PDA

View Full Version : A long hard winter

Eagle123
31-08-2004, 02:32 PM
At the time of writing (3:23pm) I have not even heard so much as a whisper of an actual signing. My hope is that we have signed some or even a couple of players and I am clinging to the hope of us fully completing the whole deals IE: making sure they are registered with the FA and in turn EUFA before making an announcement. My gut feeling though is we will be left dissapointed with the squad we have battling to just keep in touch with our relegation rivals till Jan. This I believe is a task even beyond ID (who I rate v highly).
I promised myself that I would try to enjoy this season with us staying up being a bonus but in reality I feel pretty down at the prospect of being whipping boys. I am not trying to run our hard working enthusiastic squad down but just being realistic.
Has anyone PLEASE got some news to cheer me up like for instance a signing I havent heard about?:sob:

Dan Dare
31-08-2004, 02:35 PM
What? Did you miss the press conference announcing the new signings?

Scoot
31-08-2004, 02:35 PM
Yep .... currently trying to get odds on Palace being the first team to go a season in the top flight without a single victory :sob: :sob: :sob:

Malakite
31-08-2004, 02:36 PM
not good..anyone know of any premium numbers I can ring whilst at work that might give us an idea?

Sussex Eagle
31-08-2004, 02:38 PM
It was going to be tough either way, but I'd still be suprised if we get nothing. Just belt up till tomorrow morning and see if anything's happened.

Malakite
31-08-2004, 02:41 PM
number of any transfer hotline?

Will S
31-08-2004, 02:44 PM
The phrase 'long hard winter' should be banned. We have long hard autumn's, spring's and summer's to endure as Palace fans.

Sir.S.C Remembered
31-08-2004, 02:49 PM
Whipping boys who haven't been whipped yet or even walked over easily

ebyeeckeagle
31-08-2004, 03:05 PM
I think the Russians could give you better examples of long hard winters. And as Sir.S.C Remembered says, who gonna actually whip us (apart from Arsenal of course)? Even without any more signings, ID has some time now to work with the players.

Eagle123
31-08-2004, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Sir.S.C Remembered
Whipping boys who haven't been whipped yet or even walked over easily 100% agree with you however if we dont get some points on the board and soon the enthusiasm will begin to evaperate which will lead to an occasional lapse in concentration whisch will lead to the inevitable downward spiral of the last time we were in the top flight when towards the end we played the perfect host by not letting our guests leave without they're complimentary 3 goals and 3 points.
You are absolutely right that so far we have (albeit with only one point to show for it) been nobodies mugs and battled and worked hard. These qualities though (admirable as they are) will not be enough and with each passing defeat confidence will begin to drain away. Perry Suckling once said "I'd rather get beat 9 0 than get beat 9 times 1 0" (I'm trying not to be too much of a misery guts but I fear we may get both this season)

Sir.S.C Remembered
31-08-2004, 03:11 PM
Eagle123 I do see your point but I do think that Dowie will be able to keep their heads up for a very long time and have faith that we will make a breakthrough as hard as it is to see in a league full of so much quality. I do sympathise with your feelings as I am sure all fans feel the same way at times recently but lets keep our promises with us about enjoying the season and staying up being a big bonus.

The lads and manager are committed and putting in as much effort as possible and apart from a slight scared approach to attacking and taking on their man they are adapting even if it is taking time. While there is 100% I cannot complain as all we wanted was a team who battled 100% and a team to support at a ground in our area and or ground (which has not been 100% resolved at all I know!)

Now I believe Kev T when he says 2 players will come in and as long as the remainding money is pumped into wiping the debts and other useful functions then I am satisfied as remember how close we were to going bust!

Now I am off out and am going to check up on HOL Wap.

Also even Charlton have been whooped twice this season :)

Eagle123
31-08-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Sir.S.C Remembered
Eagle123 I do see your point but I do think that Dowie will be able to keep their heads up for a very long time and have faith that we will make a breakthrough as hard as it is to see in a league full of so much quality. I do sympathise with your feelings as I am sure all fans feel the same way at times recently but lets keep our promises with us about enjoying the season and staying up being a big bonus.

The lads and manager are committed and putting in as much effort as possible and apart from a slight scared approach to attacking and taking on their man they are adapting even if it is taking time. While there is 100% I cannot complain as all we wanted was a team who battled 100% and a team to support at a ground in our area and or ground (which has not been 100% resolved at all I know!)

Now I believe Kev T when he says 2 players will come in and as long as the remainding money is pumped into wiping the debts and other useful functions then I am satisfied as remember how close we were to going bust!

Now I am off out and am going to check up on HOL Wap.

Also even Charlton have been whooped twice this season :) Points noted and appreciated.
And agreed ID is the man when it comes to motivation and keeping spirits up. The premiership was just a dream back in the summer of 2000 and in 4 short years we have come a long way and yes I do feel gratitude to Simon Jordan for without him (like him or loathe him) we may not even be sitting here discussing our future but more like looking back on our demise so yes your right. All football fans are greedy. You win a cup and you want to do well in europe. Achieve that and you want to win the Prem. Do that and then you want the Champions league trophy and world domination. I'm exagerating I know but my point is I always intended to just be happy to get to the play offs. Then I wanted to get to cardiff and once I arrived in the millenium I started to dream of winning it. All summer I've been looking forward to this season. now we're here I want to survive (badly). I just feel our chances will take a kick in the guts if we get noone in by deadline.I'm sure there are many out there who feel the same

Gerry from Sussex
31-08-2004, 04:37 PM
I'm not so bothered about the lack of last day signings now. The really good targets (e.g. Gravesen) failed some time ago and anyone we get in now would probably be scraping the barrel a bit. Sometimes we get too caught up in the hype and allow ourselves to believe that somehow that slightly suspect Serie A reject whose name we've vaguely heard of is going to be the answer to all our prayers but sadly it rarely works out that way.

We've got a few decent players already - and some of the best of them we brought with us when we got here. One or two of the new ones might turn out to be pretty good as well so it's not all doom and gloom.