PDA

View Full Version : Palace Bargain!

Malakite
11-10-2003, 10:56 AM
Ive just got off the phone to my future dad-in-law, who has been away on holiday down under to a place called "Yamba" - http://www.yamba.nsw.gov.au/ ...whilst shopping around there he came across a small second hand bric-a-brac shop, where he discovered to his AMAZEMENT a Palace Scarf from the FA Cup Final!....he bought it needless to say....heres the best part...for a staggering $1!!!..is that not THE Palace bargain of the century?! :D

Trilby
11-10-2003, 11:03 AM
Quality:p

Malakite
11-10-2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Trilby
Quality:p :D

Nelson Muntz
11-10-2003, 01:27 PM
Wanna sell this 'Quality' item?
Outside the clubshop half hour before kick-off next home match.
OK?

philaire
11-10-2003, 01:37 PM
Better head up there to see what else they've got. Would no doubt prove to be a more reliable source than the Club Shop. ... I expect they would even charge less than 25stlg postage! :rolleyes:

Oliver V
11-10-2003, 01:40 PM
How much would u have bought it for if u saw one?

Malakite
11-10-2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Nelson Muntz
Wanna sell this 'Quality' item?
Outside the clubshop half hour before kick-off next home match.
OK?

hehe mate its tempting, but what a steal of a price?!...I couldnt believe it!..$1!...thats 41p on todays exchange rate! :eek:

Malakite
11-10-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Oliver Varcoe
How much would u have bought it for if u saw one?

a lot more than a buck lad thats for sure! :p

Nelson Muntz
11-10-2003, 01:58 PM
We spent more than 41p on phone calls trying to find one another last time! Great bargain.

Malakite
11-10-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Nelson Muntz
We spent more than 41p on phone calls trying to find one another last time! Great bargain.

hehe, funny tho wasnt it?!..hehe, ill keep ya posted if I hear of any other 'down under' spectacular bargains my lad!

makes you wonder how on EARTH things like that turn up in such places though doesnt it?!!..amazing me thinks!

11-10-2003, 04:09 PM
I think I can guess how such things end up in 'charity'-type shops. Without wanting to be misogynistic, it's either the wife or the mother who has had one of their compulsive clear-outs they insist on having every so often, even though there's tons of space. Anything they personally don't like the look of, particularly things they associate with their son/hubby skiving off to watch footy, goes into the big dustbinliner and is hauled off to the Oxfam or lobbed into the next parish church jumble sale, from where the poor, neglected Palace artefact spends a few years knocking around jumble sales and car boot sales and the like, until finally another Palace fan claps eyes on it and seizes it as a "bargain". Meanwhile some poor Palace fan on the other side of the world still occasionally dreams of his 1968 full set of Palace programmes/FA Cup Final scarf, 1972 change kit shirt or whatever, wondering if it ever found an owner that cared for it as much as they did. At least this case has a happy ending. I suspect my full set of Palace programmes 1968-1974 went into the fires of Hell.:sob:

Malakite
11-10-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by beestey
I think I can guess how such things end up in 'charity'-type shops. Without wanting to be misogynistic, it's either the wife or the mother who has had one of their compulsive clear-outs they insist on having every so often, even though there's tons of space. Anything they personally don't like the look of, particularly things they associate with their son/hubby skiving off to watch footy, goes into the big dustbinliner and is hauled off to the Oxfam or lobbed into the next parish church jumble sale, from where the poor, neglected Palace artefact spends a few years knocking around jumble sales and car boot sales and the like, until finally another Palace fan claps eyes on it and seizes it as a "bargain". Meanwhile some poor Palace fan on the other side of the world still occasionally dreams of his 1968 full set of Palace programmes/FA Cup Final scarf, 1972 change kit shirt or whatever, wondering if it ever found an owner that cared for it as much as they did. At least this case has a happy ending. I suspect my full set of Palace programmes 1968-1974 went into the fires of Hell.:sob:

haha thats right!...I have to agree with you...also sorry you never wore the trousers in your relationship mate! :D

Nelson Muntz
11-10-2003, 04:39 PM
My wife knows she must NOT touch, throw away, take the piss out of, laugh at, etc, etc any of my Palace collection.
The crime is punishable by divorce.

DocSavage
11-10-2003, 10:01 PM
Can you describe your almost father in law? whats taken him to this somewhat unusual holiday destination? what takes hi into bric a brak shops whilst in unlikely holiday destinations?

I think you should be very very curious and not a little worried!!!

Malakite
11-10-2003, 11:33 PM
haha I know what you mean mate!...well maybe you should ask Skippymoo more about her old man! :D

What I will say, is that Yamba is a very small remote country town with little else to do other than fish all day, or go shopping in its 'main' street/town which is basically a strip of about 6 shops and an RSL club (working mans club)..one shop of which is a Bric-a-brac shop, hence the Palace memorabilia! :D I have however, bought a Mambo shirt from there for a shop there (and it was NEW!) for $5 with is great, although the Mrs is still disgusted if I wear it anywhere..and thats coming from an Aussie! :)