PDA

View Full Version : Deadline Day Signings


zonin2000
01-09-2004, 08:49 AM
DEADLINE DAY SIGNINGS
Palace had a busy day as the transfer window closed signing three players.

Nicola Ventola and Gonzalo Sorondo have joined on one-year deals from Inter Milan while Wayne Andrews has signed from Colchester on a two-year deal.

More to follow shortly.

http://www.cpfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10323~559033,00.html

Well, it's been announced :sob:.

No midfielders.

That's it.

Come on Palace!

glaziers fan
01-09-2004, 08:55 AM
What happens if Granville or Kolkka or Hughes and Aki get injured? Do we throw the kids in the deep end?

glaziers fan
01-09-2004, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by zonin2000
DEADLINE DAY SIGNINGS
Palace had a busy day as the transfer window closed signing three players.

Nicola Ventola and Gonzalo Sorondo have joined on one-year deals from Inter Milan while Wayne Andrews has signed from Colchester on a two-year deal.

More to follow shortly.

http://www.cpfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10323~559033,00.html

Well, it's been announced :sob:.

No midfielders.

That's it.

Come on Palace!

Only one experienced left back and one (right-footed) left winger at the club:eek: :eek: :veryangry
Only 3 experienced central midfielders at the entire club:eek: :eek: :veryangry

Crate
01-09-2004, 08:58 AM
"More to follow shortly"?

WeeOrangeMonkey
01-09-2004, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Crate
"More to follow shortly"?

When some lazy bloke finishes reading the paper, he'll pad out the article and stick a piccy on the page.

Ruskin Old Boy
01-09-2004, 09:00 AM
Can't see the point of signing Andrews when we're crying out for an attacking midfielder.

Canute
01-09-2004, 09:00 AM
Strange with all these forwards. But I can only wish our beloved club all the best and good luck with the new boys.

johnnytemper
01-09-2004, 09:02 AM
Sadly the desperate scramble for transfers will continue (AAAGH!) - we are still able to sign unattached players...so maybe we can hope that the rumoured £6M (!) marked for Kily Gonzalez can be spent on Manu Petit? (Look I know he's probably not ideal, but we need a midfielder/left sided player, and beggars can't be choosers - know Bolton were in for him but maybe he'd prefer to stay in the capital...?)

Aside from that, good signings (though we are overloaded on defenders and strikers - presume that Dowie plans to use Hall and Kaviedes in midfield)...am looking forward to seeing Ventola particularly - plus if we don't sign any more midfielders, hopefully Ben Watson'll start to live up to his talent...

chelmsfordeagle
01-09-2004, 09:07 AM
I think Sorando is left footed so maybe dowie plans to play him at LB.

glaziers fan
01-09-2004, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by johnnytemper
hopefully Ben Watson'll start to live up to his talent...


The problem is, before Watson is given a chance, we'll play a striker or a central defender in midfield and out of position! It's a joke!

glaziers fan
01-09-2004, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by chelmsfordeagle
I think Sorando is left footed so maybe dowie plans to play him at LB.

Is he? Anyone????

johnnytemper
01-09-2004, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by glaziers fan
Only one experienced left back and one (right-footed) left winger at the club:eek: :eek: :veryangry
Only 3 experienced central midfielders at the entire club:eek: :eek: :veryangry

Appreciate the sentiment, but end of the day we don't know who else Dowie tried for and failed to get - the rumours included Neil Clement and Gonzalez and that would have given us an entirely new left-hand side - so we'd be sitting pretty - have to presume those deals died a death and there was no further time to sort anything out...I'll reserve judgment on Wayne Andrews as he might be able to play left-side or he might be the next Thierry Henry - though as someone said on another thread, that signing, at the last minute, smacks of a Plan D...also, both the Inter players were out of favour and loaned out last season as well, so does seem to suggest we were looking high and low to get as many bodies into the squad as possible...no matter who they are

On a different note - re transfer window - does anyone know the rules re trading with Football League? - think last year clubs couldn't sell players into the Football League after the transfer deadline (thinking here about the Freedman/Millwall rumour and why we rejected approach to loan Shipps out...)

trufan
01-09-2004, 09:15 AM
So is that really it, then?

That "more to follow shortly" line on the official site is a bit mischievious to say the least.

zonin2000
01-09-2004, 09:17 AM
It says we've signed Andrews, but it doesn't say that Williams has signed for Colchester, only that he's "moved to Layer Road."

Perhaps he's just moved house :confused:.

Officer Dibble
01-09-2004, 09:18 AM
Unless there's an out of contract player to come....say, Petit ?

Salisbury
01-09-2004, 09:18 AM
Sadly I think that's it. It is frustrating to know that we apparantly came close to signing Clements and Gonzalez, which only serves to confirm that ID knows we are weak in those areas.

Time to move on. Support the team and enjoy the moment.

chelmsfordeagle
01-09-2004, 09:23 AM
does anyone have a list/link to players still without a club?

Flappy Chicken
01-09-2004, 09:23 AM
Hello people "More to follow shortly" means more news on this story to follow not more players :bash:

mrdance88
01-09-2004, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by glaziers fan
Is he? Anyone????
I hope to God he is!

Flappy Chicken
01-09-2004, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Salisbury
Sadly I think that's it. It is frustrating to know that we apparantly came close to signing Clements and Gonzalez, which only serves to confirm that ID knows we are weak in those areas.

Time to move on. Support the team and enjoy the moment.

How do you know we came close to signing these players?

Salisbury
01-09-2004, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Flappy Chicken
How do you know we came close to signing these players?

I think it was Sandown Eagle on another thread who said that both had been at the training ground yesterday.

andy m
01-09-2004, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by zonin2000
It says we've signed Andrews, but it doesn't say that Williams has signed for Colchester, only that he's "moved to Layer Road."

Perhaps he's just moved house :confused:.

As I understand it we gave them Williams and a fair bit of cash for Andrews.

Celestial Empire
01-09-2004, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by johnnytemper
both the Inter players were out of favour and loaned out last season as well, so does seem to suggest we were looking high and low to get as many bodies into the squad as possible...no matter who they are


Pretty stupid statement. If these two were Inter first picks, they wouldn't be available would they ?
Sorondo is a Uruguay international (a team which has always relied on team spirit and hard tackling), Ventola is a very good quality striker, whose career stalled because of an injury.
It's the job of the Tabs, and the Murdoch group in particular, to pre-digest the footy news for the masses - thus ManU/Rooney : good/exciting (notice that £1.5M paid to Rooney's agent, as a bribe to stop him re-signing at Everton, and push him towards ManU - in a serious sport that would provoke an investigation),
thus Palace/the Inter duo : joke, relegation fodder club/useless reject Italians etc. :eek:

As a Palace fan, you shouldn't feel obliged to give this sort of "news report" any credibility.:rolleyes:

dangerous Nigel
01-09-2004, 09:50 AM
On hols at moment, is there a possibilty that we have signed someone else, a fecking midfielder or am I living in fantasy land, as I cannot believe that we haven't signed a midfielder this must have been a first priority

If we haven't signed someone decent I have got the fecking ballache

trufan
01-09-2004, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Flappy Chicken
Hello people "More to follow shortly" means more news on this story to follow not more players :bash:


Know that for a fact, do you?

WeeOrangeMonkey
01-09-2004, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by trufan
Know that for a fact, do you?

It's pretty obvious. They're just going to come back and 'flesh out' the article.

trufan
01-09-2004, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by trufan
Know that for a fact, do you?


Hmmmph. Appears you were right, FC. They've updated it now with a more detailed "official" story.

And there was me hoping we had something still up our sleeves.

Still, Dowie did say he hoped to raise an eyebrow with his signings. I'm afraid he's managed to raise BOTH mine with this little lot. :rolleyes:

I look forward to being proved wrong.

lordanton
01-09-2004, 09:58 AM
Article updated:

http://www.cpfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10323~557236,00.html

No more signings.

Flappy Chicken
01-09-2004, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by trufan
Know that for a fact, do you?
Yes! It's the language that's used, read the statement again :bash:

Selhurst Celtic
01-09-2004, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by glaziers fan
What happens if Granville or Kolkka or Hughes and Aki get injured? Do we throw the kids in the deep end?

You can't win anything with kids. :D

Trist
01-09-2004, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Celestial Empire
Pretty stupid statement. If these two were Inter first picks, they wouldn't be available would they ?
Sorondo is a Uruguay international (a team which has always relied on team spirit and hard tackling), Ventola is a very good quality striker, whose career stalled because of an injury.
It's the job of the Tabs, and the Murdoch group in particular, to pre-digest the footy news for the masses - thus ManU/Rooney : good/exciting (notice that £1.5M paid to Rooney's agent, as a bribe to stop him re-signing at Everton, and push him towards ManU - in a serious sport that would provoke an investigation),
thus Palace/the Inter duo : joke, relegation fodder club/useless reject Italians etc. :eek:

As a Palace fan, you shouldn't feel obliged to give this sort of "news report" any credibility.:rolleyes:
Well said Celestial! :p

trufan
01-09-2004, 10:14 AM
Do me a favour, Flappy. Quit using the head-banging smiley - you're giving me a headache.

In fact, the term "more to follow shortly" in that context COULD possibly have referred to news of more signings.

As I mentioned earlier, I was hoping against hope that we had signed someone else and had yet to announce it. It would appear now that isn't the case which, in my opinion, leaves us short in vital areas.

Hope that's clear. Now, where did I put those Anadin?

Ruskin Old Boy
01-09-2004, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Selhurst Celtic
You can't win anything with kids. :D

The old one's are the best :p:D:o

Riccardo
01-09-2004, 10:20 AM
Aki, Hughesy, Watson, Derry....can't think of any other central midfielders.

Would have liked us to get one really.

Ralph
01-09-2004, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Riccardo
Aki, Hughesy, Watson, Derry....can't think of any other central midfielders.

Would have liked us to get one really.

Hall, Kaviedis???

What happened to Angel Fernandez then??

glaziers fan
01-09-2004, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Riccardo
Aki, Hughesy, Watson, Derry....can't think of any other central midfielders.

Would have liked us to get one really.

Why's everyone banging on about central midfield?! Hughesie was outstanding last year + Aki has been terrific so far. Plus we have cover in the shape of Derry, Hall, Leigertwood, Butterfield, Watson, Soares, Kaviedes.

At left-back we only have Borrowdale and at left wing we only have Tommy Black?!

Daddy Long
01-09-2004, 10:31 AM
Well Glaziers, we have Tyrone Berry and Nathan Simpson at left wing and we have Gary Borrowdale at left back. So we do have cover. Not experienced cover, but cover nonetheless. Derry can play the odd game on the left wing if needed, as can Black. Leigertwood can slot in at left back aswell. We have cover. What we don't have is someone who can unlock a Premiership defense in the middle of the park, unless Kaviedes steps up.

Daddy Long
01-09-2004, 10:35 AM
Forgot to add, Dowie has gone on record saying that he likes versatile players. I think this is reflected in his transfer policy. It may look to some that he does not have adequate cover for certain positions, but ID may well be happy that he has atleast 2 players that can do a job in every position. Don't need any more than that.

Trist
01-09-2004, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by glaziers fan
Why's everyone banging on about central midfield?! Hughesie was outstanding last year + Aki has been terrific so far. Plus we have cover in the shape of Derry, Hall, Leigertwood, Butterfield, Watson, Soares, Kaviedes.

At left-back we only have Borrowdale and at left wing we only have Tommy Black?!

… I thought you we're "banging" on about central midfield… ;)

Originally posted by glaziers fan
Only one experienced left back and one (right-footed) left winger at the club:eek: :eek: :veryangry
Only 3 experienced central midfielders at the entire club:eek: :eek: :veryangry

I agree it's a little worrying that in places the side is a little thin on the ground, on the other hand we've managed to bring in an awful lot of players for not too much money. I'm v.happy with the signings. There's nothing that we can do about it now until January so lets just get on with it and keep our fingers crossed that the new guys can settle quickly.

glaziers fan
01-09-2004, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Daddy Long
Well Glaziers, we have Tyrone Berry and Nathan Simpson at left wing and we have Gary Borrowdale at left back. So we do have cover. Not experienced cover, but cover nonetheless. Derry can play the odd game on the left wing if needed, as can Black. Leigertwood can slot in at left back aswell. We have cover. What we don't have is someone who can unlock a Premiership defense in the middle of the park, unless Kaviedes steps up.

Simpson is an attacking left-back being played out of position because we have no left wingers. Berry is right-footed and NOT a left-winger. In any case, along with Borrowdale they are all inexperienced and not what I'd call cover for a Premiership team.

Watson can unlock defences! But again he's inexperienced. Then there's the Doug who could do it. But in a -4-2 there's no room for a creative player who can't tackle/ track back as well, which is probably why Dowie plays 2 defensive central midfielders and will continue to do so.

Trist
01-09-2004, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Daddy Long
We have cover. What we don't have is someone who can unlock a Premiership defense in the middle of the park, unless Kaviedes steps up.
I agree that this is the one position that I really felt we needed to strengthen in. I was hoping that we might bring in Jan Kristiansen but I recon you right, I think Kaviedes will be used as our creativity in the middle.

brighton_eagle
01-09-2004, 10:54 AM
Hughes can play wide left, if need be.

I was under the impression Ventola could play on the left too. Perhaps that's the plan?

chav_hater
01-09-2004, 10:57 AM
What we have to do as fans is to give Kavides a chance as the style of play in the Premiership is very different to any other league in the world, which is why South American players tend to struggle for a while and often move over to Italy. Give him a month and he will keep us up.

Trist
01-09-2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by chav_hater
What we have to do as fans is to give Kavides a chance as the style of play in the Premiership is very different to any other league in the world, which is why South American players tend to struggle for a while and often move over to Italy. Give him a month and he will keep us up.
If he guarantee survival by next month I will be VERY impressed!!! ;)

.. I totally agree though, we need to give him and the other new guys plenty of time to settle. The won't be able to step in and perform straight away, we need to give them encouragement and support (home and away) to help them.

Micky Spilane
01-09-2004, 11:16 AM
11 new players, not that bad considering we had to play catch up after finishing the season later than all the others, as for a creative midfielder, I wouldn't mind betting many of the other club's fans forums have been banging on about the same thing, they don't exactly grow on trees! After these new players have all bedded in then it will be time to take stock and see how we are. Personally when fit I think Torghelle will be a big player for us this season with Kaviedes playing in behind AJ and Torghelle, we may possibly then go for three centre backs i.e. 5-3-1-2, Speroni, Boyce, Hudson, Hall, Popovic, Granville, Routledge, Aki, Hughes, Kaviedes, Torghelle and AJ or something along those lines.

Levski
01-09-2004, 11:38 AM
It will be nice it the FA lets us field 12 players, but I doubt it.

Gerry from Sussex
01-09-2004, 11:54 AM
Shame we can't play 'special teams' - we could bring on a whole offensive unit with that lot

jazman
01-09-2004, 12:05 PM
Could be worse - we could have got 8 strikers on the books in the shape of Bothroyd who chose Blackburn instead.

A lot of negative comments towards ID I notice. True, we look a little light in midfield but ID must have his own ideas. The new signings will take some time to adjust although it will be interesting to see the line up against Pompey next week.

Let's see what happens and for god sake enjoy!

The Vicar
01-09-2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Daddy Long
Forgot to add, Dowie has gone on record saying that he likes versatile players.

We should have bought Hayden back, then :p

The Vicar
01-09-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Micky Spilane
Speroni, Boyce, Hudson, Hall, Popovic, Granville, Routledge, Aki, Hughes, Kaviedes, Torghelle and AJ or something along those lines.

That's 12, and that's the problem.

Gerry from Sussex
01-09-2004, 12:09 PM
then again....

ANDYEAGLE
01-09-2004, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Trist
I agree that this is the one position that I really felt we needed to strengthen in. I was hoping that we might bring in Jan Kristiansen but I recon you right, I think Kaviedes will be used as our creativity in the middle.

Yes Kaviedes could well be given a chance in this position. It will be interesting to see the reserve game against Charlton next Tuesday to see what role Kaviedes is given. Both the Milan boys could also turn out for this one. Free entry competitive game not like those boring friendlies I will be there.

chelmsfordeagle
02-09-2004, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by glaziers fan
Is he? Anyone????

can now confirm that sorando is left footed.