PDA

View Full Version : Shipps To Bristol City ?

joe walker
01-09-2004, 05:55 PM
http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=223315&cpid=11&CLID=31&lid=&title=Robins+eyeing+striker+move

Robins eyeing striker move

Bristol City have decided to concentrate their efforts on finding a new striker after failing with a bid for Blackpool midfielder Richie Wellens.

The Ashton Gate club tabled a bid of 50,000 to The Seasiders for skipper Wellens (pictured), who had his fourth transfer request within a space of a year accepted by the Bloomfield Road club recently.

However, player-manager Brian Tinnion and chairman Steve Lansdown have now decided to turn their attentions to finding a new marksman - with Wigan Athletic's Neil Roberts, CRYSTAL PALACE'S NEIL SHIPPERLEY and Port Vale's Steve Brooker all being mooted as possible targets.

Lansdown revealed that a bid has been made for an unnamed striker, as the club look to shape a squad capable of clinching promotion this season.

"I have had discussions with Brian (Tinnion) and we have decided that the most important acquisition we can make is to add strength up front," Lansdown told the Bristol Evening Post.

"We want someone who can not only cause problems in our opponents' half, but is also able to help defend set pieces - a bit like Steve Torpey here a few years back.

"The bid for the player in question went in last week and hopefully, it will come to fruition sooner rather than later.

"We have made an enquiry about Wellens, but Brian and I agreed that if we can only do one deal out of the two spoken about, then the striker is the one we'd make the priority.

"As it stands, there is some distance between what we are prepared to offer for Wellens and Blackpool's valuation of him."

THIS IS FROM A USUALLY RELIABLE SKYSPORTS.COM

IS THIS GOOD NEWS OR BAD?

Sussex Eagle
01-09-2004, 06:19 PM
Good new for Neil as he is 4th choice for The 'big man' role up front in my estimations, and no football for a year and a free transfer is not what he deserves. If true, good luck to Shipps.

mainstandeagle
01-09-2004, 06:21 PM
According to someone on the HOL, we need to ship out 4 players to accomodate a midfielder on a free transfer. Shipps and Doug would be included in this.

Justy C
01-09-2004, 06:28 PM
Don't underestimate Dowies appreciation of Shipperley, not just on the pitch but behind the scenes in the dressing room and training ground as well. Dowie kept him as captain, I'd be surprised if he would let him go easily.

And anyway, having worked his nuts off to get back to the Premier League, would Shipperley want to give that up to go and play division 2/league 1/whatever it is now football? Doubt it.

I can see Shipperley being with us for this season.

joe walker
01-09-2004, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by mainstandeagle
According to someone on the HOL, we need to ship out 4 players to accomodate a midfielder on a free transfer. Shipps and Doug would be included in this.

Agreed we need to get rid of them while they're still worth a handful of tenners. as i said in another thread if we go down Kaviedes would probably go, and maybe torghelle if he wants top flight football, and with ventola only on loan that leaves AJ and Andrews. Great.

I say, wait until next season, and if we're still a premier league side then sell them to Palace Rejects FC (aka Brentford);)

Bunsen Honeydew
01-09-2004, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Justy C
Don't underestimate Dowies appreciation of Shipperley, not just on the pitch but behind the scenes in the dressing room and training ground as well. Dowie kept him as captain, I'd be surprised if he would let him go easily.

And anyway, having worked his nuts off to get back to the Premier League, would Shipperley want to give that up to go and play division 2/league 1/whatever it is now football? Doubt it.

I can see Shipperley being with us for this season.

I wanted to reply to this thread but couldn't quite find the words! Thankyou Justy C, that's exactly what I wanted to say :)

Diamondeagle
01-09-2004, 07:28 PM
No room for sentiment in Premier league

Lets ship out Shipperly, Dougie, Tommy Black and many others in our old 1st division squad and build for the future in premier. So they got us there but they were just doing their job they got paid for (and a lot of money at that). If they are not good enough they are not good enough.

I would swap all three for a decent midfielder any day

zonin2000
01-09-2004, 07:29 PM
No disrespect to Justy C, at all, but, was it really that hard? ;)

Basingstoke Eagle
01-09-2004, 07:29 PM
If Shipps was to go out on loan though i think it would be a good move.

Ben H
01-09-2004, 07:33 PM
I thought City were after Matt Jansen.

ANDYEAGLE
01-09-2004, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by mainstandeagle

This really does not make sense.It is possible we are trying for a free transfer miidfield player but why should we have to ship 4 players out to get him including 2 strikers you mention. We apparantly have funds available for transfers anyway. I am sure we have some players earmarked for transfers but how this guy on HOL can name them is to say the least is strange.

APV Paul
01-09-2004, 07:53 PM
It'd be sad to see Shipps go, as he has worked so hard for the Palace and scored the goal that got us promoted but I dont think he has much of a future while we are in the premiership, so maybe a loan wouldn't be a bad idea

Shipp Ahoy!
01-09-2004, 08:05 PM
I doubt he would go, certainly not on the wages they could afford to offer.

dorkinglad
01-09-2004, 08:06 PM
Hmmm! I'd have thought that Shipps would stay. He's the club captain and still a decent player. He's also played around 150 Premier League games. There is no one else in the squad with his sort of experience. I'll not be surprised to see him a first team regular once he is fit.

I'd also say add that his so-called replacements are unproven in English football and unlikely to remain for long if, as expected we get relegated.

Diamondeagle
01-09-2004, 09:00 PM
150 Premier games ??? Who for ?

Mong!
01-09-2004, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by ANDYEAGLE
This really does not make sense.It is possible we are trying for a free transfer miidfield player but why should we have to ship 4 players out to get him including 2 strikers you mention. We apparantly have funds available for transfers anyway. I am sure we have some players earmarked for transfers but how this guy on HOL can name them is to say the least is strange.

Wages i imagine.

bigend1
01-09-2004, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by ANDYEAGLE

If this is true i would sugest is more to free up the wage bill abit. I dont think transfer fees are an issue as SJ has given dowie the money to spend and he hasnt been able to. Sounds to me like a big name free transfer for the midfield that would take such a whack out of the wage bill, and the only one i can think of is petit. So maybe u never know.

Given how our squad is at the moment i would be (apart from the centiment but we cant afford that at the mo) quite happy to swap freedman, shipps,powell, and tommy blacks place on the wage bill to sign petit or another decent midfielder. Not nice i know but is the situation the club is in!

trub3101
01-09-2004, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Diamondeagle
No room for sentiment in Premier league

Lets ship out Shipperly, Dougie, Tommy Black and many others in our old 1st division squad and build for the future in premier. So they got us there but they were just doing their job they got paid for (and a lot of money at that). If they are not good enough they are not good enough.

I would swap all three for a decent midfielder any day

Voice of reason, Diamondeagle! I find it very hard to disagree with this!!

arussell
01-09-2004, 11:24 PM
To say this is highly unlikely would be an understatement.

chelmsfordeagle
02-09-2004, 04:07 AM
Originally posted by joe walker
Agreed we need to get rid of them while they're still worth a handful of tenners. as i said in another thread if we go down Kaviedes would probably go, and maybe torghelle if he wants top flight football, and with ventola only on loan that leaves AJ and Andrews. Great.

I say, wait until next season, and if we're still a premier league side then sell them to Palace Rejects FC (aka Brentford);)

If we go down I'd expect AJ to be the first to leave.

the fact is that after relegation or promotion you have to radically change your squad.

jordanismygod
02-09-2004, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by chelmsfordeagle
If we go down I'd expect AJ to be the first to leave.

Couldn't disagree more. He would be the first to say he wanted to stay!

zonin2000
02-09-2004, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by Diamondeagle
150 Premier games ??? Who for ?

From cpfc.co.uk

Neil Shipperley

Career History:

Club Season Comp. Apps (as sub) Goals

Milton Keynes Dons 2002 - 03
League 46 (0) 20
FA Cup 2 (0) 1
League Cup 3 (0) 3

Milton Keynes Dons 2001 - 02
League 36 (5) 12
FA Cup 2 (0) 0
League Cup 1 (0) 0

Barnsley 2000 - 01
League 38 (1) 14
FA Cup 1 (0) 0
League Cup 2 (0) 2

Barnsley 1999 - 00
League 35 (7) 14
FA Cup 1 (0) 0
League Cup 2 (1) 1

Crystal Palace 1998 - 99
League 3 (0) 1
League Cup 1 (0) 0

Nottm Forest 1998 - 99
League 12 (8) 1
FA Cup 1 (0) 0

Crystal Palace 1997 - 98
League 17 (8) 7
League Cup 2 (0) 0

Southampton 1996 - 97
League 9 (1) 1
League Cup 1 (0) 0

Crystal Palace 1996 - 97
League 32 (3) 13
FA Cup 2 (0) 0

Southampton 1995 - 96
League 37 (0) 7
FA Cup 6 (0) 3
League Cup 4 (0) 2

Chelsea 1994 - 95
League 6 (4) 2

Watford 1994 - 95
League 6 (0) 1

Southampton 1994 - 95
League 19 (0) 4
FA Cup 0 (0) 2

Chelsea 1993 - 94
League 18 (6) 4
FA Cup 0 (0) 1

Chelsea 1992 - 93
League 2 (1)

I make that 120 starts and 28 substitute appearances, a total of 148. Whoever said 150 has got some serious apologising to do :hmph:.

Luke Harwood
02-09-2004, 07:59 AM
I was about to say that ChelmsfordEagle. Chances are we'll go down and AJ & Ventola will leave. IF that happens, I'd want to have Shipps and Dougie not Andrews and some other second division nonce. No point selling him - cost of selling him is greater than the measly 400-500k we'd get for him.

chelmsfordeagle
02-09-2004, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by jordanismygod
Couldn't disagree more. He would be the first to say he wanted to stay!

I'm not saying he'd put in a transfer request but that i think he'd be the one player we currently have that clubs the size of villa or spurs may want to buy and that the money offered would be too good to turn down.

nottsunieagle
02-09-2004, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by chelmsfordeagle
I'm not saying he'd put in a transfer request but that i think he'd be the one player we currently have that clubs the size of villa or spurs may want to buy and that the money offered would be too good to turn down.

if it is true that he has definately signed a new five year deal, he'd only go if silly money was offered. if he gets 15 goals this season and we go down, i think sj would take 6mil for him.

Clapham Grand
02-09-2004, 08:59 AM
Don't think he would agree to drop 2 divisions

LP
02-09-2004, 10:07 AM
If he does leave he can do better than a League 1 club, Sheffield Utd are in the market for a new striker now that Hayles has left?

Tbh I don't think we should be in any hurry to sell him, if we go down then he'll be useful to us next season and he could still do a job for us this season.

maestro
02-09-2004, 10:17 AM
Everyone was slating him last season and know we dont want to let him go because he'll be usefull in div1?

Personally id sell him, he's just not good enough for the prem and if we went down and wanted to get automatic promotion straight away i think we need better than shipps

Oxford Eagle
02-09-2004, 10:19 AM
According to the Beeb, if he starts a match, it will be his 150th premiership game.

zonin2000
02-09-2004, 10:24 AM
An outrageous oversight on their part.

markholmes1991
02-09-2004, 10:26 AM
realistically shipps will struggle to command a place in the team, but if he is prepared to stay & fight for his place..... keep him! By all accounts he is very good for team morale, & his passion for playing for CPFC cannot be questioned.

Bobby Robson once said (whilst in charge of England) that for a major tournament, he would often pick players that realistically knew they wouldn't play, but would be very good for the morale of the others.

LP
02-09-2004, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by maestro
Everyone was slating him last season and know we dont want to let him go because he'll be usefull in div1?

Personally id sell him, he's just not good enough for the prem and if we went down and wanted to get automatic promotion straight away i think we need better than shipps

I wasn't slating him. Ok early in the season he was clearly unfit, but he then went on to make an invaluable contribution under Dowie. You can critisise his lack of goals, but he played an invaluable part in AJ's form last season.

johnnytemper
02-09-2004, 10:59 AM
Shipps isn't going to make the team this year - he knows it, Dowie knows it, we all know it (judging by the way we were all discussing his replacement from evening 29th May to present, despite just sending us up!)...especially now we have international quality players ahead of him. He hasn't the pace, the strength or the height for the role we need him to play - and missing pre-season won't have helped him...if getting him off the wage bill, along with Powell and maybe Black, will allow us to sign Petit, then I'm all for it. Essentially:-

Shipps in Premiership - evidence suggests he won't cut it

Shipps in Championship - good, BUT easily replaceable

[equally, Freedman is one we should hold onto, if only because he is a cut above the rest in Div1 and since Kaveides, Ventola and pos AJ ain't gonna be around in event of relegation, he will be needed - his leaving depends on how happy he might be to sit it out...or if Scumwall reach the league section of the UEFA cup]

Big Fella
02-09-2004, 11:12 AM
Is this the same Shipps who is still injured and won't be going anywhere for the forseeable future?

LP
02-09-2004, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by johnnytemper
Shipps isn't going to make the team this year - he knows it, Dowie knows it, we all know it (judging by the way we were all discussing his replacement from evening 29th May to present, despite just sending us up!)...especially now we have international quality players ahead of him. He hasn't the pace, the strength or the height for the role we need him to play - and missing pre-season won't have helped him...if getting him off the wage bill, along with Powell and maybe Black, will allow us to sign Petit, then I'm all for it. Essentially:-

Shipps in Premiership - evidence suggests he won't cut it

Shipps in Championship - good, BUT easily replaceable

[equally, Freedman is one we should hold onto, if only because he is a cut above the rest in Div1 and since Kaveides, Ventola and pos AJ ain't gonna be around in event of relegation, he will be needed - his leaving depends on how happy he might be to sit it out...or if Scumwall reach the league section of the UEFA cup]

Spot on :p

arussell
02-09-2004, 11:50 AM
He wants to stay, and to be honest, I don't think Dowie is looking to get rid of him - although he certainly won't be automatic choice.

Freedman is the more likely departure if any.

heinz 57
02-09-2004, 11:52 AM
I don't really understand why everyone says he can't make it in the premier - he has close to 150 appearances and scored (I think) 54 goals, a 1 in 3 strike rate isn't bad. he was also half of the best partnerships in division one for the last two seasons.

I agree that he's down the pecking order now, but people seem to be judging him on his form under Kember!

jazman
02-09-2004, 11:56 AM
Agree Shipps will probably be one of three to go what with the new signings - but surely he deserves better than the Panda Fizzy Pop League 2. If he goes it will be a sad day but good luck if that day comes Shipps. I fear for Dougie's Palace future also. That midfielder on a free needs to be funded somehow. Who's betting on Petit?

GloverUK
02-09-2004, 12:00 PM
Good luck to him

hernehilleagle
02-09-2004, 03:13 PM
Would be a good move for Shipps, but i would be sad to see him go

Sussex Eagle
02-09-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by arussell
He wants to stay, and to be honest, I don't think Dowie is looking to get rid of him - although he certainly won't be automatic choice.

Freedman is the more likely departure if any.

That just doesn't make sense though - Dowie has made it clear he wants to have two options for each 'place' in the team. We like to play a big powerful striker with a smaller, fast goalscorer. For the first option we have Torghelle & Ventola, and for the second AJ & Dougie. Kaviedes is going to be used in midfield, and Andrews looks like the all-round backup choice at the mo. Where does Shipperley fit in? he has 2 or 3 strikers ahead of him in his role, whereas Dougie has 1 or possibly 2.

Phil O'Sophical
02-09-2004, 06:18 PM
More rumours about Shipps joining Colin

Neil To Steer Blades Ship Into Premiership

Story by Paul Holland 2 September 2004

Now Barry Hayles has joined UEFA Cup outfit Millwall the Blades are forced to look for a new frontman. It is rumoured that United are chasing the signature of former Crystal Palace, Southampton, Chelsea, Forest, Wimbledon and Barnsley striker Neil Shipperley.

Neil Shipperley, Blades new striker?

Neil Shipperley, who scored the winner against West Ham United earlier this year in the Play-Off final to reach the Premiership has been shoved out of the Eagles Eleven after manager Ian Dowie was forced to strengthen his squad.

Less than a few weeks ago Neil contacted Ronnie Moore at Rotherham United requesting a move to Millmoor, but the South Yorkshire club stated that his wages were too high.

Now that Barry Hayles has left for London it looks as though Shipperley is to be offered a place at Bramall Lane either on loan or with a permanent place. Also, don't forget that Neil played with Ashley Ward and Chris Morgan during their rein at Barnsley.

borris_531
02-09-2004, 07:07 PM
why does it say FORMER crystal palace striker

Farawayeagle
02-09-2004, 10:28 PM
He played for Palace this week against an Arsenal team including Bergkamp and Flamini. Result Palace 3 Arsenal 0. Shipps also scored!!! According to report on HOL.

Kirby
03-09-2004, 12:27 AM
Shippers, is a goal machine! :lux:

daz_eagle
03-09-2004, 12:31 AM
keep the shipp.

Shipp Ahoy!
03-09-2004, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by borris_531
why does it say FORMER crystal palace striker

Maybe because he used to play for us before returning and they were lazy in proof reading the article having typed it up with his history in front of them.

Dave
07-09-2004, 12:15 PM
Now linked with Blades
http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=224243&cpid=8&CLID=31&lid=&title=Striker+in+dark+over+Blades+talk

Flappy Chicken
07-09-2004, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Kirby
Shippers, is a goal machine! :lux:

:clown: :o

c_block_lad
07-09-2004, 12:23 PM
Warnock has stated that he is not after Matt Jansen, but is the market for another striker.

martin.cpfc
07-09-2004, 12:28 PM
http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=224243&cpid=8&CLID=31&lid=&title=Striker+in+dark+over+Blades+talk

"Crystal Palace striker Neil Shipperley has revealed he is unaware of any interest in him from Sheffield United as he handles his own transfer affairs."

Benzhiyi
07-09-2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by johnnytemper
Shipps isn't going to make the team this year - he knows it, Dowie knows it, we all know it (judging by the way we were all discussing his replacement from evening 29th May to present, despite just sending us up!)...especially now we have international quality players ahead of him. He hasn't the pace, the strength or the height for the role we need him to play

I disagree with all of that.

Against Everton and Boro we were crying out for Shipps in the last 20 - Stubbs and Southgate were dominating and we needed someone on the pitch to challenge and rough them up a bit, which is what Shipps does best.

I still think he has a role to play and I'd wager Dowie does too.

smileysmith
07-09-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Benzhiyi

Against Everton and Boro we were crying out for Shipps in the last 20 - Stubbs and Southgate were dominating and we needed someone on the pitch to challenge and rough them up a bit, which is what Shipps does best.

I with you Ben. Am looking forward to him coming back from injury :)

CPFC Town
07-09-2004, 12:44 PM
we DO need ships! We need a target man that will hold the ball for us! Ok he may not score often but wudnt bet against him setting up aj and toghelle a few times!! Bring back shipperly cant wait for him to return!

Beanie
07-09-2004, 12:46 PM

Torghelle would have done that as well if not better, but I believe that Shipps will be a vital squad player - we needed one of them out there for sure.

gatwickeagle
07-09-2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Justy C
Don't underestimate Dowies appreciation of Shipperley, not just on the pitch but behind the scenes in the dressing room and training ground as well.

how long have you known dowie?

Benzhiyi
07-09-2004, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Beanie
Torghelle would have done that as well if not better, but I believe that Shipps will be a vital squad player - we needed one of them out there for sure.

Well that's it - I think Dowie has gone for three particular types of player as striking options, with a back-up for each first choice. Something like this:

Target man: Torghelle (Shipperley)
Speedy : Johnson (Andrews)
Skilful playmaker: Kaviedes (Ventola)

I doubt, for example, we'll see Johnson and Andrews playing together, or Shipps and Torghelle, but I'd imagine you'll see a mix and match between the above throughout the season, depending on our opponents.

Alas, a certain number 9 looks to be on his way out...

Brixton Boy
07-09-2004, 12:50 PM

He's pretty good at roughing up keepers as well