PDA

View Full Version : your 2nd choice team

forsells no1 fan
21-03-2001, 03:13 AM
i was just wandering what everybody would be thinking about(football wise)at this point in the season if palace would have gone out of business in the summer(thank god it never happend - thanks SJ).
would u have lost the appetite to follow football,started supporting another local team nearby or maybe start supporting a team youve always had a soft spot for.
ive always had a softspot for blackburn and id of probally started following them but i imagine it would just never of felt the same winning a game as it had done before for palace.

LONG LIVE THE EAGLES!

howard
21-03-2001, 04:07 AM
Palace have and all ways be my first team but, have always followed non league sides when could not get to see Palace. Use to live near to Bromley ground so, supported them as second team. For the past 17 years been living in exile up here in North Wales and follow Caernarfon Town who play in the Cymru Alliance and hopefully will return to the league of Wales next season.

------------------

Stellavista
21-03-2001, 05:14 AM
I couldn't have a genuine soft spot for another 'local' side, though Orient came close in the '70's, when so many Palace players, including the mighty Jacko, seem to leave for that particular East London retirement home!

My second team is Brechin City. We're not having a bad season for a change, but I fear that the promotion challenge will come to nothing. Started like a train, then fell away a bit, and have not really found the early season form again.
Still riding high though, so there's still a
chance.
I started supporting them in the early '70's, when the Daily Mirror Football Annual published a comparison of a 'big' club, Man Utd, and a 'minnow'.
Being Palace, I couldn't resist the lure of the underdog!
I've been up for a few games, and always received a warm welcome. Top club.....

Psychokiller
21-03-2001, 12:46 PM
Palace Reserves!

Although the wife supports Arsenal so I've been dragged to watch them as well. They are, after all, my local team!

Phil's Barber
21-03-2001, 01:09 PM
My second choice team are Bath City. Managed by non other than the great Paul Bodin!!! Having an average season in the Doc Martins league.(3 points deducted ) They love to remind me of when they knocked Palace out of the FA cup in 73 or something!!

Daddy Long
21-03-2001, 01:39 PM
If Palace had gone out of business then I probably would have ended up watching West Ham as all of my Missus' family are supporters.

zonin2000
21-03-2001, 01:46 PM
Tranmere.

99.999999% Palace
0.000001% Tranmere.

------------------
oh hairy, hairy.. hairy, hairy, hairy harrison!

Mat ov CPFC
21-03-2001, 01:48 PM
I used to have a soft spot for Fulham but now that they have eclipsed us ( for the moment ) that has gone.

I used to look out for Queen of the South as well for reasons that I dont know. Just liked the name I guess.

And not so much a second team, more like a half-brother to CPFC are the other glorious boys in red & blue ( well the away strip anyway ) Hadjuk Split !

Samo*
21-03-2001, 01:53 PM
Crawley Town F.c

David Murray
21-03-2001, 02:07 PM
There is only one team, there has only ever been one team and there will only ever be one team.
Crystal Palace

jempie
21-03-2001, 02:13 PM
haven't really thought about this. Probably Newcastle. My mate supports them and I think Bobby has done wonders for em.

AND I'M FEELIN..GLAD ALL OVER!

little al
21-03-2001, 02:27 PM
Sutton Utd
Stockport county

And the mighty Upjest

Men At Work
21-03-2001, 02:44 PM
I would have become a little more interested in watching my hometown team of Hartlepool. Of course, I'll probably get the chance to do that at Selhurst next year http://www.cpfc.org/ubb/frown.gif

selhurstparkflyer
21-03-2001, 02:51 PM
My brother is a QPR fan so would probably tag along with him to that.
Howvever I doubt I could ever go mad when they score..it just wouldn't be the same.

If I wanted to go to a game on my accord I would probably head to Bromley or Beckenham. Rationally its a better deal there anyway. I can stand where I like. I see players who are committed. It costs me £4 to get in and I can easily have a pie and a pint and watch the game.

PalaceBabe
21-03-2001, 03:18 PM
Well after a period of mourning, I guess I would have accepted that CP was no longer with us, and although no team could ever,ever replace them, I guess i'd support another London side like QPR (my Dads team) although West Ham are good side.

[This message has been edited by PalaceBabe (edited 21 March 2001).]

David Murray
21-03-2001, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by PalaceBabe:
although West Ham are good side.

Have you ever had breakfast in the little cafe opposite the gates to Upton Park - must be the biggest, the best and the cheapest in the country. Only good thing I can say about particulary club surrounding I'm afraid !

Little Matt
21-03-2001, 03:36 PM
Bristol Rovers, on account of living down there for a while as a kid. They're in the same mess as we are at the moment though!

walderslade eagle
21-03-2001, 03:39 PM
Some of you may hate me for this, but it would have tyo be my local; team for the last 23 years, Gillingham, been my second team ever since I moved down to Medway. I also follow Greenock Morton's results, not sure why, they're getting relegated to scottish 2nd this year!

Leicester Eagle
21-03-2001, 03:43 PM
Redhill, in the Sussex County Division 1 (despite being in Surrey). They're not doing so well at the moment, mid-table but are trying to get into Dr Martens League. We have an ex Czech U-21 intenational plus 2 brazilians, a french player and 2 other foreigners who are first team regulars (as well as someone who I knew from school). Known as the Chelsea of the league.

Feather
21-03-2001, 03:55 PM
How about, from now until the end of the season, everyone supports Rotherham and Reading as second teams. How much worse would it be if Millwall were in a higher division than us next season!

E_girl
21-03-2001, 05:04 PM
A lot of people asked me this last year, when it looked like we were 'going out of business.'

I wouldn't have supported another team, I couldn't have. I often watch matches on TV, but I have no heart/love for the team and couldn't give a s**t whether they win or lose. I don't jump up when they score, watch teletext for a whole 90 mins - like I do with Palace.

I would have just looked forward to world cups, etc and cheered on England.

Stellavista
21-03-2001, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Leicester Eagle:
Redhill, in the Sussex County Division 1 (despite being in Surrey). They're not doing so well at the moment, mid-table but are trying to get into Dr Martens League. We have an ex Czech U-21 intenational plus 2 brazilians, a french player and 2 other foreigners who are first team regulars (as well as someone who I knew from school). Known as the Chelsea of the league.

I used to go there regularly in the '70's, when they played at the Memorial Sports Ground.
My cousin's husband played for them during the eighties, as did a number of ex-schoolmates.
They used to be in the old Athenian League, which had some useful teams in it.
Palace stars of the 70's were Alan Ives and Ricky Kidd.
Used to get good crowds to, and was especially attractive to me because a neighbour used to run the turnstile, so I often got in free!
Remember them playing a pre-season friendly at home to Fulham, with George Best in the side!
Sadly, their demise began when some iffy councillors were 'persuaded' to move the team away from the centre of the town, when a large development company were busy ripping the heart out of what had been a pleasant market town.
They'd argued that a football ground in the middle of the town centre was not good for business, and I think the redevelopment deal was eventually signed on the condition that the football club be relocated to a swamp opposite the local dump!
The old Market Hall, and a number of other Victorian buildings, was also demolished, so that the lucky inhabitants are now left with an approximation of Legoland.....
Do Redhill still play in red and white stripes?

JonnyF
21-03-2001, 05:48 PM
Chiddingstone Ladies 11

Leicester Eagle
21-03-2001, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Stellavista:
I used to go there regularly in the '70's, when they played at the Memorial Sports Ground.
My cousin's husband played for them during the eighties, as did a number of ex-schoolmates.
They used to be in the old Athenian League, which had some useful teams in it.
Palace stars of the 70's were Alan Ives and Ricky Kidd.
Used to get good crowds to, and was especially attractive to me because a neighbour used to run the turnstile, so I often got in free!
Remember them playing a pre-season friendly at home to Fulham, with George Best in the side!
Sadly, their demise began when some iffy councillors were 'persuaded' to move the team away from the centre of the town, when a large development company were busy ripping the heart out of what had been a pleasant market town.
They'd argued that a football ground in the middle of the town centre was not good for business, and I think the redevelopment deal was eventually signed on the condition that the football club be relocated to a swamp opposite the local dump!
The old Market Hall, and a number of other Victorian buildings, was also demolished, so that the lucky inhabitants are now left with an approximation of Legoland.....
Do Redhill still play in red and white stripes?

Redhill now play in a plain light red kit. I'm too young to remember them playing at the memorial, though my dad told me about it. He saw them play Wimbledon in the cup and beat Barnet in the league (how times change). They have fallen on rather hard times recently and got back into the first division 2 years ago after 9 years in the second. They are now about 2 miles from the town centre in a totally impractical location at Kiln Brow and are lucky to get 100 on match days. However, they seem to have a bit of money from the chairman and are showing ambition, building new pitches and are getting the stadium to Dr Martens League standard.

They have redeveloped the memorial very well and I the stadium was reputed to be a bit of a dump. The centre of the town is pleasent, though the pictures of the old market town look good. Unfortunately they have demolished practically anything vaguely old (apart from the sixties concrete monstocities of course).

[This message has been edited by Leicester Eagle (edited 21 March 2001).]

Silver Surfer
21-03-2001, 06:48 PM
I live in Reading........................... so it would have to be Inter Milan.

El Aguila
21-03-2001, 07:00 PM
Barcelona.
Easier for those of us who live abroad and have already had to confront this particular issue......

Phil's Barber
21-03-2001, 07:37 PM
I did forget to mention the obvious!
The mighty Dragons of Harchester United

21-03-2001, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by little al:
Sutton Utd

Oooooooh dear...

Kingstonian!

charltonhater
21-03-2001, 08:20 PM
My second team is Rotherham United because that is who the Chuckle brothers support.

NO1FAN
21-03-2001, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by E_girl:
A lot of people asked me this last year, when it looked like we were 'going out of business.'

I wouldn't have supported another team, I couldn't have. I often watch matches on TV, but I have no heart/love for the team and couldn't give a s**t whether they win or lose. I don't jump up when they score, watch teletext for a whole 90 mins - like I do with Palace.

I would have just looked forward to world cups, etc and cheered on England.
Totally agree i couldn't support another team i would probably go off football and take up golf again...

ruediger
21-03-2001, 08:47 PM
VfB Lübeck for obvious reasons
(see "home ground" in World of Football Forum)

IT'S A DARTFORD THING
21-03-2001, 11:24 PM
Palace forever.
However I do like West Brom and Kidderminster Harriers as I was born in the Midlands.

Stonewall_Jackson
22-03-2001, 12:08 AM
Chipstead! Why my ten year old plays for them in the Tandrige league.In goal u10s

henryhallandhisbasque
22-03-2001, 12:11 AM
Airdrie.

Riccardo
22-03-2001, 12:40 AM
If someone twisted my arm - which I won't advise as it would hurt and I'd be angry - it would have to be Calgari in Italy. Play in Red and Blue and always the underdog.

Plus, any team that beats Charlton / Millwall / Brighton.

philly wil
22-03-2001, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by Men At Work:
I would have become a little more interested in watching my hometown team of Hartlepool. Of course, I'll probably get the chance to do that at Selhurst next year http://www.cpfc.org/ubb/frown.gif

might be nicer for you than living in scumwall country too eh http://www.cpfc.org/ubb/wink.gif

Stellavista
22-03-2001, 02:36 AM
Redhill now play in a plain light red kit. I'm too young to remember them playing at the memorial, though my dad told me about it. He saw them play Wimbledon in the cup and beat Barnet in the league (how times change). They have fallen on rather hard times recently and got back into the first division 2 years ago after 9 years in the second. They are now about 2 miles from the town centre in a totally impractical location at Kiln Brow and are lucky to get 100 on match days. However, they seem to have a bit of money from the chairman and are showing ambition, building new pitches and are getting the stadium to Dr Martens League standard.

They have redeveloped the memorial very well and I the stadium was reputed to be a bit of a dump. The centre of the town is pleasent, though the pictures of the old market town look good. Unfortunately they have demolished practically anything vaguely old (apart from the sixties concrete monstocities of course).

[This message has been edited by Leicester Eagle (edited 21 March 2001).]

Sorry, Leicester (the team my Mum supports, and where she was born), but Redhill is now a completely anonymous sh*thole!
The old ground had a fair amount of charm, and, infact, only really consisted of one stand, with a white fence enclosure area, and a low, covered terrace and small clubhouse.
The rest of the park is virtually the same as it was in the sixties, except with the only structures that gave it any character removed, like the rest of that souless eighties town centre.
Sad to hear the stripes have gone.

CK
22-03-2001, 02:45 AM
Riccardo

My aged memory tells me that Cagliari were the team we always seemed to play in the old Anglo Italian thingee!

Local team is Weeeest 'am. no chance of that. Victoria Road for D'gn'm & R'Bridge 30 mins walk. Sorted.

Billy Hunt
22-03-2001, 02:52 AM
Northampton Town as i used to live there, Crawley who are the local non league side and Leeds my dads team.

Gark Moldberg
22-03-2001, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by The Doctor:
Oooooooh dear...

Kingstonian!

Curses! I've been beaten to it!

In that case, after their cup run, I shall instead accuse you of being a glory hunter!

eagle from Iceland
22-03-2001, 03:02 AM
For god sake Palace are live.I could never switch team.But my father support a team
called Manchester United.I like united but
Palace comes first.Abroad of England there is
one team I like that is Roma AFC

Stellavista
22-03-2001, 03:13 AM
Just for you and your old man, Leicester Eagle, here is a picture of the old Redhill ground in the 1960's.
The main stand is to the left:

http://www.redhill-history.fsnet.co.uk/lndnrd%20ftbll%20stand%2075.jpg

PalaceBabe
22-03-2001, 04:22 AM
Originally posted by David Murray:
Have you ever had breakfast in the little cafe opposite the gates to Upton Park - must be the biggest, the best and the cheapest in the country. Only good thing I can say about particulary club surrounding I'm afraid !
Talking about club surroundings. I went to the game at the weekend against Fulham, first time I'd been to South Norwood for ages. The pubs were great - started off in the Cherry Tree and ended up in the Albion, great stuff!

PalaceBabe
22-03-2001, 04:24 AM

My nephew played for them!

jonesy
22-03-2001, 04:28 AM
The Mighty CAFC http://www.cpfc.org/ubb/wink.gif
Plymouth Argyle
Raith Rovers
Vasco de Gama

Pistike
22-03-2001, 04:48 AM
No prizes for guessing my other team.

Here is a scene from an unidentified home match...

http://homepages.cpfc.org/Pistike/Vidi/P3100179_JPG.jpg

...and here is a view of last Saturdays game at Videoton.

http://homepages.cpfc.org/Pistike/Vidi/vidute.jpg

I've been to two out of the three games since the spring season started.

We lost 6-1 at Vasas and 4-0 at Videoton.

Football don't you just love it?

PS Giovanni is looking forward to meeting some more Palace supporters in May. He was curiously sober on Saturday.

little al
22-03-2001, 04:53 AM
La, la la la, la la la, la la la, la laaa, la la la, la la la la, la la la la la la la Upjest

le piddler
23-03-2001, 08:04 AM
The mighty Torquay United for a league team (and not for Helen Chamberlain either!!) & the all conquering Carshalton Athletic!!!!

cpfc-saveloys
23-03-2001, 11:27 PM
Lazio-just to follow the great one.

------------------
are brighton still our rivals?

colinT
24-03-2001, 12:07 AM
couldn't follow another team - have a soft spot for Cowdenbeath - blue brazils but would probably follow England

------------------
one day we will win something - i hope i'am still here ?

Edenbridge Eagle In Exile
24-03-2001, 01:12 AM
Before this season - Gillingham (Kent's finest) but not after the recent game at Selhurst. As a Kent team Probably Tonbridge Angels FC or one of the Eastbourne teams Eastbourne Town or Utd. BUT Not Langney Sports who are the top team in E'bourne (too many links with the Seaweeds - they even had shirt sponsers NOBO recently! Ugh!!! Also liked dirty Leeds in the early seventies!

------------------
Incorporating the "Angry Twin"

jordanismygod
24-03-2001, 01:27 AM
I've always liked Albion Rovers for some reason.
I think i liked the name when i was small.
The other team i like is West Ham

Leicester Eagle
24-03-2001, 06:35 PM
Just for you and your old man, Leicester Eagle, here is a picture of the old Redhill ground in the 1960's.

Thanks a lot stella

I was called 'Worried'
25-03-2001, 05:50 AM
York City, because I went to a game once when I was in York a few years back, they lost it 0-1 to Bristol Rovers.

BUT IM PALACE FOR EVER!

I was called 'Worried'
25-03-2001, 05:52 AM

http://www.redhill-history.fsnet.co.uk/lndnrd%20ftbll%20stand%2075.jpg

What the f*ck happened there?

Stellavista
25-03-2001, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by I was called 'Worried':
What the f*ck happened there?

Er, sorry, Worried, the picture was, in fact, taken during the demolition work!
The large piece of ironwork in the middle of the pitch is the roof of the main stand!
Thought it looked a bit different to how I remember it! http://www.cpfc.org/ubb/smile.gif

welshneil
25-03-2001, 06:40 AM
Got mates in Hull and was dragged to a match earlier this season and aquired a bit of a soft spot. Then they narly went out of business!!! F**K me have I got the kiss of death??? Maybe I should support Millwall for the rest of the season!

NYDan
25-03-2001, 06:50 AM
This is a bit like asking who I would be playing mr-sausage-hides-his-helmet with the day after if my wife died.

Tasteless thread.

http://www.cpfc.org/ubb/wink.gif