PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Think?

Jim Cannon
31-08-2004, 11:04 AM
After all the aborted attempts to sign various players, and SJ's steadfast refusal to pay agents fees this may have caused a rift between chairman and manager. If we fail to make any significant signings today do you think ID will be so frustrated that he may decide to walk away? I am not suggesting this is definitely the case but I think anyone would be a little disappointed at some of our attempts to sign certain players.

Comments anyone?

celery stick
31-08-2004, 11:06 AM
No.
Dowie's no quitter.

thewill
31-08-2004, 11:07 AM
no

i think dowie and sj are honest tell it how it is kind of people and if there was a problem they would have addressed it

Lion
31-08-2004, 11:07 AM
No.

Kirby
31-08-2004, 11:08 AM
No.

Thinker&Thicket
31-08-2004, 11:09 AM
Why would he walk away? The Chairman has already sanctioned the arrival of nine players. I don't think that Dowie is a Steve Bruce and a person who goes back on his word.

On the other hand - it's Football - the land of the alternative morals.

SKATE
31-08-2004, 11:10 AM
No. Bob Dowie deals with all the off the pitch/boardroom stuff ie SJ anyway. Please relax and stop worrying about things a) that are not going to happen and b) you have no control over anyway ;)

Gerry from Sussex
31-08-2004, 11:11 AM
No chance. If we were in our second season and the same things were happening he might start to think that maybe CPFC isn't the place where he can fulfill his ambitions. But, at this stage, I would be mazed if he's even thought about it.

markholmes1991
31-08-2004, 11:11 AM
You’re merely speculating. We're not to know what the manager/chairman’s relationship is like, but going on what “celery stick” said, he's a man with grace & dignity, & he wouldn't walk away. This situation will just test Dowies’s credentials as a top manager & I’ve got a sneaky suspicion he’ll come out with top marks

Watch us stay up!

Raving Lunatic
31-08-2004, 11:12 AM
I can't see Dowie walking away, not after what he's achieved with the club in so little time. He must feel Crystal Palace are a team who can be better than relegation scrappers, surely...

Jim Cannon
31-08-2004, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by SKATE
No. Bob Dowie deals with all the off the pitch/boardroom stuff. Please relax and stop worrying about things a) that are not going to happen and b) you have no control over anyway ;)

Pleased to hear positive replies. Maybe I am being paranoid but wanted to hear other people's views.:p

Boyandy
31-08-2004, 11:21 AM
I'm not so sure myself. While I don't believe ID is anything other than an entirely honourable man, there's only so much someone can take. I'm worried that he'll get disillusioned if we don't get anyone in by the end of the day following the dramas regarding Cahill, Cisse, Carrick, Harewood, etc.

I'm not suggesting that Dowie will do a Bruce or anything - but the frustration he's feeling won't be doing the relationship any favours (the Match of The Day comment suggested to me that our apparent lack of nous in the transfer market is starting to get to ID).

Gerry from Sussex
31-08-2004, 11:23 AM
But he has also said that he recognises that this is a steep learning curve for everyone involved with managing CPFC - including himself. He'll treat it in is his usual style - as an experience to learn from.

Freddy Kurz
31-08-2004, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Jim Cannon
After all the aborted attempts to sign various players, and SJ's steadfast refusal to pay agents fees this may have caused a rift between chairman and manager. If we fail to make any significant signings today do you think ID will be so frustrated that he may decide to walk away? I am not suggesting this is definitely the case but I think anyone would be a little disappointed at some of our attempts to sign certain players.

Comments anyone?

Don't believe Dowie is a quitter, although he has
already expressed his disappointment at some of
our performances -but not the player's eff-
orts -and his failure to strengthen the first team
squad (so far) to his satisfaction.
I could only visualise him leaving if he felt that
he might be a hindrance to our further develop-
ment. Although he is on a long term contract
it has already been reported that that he and
the Chairman each have a six-month opt-out
clause, which I saw at the time as covering the
possibility of the Club being sold and giving the
manager the chance to go if either he or any
new owner disagreed with him continuing. It
could just as well meet the other eventuality I
suggested above.
As we have seen at other Premier League clubs
no manager's position is sacrosanct. But in
the case of Dowie, he and Jordan appear to be
on a similar wave-length as to the direction of
the club and team-building and I would expect
him to stay in position this and next season,
whether or not we stay in the Premier League,
simply because he would be the club's best
option to lead us again to promotion in the
unfortunate event of our being relegated.

Gerry from Sussex
31-08-2004, 11:31 AM
If Dowie were to be tested in the forseeable I reckon it would be if we were relegated and AJ was poached by a prem club. He is very much in the shop window now and that's a two edged sword for us because he's already getting favourable mentions in dispatches whereas alot of clubs might have been unsure as long as he was in the pepsi challenge.

mainstandeagle
31-08-2004, 11:33 AM
What a load of ••••••• crap SJ wrote on the website about new players and then all that publicising crap about 'this will take his spending to x million'. Crap. Sorry I'm just very frustrated.

glaziers fan
31-08-2004, 11:39 AM
SJ is good friends with Bobby Robson...

Great Lombardi
31-08-2004, 11:42 AM
Didn't Jordan say he would be signing players worth many millions in a newspaper. hmmmmmmm.... don't think this will materialise.

Jim Cannon
31-08-2004, 11:44 AM
And still no Eyebrow Raiser.....

Freddy Kurz
31-08-2004, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by mainstandeagle
What a load of ••••••• crap SJ wrote on the website about new players and then all that publicising crap about 'this will take his spending to x million'. Crap. Sorry I'm just very frustrated.

Much of the SJ hype looks as if its main object
was to sell more season tickets and increase
advanced bookings for future home games.
If challenged he will probably trot out the
"I want to sell the club anyway" line. All very
cynical, I'm afraid. The question is will the
Palace faithful accept it if we plunge towards
relegation? Fans Forum anyone?

ANDYEAGLE
31-08-2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Freddy Kurz
Much of the SJ hype looks as if its main object
was to sell more season tickets and increase
advanced bookings for future home games.
If challenged he will probably trot out the
"I want to sell the club anyway" line. All very
cynical, I'm afraid. The question is will the
Palace faithful accept it if we plunge towards
relegation? Fans Forum anyone?

I think most of the Palace faithfull accept relegation anyway were used to it we just live in hope. I have no problem with SJ trying to sell the club good luck to him,this is the ideal opportunity for him to get some of his money back who can blame him for that.
Of course he comes out with a load of bull thats the way he is. I for one take anything he says with a pinch of salt especially as the club is now on the market and he has his own agenda.

Jim Cannon
31-08-2004, 12:06 PM
I think as usual if we are relegated we will lose some of our support. Let's face it, during the run in/play offs last season we suddenly had a lot more fans than usual which will continue as long as we are in the Premiership.