PDA

View Full Version : New Centre Back to Sign?

Dedders
16-02-2001, 01:22 PM
ROGET RULES OUT POSH MOVE
sky sports
Friday, February 16, 2001

Crystal Palace are believed to be lining up a bid for Southend defender Leo Roget, who has rejected a move to Peterborough.
That is the view of Posh boss Barry Fry, who is keen to strengthen his squad with a view to mounting a promotion challenge next season.

"I'd still like to sign Leo, but I'm hearing all sorts of different stories," said Fry on Thursday.

"I've heard that Crystal Palace are interested in Leo, which may explain why he doesn't want to come here but I will pursue the matter further today."

Roget, who scored the golden goal winner which earned the Shrimpers a meeting with Brentford in the Southern final of the LDV Vans Trophy, is keen to play at a higher level.

The 23-year-old central defender made his debut for Southend in 1996, when they were in the First Division, and believes he is capable of a return when his contract expires in the summer.

Southend boss Dave Webb ruled out a move to London Road for Roget, saying: "Leo has told me he doesn't want to join Peterborough if he can get a game with us at Roots Hall.

"Barry is obviously very keen and has left a message on my answerphone. But it doesn't seem that I'd be doing us any favours by letting Leo leave."

Does anyone have any more info on this young centre back we may be interested in. Any good?

Beanie
16-02-2001, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Dedders:

Crystal Palace are believed to be lining up a bid for Southend defender Leo Roget, ........

Hack 1 "Crystal Palace may make a bid for Leo Roget"

Hack 2 "I believe you"

Report " Crystal Palace are believed ........"

That's how it works I'm afraid!

zonin2000
16-02-2001, 03:52 PM
Dont be so cynical!

Although, it probably isn't true... http://www.cpfc.org/ubb/smile.gif

Gaffer
16-02-2001, 03:54 PM
Well yes, but in this instance they're clearly building the story based on the Barry Fry quote.

If it's true, Jordan and Smith will be despairing. They would both have managed to keep their gargantuan gobs shut for once only for fat freak Fry to spill the beans for them.

zonin2000
16-02-2001, 03:55 PM
Oh it's from sky sports....

they are getting worse than teamtalk.

If we are to believe them, then it's Sun and Leo on Saturday..

Gaffer
16-02-2001, 04:02 PM
http://www1.planetfootball.com/images/playerpics99_00/england/std/roget_leo.jpg

Leo Roget

yorkshire eagle
16-02-2001, 08:13 PM
but is he any good !!!!!!!!!!

Gooders
16-02-2001, 08:47 PM
He's 23 and he plays for Southend who ply their trade in the lower reaches or Division 3.

How good can he be?

Steve C
16-02-2001, 09:02 PM
What the feck is going on,I just returned from my travels around europe,hoping see two new faces at Selhurst,but low and behold nothing, nadder,zip,no new players, just lots of crap about 2nd rate players who we may or not be interested in,in the mean time Wolves have signed Butler and Roussel.its time to piss or get of the pot,I,m sick to death that will we dither the other clubs sign the good players. http://www.cpfc.org/ubb/mad.gif

------------------
Guten Tag!ex Basingstoke lad!

Worthing Eagle
16-02-2001, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Gooders:
He's 23 and he plays for Southend who ply their trade in the lower reaches or Division 3.

How good can he be?

Marc Edworthy was signed from Division Three Plymouth, there's a few bargains to be had. Not many though.

Men At Work
16-02-2001, 09:14 PM

How good can he be?

How useless was that bloke we got from perennial cellar-dwellars, Carlisle. What was his name again? Oh yeah, Jansen.

Beanie
16-02-2001, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Steve C:
....I,m sick to death that will we dither the other clubs sign the good players. http://www.cpfc.org/ubb/mad.gif

We didn't dither - we just didn't want them. It's as simple as that.

Right or wrong, we will see, but I'd say that the club are happy that the players we have will see us through this season. Jordan said on the radio today he's given up on the Chinese and the ball is in Tranmere's court re Koumas. Unless somebody special comes along I predict we will wait until the usual merry go round in the summer. (He also said that they will NOT be back for Asaba in the summer as they won't increase the pay he has already turned down)

Gooders
16-02-2001, 09:43 PM
It's a fair point Men at Work but as far as I know, Moan United are not about to fork out for Roget.

In fact, I've never heard any club express the remotest interest in him (other than Peterboro of course).

As for Edworthy, Plymouth were in division 2 when we signed him and whilst I liked him and thought he was a real trier, top class he was not (and never will be).

Men At Work
16-02-2001, 09:57 PM
The thing is that no one else bothered to bid for Beattie when he was playing rubbish. Palace did because the management thought they saw something there and events have shown them to be right. A lot of it isn't necessarily what the player is doing at their current club but what they can be capable of doing at another one.

Gooders
16-02-2001, 10:17 PM
Would that you had chosen anyone other than Beattie to further expound that point of view MaW!

I realise that I'll be in a tiny minority (for a change) but I still think Beattie is a ******* carthorse I'm afraid!

Yes, I know his goal record speaks for itself ever since our interest became known but with the exception of what I understand to have been a "wonder goal" at Sunderland, most of his are scored from about 2 yards at the Dell and appear to me to come off his shoulders, his knees, the side of his face, or his arse!

And in one recent game, he punched one in.

He's a donkey. Always was, always will be. Even Shipperley is better than him.

arussell
16-02-2001, 10:22 PM
Roget's a reasonable player.

He's played against us before and I recall that a year or two ago a couple of first division clubs were interested in him.

I' m sure he's capable of playing in the first although whether we are interested in him is another matter entirely !

arussell
16-02-2001, 10:23 PM
Roget's a reasonable player.

He's played against us before and I recall that a year or two ago a couple of first division clubs were interested in him.

I' m sure he's capable of playing in the first although whether we are interested in him is another matter entirely !

arussell
16-02-2001, 10:30 PM
DOH !

That's what happens when the board times out !!

[This message has been edited by arussell (edited 16 February 2001).]

Daddy Long
16-02-2001, 10:31 PM
Would you say that Rogets a reasonable player? http://www.cpfc.org/ubb/wink.gif

------------------
Craigy Harrison AKA Potential

Ian Hart
16-02-2001, 11:56 PM
I reckon so.

I'm pretty sure he's played against us before, and a couple of first division teams were interested in him, but that may have been a year or two ago.

I can't remember where I heard that from, though http://www.cpfc.org/ubb/wink.gif

Robin
17-02-2001, 01:26 AM
My colleague who is a Southend season ticket holder has been raving about this player for ages and has been dreading he day when a Div 1 Club comes in for him. Played well on the only occasion I have seen Southend.

Vic Eagle
17-02-2001, 11:33 PM
...with the exception of what I understand to have been a "wonder goal" at Sunderland, most of his are scored from about 2 yards at the Dell and appear to me to come off his shoulders, his knees, the side of his face, or his arse!

So what?

Gooders
18-02-2001, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by Vic Eagle:
So what?

So...He's a donkey. Always was, always will be.

The man is without skill and has been on a very lucky run of goalscoring form - I would in all honesty rather have Freedman, Morrison or Forssell than him, every time.

Oh, and I presume that Roget impressed any watching scouts today by starring in Southend's 0-3 defeat at home to the mighty Halifax?

[This message has been edited by Gooders (edited 17 February 2001).]

Gooders
18-02-2001, 01:44 AM
Double post.

[This message has been edited by Gooders (edited 17 February 2001).]

Ian Hart
18-02-2001, 02:59 AM
Is that how you and Mr Russell became SuperMonkeys - putting everything on twice? http://www.cpfc.org/ubb/wink.gif

Gooders
18-02-2001, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Ian Hart:
Is that how you and Mr Russell became SuperMonkeys - putting everything on twice? http://www.cpfc.org/ubb/wink.gif

Damn. Rumbled!

I've just watched the re-run of MOTD and I couldn't help noticing that the donkey missed 2 absolute sitters from about 2 yards - didn't manage to get his arse in the way quick enough this time!

JABBA
18-02-2001, 03:37 PM
At least his a defender! That's what we need!

------------------
We are PALACE, SUPER PALACE!!!!

Ted Rodgers
18-02-2001, 11:44 PM
What happened about our interest in Tihinen, the defender currently on-loan at West Ham???
It looks like the Hammers are not going to sign him.He looks a class act.

Crunchie
19-02-2001, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by Ted Rodgers:
What happened about our interest in Tihinen, the defender currently on-loan at West Ham???
It looks like the Hammers are not going to sign him.He looks a class act.

Completely agree. Sign him up!

El D
19-02-2001, 03:21 AM
The newspaper this morning suggested that we and Middlesbrough are battling for Tihinen. Wonder which one he would choose if he had the option?!

Beanie
19-02-2001, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by El D:
The newspaper this morning suggested that we and Middlesbrough are battling for Tihinen. Wonder which one he would choose if he had the option?!

Emphasis - the NEWSPAPER suggested... to the best of my knowledge the club have never expressed any interest in signing Tihinen. Whether that's a good move or not don't get sucked in by pure media hype - again.

Gaffer
20-02-2001, 05:33 AM
Leo Roget was never a Palace target, as Smith confirmed on Saturday.

Barry Fry clearly has his own agenda.