PDA

View Full Version : West Ham ground - help

Diggers digs in?
02-10-2003, 01:35 PM
I'm guessing this has been asked before, but half the time when I hear it it's Upton Park, and the other half it's the Boleyn ground. Why is this? What is the correct name? And if it is the Boleyn ground, is it after Anne Boleyn, and if it is after Anne Boleyn, why the cack would you name a football ground after a pretty insignificant historic figure who has nothing to do with the club? Someome help I keep using question marks?

GUCCI Eagle
02-10-2003, 01:37 PM
mAYBE THEY LOPPED HER HEAD OFF ON THE CENTRE SPOT

Ships is back
02-10-2003, 01:39 PM
Boleyn Ground is the right name for it my nan has been a West Ham fan donkeys years and allways pulls me up on it if i call it upton park which is the area it is in. At half time i was disappoited they wouldn't serve beer bit of a let down for a nice stadium.

NO1FAN
02-10-2003, 01:40 PM
Why don't you use the answer a question with a question thread In chit chat gold?

:D

Mal Come Ally Son
02-10-2003, 01:41 PM
Two points

First - I never heard the term Boleyn Ground until the late 70s. I wouldn't be surprised if it was first put into the football community by some poncy BBC commentator.

Second - the term is pronounced 'Bowlin' - as in wot you do in cricket, whereas the historical figure I guess you refer to is pronounced Ann Bol-in.

Thirs - it's all a load of bollxs. As far as I'm aware Bobby Moore played at Upton Park

EagleSE24
02-10-2003, 01:42 PM
They served beer in the home end albeit incredibly slowly. There were still people shuffling into their seats 10 minutes into the second half.

La Bombonera
02-10-2003, 01:43 PM
Definitely the Boleyn Ground, Upton Park is the nearest tube (landmark?) and the Hammers nickname heralds from from their 'Ironworks' origins.

I'm led to believe that it's one of the common errors of visiting fans ... disembarking the tube at West Ham. Nowhere near the ground.

monkey
02-10-2003, 01:43 PM
Anne Boleyn???

think diggers Is pulling everyone's pi55er!!:D

Tiz In Boleyn Road don't you know!!!:p

ReadingPalace
02-10-2003, 01:53 PM
Presumably the visiting fans getting off at West Ham tube are the same geographically-challenged lot that get the train from London Bridge or Victoria to Crystal Palace, in an attempt to see thier team nick an 89th-minute winner against us.

Diggers digs in?
03-10-2003, 10:09 AM
Ok ok so I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. John Mcririck has been doing it for years and no-one's pulled him yet.