PDA

View Full Version : Jamie Pollock Leaves

Eagle
16-03-2001, 01:05 AM
Jamie Pollock has left Crystal Palace to join Birmingham City on loan for the rest of the season with a view to a permanent move.
Trevor Francis moved to bring in Palace's tranfer listed midfielder after injuries to key Birmingham players.

Pete B
16-03-2001, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by Eagle:
Jamie Pollock has left Crystal Palace to join Birmingham City on loan for the rest of the season with a view to a permanent move.
Trevor Francis moved to bring in Palace's tranfer listed midfielder after injuries to key Birmingham players.

If this is true it is a sad day, albeit inevitable. Watch Birmingham get promoted now.

forsells no1 fan
16-03-2001, 01:34 AM
were did u here this.i havent heard it anywhere?

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
16-03-2001, 01:38 AM
Eventful day at Selhurst.

anti-addick
16-03-2001, 01:43 AM
There was a definate lull before the storm this week

SARN
16-03-2001, 02:18 AM
Well as far as I am concerned, Palace's loss will be Birmingham's gain. Pollock was 100% committed on the field and that's what we desperately need in midfield. Hopefully Hoppy can be a good replacement but it worries me that he couldn't even get into Bradford's 1st team?

------------------
Its me again.

Eagle
16-03-2001, 02:45 AM
I also haven't seen this story confirmed but have written it on the evidence of what i read on the MIDAS Soccer website who normally get most things right.
You will read the story there.

NO1FAN
16-03-2001, 02:45 AM
It's a damn shame but it was on the cards.
I feel Hopkin and Pollock would have been great in our midfield picking up loose balls and diistributing them to Rubins and Black.
Oh well a suppose nothings simple being a PALACE fan.

forsells no1 fan
16-03-2001, 02:54 AM
yeah cheers m8 i just read it on that website.
b******s nows the time we need players like pollock.just goes to show hes a quality player and how wrong smith was by birmingham(4th in the league) snapping him up quick sharp.
maybe its good news for pollock - he can come back in the summer to a new manager at palace.

Scoey9000
16-03-2001, 05:22 AM
Hope springs eternal

arussell
16-03-2001, 05:42 AM
DOH ! http://www.cpfc.org/ubb/frown.gif

Still - at least it's only a loan so far and hopefully by the end of the season our current manager will have "moved on" and the brash chairman who likes to think he can dictate to everyone, might have calmed down a bit !

Gooders
16-03-2001, 12:34 PM
Well, good luck Jamie - I suspect you've moved to a club where your efforts will be appreciated and should bring their own reward.

If they've a manager and chairman there who don't revert to child every time they're criticised, it will be a start.

Essexeagle
16-03-2001, 12:52 PM
Do you really think that Birmingham will want sign Pollock if they do go up?? I don't think so

Oxted Eagle
16-03-2001, 01:16 PM
********! I feel like staying away from Selhurst now until we have a decent manager at the helm. Please lets hope that B'ham don't want to keep our best midfield player!

cgarcia
16-03-2001, 01:21 PM
I cant ******* believe that weve let the only player we had capable of getting out of this mess go. The fact that hell get straight into their first team and their fourth just shows have ******* stupid Smith is. I always thought Smith sounded like a dumb **** , now hes just proved it

Prince Phillip
16-03-2001, 01:25 PM
If this is the way that the Jordan/Smith axis is to behave form now on, we can now demand a good team rather than stick with it and hope for one.

If they want to make big, bold decisions that fly in the face of supporter opinion then they must deliver us a big, bold team.

They've pi88ed off the fans at their absoulte peril.

Gooders
16-03-2001, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Essexeagle:
Do you really think that Birmingham will want sign Pollock if they do go up?

Yes.

Stubby
16-03-2001, 01:30 PM
This is a sad day !!!!!!

Scotty
16-03-2001, 01:49 PM
Hopefully this means we can forget about Pollock and get back to supporting this football club.
I find it amazing, the man puts in a few good performances, runs over to the Holmesdale a couple of times pumping his fists and suddenly he is the heart and sole of the club.
I can point out a few other examples of how easy it is to win over us lot - take Sasa Curcic, kissing the badge, quotes about not leaving the club except in a wooden box - then last week he is on Soccer Saturday being very emotional about Bolton being the only club he was ever happy at playing for.
Wake up everyone please, unfortunately football has changed over the last 10 years, Pollock will be playing for another club on Saturday good luck him and them. We need to get back to supporting the team and giving the players the same sort of atmosphere that saved us for going down last year.

Essexeagle
16-03-2001, 01:54 PM
That was my point as well...yes he's a good player and yes he's a battler but I remember half of the bbs spending all season slagging him off saying he can't pass, he gets booked all the time, he runs around like a headless chicken.

Suddenly hes the most indispensible player we've ever had.

Birmingham will not sign Pollock if they do go up - or if they do he will get a lot of splinters in his arse while warming the bench in the prem

Tarby
16-03-2001, 01:59 PM
Good luck to Pollock, I'd rather be in the Prem than the 2nd.

Top Eagle
16-03-2001, 02:04 PM
From what I can see this is not Smith but Jordan who has caused this i.e. it was his bust up with Pollock that eventually put the nail in the coffin.

Much as I think Smith is a bad manager, this one is solely down to Jordan.

My only concern is that if Smith is away in Germany and we have signed Hopkin, how much of this decision was down to Jordan and will Smith want to use a player who is not "his man"?

Maybe worth thinking about.

Crunchie
16-03-2001, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Gooders:
Well, good luck Jamie - I suspect you've moved to a club where your efforts will be appreciated and should bring their own reward.

If they've a manager and chairman there who don't revert to child every time they're criticised, it will be a start.

here here!

Simon Forrest
16-03-2001, 02:19 PM
We will miss Jamie. He was solid and never gave up. Why do we insist on letting players like him go?

Birmingham will be the new Barnsley for us eg selling them Dyer, Miller and Tuttle, now we'll sell Mullins, Harrison and Gray to the Brummies.

A sad day indeed.

wedgetail
16-03-2001, 02:27 PM
Pollock is a Birmingham sort of players, lots of commitment but no real talent just like the rest of their team. The fact that Birmingham are doing well is really just an indicator of how much a mediocre team that is well coached and works hard for 46 x 90 minutes can achieve in this league.
If the story is true then Good luck to JAmie, however he won't find the Bummingham Titty Chairmen to be pleasant people.

Cleon
16-03-2001, 02:28 PM
Goodbye Pollock. Time for us to get on with our lives and start supporting Palace. If, at the beginning of the season, you'd been offered a choice between Jamie Pollock and David Hopkin, who would you have chosen?

Hopkin every time. Welcome home David.

------------------
"Somewhere back there with a nightstick shoved halfway up his ass"

Sandhurst Eagle
16-03-2001, 02:31 PM
Cheap gestures such as saying he loves the fans etc are meaningless. He's the sort of player that will play for a few more clubs before his career is out and, no doubt, will swear undying love for each set of fans. Like most people, he's going to look after no. 1.

If the Chairman (and Palace fan) thinks Pollock shouldn't play for the club again then it must be with good reason. I know who I'd rather believe-the 100 % Palace man and not the itinerant traveller

Al From Bromley
16-03-2001, 02:43 PM
To my mind, Jordan had an argument which he was determined to win and that has cost him 1.5m just to prove his point. Hopkin must be seen as a replacement for Pollock. Lets hope he doesnt have too many more arguments with players this season otherwise we could have another Goldberg (spend, spend, spend mentality) on our hands! Oh what joy!

Neil, yes, another one!
16-03-2001, 02:56 PM
i suspect Pollock will be replacing the injured Martin O'Connor - they're pretty similar players in many ways - now, remind me, who was it that O'Connor used to play for, before moving to, i think, Walsall and then Brum!?! http://www.cpfc.org/ubb/rolleyes.gif

What goes around, comes around...

Dillenger
16-03-2001, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Scotty:
We need to get back to supporting the team and giving the players the same sort of atmosphere that saved us for going down last year.

can't see last years atmosphere returning to the club while these two jokers are running things.

Exiled in Bury
16-03-2001, 06:14 PM
No. Pollock is not a Premier player and in a decent footballing team would be found wanting.

Yes. He is committed and the sort you need in a relegation scrap where in this division pretty football unfortunately has no place.

That seems to be the point being made here.

The other of course is that Jordan seems to has made a "manager's decision" rather than Smith making it. Therefore regardless of if (please be when!) Smith goes, Pollock will not be welcomed back by Jordan anyway.

I would prefer to see Pollock alongside Hopkin 'cos that's what you need when fighting relegation but I suppose if Pollock "wasn't going to be allowed in a Palace shirt again" at least we've got him off the wage bill for a while. Whether fit or not, we've now got another combative midfielder who will be allowed to play.

Ted Rodgers
16-03-2001, 06:32 PM
Lets hope he's allowed to play, and does not dare upset AS and SJ.Good luck to Jamie,hope he returns to us at the end of the season.

Webbo
16-03-2001, 07:01 PM
It has to be said good luck to Jamie because he did win over the fans. Although he probably would be sidelined with a Premiership team, we are scrapping it out at the wrong end of the First and Pollock is the sort of player who injects steel into the midfield. The whole Pollock issue raises questions about Jordan's involvement in the team. Yes, he has put money into the side and one could say he is entitled to get involved, but this sets a dangerous precedent-who is picking the team and making the decisions? It should be a manager with a bit of nowse who isn't scared to have his own opinions and tell the chairman where to get off when it comes to the playing field. Come on Palace, sort it out and stay up.

[This message has been edited by Webbo (edited 16 March 2001).]

Fat Andy
16-03-2001, 07:17 PM
I feel sorry that he's leaving because of what happened, IF true. But as stated before he's hardly stayed at one club for any length of time, I doubt he's as innocent as he's trying to portray.

Now, as a footballer I won't miss him at all. Yes, he ran around a lot, yes you can argue he gives 100%. But, kissing your badge and winding up the crowd shouldn't shadow the fact that he is very limited as a player. I can't believe he got a standing ovation from large sections of the crowd after running across the pitch and getting sent off against Norwich. He, like Ruddock, was supposed to be a good influence, but he was anything but that. His endless hoofs up pitch was so pleasing on the eye. This is all just my opinion but I would sincerely doubt B'ham will buy him, good luck to him but I won't lose any sleep over it.

Gooders
16-03-2001, 07:27 PM
I've obviously been watching Palace games in a parallel dimension.

You're happy to see Pollock move on whilst Thomson, Mullins, Smith, Black, Rubins and diverse others scrabble around under-performing are you?

OK.

Pudsey Eagle
16-03-2001, 07:32 PM
pollock is the only midfielder player to have scored a goal since December!

he was always a player likely to get in the box and score. compare to:

mullins - 1 league goal, thomson - 0 league goals, rodger - 0 league goals

let's hope hoppy can do better.

Daddy Long
16-03-2001, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Pudsey Eagle:
pollock is the only midfielder player to have scored a goal since December!

he was always a player likely to get in the box and score. compare to:

mullins - 1 league goal, thomson - 0 league goals, rodger - 0 league goals

let's hope hoppy can do better.

I was thinking that myself...he has 4 goals from midfield this season, only equalled by Tommy Black (when he was playing well). I would have to say that, along with Jamie Smith, Pollock was our most on form midfielder. Looks like we'll probably be losing Smith at the end of the season aswell...how do they work that one out?

Worthing Eagle
16-03-2001, 07:46 PM
the Birmingham City website says Pollock has been let out on loan due to "financial problems at Selhurst Park"

What?! Amazing that some people still think we are broke, do these people have any idea whats going on in football, what on earth are they doing editing a football website?

Fat Andy
16-03-2001, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Gooders:
I've obviously been watching Palace games in a parallel dimension.

You're happy to see Pollock move on whilst Thomson, Mullins, Smith, Black, Rubins and diverse others scrabble around under-performing are you?

OK.

Did I say that I'm happy that the others are under-performing?

I just said I'm not bothered Pollock is leaving, two separate issues Gooders.

Tomahawks
16-03-2001, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Fat Andy:

This is all just my opinion but I would sincerely doubt B'ham will buy him, good luck to him but I won't lose any sleep over it.

of course youre entitled to your opinion but for me Pollock has shown more determination and sheer will to win than any other player this season. Palace are the losers here.

[This message has been edited by Tomahawks (edited 16 March 2001).]

Eagle
16-03-2001, 09:25 PM
I think if you look at the Birmingham City chat site they are not happy at all about their latest signing!!!

Gooders
16-03-2001, 09:34 PM
Andy - my post appeared straight after yours but my comments weren't aimed at you - more at the general consensus that seemed to be that "he won't be missed", which I find amazing.

Up to now, despite his absences, he'd be getting my vote for player of the season, with Kolinko his only rival.

Fan has been missing for too long (again) to be considered any more, IMHO.

Fat Andy
16-03-2001, 09:42 PM
Poin taken Gooders. I just think that we've had too many players over the years who were 100%'ers but lacked ability. I know Pollock gave his all, but I think Hopkin is a direct replacement, and in my opinion is a better player. I suppose only time will tell but if Hopkin proves a successful buy, then Pollock will soon be forgotten. Fans are fickle, I feel at the moment that the frustration at Smith is being taken out in all directions. when we started winning (seems a while ago) everyone forgot about their anti-feelings. I even read numerous people saying recently that we're missing Ruddock!!

Back to the point in question, I reckon that Pollock won't be in B'hams team in a few weeks time, they've only got him in due to injuries to all their midfielders. Just my opinion, and normally off the mark, but you've got to have your say haven't you ?

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
17-03-2001, 01:55 AM
Hopefully he might play well though and by the time he returns our chairman will realise how much we need him and our manager will have been replaced.

Won't happen but i can dream.....

Chester 76
17-03-2001, 05:09 AM
Originally posted by Sandhurst Eagle:
Cheap gestures such as saying he loves the fans etc are meaningless. He's the sort of player that will play for a few more clubs before his career is out and, no doubt, will swear undying love for each set of fans. Like most people, he's going to look after no. 1.

If the Chairman (and Palace fan) thinks Pollock shouldn't play for the club again then it must be with good reason. I know who I'd rather believe-the 100 % Palace man and not the itinerant traveller

Middlesborough (6 seasons), Osasuna (less than a season), Bolton(a season),Manchester City(2 seasons), Crystal Palace (less than a season) & Birmingham (?????). Pollock is only 26 & has moved five times in less than five years, having left Middlesborough during the summer of 96.Maybe its coincidence or his unlucky or prehaps the anonymous director at the fans forum`s description was right ?