PDA

View Full Version : Haunted Selhurst Park ?

outlando
08-10-2003, 07:52 AM
Hi folks,

A fan has suggested to me that Selhurst Park may be haunted. Apparently there is an unpleasant presence in the staff room from time to time, and chairs have moved by themselves.

Can anyone shed any more light on these stories?

Cheers

Lombardarian
08-10-2003, 07:58 AM
I heard there are a couple of spirits in Steve Kembers office.

EagleSE24
08-10-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Lombardarian
I heard there are a couple of spirits in Steve Kembers office.

:D

ReadingPalace
08-10-2003, 02:10 PM
I do remember back in the mid-70s some self proclaimed medium/psychic or whatever was turned down for a job or something and consequently claimed to have put a curse on the club.

Anyone else remember this? It would certainly explain a lot...

Simon A
08-10-2003, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by ReadingPalace
I do remember back in the mid-70s some self proclaimed medium/psychic or whatever was turned down for a job or something and consequently claimed to have put a curse on the club.

Looking at Palace since the Seventies I can't believe we HAVEN'T had a curse put on us. :moo:

Oliver V
08-10-2003, 02:19 PM
The curse of mid-table forever is upon us!

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Maidstoned Eagle
08-10-2003, 02:31 PM
I can remember my Uncle Alf telling me that Billy Callender's ghost used to haunt the Old Stand. Billy's tragic story was covered in last months "Palace Echo", but to just give you an idea, his fiance died from a crippling disease. Billy was devastated and inconsolable. A week into pre-season training for the '32-33 season, he was found dead, hanging in the Old Stand. It was a sad end to a very promising career, my Uncle Alf used to say that Billy was one of the best goalkeepers we'd ever had.

calne eagle
08-10-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by ReadingPalace

'Romark' was his name. (As his real name was something boring like Roland Markham or similar).

arussell
08-10-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Maidstoned Eagle
I can remember my Uncle Alf telling me that Billy Callender's ghost used to haunt the Old Stand. Billy's tragic story was covered in last months "Palace Echo

Wonder who wrote that ;)

I have heard tales of Billy's ghost haunting the main stand (he hung himself at Selhurst Park and there are stories of sightings of it by staff) so I would imagine that's what you're refering too.

Billy (from the research I've done) certainly sounded like a good solid 'keeper, who was very popular with the fans and his fellow pros.

The only other tale I know of that it might relate too, is the story of the two boys who drowned (around 1909) in the pond that used to be on the ground where the pitch now is. This was in the days that there was a brickworks on site, and they climed over the fencing (surrounding what is now Selhurst Park), to get in and have a muck about.

Brett
08-10-2003, 09:37 PM
Thing is, people hear about a death in a place and 'make' themselves feel a presence there... I don't like the general public's morbid curiosity in such matters especially when you consider why our goalkeeper of many years ago commited suicide.

I would however, be interested to hear people's accounts of what makes them feel a presence; did they feel that something was amiss before or after hearing the suicide legend?

Let's not forget though that a former player took his own life in very tragic circumstances and that there may well be people still alive today who were/have been affected by what happened.

Let's continue to treat this story with respect please.

Neil the Eagle
08-10-2003, 11:20 PM
T'aint him Brett, far too much info in the profile for that. I like his site too.

For comic relief in 1989, a group of eight schoolgirls stayed the night in the home dressing room, they reported a load of strange noises in the night and were quite shook up the next morning.

arussell
08-10-2003, 11:46 PM
Just to answer one point Brett - I do personally have a lot of respect for Billy Callender (especially having researched he and many other players of the past recently) and did in fact leave out one or two points when I wrote the article, purely for that reason.

The "sightings" I have been told of - have been exactly that - sightings of someone or something.

As for staying in the night in the dressing room - I wouldn't want to do that, I get scared enough on Saturday's when watching the match from the stands ;)

outlando
09-10-2003, 07:58 AM
Thanks for all the info guys! Anyone have any more?

Thanet Eagle
09-10-2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Neil the Eagle
T'aint him Brett, far too much info in the profile for that. I like his site too.

For comic relief in 1989, a group of eight schoolgirls stayed the night in the home dressing room, they reported a load of strange noises in the night and were quite shook up the next morning.

The strange noises must have been a Trevor Francis teamtalk.

Del Gland
09-10-2003, 11:35 AM
I've quite often felt a sudden overwhelming sadness, usually after a goal at the wrong end!

Daddy Long
09-10-2003, 11:46 AM
Funny you should say that. I have often felt a queezy feeling in my belly whilst sitting in the Holmesdale. I don't think its got anything to do with the grey burgers or out of date beer though.

Maidstoned Eagle
09-10-2003, 04:33 PM
I must admit that the Old Stand is rather eerie whenits empty. I did Palace Radio on Saturday night and left the studio at about 7 and have to admit that the hairs on the back of my neck started to rise as I walked down the stairs.

Like you Alan, I have a lot of respect for the memory of Billy Callender, as it was very rare for my Uncle to speak highly of anyone in the Palace team at that time.

DE - Glad All Over
25-10-2003, 06:27 PM
The ground is without doubt haunted, haunted with the memories of 'oh so nearly '

big bad John
02-11-2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by outlando
Hi folks,

A fan has suggested to me that Selhurst Park may be haunted. Apparently there is an unpleasant presence in the staff room from time to time, and chairs have moved by themselves.

Can anyone shed any more light on these stories?

Cheers

If you go to the website footballpoets.org/ you'll see a poem entitled 'The Ghost of Selhurst Park'
You can press new poems and go back a couple of pages to Oct 29 or you can press poets and press on the name John J O'connor. comes in first name alphabetical order. When you press his name it should be the poem to appear, if not just check the list on the side of the page and click , 'the ghost etc

outlando
03-11-2003, 07:25 AM
Nice one, thanks very much!

sticker
15-11-2003, 08:45 PM
Have not seen anything strange but the staircase leading down to the foodbar at the back of block H in the mainstand has definitely had a few people puzzled. Often footsteps can be heard although no-one is coming up the stairs. Have noticied it myself many times as have other stewards over the years.

Leap of faith
15-11-2003, 09:14 PM
Do the chairs move by themselves once they have left the hands of SJ

Baldy
19-11-2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Neil the Eagle

That would have been Bondage Bill lurking nearby with a box of tissues !!!

SmithEagle
19-11-2003, 02:25 PM
THE GHOST OF SELHURST PARK.

In the Old Stand at Crystal Palace,
in the ground of Selhurst Park,
a haunting figure shows himself,
mostly after dark.

He's a sad and forlorn figure,
standing six feet tall,
he's been seen in the trainers office,
in the club-house and the hall.

Some say it's the curse of Roland Markham,
who went by the name Ro-Mark,
he fell out with Malcolm Allison,
and put a curse on Selhurt Park.

But older fans will tell you,
that the Romark tale is silly,
as they tell the sad, sad story,
of the Palace ghost ' Wor Billy'.

Billy Callender was born near Newcastle,
two years after Queen Vic died,
and in the early 1920's,
he joined the Palace side.

A tall and agile keeper,
who wore the shirt with pride,
he soon met Eva Leslie,
and she became his bride.

You'd see them everywhere together,
always hand in hand,
and she'd cheer him on, home and away,
from her seat up in the stand.

Established as first choice,
and a favourite of the crowd,
Billy felt like a man in heaven,
floating on a cloud.

'Twas in early 1930,
as the team walked off to boos,
'Wor Billy' was gently pulled aside,
and told some tragic news.

Along with the loss to Brentford,
it was six - nil to the Bees,
he was informed that his dear wife Eva,
had an incurable disease.

Billy stayed devoted,
you'd see him pushing her wheel-chair,
he'd wheel her to home matches,
and to the seaside for fresh air.

Then in May of 32,
Billy was overcome with grief,
when Eva passed away,
in their home in Thornton Heath.

'Wor Billy' showed for training,
but he'd lost interest, in his life,
the only time he spoke,
was to tell fond stories of his wife.

He left training then one Monday,
but to his digs did not return,
and when his landlady informed the club,
they all became concerned.

It was the Palace trainer who had the task,
of breaking the sad news to the team,
cos it was him who found 'Wor Billy'
hanging from a beam.

It was in the Palace Boardroom,
that Billy Callender took his life,
a crumpled note beside him,
saying he was gone to join his wife.

Thousands lined the streets,
when they drove Billy to his grave,
the orphan boy from Prudhoe,
had made his final save.

His ghost appeared at Selhurst,
almost one year from the day,
the air got cold, he walked around,
but words he did not say.

So if you're ever in the Old Stand,
and you feel the air turn chilly,
don't be too alarmed,
it's just the ghost of our 'Wor Billy'

Ships is back
18-07-2004, 10:48 AM
Anyone up for a ghost hunt at Selhurst. I can have a word with the club. We will need about ten people for this. So whos up for it?

CP Satellite
18-07-2004, 07:54 PM
I've often wondered if there was an invisible winger as there must have been thousands of passes that have mysteriously disappeared over the years down each flank.