PDA

View Full Version : The Transfer Window

selhurstparkflyer
01-09-2004, 06:47 PM
Is an absolute disgrace, in my opinion.

It is there to proptect the big and rich clubs from free and fair competition and any other industry would be up in the High Court.

Why on earth should CPFC not be able to fully compensate a willing club for the services of their player after the 31st August?

Can anybody shed any light as to its benefits?

redandblue
01-09-2004, 06:55 PM
um i could if say AJ started banging them in an dit stops say Bolton buying him to sit on the bench, i thinkit is a good idea and if anything protects small clubs just as much

joe walker
01-09-2004, 06:58 PM
the only immediate benefit is that when a player from the lower leagues impresses, his club have a 5-6month safeguard from top sides wanting to snatch him up.

A brilliant example is Huddersfield Town.

3-4years ago Huddersfield were up near the top of division 1 with markus stewart scoring for fun. Stewart was soon snatched up by Ipswich Town. Huddersfield were relegated. Manager :o Steve Bruce:o walked out(see, we're not the only ones hes done it to).

Last season, Huddersfield were top of division 3 with jon stead scoring for fun. A few premiership teams expressed their interest. You can see where i'm going, BUT WAIT! There's a little thing called the transfer window that kept him there for longer than top clubs wanted. Even though he did leave for Blackburn, Stead stayed long enough to leave a lasting impact long after he left. Huddersfield were promoted.

krupa
01-09-2004, 07:07 PM
Nicely put mate...!

daz_eagle
01-09-2004, 07:12 PM
the counter-argument is that the window stops smaller clubs, some of which survive by bringing on players and selling them off to bigger clubs, from being able to make their money - and whilst they wait for the window to re-open, their financial situation worsens.

paulhgc2002
01-09-2004, 07:31 PM
the whole sytem stinks

ITS TIME FOR

1: instant replays at matches to rule offside ect ect

2: The 3rd eye

3: referees with microphones like in rugby

4: A players wage cap

5: A transfer cap of 5million maximum

MasterYoda
01-09-2004, 08:37 PM
let's just do an american style draft each season and all pick new squads!!!

(joke)

hughff
01-09-2004, 09:00 PM
Agree with 1-3 paul... 4 and 5 are impossible because of restraint of trade.

Shipp Ahoy!
01-09-2004, 09:04 PM
Personally I think it should come into effect a little later on say the end of September. But I do agree with it!

chelmsfordeagle
02-09-2004, 04:36 AM
I like the transfer window.

as to having a wages cap you could get around the restraint of trade by capping the amount a club has to spend on wages, as they do with basketball in the US. For this to work there would probably need to be an agreement between Engalnd, spain and Italy.

selhurstparkflyer
02-09-2004, 06:02 AM
Wage caps are pretty much illegal and easily got round anyway (eg via sponsorship deals).

In rugby union they have a maximum amount that clubs can spend on wagesbut that is much more easily enforced by Europe's (by far) most powerful league.

OK, I see the benefit to Huddersfield but that seems to me like the club is being put ahead of the player. I know many like that but I am not sure I do. And also for every example like that, there is club at the bottom of the league with injuries (or crap players) unable to cover themselves, the club in need of cash unable to raise dough and the player kept at a club at which he no longer wants to be.

Grim Reaper
02-09-2004, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by MasterYoda
let's just do an american style draft each season and all pick new squads!!!

(joke)

I know you joke but I've often thought about how the US system means every team has a period of being one of the best every 5/6 or so (apart from my team the NY Jets who are just permamnently crap!) Great system BUT the reason it wouldn't work in England is that the whole educational system would have to change - the US system is linked with the colleges who provide football scholarships and effectively an 'u21 league'.

sydnsteve
02-09-2004, 09:18 AM
I don't think many palace fans thopught the transfer window a bad idea when we were in div 1 an AJ started banging them in! It brings a lot more benefits than disadvantages to the smaller clubs, and they need all the protection they can get in this day and age.

Geezer
02-09-2004, 09:23 AM
It made the other night bit more interesting than normal though, didn't it?

lordanton
02-09-2004, 09:34 AM
It Also stops a whole year of speculation and allows 6 moneths planning on your next transfer move.

selhurstparkflyer
02-09-2004, 04:19 PM
The speculation still continues; players effectively agree to sign months inside the allowed slot anyway.

As for Andy Johnson, if clubs really were inettested in him, then he would have gone in the summer anyway (his best scoring record started just before the March transfer window anyway).

Regards the Huddersfiled point; Bruce walked out becasue the chairman sold Marcus Stewart without consulting him. I don't really see that the rules should protect against cr@p chairmen.

My own feeling is that, far from protecting the smaller clubs, it is there to protect the big ones with big squads and its going to hurt us badly this year.

andy m
02-09-2004, 04:25 PM
Quite who its there for and who it isn't is one issue. The other is that it is surely illegal. I cannot see how we can be prevented from employing any eu citizen to play football for us at any time, assuming that he and his current employed come to a mutually satisfactory agreement to terminate his current contract. I reckon it isn't going to be too much longer until its challenged in Court by a club in desperate need of cover due to injuries sustained outside the windows.

James
02-09-2004, 04:28 PM
Thank God for the Transfer window.

It puts to an end the tedious (and largely pointless) discussion about who we are going to sign next. Some of the suggestions posted in this Forum over the last few weeks have been ridiculous.

I supposed it will all start again around Christmas.

Panther
02-09-2004, 05:34 PM
I doubt the peace will last that long, James; perhaps we could encourage it by renaming this section the Transfer Lukewarm Line?

Chickereagle
02-09-2004, 07:17 PM
I think one of the perceived benefits is that the window stops richer clubs from buying themselves out of trouble during the season (other than in January) should they be headed for the drop. It's supposed to be a leveller. Allegedly.