PDA

View Full Version : Dowie Frustrated in Landing Big One

Thinker&Thicket
31-08-2004, 11:01 AM
This looks ominous - We're being softened up

http://www.myfootballnews.co.uk/Crystal-Palace-Team-News-61.html

lombardo's wife
31-08-2004, 11:11 AM
Yep, it doesn't look good. Everyone knows we need to sign a couple of quality players before the deadline. If we fail to do so we could be down by Christmas (not to be too pessimistic!!).

Bobby Woodruff
31-08-2004, 11:15 AM
1 Where is the money to pay these 'quality' players meant to come from?

2 NO WHINGEING!!!

Gerry from Sussex
31-08-2004, 11:16 AM
Look on the bright side, Sorondo has played an average of about 10 or 11 games a season for the past 7 years. He was certainly not the nailed on proven quality player we all wish for. This might have been a good signing but could just as easily have turned out an expensive flop. We might have been spared a lot of frustration.

Gerry from Sussex
31-08-2004, 11:17 AM
Plus, we are still being linked with Neil Clement. Could be a better signing in any case. (Remember, for every Lombardo there are usually 3 or 4 Padavanos!)

PeterH
31-08-2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Bobby Woodruff
1 Where is the money to pay these 'quality' players meant to come from?

2 NO WHINGEING!!!

1. From Sky?

2. No whingeing, Dowie has said himself that he feels we are four short. Having been out played by Chelsea and Middlesborough being four short for half a season isn't handy. What if we were to lose a few to injury.

Gerry from Sussex
31-08-2004, 11:27 AM
If we get injuries Borrowdale, Soares and maybe even Ben Watson will get a game. Okay, that probably doesn't answer your concerns, but these are all decent players in the making

Pistike
AND NO REASONED ARGUEMENTS EITHER!

mainstandeagle
Well said PeterH.

Bobby Woodruff
31-08-2004, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by PeterH
1. From Sky?

Most of that money is spoken for in paying off debts and paying the current players.

2. No whingeing, Dowie has said himself that he feels we are four short. Having been out played by Chelsea and Middlesborough being four short for half a season isn't handy. What if we were to lose a few to injury.

I agree it's not perfect, but see 1 above. If there is no money there is no point in moaning. If we spend money we do not have then we are going down the Goldberg road again.

The Vicar
31-08-2004, 12:10 PM
Relegation rivals West Brom and Bolton have made major signings in the last 24 hours, with Portsmouth about to do the same.

:confused: :sob:

TheCharmer
31-08-2004, 12:17 PM
yeah West Brom have bought well. But i suppose they've been in the Premiership more recently then us so have more dough tucked away

Time
31-08-2004, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by TheCharmer
yeah West Brom have bought well. But i suppose they've been in the Premiership more recently then us so have more dough tucked away

We do have dough tucked away, sadly for Dowie it's in hidden in the lining of Jordans sofa.

SKATE
31-08-2004, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by TheCharmer

They also have more experience in thr premiership transfer market - which is something we are having to learn from scratch.

sydnsteve
31-08-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by The Vicar
Relegation rivals West Brom and Bolton have made major signings in the last 24 hours, with Portsmouth about to do the same.

But Vicar, they are either in the Prem, or have just gone up again, so have far more money than we do. So anyone we want they can offer more to. It is deeply frustrating, but it is much better to get no-one than to panic buy. Aki nad Hughes will be a good midfield if Hughes is given time toi get back to fitness. He seems to take a while to get fully match fit, and needs regular first team games.
I agree that we could do with a creative midfielder, but who would you suggest? It looks to me very much as though we will be signing no-one.

SKATE
31-08-2004, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by The Vicar

I don't think Bolton were ever going to be relegation rivals!

mainstandeagle
31-08-2004, 12:27 PM
We're down if we don't make signings, end of story.

(Not trying to be negative, just realistic)

ANDYEAGLE
31-08-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by mainstandeagle
We're down if we don't make signings, end of story.

(Not trying to be negative, just realistic)

You never know mainstand if we get thru to January still in touch we could make a few signings and then another miracle could start to happen like last Jan. It can happen cheer up.

The Vicar
31-08-2004, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by SKATE
I don't think Bolton were ever going to be relegation rivals!

I will never, ever, think of Bolton as a "big" club! ;)

And I will always want to believe, at least, that Palace has the potential to be on par with them or be a more established, more significant club.

So it is a little hard to accept that they are echelons above us right now.

In terms of your basic point, though, I can't disagree fundamentally.

ozzieEagle
31-08-2004, 01:10 PM
If we dont get any signings, What then (i'm sure we will by the way)

I personally would invite 3 players into SJ's office for a chat, All 3 youngmen, All 3 capable of playing the rest of their careers at premiership level, and telling them the weight is now on their shoulders.

1. Routlidge, Stop giving the ball away immediatly, and you will become the most improved player in England overnight.

2. Leighterwood, you have the power son !

3. Boyce, I've got a feeling he could well be a great player, so he needs to beleive inhimself now.

IE; even if we Don't sign anymore players, I dont think we are necessarily doomed.

Any other players you would like to have a special word with ?

sydnsteve
31-08-2004, 01:15 PM
Yep. Speroni, don't let any goals in. AJ, score loads of them. Sorted.