PDA

View Full Version : Youri Djorkaeff

Eagle123
04-09-2004, 12:03 PM
Just seen that he has contracted his agent to find him a club in the Premiership. He is available on a free transfer and though his best years are behind him at 34 he could do a job for us for a year while giving some of our younger players some advise and the benefit of his experience (with Routeledge it would be about not over playing the ball and learning to release it earlier sometimes). He failed to agree a new deal at Bolton which could be about the lenght of his contract offer or it could be about money (or both) but I feel if hes realistic about his wage demands theres no reason why we could'nt compramise on the lenght of deal (hes made it clear he wants 2 years) as we came to an agreement with Micheal Hughes that he would get another year if he made a certain amount of appearances.

Geezer
04-09-2004, 12:20 PM
I think he would make an excellent coach, very intelligent player, looks like he want's another couple of years though.

maestro
04-09-2004, 12:32 PM
good player, would be a good signing imo

m355y
04-09-2004, 12:48 PM
He's 36 I think, not 34.

Class player though. Attacking midfielder isn't he?

gooch1977
04-09-2004, 01:09 PM
would very usefull to have about the place

Jim Cannon
04-09-2004, 01:11 PM
He gets my vote. Sign him up on a deal like Hughes.

suits_you
04-09-2004, 01:19 PM
good player but i dont think we really need another striker.
now if jay jay became available we shud consider.

ANDYEAGLE
04-09-2004, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by m355y
He's 36 I think, not 34.

Class player though. Attacking midfielder isn't he?

Yes he is 36, more forward than attacking midfield. If he wants a two year contract no chance with us at 36. Very good player but it does seem that it is against our policy to sign these older players. Would like him and Petit for one year though.( just two class oldies please).

henryhallandhisbasque
04-09-2004, 01:31 PM
I think he's 39, not 36.

ANDYEAGLE
04-09-2004, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by henryhallandhisbasque
I think he's 39, not 36.

39 Henry I think you are thinking of the length of Petits poney tail in inches. I know you love him. Have you seen his wife?

Tor
04-09-2004, 01:42 PM
Come on, he turns 37 before this season is over. Leave him alone.

Jasper
04-09-2004, 02:37 PM
He's a class player, probably got one more seasonleft in him, If he helps keep us up then im all for that. Hope we get involved.

DANCOO
04-09-2004, 02:54 PM
I think he's 39, not 36.

Actually, I think you'll find he's 47.

Sires
04-09-2004, 04:07 PM
Either way leave I think he will not help I would prefer to see Petit because Youri has been dropping to a worse and worse team each year which shows if he goes to Palace the pattern continues and think even he does not want that. It would unofficially be another Inter player.

that old beetle
04-09-2004, 04:27 PM
:bash: Yea his great and his french so thats good cos they are great [wait for it!!!!!!!!]

Eagle123
04-09-2004, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by m355y
He's 36 I think, not 34.

Class player though. Attacking midfielder isn't he? Skysports.net report and quote him as saying "I am 34 and keep myself very fit. I think I still have plenty to offer for 2 more years"

AJ8
04-09-2004, 04:36 PM
still think we should have gone in for Roger Milla...

Eagle123
04-09-2004, 04:39 PM
Sky also describe him as a creative central midfield player who can play on the right wing. This sounds about right as those are the two positions he played for Bolton.

matayusgiovanni
04-09-2004, 04:40 PM
Nat Lofthouse is available on a free i heard

DANCOO
04-09-2004, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by AJ8

King o' the road

Tor
04-09-2004, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Eagle123
Skysports.net report and quote him as saying "I am 34 and keep myself very fit. I think I still have plenty to offer for 2 more years"

He's not just old then, but a liar as well. If he has a look at his drivers licence he'll notice he is born in March 1968. :)

DocSavage
04-09-2004, 09:05 PM
yes perhaps but you can buy them licences down the black horse for a tenner
http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=223817&cpid=8&CLID=&lid=3&title=Djorkaeff+in+Prem+plea

henryhallandhisbasque
04-09-2004, 09:07 PM
If he's 34, then Joan Collins is 62 and Kanu is 56

Sir.S.C Remembered
04-09-2004, 09:42 PM
Whatever his age is he did a good job for Bolton last year and the years before. HE can play on the right but I am pretty sure he has played central successfully too which is where I would want to see him play mostly although Routledge is not going to play every game this season as thats a lot of pressure so when he is rested (not too much I hope) he can go out on the wing and we can put someone tough in the middle for grinding out results.

I would open negotiations and see what can be done etc

Kirby
05-09-2004, 12:10 AM
You lot are either mental or off your faces on the best smack in town.

Djorkaeff would be ******** fantastic! Just the player we need. Unfortunately I doubt it'll happen.

BUNGLE
05-09-2004, 01:00 AM
undoubtedly a step up in class from Tommy Black who seems to be the creative attacking midfielder on the bench at the moment. Would welcome him in our squad.

hernehilleagle
05-09-2004, 07:42 AM
He's still quality - sign him up

Eagle123
05-09-2004, 11:46 AM
If he was happy to go to Bolton why would it be so unimaginable to come to us? Currently Bolton are a slightly bigger club if you look at recent successes and gates however when Djorkaeff joined them they were in a similar position to us now and lets not forget hes a couple of years older now beggers cant be choosers. Issueing a "come and get me" plea would indicate that clubs are'nt exactly beating down his door. We are a premiership club (for how long remains to be seen) so a 1 year deal with an option for a second year based on appearances, if we stay up and if we want him next year would not be a bad idea for him or us. Obviously his wage demands could be a stumbling block but if you dont ask you'll never know.

Micky Spilane
05-09-2004, 12:08 PM
I think the main stumbling block on him not re-signing for Bolton was his wage demands, everything was agreed and then he asked for more, Allardyce said he was not prepared to go any higher for a player who would not feature in every game. If he was to lower his demands or agree to a performance linked contract then he could well be a good signing for us, obviously though, Allardyce who knows him best doesn't think he can hack playing full-time now in the Premeirship, on balance though I would still like to see him at Selhurst for his creativity and experience in helping a newly promoted club survive in the Premiership.

Trilby
05-09-2004, 12:21 PM
Yes Please. Just the sort of player we need.

N Herts Eagle
05-09-2004, 04:01 PM
Just heard an interview with his agent Willie McKay (sp) said two premiership sides interested has been training with Cannes hoped something would be settled next week...

RDSdaEAGLE
05-09-2004, 04:05 PM
Willy McKay is a tosser.

I doubt we'll get him now, as he's the agent who f*cked us about with the Aliou Cissť deal, and he has a good friendship with Harry Redknapp.

pedro
05-09-2004, 04:19 PM
Portsmouth have Berkovic who plays in the same areas as Djorkaeff although it could be argued that we have Kaviedes. My money is on WBA who are trying to buy anyone with a heartbeat at the moment.

zonin2000
05-09-2004, 04:26 PM
Yes please.

grovesy77
06-09-2004, 07:09 AM
Djorkaeff agent has claimed he expected him to make a retrurn to the premiership within the next week.

Maybe???

Granada allover
06-09-2004, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by AJ8
Still think we should have gone in for Roger Milla...

One more body over the line?

I hear he wants a five-year deal that includes a wake.

Igor Iconic
06-09-2004, 08:24 AM
If he's 34, then Joan Collins is 62 and Kanu is 56

Kanu is 57.

ANDYEAGLE
06-09-2004, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Igor Iconic
Kanu is 57.

Funny you should say that at one time I heard a lot of talk from Nigeria which said years ago Nigeria lied about his age to get him to play in a world youth tournament. From that day his age remained the same and the rumours say he is five or six years older than what he says he is, good news for West Brom.
If Joan Collins is 62 he could well be 57.

Eagle123
06-09-2004, 04:20 PM
Well I for one hope we at least investigate the posibility. His wage demands could well have been the reason Bolton did'nt take up an option to resign him but if thats true he'll be aware that he may have to rethink his demands and be a bit more flexible (especailly if negotiating with a newly promoted club where money has to be watched in case of relegation). If he wants too much money then we dont have to sgn him do we? Like I said before, if you dont ask you dont get. Sitting around speculating on what he might or might not want wont do anyone any good him or us.

nookiebear
06-09-2004, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by AJ8

I think we should go in for Mickey Quinn

kettle
06-09-2004, 11:28 PM
He would be the creative midfielder needed! he would be the missing link in the midfield we crave- someone who would benefit from the Dowie/Harbin training regime and would give our side some valuable Premiership experience. I remember from when we were in the Premiership previously, we lacked that bit of guile -Houghton was bought in 6-7 months too late and as a result we were always going to struggle to stay up. If we could get Djorkajeff on a pay-as-you-play deal that would be great! Berkovic has not done the business at any of his clubs consistently and is not hard working enough.

Raoul Duke
07-09-2004, 12:10 AM
I doubt there are too many people that think that Djorkaeff wouldn't improve our squad, but would he be willing to join us and a relegation battle.

PalaceFan in Alabama
07-09-2004, 12:47 AM
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=309362&cc=5901

Jay_Palace
07-09-2004, 12:53 AM
Would be a tremendous aquisition, and would certainly raise an eyebrow or two!

Sussex Eagle
07-09-2004, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by Raoul Duke
I doubt there are too many people that think that Djorkaeff wouldn't improve our squad, but would he be willing to join us and a relegation battle.

Probably. Bolton were big-time relegation candidates when he went there.

hulkster
07-09-2004, 03:17 AM
This from the Gaurdian website. And that's the Gaurdian so...

Cut adrift from Bolton at the tender age of 96, Youri Djorkaeff thinks he has two more years left in him and has instructed his Mr 10% to find an English club.

Jammy Dodja
07-09-2004, 05:41 AM
Originally posted by nookiebear
I think we should go in for Mickey Quinn

What about Mickey Rourke

LP
07-09-2004, 03:52 PM
Is he out of contract?

Sussex Eagle
07-09-2004, 05:33 PM
He's on his way to Everton apparently.

Riccardo
09-09-2004, 10:01 AM
Sod that, pull out all the stops and lets get him please.

Sir.S.C Remembered
09-09-2004, 02:35 PM
There's a quote from Dowie about how if Bolton can't afford him and are paynig Okocha £40,000 a week then we are not in with a chance which is confusing if Everton can go in for him as didn;t think they would break the bank for him. The quote was in todays CP-FRIS

TheCharmer
21-09-2004, 06:02 AM
he s still being linked with Everton today. Think he could bring us that bit of class we're missing, and just sign him till the end of the season

telegraph eagle
21-09-2004, 12:06 PM
hes now training with fulham according to sky sports

DaveTuttles
21-09-2004, 12:55 PM
can we close this one now please?!?!?!

Djorkaeff set for Fulham deal
by Peter O`Rourke - Last Updated 21 Sep 2004

Former Bolton star Youri Djorkaeff is set to sign for Fulham, skysports.com understands.

The 36-year-old has been without a club since leaving Bolton in the summer, after failing to agree a new deal with The Trotters.

Djorkaeff has now arrived in West London and is set to add to the French contingent at Craven Cottage.

Manager Chris Coleman has been looking at ways to bolster his squad, even though the transfer window was closed and Djorkaeff is the man he has turned to.

Djorkaeff has been training with Fulham while they assess his fitness, but the attacking midfielder has been keeping fit in France and he has impressed enough to land a permanent deal.

It is understood that Djorkaeff has agreed a one-year deal with an option for a further season.

Aki Aki Aki
21-09-2004, 12:59 PM
Just in time for when we meet Fulham :(

TheCharmer
21-09-2004, 01:27 PM
this is ridiculous We re missing out on player s in a position we re lacking. Mismanagement

pedro
21-09-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by TheCharmer
this is ridiculous We re missing out on player s in a position we re lacking. Mismanagement
Not really, can you see a player like Djorkaeff wanting to spend his last season in professional football with a struggling team like Palace. Personally I think he would rather retire than play for a team that is losing week in week out.

LP
21-09-2004, 02:10 PM
We won't pay those wages, it's as simple as that.

Eagle123
21-09-2004, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by LP
We won't pay those wages, it's as simple as that. What wages? We dont know what he wants if we dont ask now do we?

Gazz
21-09-2004, 04:18 PM
how do you know he hasnt been asked?

Eagle123
21-09-2004, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Gazz
how do you know he hasnt been asked? How do you know he has?

TheCharmer
21-09-2004, 04:56 PM
well maybe we need to know!

If we d gone for him earlier before other clubs reacted, we might have got him.
We ve been slow off the mark all summer, Norwich and West Brom have been far more on the ball than us. Norwich getting Bentley on a year s loan is a perfect example.

chav_hater
21-09-2004, 05:03 PM
It's not a case of being slow off the mark, just being unattractive for most players

TheCharmer
21-09-2004, 05:05 PM
this is a misconception.

We re no more unattractive than West Brom or Norwich, everyone thinks they're going down aswell. If anything we re more attractive cos players can live in London. Bentley would have rather stayed in London surely.

ANDYEAGLE
21-09-2004, 05:37 PM
this is a misconception.

We re no more unattractive than West Brom or Norwich, everyone thinks they're going down aswell. If anything we re more attractive cos players can live in London. Bentley would have rather stayed in London surely.

I agree it is ridiculous to say we are an unattractive proposition for players looking for a short term deal. London was always seen as an attraction especially for the foreign players.
We desperately need the experience of players like Djorkaeff and Petit(also available not fit at mom) but it seems it is the Club policy not to go for these players it can only be the wages are outside the parameters laid down by the powers. I am sure ID would be interested in this type of player he as good as said it in an recent interview.
The signing of older class players has proven to be a success at other clubs but can leave the club with a financial burden but surely it should not be out of the question to sign just two for one season. Maybe We have tried who knows?

chav_hater
21-09-2004, 05:44 PM
I concede my previous point.
Surely it makes sense to spend £2 million on wages for a couple of decent players that will keep us up, so that we get the £20 million next year...or is that not good business sense :hmph:

TheCharmer
22-09-2004, 04:20 AM
and it seems now Petit is off to Fulham aswell

Celestial Empire
22-09-2004, 10:36 AM
With Djorkaeff and Petite in mid-field for Fulham, at least the Palace mid-field will be able to keep up. :cool:

st albans
22-09-2004, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by chav_hater
Surely it makes sense to spend £2 million on wages for a couple of decent players that will keep us up, so that we get the £20 million next year...or is that not good business sense :hmph:

not if we go back down, but i do get your point

simon
24-09-2004, 03:54 PM
Not quite done and dusted - off the BBC

Fulham's move to sign former French international striker Youri Djorkaeff has stalled because he cannot agree personal terms at Craven Cottage.
The 36-year-old striker is a free agent after leaving Bolton in the summer, and is training with Fulham.

But Cottagers boss Chris Coleman said: "It's not a done deal.

"I was hoping it would have been done by the end of this week - but at the minute it is far from being done so we'll wait and see."

pedro
27-09-2004, 09:41 PM
Apparantly Djorkaeff considering offers from 3 Premiership clubs and expects to join one of them by the weekend. He did not say who the clubs were but assume it is Everton, Fulham and one other.

James Melody
27-09-2004, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by chav_hater

Which £20 Million is this...

For all the other arm chair chairmen....we do not get £20m a season in the premiership. We were not handed £30m for promotion....

Our share of the Sky Money this season will be about £6million....increased sponsorship and other revenues will bring us up to £10m....

nottsunieagle
28-09-2004, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by pedro
Apparantly Djorkaeff considering offers from 3 Premiership clubs and expects to join one of them by the weekend. He did not say who the clubs were but assume it is Everton, Fulham and one other.

sky sports has said blackburn are in for him now.

trufan
28-09-2004, 05:00 PM
He's signed for Blackburn, apparently.

Next!

CPFC Town
28-09-2004, 10:18 PM
Yup sky sports saying now he has signed for blackburn

GreatGonzo
28-09-2004, 10:30 PM
this is a misconception.

And it would have nothing to do with the fact those 2 teams reached the premiership at teh end of April and started negotiations and loking for players then whereas we started in early June?

The play off side is always at a disadvantage to the other 2 as they are a month later getting themselves sorted!