31-08-2004, 09:16 PM
Cahill to Everton
Bothroyd to Blackburn
Cisse to Portsmouth

There does seem to be a reluctance to join Palace

Do we not offer enough wages
Are players concerned we will go down
Do they not like Jordan

What is it ? WBA/Portsmouth seem to be doing a better job but Norwich aren't so it must be to do with money

RDSdaEAGLE
31-08-2004, 09:18 PM
Maybe it's because we never actually had a genuine interest in any of those players?

Billyd
31-08-2004, 09:19 PM
we did in all 3 of those players, and as he says we didnt manage to get either of them

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
31-08-2004, 09:19 PM
We've definitely managed to close 8 in the last 3 months - and seems pretty sure we've concluded 10.

limited_edition
31-08-2004, 09:20 PM
Don't worry. Ventola's better than Bothroyd. Hall's better than Cisse and Cahill combined, even if he is playing out of position.

davematt
31-08-2004, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Diamondeagle
Cahill to Everton
Bothroyd to Blackburn
Cisse to Portsmouth

Do they not like Jordan

What is it ? WBA/Portsmouth seem to be doing a better job but Norwich aren't so it must be to do with money

Cahill - Agent fee's, which at the time was fair enough by SJ

Bothroyd - Never been official interest

Cisse - Pompey were willing to buy straight away, whereas we only willing to buy him permanently after a year long loan

A Wooden Fish On Wheels
31-08-2004, 09:21 PM
Leeds were closing a lot of transfer deals no so long ago... ?

pallet
31-08-2004, 09:24 PM
Still believe the whole Palace Cahill saga was generated by Jordan and The bubble to raise his price.

Stockport_Eagle
Neither ID or SJ have been in the position of trying to sign 'top' players before, so it must be a bit of a learning curve for them. Nigel Worthington and Delia also I guess. Megson has a bit of prior experience.

I guess it's a different game trying to sign Boyce from Luton compared to Gonzales from Inter. SJ & ID are used to players such as Boyce, but not 'superstar' KG.

It's not the most attractive move for a top player either, moving to the favourites for relegation in 9 month's time. That said, if you pay the money you get anyone.

Expect better in January if we're still in touch.

Sussex Eagle
Maybe because they all went to bigger clubs - what a shocker, it must all be SJ's fault that players don't want to join the bottom side in the Premiership. 10 signings is pretty good going, and it might be 12 in the morning!

Diamondeagle
Do you really believe the signings we are getting are ID's first choices. I would bet anyone that he would swap Cahill for any of our other signings ( except maybe Hall ). I think it is a fair point to mention that we do seem to struggle to close the players ID really wants. In fact he said it himself.

Gerry from Sussex
31-08-2004, 09:26 PM
Shock horror, newly promoted club with limited funds that rarely stays up for more than a season having difficulty signing top quality players. Would you adam and eve it!

RDSdaEAGLE
31-08-2004, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Billyd
we did in all 3 of those players, and as he says we didnt manage to get either of them

You know that how?

Cahill didn't want to join us, from what I was told/read.
Bothroyd has only been linked by Sky Sports News, no one else.
And in the case of Cisse, there was very little Palace could do once Willie McCay had received contact from Redknapp, as both he and Harry are supposedly very good friends. Palace tried to reach Cissť but his phone was switched off.

Sussex Eagle
31-08-2004, 09:29 PM
Do you really believe the signings we are getting are ID's first choices. I would bet anyone that he would swap Cahill for any of our other signings ( except maybe Hall ). I think it is a fair point to mention that we do seem to struggle to close the players ID really wants. In fact he said it himself.

We have got 10 decent signings with potential (well I'm not totally sure about Boyce but that's semantics). Nobody gets all their first choice - Man U didnt get Ronaldinho, Madrid din't get Vieira, Newcastle didn't get Rooney. Of course we don't get everyone we want - NO-ONE DOES!

Jim Cannon
31-08-2004, 09:29 PM
Cahill to Everton
Bothroyd to Blackburn
Cisse to Portsmouth

Do they not like Jordan

I think it's a combination of factors. We haven't been able to attract big name players because they expect Palace to be relegated. I suspect we are not offering the kind of wages a big name player would expect . It is possible they don't like SJ either, but if you were offered enough money you might still be prepared to work for someone even though you didn't like them.

Diamondeagle
31-08-2004, 09:31 PM
Whilst I am as excited as anyone to be in Premier I guess I am finding the gulf between the rest of the premier and us hard to take. I don't want to be the yo yo team again and had hoped in vain that ID would attract a different sort of player to Palace than we had seen before but all I am seeing is foreign players who can't get in their teams.
I guess at end of day it is just about Money !

limited_edition
Originally posted by RDSdaEAGLE
Cahill didn't want to join us, from what I was told/read.
Palace tried to reach Cissť but his phone was switched off. Well, there you go. Just like Cahill, he didn't want to join us, either.

LLCOOLSTEVE
Originally posted by pallet
Still believe the whole Palace Cahill saga was generated by Jordan and The bubble to raise his price.

:)

lordanton
31-08-2004, 10:21 PM
I reckon all of them were cover for our other signings, to not scupper the deal (except the Cisse deal where Pompey actually nicked him i think.)

Allback - cover for Torghelle
Cahill - general publication and cover of other players
Carrick and Harewood - more media interest than Hall
Bothroyd - cover to prevent details on Sorondo and Ventola deals

Most of our failed attempts have come about just before the signing or discussions with another player.

LeeH
31-08-2004, 10:24 PM
I think we can be pretty happy with the signigs today - loan deals or not, the bjective is to stay up and I hope that they'll enable us to do that

lordanton
31-08-2004, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by LeeH
I think we can be pretty happy with the signigs today - loan deals or not, the bjective is to stay up and I hope that they'll enable us to do that

A voice of sense. Exactly the point of Dowie's 10 signings.

Jim Cannon
31-08-2004, 10:27 PM
I don't think Cahill was being bought as cover.

The Vicar
31-08-2004, 10:39 PM
15 mins to go

lordanton
31-08-2004, 10:40 PM
Erm, i make it 20! :)

The Vicar
31-08-2004, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by lordanton
Erm, i make it 20! :)

Sussex Eagle
31-08-2004, 10:43 PM
Midnight is a bit irrelevant - any further signings have already been agreed if they are to be registered in time I'd have thought.

We'll know what's what by about lunchtime tomorrow.

Twiggy
31-08-2004, 10:44 PM
16 :)

Russboy
31-08-2004, 10:45 PM
So who has definately signed today??

Slimbloke'H'
31-08-2004, 11:39 PM
Cahill to Everton
Bothroyd to Blackburn
Cisse to Portsmouth

Do they not like Jordan

What is it ? WBA/Portsmouth seem to be doing a better job but Norwich aren't so it must be to do with money There is another attempted loan signing you could add to this list who chose another club over us, citing SJ as the reason...

The Vicar
01-09-2004, 12:38 AM
I support our manager, I support our owner, I support our club, I support our players....

but, the one priority before the transfer deadline needed to be acquiring a quality centre mid.

Our club appears to have failed in accomplishing that important bit of business. That's the reality.

The club needs to analyze why we've failed on this front, in order to not make the same mistakes again.

Was it a lack of single-minded focus on this goal?

Was it a poor scouting network?

Was it an unwillingness to spend the funds required?

Was it a disagreement that this was a priority?

Was it our lack of experience in dealing with the reality of life in the Prem?

Was it our rivals trying to deny us what we need to stay up?

Etc.