of a goalfest annihilation of poor, pathetic Div II donkeys, Notts County. Result at fulltime - Crystal Palace FC 0 Notts County 4. Yeah, what an afternoon that was. Yeah, it'll be just great winning in Div II. Fat feckin' chance, sunshine. In reality, if we find ourselves in Div II next season, we'll be on the serious slide to oblivion.

Ben H
27-10-2003, 04:18 PM
Couldn't agree more.:sob:

Walrus
27-10-2003, 05:05 PM
Well it's fair to say that on the evidence of the whole of the season so far (4 wins total, 1 win in last 12 of 15 games) that we are showing prime relegation form.

Unless things change (selection policy, coaching methods, coaching staff and with all of that, team morale) then I'm with BenH.

And I don't think a relegation would be any good for the club either as all our decent prospects would be snapped up for peanuts and we'd be left with the donkeys no-one else wants on Div 1 wages.

James
27-10-2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by beestey
It reminds me of the first game in the old Div III after we slipped down from the old I (now Premier) to II to III in two consecutive seasons. First game, home, Notts County. Atmosphere on the Holmesdale terraces that sunny Saturday - maybe 7 or 8 thousand Palace fans licking their lips with anticipation of a goalfest annihilation of poor, pathetic Div II donkeys, Notts County. Result at fulltime - Crystal Palace FC 0 Notts County 4. Yeah, what an afternoon that was. Yeah, it'll be just great winning in Div II. Fat feckin' chance, sunshine. In reality, if we find ourselves in Div II next season, we'll be on the serious slide to oblivion.

I remember the game.

It was in fact the first game in Division 2 (not 3) in the Season that saw us relegated.

Notts County had themselves just come up from Division 3 and we all turned up that day expecting a walkover. Our manager (Malcolm Allison) had had the pitch widened in pre-season, to give our nifty wingers a bit more space.

I don't think I have ever been so stunned coming back from a game.

fieldy
27-10-2003, 05:28 PM
What I find so frustrating, and I'm no Wenger or Erickson, is that the answers are staring Kember in face, if he would only try out

4-4-2
Players in the correct positions
Players in form

If this didn't work then I and a lot of others would be a bit more forgiving, I just cannot understand why he won't, is it ego? stubborness? intelligence? common sense? a card school???

I'm sorry SK but whatever is preventing you from trying something different it is costing you the respect and support of the fans and will ultimately cost you the job you so long coveted :confused:

Ben H
28-10-2003, 10:00 AM

BrianF
28-10-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by el mico
I'm no fan of Kember's, I just don't think we're going down. I'm afraid I'm one of those 'deluded' ones who still thinks we have a half decent team.

I think I agree with the part that says "..we have a half decent team".

On paper anyway. What we are missing is a coach/manager who can take these players and mould them into a unit that will actually play football as a team.:bash: :bash:

sydnsteve
28-10-2003, 02:06 PM
Agree with BrianF. The cheap option of TB and SK has failed, they are totally incapable. I have been away since Rotherham, so managed to miss a lot of crap, but the bench on that day was the last straw for me. We had Aki as our attacking option against the team that had not managed an away win since the year dot, and were only allowed a draw by Byfield's unbelievable miss. SJ needs to get rid of both his 'managers' now, get in someone with a bit of nous (MaCMahon or Dowie), and leave him to get on with it for a year.
I think we have one last chance before we are so much of a joke no-one even applies for the job.
I am reluctantly wishing for the nasty grey haired one's return.

GUCCI Eagle
28-10-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Pistike
I have no problem with the idea of playing division 2 football, the only problem is that we would still have a Chairman who believes that humiliating his manager in front of the players is a good way of getting the best out of people.

I imagine that screaming "If you don't shift another 500 Nokia's by next Friday I'm gonna xxxxxx you!" might work in retail but its not a winner in football.

Have to agree. Jordan can't manage and is a poor decision maker.

BringBackSasa
28-10-2003, 03:05 PM
We aren't going down this season. Mid-table. Admittedly, the future does appear bleak though.

celery stick
28-10-2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by beestey

It reminds me of the first game in the old Div III after we slipped down from the old I (now Premier) to II to III in two consecutive seasons. First game, home, Notts County. Atmosphere on the Holmesdale terraces that sunny Saturday - maybe 7 or 8 thousand Palace fans licking their lips with anticipation of a goalfest annihilation of poor, pathetic Div II donkeys, Notts County. Result at fulltime - Crystal Palace FC 0 Notts County 4.

I remember that too, but it was a bloody good Notts County team though, on its way to the old Division One. Vinter was one of their forwards.
They went up and the next season went to Millwall and beat them 5-2, Vitner got a hat-trick!

celery stick

James
28-10-2003, 05:41 PM
Yes ... but this was a Division II game (not Division III as Beestey suggested).

I am also fairly sure that the result was 1-4 (and we scored the first goal). Is anyone able to confirm this?

Al From Bromley
28-10-2003, 05:46 PM
I remmember it as 1-4 and coincidentally quoted the same game the other day on another thread

Al From Bromley
28-10-2003, 05:47 PM
Yup, 74-75 was 1-4 Rogers scored.

andy m
28-10-2003, 05:50 PM
On the last occasion we were relagated it had been widely predicted for some time and I consoled myself with the thought that we'd bounce straight back since Jansen and Shipperley would piss all over the 1st division. On this occasion, if it happens, I might console myself with a similar thought. Except it didn't happen last time and it won't happen this time. Don't anybody out there make the mistake of thinking relegation might enable us to rebuild and come back stronger. It never has and it never will.

Al From Bromley
28-10-2003, 05:52 PM
Sorry, it was 73-74 and started the season L L L D L L D L L L D L L D L, eventually winning at Bristol City on November 10th.

James
28-10-2003, 06:00 PM
Blimey! Was it that bad? It makes the run under Kember look quite good, doesn't it?

Al From Bromley
28-10-2003, 06:10 PM
It was bloody awful james. In fact it may well have been our worst run ever, and it wasnt as if we didnt have a few decent players. Rogers, Possee, Cooke, Swindlehurst, cannon, Whittle, Taylor, Barry, Jump, to name but a few. We went down to Div 3 on last day of season after a draw at Cardiff. I remember it well as I was playing five a side in Crawley and we had the radio on by the side of the pitch waiting for updates. A real downer when news finally came thru.

Al From Bromley
28-10-2003, 06:10 PM
Blimey, it was 30 years ago! Scary!

James
28-10-2003, 06:38 PM
It's as well the BBS wasn't around 30 years ago.

It's an interesting comparison to this Season in some ways. That was - on paper - a fantastic Team. We were all genuinely convinced that we would stroll back into the top flight with something to spare.

However, the Team didn't gell (not until it was far too late in any event) and our Team of stars - with 'one of the best squads in the division' went down.

So far as I can remember, we didn't blame our manager, Malcolm Allison. He stayed on and steered us into the FA Cup semi-Final the following year.

Al From Bromley
28-10-2003, 06:52 PM
It was actually two seasons later James. hard to belive I know, but true. We finished 5th in Div 3 in 74-75 and 5th again the following season when we had that amazing cup run. Promotion would follow in 76-77 when we were 3rd in the old Div 3.

Al From Bromley
28-10-2003, 06:56 PM
...and both of those seasons we were loking good for promotion but had poor finishes both years, only winning two out of our last 8 in 74/75 and two out of our last ten in 75/76.

Al From Bromley
28-10-2003, 07:02 PM
...and the youngsters of today think THEYVE got it hard :)

Les Butler
28-10-2003, 07:07 PM
You two have just got me me thinking that I'm bloody old on top of it all .

Thanks guys really cheered up now !

Al From Bromley
28-10-2003, 07:09 PM
Where did the time go eh Les? I can still remember standing on the Hoilmesdale in disbelief as Notts County did us 4-1 and also the BBC having a feature on about Palace FINALLY winning at Ashton Gate. I may be wrong but I think it was on Match of the Day.

Les Butler
28-10-2003, 07:11 PM
Still don't think we will go down to be honest.

Al From Bromley
28-10-2003, 07:15 PM
Me neither, but, between you and I, I was very disappointed with them at Gillingham on Saturday. It was very embarrassing being a Palace fan sitting in the Gillingham stand. Don't tell anyone else I thought we were shit though OK? :)

Les Butler
28-10-2003, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Al From Bromley
Don't tell anyone else I thought we were shit though OK? :)

I will not tell anyone Al

Phil O'Sophical
28-10-2003, 07:47 PM
Aaaggghhhh!! The Notts County game (Aug 25 1973, 1-4, Att 20,841)

We were so arrogant, having just come out of Div 1 under Big Mal, even the programme carried the nicknames of the 11 guys who were going to win every game in the division on the way back up from this pathetic division. No wonder every team played above themselves to teach us a lesson. How embarrassing was that.

Phil O'Sophical
28-10-2003, 07:51 PM
We just didn't believe we weren't going to go straight back up and the Notts County result was all an unjust mistake, as can be seen from the caption to this photo in the next home game programme.

DocSavage
29-10-2003, 09:09 AM
I need this picture enlarged the pillar in the background was our regular location and I was there that day so would love to recall bad hair and awful clothing!!!

Oh and the game? Don't really remember!!!

celery stick
29-10-2003, 09:38 AM
...and both of those seasons we were loking good for promotion but had poor finishes both years, only winning two out of our last 8 in 74/75 and two out of our last ten in 75/76.

yeah - remember the TWO penalty misses in front of the Holmesdale by Peter Taylor, one v Cardiff and the other v Millwall? 0-0 and 0-1, I think.

Hereford, Cardiff and Millwall went up?
But remember the two wins against promotion rivals Wrexham at the end of the next season, 2-1 at Selhurst, and a brilliant 4-2 at their place, and remember going to Selhurst to watch the reserves on the last Saturday? Palace didnt have a game - but Mansfield and Wrexham drew 0-0 to send us up.
15,000 Palace fans invade the Selhurst pitch....at a reserve game!!!

celery stick

Ben H
31-10-2003, 07:04 PM
Let's hope I'm wrong, but....

191 days to go..:(

TC Seagull
31-10-2003, 07:10 PM
Don't go down Palace, I want our derby next year...

... this time it's personal!

Pistike
31-10-2003, 07:17 PM
This is all very well Ben but why have you assumed that we will only relegated on the last day of the season?

(..and whilst I'm here TC take your spunk stained keyboard and smeg encrusted mouse and point them at someone elses website - faggot!)

Super Mabbutt
31-10-2003, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by TC Seagull
Don't go down Palace, I want our derby next year...

... this time it's personal!

Sorry, you seem to be lost, are you looking for OUR Coppell ??

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

Ben H
31-10-2003, 07:27 PM
This is all very well Ben but why have you assumed that we will only relegated on the last day of the season?

(..and whilst I'm here TC take your spunk stained keyboard and smeg encrusted mouse and point them at someone elses website - faggot!)

I'm being optimistic!:clown: :hmph: :moo:

Pistike
31-10-2003, 07:29 PM
Ah yes, silly me.

alexthefatdawg
31-10-2003, 10:05 PM
Where did the time go eh Les? I can still remember standing on the Hoilmesdale in disbelief as Notts County did us 4-1 and also the BBC having a feature on about Palace FINALLY winning at Ashton Gate. I may be wrong but I think it was on Match of the Day.

My sister got married the day we lost to Notts co and I sulked all day cos I wasn't allowed to go to the match

alexthefatdawg
31-10-2003, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by celery stick
yeah - remember the TWO penalty misses in front of the Holmesdale by Peter Taylor, one v Cardiff and the other v Millwall? 0-0 and 0-1, I think.

Hereford, Cardiff and Millwall went up?
But remember the two wins against promotion rivals Wrexham at the end of the next season, 2-1 at Selhurst, and a brilliant 4-2 at their place, and remember going to Selhurst to watch the reserves on the last Saturday? Palace didnt have a game - but Mansfield and Wrexham drew 0-0 to send us up.
15,000 Palace fans invade the Selhurst pitch....at a reserve game!!!

celery stick

Wasn't one of the penalties missed against halifax rather than Cardiff?

TC Seagull
31-10-2003, 10:19 PM

Temper temper!:hi:

Ben H
31-10-2003, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by TC Seagull
Temper temper!:hi:

I suggest you stick to the Away forum unless you can make some sensible points.

TC Seagull
31-10-2003, 10:47 PM
I suggest you stick to the Away forum unless you can make some sensible points.

Suggestion noted!

Ben H
01-11-2003, 01:00 PM
190 days. :sob:

trufan
01-11-2003, 01:44 PM
We're gone.

Shipp Ahoy!
01-11-2003, 02:00 PM
190 DAYS TILL WE HAVE DIVISION 2! BRIGHTON HERE WE COME! :grrr:

Ben H
01-11-2003, 02:55 PM
We REALLY are going down. The writing was on the wall after the West Ham thrashing. It's just inevitable now.

Shipp Ahoy!
01-11-2003, 02:57 PM
With Mullins gone it inevitable.

Maidstoned Eagle
01-11-2003, 05:00 PM
With Gillingham winning at Ipswich we're now down to 20th.

biggus mickus
01-11-2003, 05:10 PM
Pathetic, kin pathetic.
Hands up all those Palace players who turned up today?

All goes quiet, the tumbleweed floats through the training ground. A drunk stands looking on, and wonders what he is doing to the club he loves. The players laugh and joke, their wages are still there at the end of the week.

Ben H
01-11-2003, 09:37 PM
I've never been so depressed about our chances. Seems to get worse and worse...

PengeEagle
02-11-2003, 09:39 PM
I dont think we will go down, we have the players ( Dougie, Wayne, Watson) to get us out of it, we need to get rid of Kember who is doing no-one any favours by staying on and bring in someone who will give the players a kick up the @rse! George Graham or Iain Dowie would be my choice.

We were in a far worse position under Smith in 2000-2001 (2nd Bottom at the end of October after losing 1-0 at home to Grimsby) and managed to go on a 12 match unbeaten run...sure we still had to win the last 2 to stay up after a dreadful run from Feb to May but it proves there is still hope!

Ben H
03-11-2003, 08:00 AM

Ben H
12-04-2004, 07:45 PM
I started this after we got beat 3-0 by West Ham back on 1st October.

How things have changed since then and what a difference a new manager makes.:):)

paulhgc2002
12-04-2004, 08:03 PM
im gonna eat my goldfish tonite

Latvian
12-04-2004, 08:08 PM

Ben H
12-04-2004, 08:11 PM

celery stick
12-04-2004, 08:31 PM

PengeEagle
12-04-2004, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by PengeEagle
I dont think we will go down, we have the players ( Dougie, Wayne, Watson) to get us out of it, we need to get rid of Kember who is doing no-one any favours by staying on and bring in someone who will give the players a kick up the @rse! George Graham or Iain Dowie would be my choice.

We were in a far worse position under Smith in 2000-2001 (2nd Bottom at the end of October after losing 1-0 at home to Grimsby) and managed to go on a 12 match unbeaten run...sure we still had to win the last 2 to stay up after a dreadful run from Feb to May but it proves there is still hope!

greybot
12-04-2004, 11:23 PM
I've eaten all my goldfish Any one got any spare?

Shipp Ahoy!
12-04-2004, 11:38 PM
How many days until we are promoted? :D